10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
November 26, 2015, 9:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Davec

Also there attendance at Boreham Wood last night wss very impressive, don't think we would take that many on a cold Tuesday night at the back end of November

How many weeks have you been following football ?

Bizarre statement, so far off the truth I suspect a troll.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 91
Les Brechin
November 26, 2015, 10:02am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from RoboCod

How many weeks have you been following football ?

Bizarre statement, so far off the truth I suspect a troll.

Obviously a WUM if he doesn't think that we'd take over 300 to a London area evening game!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 91
Davec
November 26, 2015, 10:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Robocod,
I follow Grimsby home and away, every game, our away support is magnificent, but If we played Boreham Wood last night instead of Lincoln, I don't think we would have took as many as them, I would say 300 odd, just falling short of what they took.

No that is not a mock on our away support as like I said it is magnificent

Actually truth be told I've only been registered for a week or so, when I decided to register part of me was telling me not to because there are a few people who don't read posts correctly and carefully before jumping on their high horse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 91
diehardmariner
November 26, 2015, 10:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,755
Gold Stars: 544
Lincoln to Borehamwood is just over 2 hours down the A46/A1, hardly a journey to the end of the earth.

300 for any away game in this league shouldn't be sniffed at.  But you can't compare their away followings to ours, apples and pears.  They're not as well supported as us, either home or away.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 91
RoboCod
November 26, 2015, 10:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
There's also the novelty aspect of them popping into the top 5 and success starved fans jumping on board, though I 'd expect Town to take 300 even if we were mid-table.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 91
Davec
November 26, 2015, 10:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Ok maybe I was wrong and misguided to say we wouldn't take that many, a mistake on my part.

But still the number they took is impressive.

Overall our support is better, home and away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 91
Rik e B
November 26, 2015, 11:07am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Don't get disheartened Dave, you'll wind up in lots of arguments on here but as long as you don't take it to heart and turn to mud slinging there is some great informed debate to be had! More and more differing opinions can only enrich it on here.

You may have discounted the exiles/London Mariners -every game near London seems to get a boost in away numbers despite seeming so far from our Grimsby base. Only Barrow in recent times has been comparitevely low in numbers and that was a Tuesday night in the back end of nowhere with severe storm weather warnings -with that factored in was still a good show really.

Yes I'd say Lincoln fans are clearly on a high, put yourself in their shoes, several years mid table down here would be extremely dreary. At least we are always pretty much guaranteed a promotion roller coaster keeping up our interest right to the death.

But for me all the positional jostling means little right now in this tight division this year. The one focus (for me) is that top slot and the points difference in hunting that down. We've got it in our arsenal and touch wood are clicking into gear now so laser like focus should be on that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 91
grimsby pete
November 26, 2015, 11:12am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Davec
Ok maybe I was wrong and misguided to say we wouldn't take that many, a mistake on my part.

But still the number they took is impressive.

Overall our support is better, home and away

Taking 300 away on a Tuesday night is impressive  in this league,

BUT

As Rik said, we have so many exiles living down south we would always have a good turnout,

Do not let the name calling get to you mate.( it does go on here a bit )

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 91
RoboCod
November 26, 2015, 11:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
DaveC, no problem, it just seemed a very odd claim give that the only thing that has remained constant in Towns recent topsy turvy footballing world is their extraordinary away support.
Might sound cliched but there's also the quality of that support. Read on the Gimps board that while it was a good turnout it added little as they were pinned back in their own half for most of the second half and they were subdued. That sounds like a bunch of 300 fans who are not used to being together, and there's the problem with the bandwagon jumpers.

At Eastleigh (and I think you may have been there to witness this) the Town fans were deafening, even at 0-0. I don't get to many away games but I could not believe how loud the Town fans sounded on the radio!
An away win is great but it's always good to hear the opposition home fans praise our support and the noise they made.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 91
Mariner16
November 26, 2015, 11:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 4
Didn't we have 300 on a cold tuesday at Dover?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 91
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › GIMPS

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.