Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › What was the best home match you ever seen?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 41 Guests

What was the best home match you ever seen?

This thread currently has 15,025 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
August 1, 2011, 9:52am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,668
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from TimMickleburgh
Town 3 Exeter 0 Fourth Division championship Tuesday 2nd May 1972.What a fabulous night,my ears were ringing all the way  home from the sheer volume of noise.

That's the one for me too. I'll never forget that night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 73
August 1, 2011, 10:10am
Guest User
Quoted from barralad
Some great games mentioned but my all-time favourite is Grimsby 3 Barnsley 2. Good Friday in 1982. Barnsley were going for promotion. They went 2-0 up but then Town inspired by Trevor Whymark (easily the most skilful player I've seen in the Black and White stripes) started to play.....
The faces of the Barnsley fans at the end were a mixture of pure shock and rage

My first ever game. I was only 8. Some days I wish Town had lost...

Can't remember much, but I do remember Joe Waters being outstanding.
Reply: 41 - 73
Biccys
August 1, 2011, 10:39am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Sigone already mentioned it, but the 'total football' destruction of Huddersfield should be shown on a loop to anyone who ever has a bad work for Alan Buckley.
The Barnsley 3.2 sticks out, as does the Sheff Utd 4.0. Burnley 6.5 was mad, and even getting hammered by the Hammers was interesting. West Brom 1.0 and 5.1 were special (Anyone remember how hard Grovesy hit that pen?). So few of these games have been in recent years, but the wheel of fortune may be turing around again....We shall soon see.

Agreed. I showed that to a current Town fan who isn't old enough to appreciate how we used to play. He was astounded.

Although the result was great, we demolished a Doncaster side 5-0 at home and it was...expected...! The atmosphere wasn't particularly great and the goals just kept coming.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 73
Agedmariner
August 1, 2011, 12:47pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Four games to pick from all long time agao

56/57 or 57/58 Season 3-1 against Fulham we ran rings round Jonney Haynes (the brylcream boy!) and co.
72 3-0 Exeter like others can still hear the noise over 23,000 in the ground fantastic.
79/80 4-0 Sheffield U they had Alex Sabella playing for them, he got firmly taken out once by town defense early on and then vanished for the rest of the game.
79/80 2-1 Everton after they scored first a very well worked goal from a corner, in to the near post headed out by their player the bang into the back of the net from the edge of the area, thought we were in for a hammering then Brolly getting 2 think it was the second one he nutmeged Southall, then Everton camped in our half, could still be there and it would still be 2-1, never seen Town so determined to hold a lead, no panic just great defending, played for each other and Tony Ford could have made it safe but shot at the keeper, think he was just too knackered to hit the target.   
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 73
FishOutOfWater
August 1, 2011, 2:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Agedmariner
Four games to pick from all long time agao

56/57 or 57/58 Season 3-1 against Fulham we ran rings round Jonney Haynes (the brylcream boy!) and co.
72 3-0 Exeter like others can still hear the noise over 23,000 in the ground fantastic.
79/80 4-0 Sheffield U they had Alex Sabella playing for them, he got firmly taken out once by town defense early on and then vanished for the rest of the game.
79/80 2-1 Everton after they scored first a very well worked goal from a corner, in to the near post headed out by their player the bang into the back of the net from the edge of the area, thought we were in for a hammering then Brolly getting 2 think it was the second one he nutmeged Southall, then Everton camped in our half, could still be there and it would still be 2-1, never seen Town so determined to hold a lead, no panic just great defending, played for each other and Tony Ford could have made it safe but shot at the keeper, think he was just too knackered to hit the target.   

All great days....the first because it was actually the day I was born!

And the other three matches are some of the best in my lifetime

I am so glad I was there at each of those, in the Pontoon along with the other thousands of Mariners' fans witnessing Town making their mark....

Those were the days my friend  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 73
jock dock tower
August 1, 2011, 4:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Far too many to mention, but the West Ham 65 League Cup tie was something else. Anyone remember us beating Hull 1-0 in the 66-7 season when they went up as champions from division 3 and John Fielding scored the winning goal? Thousands of hully gullies in the Osmond with black and gold brollies. Nobody expected the win which made it all the sweeter.
Away it has to be the Wimbledon FACup game

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 73
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 1, 2011, 6:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The Exeter and Everton games were superb for atmosphere and for Town performances. I've written about the Everton game before. The Exeter game and the crowd were instrumental in their manager John Newman coming here later on and starting the dynasty that died under Mike Lyons. For atmosphere as well, the 2-2 against West Ham in the League Cup QF against West Ham in 1965 takes some beating.

The Tuesday night of the 7-1 against Scunthorpe was brilliant. At the time Rod Green had been injured and Dave Worthington had filled in at CF for the previous game (or 2?). In fact Town had 3 right backs in the side at Crystal Palace on the Saturday - Jimmy Bloomer at RB, Jim Thompson in midfield and Worthington up front. Bobby Ross had played RW. But Green was back that night with a hat trick and Brian Hill was devastating on the left wing. Clemence was in their goal but as far as I remember, Keegan wasn't in their team. He certainly wasn't in the programme anyway.

The 4-0 against Sheff.U was probably Joe Water's best ever game for Town. They just didn't know how to stop him and the way Drinkell made space for him to get into the box was an object lesson in forward play.

My all time favourite performance from the old days was the night we beat Southampton 3-2 with 2 goals from my hero Chips and one from Ralph Hunt. Johnny Scott and Jimmy Fell were unstoppable that night in 1961. The football from both sides was tremendous. I think Brian Clifton was playing for Southampton but the best player on the pitch by a mile was Don Donovan. Pure class.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 73
grimsby pete
August 1, 2011, 7:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
One that sticks in my mind is when we beat Wolves 5-1 in the league,

Wilkinson and Lund up front with Drinkell on the bench,

It was on the telly and we completely outplayed a good Wolves team,

I can not remember the exact year,

Oh I do miss Icey.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 73
barralad
August 1, 2011, 8:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from grimsby pete
One that sticks in my mind is when we beat Wolves 5-1 in the league,

Wilkinson and Lund up front with Drinkell on the bench,

It was on the telly and we completely outplayed a good Wolves team,

I can not remember the exact year,

Oh I do miss Icey.

It was 1984/85 Pete. Seven days later we got tonked 4-2 at a home by a very, very good Fulham side.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 73
Mariner Ronnie
August 1, 2011, 8:36pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
3 of my faves:
5-1 against lincoln (08 - 09)
3-0 against gillingham (08 - 09)
2-0 against barnet (09 - 10)
last one i can still feel the immensity every time i see that atkinson goal

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › What was the best home match you ever seen?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.