Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: OllieGTFC, November 21, 2015, 5:30pm
Just been on the GIMPS forum there absolutely buzzing there in the play offs and claiming there in a promotion battle now ahah they will soon bottle it
Posted by: northbankmariner, November 21, 2015, 5:35pm; Reply: 1
Hate to say it but they ARE in a promotion battle, it is a really tight top half of the table, anyone putting a few good results together can make a serious claim for the top.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, November 21, 2015, 5:36pm; Reply: 2
If we had to go through the playoffs again, surely beating the Gimps at Wembeley would be the be the best way to be promoted
Posted by: buckstown, November 21, 2015, 5:41pm; Reply: 3
And losing to them would be the biggest nail in the most enormous coffin ever built for the fattest bloke in the world. Let's win the league just in case
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, November 21, 2015, 5:44pm; Reply: 4
The fishy is always so negative  ;) :P ;D
Posted by: Perkins, November 21, 2015, 5:49pm; Reply: 5
If we had to go through the playoffs again, surely beating the Gimps at Wembeley would be the be the best way to be promoted

It would,but, if we didnt beat them it would be unbearable.

Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, November 21, 2015, 5:51pm; Reply: 6
If every team win there game in hand we drop to six thats how tight it is, not bothered about other teams though we keep doing what we are doing and we will be fine
Posted by: sydney, November 21, 2015, 6:00pm; Reply: 7
If we have to suffer the playoffs then dont want Gimps
Dont want anything to do with their disconcerting ways
Great Great result today and fans sounded amazing , one of those special away days
Massive 3 points next week, so....
Come on Town!!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 21, 2015, 6:10pm; Reply: 8
intercourse THE PLAYOFFS.
Posted by: Grim74, November 21, 2015, 6:30pm; Reply: 9
I wouldn't worry about the bell ringing tramps, come January after a good beating in cleethorpes their team will be back down to mid table with a long term Liam Hearn injury.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 21, 2015, 6:36pm; Reply: 10
The beauty about the situation at the moment is that teams are bound to take points off each other on a regular basis. We currently have 39 points from 22 games which over a 46 match season would give us a total of 81 points and a top 3 place. If we finish in the top five this year we won't be in this league next season because we're such a difficult team to beat over 90 minutes and the play offs will take us back up to the Football League. Am stull convinced though that we will go on one of those amazing runs - have we started it already - that will take us straight back up?
Posted by: ginnywings, November 21, 2015, 6:46pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from jock dock tower
The beauty about the situation at the moment is that teams are bound to take points off each other on a regular basis. We currently have 39 points from 22 games which over a 46 match season would give us a total of 81 points and a top 3 place. If we finish in the top five this year we won't be in this league next season because we're such a difficult team to beat over 90 minutes and the play offs will take us back up to the Football League. Am stull convinced though that we will go on one of those amazing runs - have we started it already - that will take us straight back up?

I hope so. Successive wins propel you up the league quickly. It took us an age to reach 30 points with all the draws but even a draw against Kiddy next week would see us go from 30 to 40 points in 4 games. Next Saturday is the halfway point in the league and if we can up our game for the remaining fixtures, we will be there or thereabouts.
Posted by: stevethefish, November 21, 2015, 6:47pm; Reply: 12
Win next Saturday and that really puts teams under pressure before we go into the fun and games in the cup and trophy!
Posted by: nightrider, November 21, 2015, 6:56pm; Reply: 13
intercourse the draw, we need to win
Posted by: ginnywings, November 21, 2015, 6:58pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from nightrider
intercourse the draw, we need to win

Agreed but things don't always go the way you expect in football, which is what makes the game so great. We should beat Kiddy but we should have beat them first game too.
Posted by: Helgy, November 21, 2015, 6:58pm; Reply: 15
Win our game in hand Wednesday & we go 3rd but results are earned on the pitch.
Have to give Chris Moyses massive credit he's put together a team that wants to win & hates to lose.
Hopefully we will take a few more this time round.

Posted by: ginnywings, November 21, 2015, 7:02pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Helgy
Have to give Chris Moyses massive credit he's put together a team that wants to win & hates to lose.

Must say i am surprised at your current position Helgy but as you say, results are earned on the pitch. Should make for a better derby this season.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 21, 2015, 7:40pm; Reply: 17
Town 5   Lincoln  1

Will do for me at the play off final at Wembley,
Posted by: The Yard Dog, November 21, 2015, 8:16pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Helgy

I have it on good  authority that Lincoln have put everything in to getting out of this league in the next 2 seasons, hence the 2 year contracts handed out.
If he fails to do so, it back to the basement bargains.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 21, 2015, 9:51pm; Reply: 19
It's 2 from 3 between us Cheltenham and Village Green.  Lincoln have no depth in their squad.

The fact that they are getting excited over the play offs illustrates a lack of ambition and a "just happy to be part of it!" mentality which does not get you up.

Would love to see that fat girl private Rhead at Wembley on the TV ((of course when I am booking my hotels for the league 2 venues as we would have gone up by then) he would not last 15 mins on a pitch that size.

They would not win a play off final as the ref would not tolerate their fowling, dicing & cheating in such a big televised game.    
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 21, 2015, 9:52pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from HertsGTFC
It's 2 from 3 between us Cheltenham and Village Green.  Lincoln have no depth in their squad.

The fact that they are getting excited over the play offs illustrates a lack of ambition and a "just happy to be part of it!" mentality which does not get you up.

Would love to see that fat girl private Rhead at Wembley on the TV ((of course when I am booking my hotels for the league 2 venues as we would have gone up by then) he would not last 15 mins on a pitch that size.

They would not win a play off final as the ref would not tolerate their fowling, dicing & cheating in such a big televised game.    

Diving..

Posted by: Mariner_09, November 21, 2015, 10:43pm; Reply: 21
I don't care who, why or how we get up so long as we do!
Posted by: blundellpork, November 22, 2015, 12:37am; Reply: 22
Perhaps they are dicing the fowl?  ;D
Posted by: aldi_01, November 22, 2015, 8:39am; Reply: 23
As ever, the sensible Lincoln fans are taking it all in with an element of caution. Like any team, a couple of injuries and likely suspensions and it can all change.

They are already playing the 'we just need to win our game in hand' game, we all know how that can end.

I think some toothless bell ringing inbreds must work at the echo though. Getting all excited this week about getting in the playoffs. Not sure they realise that you have to still win games, once you're in doesn't mean they get to stay in.

January could be key for Lincoln. They've still got money issues but if they are still kicking about the playoffs or top 6/7 surely they've got to go for it and invest? Question is, can they afford to?
Posted by: Garth, November 22, 2015, 9:28am; Reply: 24
Stop this bollox talk about Lincoln getting into a play off position, people on here often accuse them of ogling at us and now we are guilty of doing the same.
Good luck to them whatever,  I`d sooner them than FGR, its only half way through the season lots of swings and roudabouts yet strong squads etc UTM
Posted by: MarinerWY, November 22, 2015, 9:46am; Reply: 25
Couldn't really care. They are getting excited 'cos their team is doing well at the moment, not sure I can really take issue or mock that too much. I'm pretty buzzing after a Town win and FGR vs. Cheltenham draw.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 22, 2015, 10:55am; Reply: 26
Quoted from MarinerWY
Couldn't really care. They are getting excited 'cos their team is doing well at the moment, not sure I can really take issue or mock that too much. I'm pretty buzzing after a Town win and FGR vs. Cheltenham draw.

Agree I live over here & most of their fans do not begrudge town doing well but obviously want the Chimps to do better, & thats same why I feel. Ideally both us would go up & Scunny come down giving us some good local derbies.

Have to say I am very surprised at how well they have done to date and given their fixtures up until Christmas our match with them could be a real 6 pointer. He has set his stall out to sign players who will give 100 per cent, just like we wanted a few seasons back, & seems to have succeeded with Bradders a stand out player I hear.

Hopefully, our win yesterday is the real catalyst to getting us fighting for top spot.
Posted by: rancido, November 22, 2015, 11:57am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Grim74
I wouldn't worry about the bell ringing tramps, come January after a good beating in cleethorpes their team will be back down to mid table with a long term Liam Hearn injury.

.....and Rhead in and out of a health farm to control his weight.
Posted by: Helgy, November 22, 2015, 1:18pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from aldi_01
As ever, the sensible Lincoln fans are taking it all in with an element of caution. Like any team, a couple of injuries and likely suspensions and it can all change.

They are already playing the 'we just need to win our game in hand' game, we all know how that can end.

I think some toothless bell ringing inbreds must work at the echo though. Getting all excited this week about getting in the playoffs. Not sure they realise that you have to still win games, once you're in doesn't mean they get to stay in.

January could be key for Lincoln. They've still got money issues but if they are still kicking about the playoffs or top 6/7 surely they've got to go for it and invest? Question is, can they afford to?

The two Echo lads are not from Lincoln, might not have money issues soon ;-)

Posted by: Kymariner12, November 22, 2015, 1:57pm; Reply: 29
Wouldn't be surprised if FGR are top come the new year. Their festive fixtures on paper are relatively easy. Torquay twice, Guiseley and Kidderminster
Posted by: RichMariner, November 22, 2015, 3:57pm; Reply: 30
In all honesty I don't see Lincoln making the play-offs.

But if they do, and they play us, it'll be the battle of two teams who have each lost their last four play-off ventures!

I'm sure they got close to the play-offs last year after they beat us at BP, but they soon fell away again. I don't think, even now, they have the squad to sustain this form until May.

But let's not worry about others. If we keep winning, we won't need to care about what the teams around us do.
Posted by: mariner91, November 22, 2015, 4:13pm; Reply: 31
Agree with Rich. They're going well at the minute but even looking at their starting line up, it doesn't look like an eleven that will make the play offs. They've even less strength in depth. Might start sticking a fiver on them to win each game now, my jinx will do for them.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, November 22, 2015, 5:13pm; Reply: 32
Either way, I hope they are up there when we play them at Christmas. It will make for a good spectacle and hopefully see them bring more than 600 fans for once.
Posted by: lukeo, November 22, 2015, 5:19pm; Reply: 33
I'd like to see Lincoln finish top 5, aslong as we finish above them. Would be nice for us and them to get promoted same season
Posted by: EY Mariner, November 22, 2015, 11:29pm; Reply: 34
I thought Lincoln might be in the mix for the playoffs at the beginning of the season, so, while they're doing better than I expected, I'm not surprised to see them doing well. Their challenge, given this is the first year they've been in contention at the top end since they dropped into this league, is going to be to sustain it.
Posted by: Helgy, November 23, 2015, 7:42pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from mariner91
Agree with Rich. They're going well at the minute but even looking at their starting line up, it doesn't look like an eleven that will make the play offs. They've even less strength in depth. Might start sticking a fiver on them to win each game now, my jinx will do for them.

That's what a few of our fans said at the start of the season we lacked strength in depth but pre season I was thinking how's the manager going to keep the squad happy.
We had both Stanley & Sparrow cm's out injured for a few weeks but those who came it performed well.
It seemed a seamless swap not had that for years.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 23, 2015, 7:56pm; Reply: 36
If I could choose any other team to go up with us this season,

It would be Lincoln,

Another good derby game in the league for us both next season.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 23, 2015, 8:54pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from grimsby pete
If I could choose any other team to go up with us this season,

It would be Lincoln,

Another good derby game in the league for us both next season.

Not for me, hope they rot in non league and ideally get relegated again. Very quick to gloat when we got relegated.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 23, 2015, 9:03pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from moosey_club

Not for me, hope they rot in non league and ideally get relegated again. Very quick to gloat when we got relegated.

Same for me fuk em
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 23, 2015, 9:07pm; Reply: 39
Having worked in the city of the damned for 25 years and getting daily stick for being a Town supporter ,sod em.
Posted by: chicaneuk, November 23, 2015, 9:19pm; Reply: 40
I hope to god we don't end up in the playoffs against them.. I'm not even a life long town fan, but I'm not sure I could handle the prospect of losing to Lincoln.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 23, 2015, 9:38pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from moosey_club

So you would rather Cheltenham went up and not go to their ground,

Than nip up the road with 2,000 other Mariners to see us beat our nearest neighbours ( in L2 )?
Posted by: mariner91, November 23, 2015, 10:01pm; Reply: 42
Had to chuckle at someone on Vital saying we're jealous of the "league's most lethal strike force". Last time I checked, Amond and Bogle between them had more goals than Rhead and Hearn. And they don't have to dive on the floor to get half their goals.
Posted by: nightrider, November 23, 2015, 10:36pm; Reply: 43
How many pens has Amond scored?
Posted by: aldi_01, November 23, 2015, 11:09pm; Reply: 44
A rather sensible Gimps fan at work made a valid point today; they're already playing at what he believes to be their full speed so to speak and he's fully aware that it's highly unlikely that they'll sustain it.

On the other hand he's convinced we haven't even got going yet, similarly for Cheltenham.
Posted by: Helgy, November 23, 2015, 11:22pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from aldi_01
A rather sensible Gimps fan at work made a valid point today; they're already playing at what he believes to be their full speed so to speak and he's fully aware that it's highly unlikely that they'll sustain it.

On the other hand he's convinced we haven't even got going yet, similarly for Cheltenham.

Playing at full speed nah against Torquay they were poor,in the 1st half we hit the bar twice, post once & had 2 goals disallowed.
Tranmere was a tough game but then again they didn't threaten our goal.
Whitehawk did us a favour recently bit of a wake up call.
Time will tell I suppose personally I am not getting carried away just enjoying it.

Posted by: diehardmariner, November 24, 2015, 10:32am; Reply: 46
Can only go on what I saw in the game earlier in the season.  Based just on that Lincoln don't look anything like a team capable of reaching the top 5, as weak as this league is this season.

Leading at home against ten-men for over half of the game you would expect any side of quality to at least press on and destroy the opposition, not sit back and invite pressure.  Lincoln's inability to even keep the ball was the most telling story of the day.

That said it could have been an off day.  A lot of new players there, takes time to gel etc.  We've been there very recently and never has promotion been gained on one performance.  

I don't buy into this fierce rivalry crap.  It's something drummed up because we're leagues behind our traditional rivals.  Geographically they're our rivals but that's it, more like a distant cousin who you look out for and whilst not actually caring that much still like to see them do well.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the derby game spectacle and I think the interest it creates is brilliant.  It's just a poor replacement for the days when we loved giving the likes of Sheffield Wednesday bloody noses.

I'm looking forward to game between Xmas and New Year, but it's no different from the game before and after.  We need to win to gain the 3 points.  The bragging rights are secondary.  
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, November 24, 2015, 11:11am; Reply: 47
Both clubs should continue to preserve their respective traditions so that everyone is comfortable and know where they stand:-
Grimsby needs to a) continue to run its finances in a relatively responsible way which means being one of the few professional clubs outside the premier league not to have entered into administration, b) continue to have a team which plays proper football by keeping the ball on the ground in an attractive pass and move style, c) continue to have the best set of fans outside the top 2 tiers.
Lincoln needs to a) continue to run its finances like a pound shop, b) continue to play an ugly, hoof it up the field, kick the excrement out of the opposition style of play, c) continue to have fans who wouldn't recognise a proper game of football if the players weren't wearing wellies.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), November 24, 2015, 11:23am; Reply: 48
Quoted from A Brace Of Tees
Both clubs should continue to preserve their respective traditions so that everyone is comfortable and know where they stand:-
Grimsby needs to a) continue to run its finances in a relatively responsible way which means being one of the few professional clubs outside the premier league not to have entered into administration, b) continue to have a team which plays proper football by keeping the ball on the ground in an attractive pass and move style, c) continue to have the best set of fans outside the top 2 tiers.
Lincoln needs to a) continue to run its finances like a pound shop, b) continue to play an ugly, hoof it up the field, kick the excrement out of the opposition style of play, c) continue to have fans who wouldn't recognise a proper game of football if the players weren't wearing wellies.

Now that is what I call a quality post.

Posted by: 120790 (Guest), November 24, 2015, 11:42am; Reply: 49
Quoted from Helgy

Playing at full speed nah against Torquay they were poor,in the 1st half we hit the bar twice, post once & had 2 goals disallowed.
Tranmere was a tough game but then again they didn't threaten our goal.
Whitehawk did us a favour recently bit of a wake up call.
Time will tell I suppose personally I am not getting carried away just enjoying it.

Helgy, I've just had a little look on your message-board. I find it odd that your supporters are debating the virtues of Rhead and Hearn over Amond and Bogle. Are they goals obsessed? They ought to consider defendig a bit too maybe. But seen as this seem's to be their fixation then I would offer you this.

Don't they realise that getting out of this blasted league is not about two players, but that in any event Amond and Bogle have scored more than your two?

Don't they realise that we also have two very good quality strikers as well as Amond and Bogle?

Don't they realise we have a number of wider players that are very comfortable if they are needed to play up front too?

Don't they realise that our squad has goals in it all over the place and is the most potent goal scoring outfit in the top six divisions, where we have scored a massive 11 goals more than Lincoln?

Helgy, you had better tell your lot not to pin their hopes all on Rhead and Hearn. You need to be able to find goals from all over the shop Helgy, because you can stake your mortgage on injuries, suspensions and dry patches from Hearn and Rhead.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 24, 2015, 12:04pm; Reply: 50
Rhead and Hearn are the best duo cos a Torquay journey said so. They stick their head into the top 5 for the first time in about 4 years and the dream is on.

There's no helping them, I fear even Helgy has been sucked into Planet Vital Gimps, an alternate reality where no one with any common sense is allowed.

Let's see what's what in a couple of months.
Posted by: bradzmilne, November 24, 2015, 2:21pm; Reply: 51
I firmly believe if Lincoln don't go up within the next couple of years, they never will.
Posted by: mariner91, November 24, 2015, 3:36pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from bradzmilne
I firmly believe if Lincoln don't go up within the next couple of years, they never will.

Could say the same for us.
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 24, 2015, 3:54pm; Reply: 53
Not bothered about them,only bothered how we do.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 24, 2015, 6:21pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from grimsby pete

Than nip up the road with 2,000 other Mariners to see us beat our nearest neighbours ( in L2 )?

If we go up i couldnt give a sh1t who went with us....apart from Lincoln....if it was them then so be it but much rather it not be.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, November 24, 2015, 6:38pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from grimsby pete

Why would we not go to Cheltenham? it's a cracking drinking town.
Posted by: lukeo, November 24, 2015, 7:29pm; Reply: 56
less of the digs at Helgy, he's been a poster on here for years and only giving his opinion or his fellow fans.

IF I could choose 2 tears to be promoted selfishly I'd say Town and Torquay because I live down this way (ish)
Posted by: OllieGTFC, November 25, 2015, 1:20pm; Reply: 57
Apparently to the gimps we are worried, I think top 5 have gone to there heads haven't been in the top 5 for almost 10years in league 2 aha, they will soon fade away
Posted by: SamTheMariner, November 25, 2015, 1:26pm; Reply: 58
if I were to pick 2 from Podge, Bogle, Rhead and Hearn, if they were all playint to their maximum potential I'd pick Amond and Hearn purely because we'd score a shed load of goals with those 2 up front, but I'm still very happy with our striking set-up at the moment.
Posted by: Helgy, November 25, 2015, 6:39pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from RoboCod
Rhead and Hearn are the best duo cos a Torquay journey said so. They stick their head into the top 5 for the first time in about 4 years and the dream is on.

There's no helping them, I fear even Helgy has been sucked into Planet Vital Gimps, an alternate reality where no one with any common sense is allowed.

Let's see what's what in a couple of months.

No feet firmly on the ground, i very much loved by a few on planet vital & the feeling of love towards them is mutual but alas they never repeat that love to you in person if you get my drift ;-)

Next few months is definitely crucial from what i have been told its all positive & yes we are not used to it.

After 5 years of utter dross & lets be honest you too know that feeling ,it's been painful to go but we did.
For once we are on the up & i am just enjoying that.
Posted by: Helgy, November 25, 2015, 6:54pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from 120790

Helgy, I've just had a little look on your message-board. I find it odd that your supporters are debating the virtues of Rhead and Hearn over Amond and Bogle. Are they goals obsessed? They ought to consider defendig a bit too maybe. But seen as this seem's to be their fixation then I would offer you this.

Don't they realise that getting out of this blasted league is not about two players, but that in any event Amond and Bogle have scored more than your two?

Don't they realise that we also have two very good quality strikers as well as Amond and Bogle?

Don't they realise we have a number of wider players that are very comfortable if they are needed to play up front too?

Don't they realise that our squad has goals in it all over the place and is the most potent goal scoring outfit in the top six divisions, where we have scored a massive 11 goals more than Lincoln?

Helgy, you had better tell your lot not to pin their hopes all on Rhead and Hearn. You need to be able to find goals from all over the shop Helgy, because you can stake your mortgage on injuries, suspensions and dry patches from Hearn and Rhead.

Rhead has been  revelation 14 goals , he just does not look like a footballer but brings in so much.
Hearn is starting to find his way, massive injuries that would have ended anyone else's career.
He must have a massive will power to & belief in himself to keep going when so many would have given up.
I have the upmost respect for him.

To be fair i know nothing about your players so i don't comment but we too have good wide players, i like the fact you judge us on the game against us.
This team hates to lose & are winners.

Message boards you get good viewpoints & bad view point on any board.

Posted by: ginnywings, November 25, 2015, 7:50pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Helgy

Rhead has been  revelation 14 goals , he just does not look like a footballer but brings in so much.
Hearn is starting to find his way, massive injuries that would have ended anyone else's career.
He must have a massive will power to & belief in himself to keep going when so many would have given up.
I have the upmost respect for him.

To be fair i know nothing about your players so i don't comment but we too have good wide players, i like the fact you judge us on the game against us.
This team hates to lose & are winners.

Message boards you get good viewpoints & bad view point on any board.

Girth.  ;)
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, November 25, 2015, 7:52pm; Reply: 62
Lincoln play tonight hopefully they lose ir draw
Posted by: Marinerz93, November 25, 2015, 7:58pm; Reply: 63
Lincoln

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/m74852.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: mariner91, November 25, 2015, 8:24pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
Lincoln play tonight hopefully they lose ir draw

I put a tenner on them, I'd love to lose it.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 25, 2015, 9:41pm; Reply: 65
I'd love to play Lincoln in L2 next year, us up as Champions of course. Better for the area to have more Football League teams and I'd hate for them to end up going bust through lack of league football and in the process forever end our rivalry.

Let's be honest they are not our real rivals anyway but seeing as Hull have skyrocketed to untouchable  realms we can only dream of perhaps they slowly taking that slot.

All this being said I'll never actually root for them but they are no concern for me -we are a cut above.
Posted by: Grim up north, November 25, 2015, 9:48pm; Reply: 66
Just had a look on their site and they honestly talk like they are a cut above . Having worked there for a few years I hope they all live either on steep hill or the Brayford as the rest is as big a shithole as every other town in the uk. They're now harping about the state of the away end and how they were crammed ,Christ they only bring a skateboard full each time .
Posted by: Rik e B, November 25, 2015, 9:58pm; Reply: 67
Bless em, this thread better stop expanding or they'll be getting delusions of grandeur thinking we obsessed with them.

Let them have their moment in the Sun, we'll dispatch them with aplomb this festive Season I'm sure and that's all I'm really worried about.

The rivalry is fun but I've no real hate for them and hate to say it out loud but Lincoln seems like a lovely place to me and a great (and friendly) night out full of harmless students.
Posted by: Davec, November 26, 2015, 7:28am; Reply: 68
As much as we don't like them doing well, the matter of the fact is, they are doing well.

Paul Farman is arguably in better form than James Mckeown this season.

They have an ugly style of play but it seems to be effective doesn't it? It's picking up the points, I have no doubt we have a better team than them but I do think Lincoln will finish high this season, I wouldn't say play offs are nailed on but certainly top 8 with a chance of reaching the play offs.

I know the manager personally and he is firmly keeping his feet on the ground. And he's got an ugly but effective style of play.

Also there attendance at Boreham Wood last night wss very impressive, don't think we would take that many on a cold Tuesday night at the back end of November
Posted by: ginnywings, November 26, 2015, 8:53am; Reply: 69
We are half way through the season. Let's see what's what at the end as nobody really knows how it will pan out. One thing we do know is that we have finished in the top 5 in each of the last 3 seasons and i believe we have a better squad now, which to me suggests we will at least make the play offs. Coupled to that, there isn't a stand out side in the league and it's there for the taking. We are better equipped to do so than Lincoln IMO.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 26, 2015, 9:57am; Reply: 70
Quoted from Davec

Also there attendance at Boreham Wood last night wss very impressive, don't think we would take that many on a cold Tuesday night at the back end of November

How many weeks have you been following football ?

Bizarre statement, so far off the truth I suspect a troll.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 26, 2015, 10:02am; Reply: 71
Quoted from RoboCod

How many weeks have you been following football ?

Bizarre statement, so far off the truth I suspect a troll.

Obviously a WUM if he doesn't think that we'd take over 300 to a London area evening game!
Posted by: Davec, November 26, 2015, 10:03am; Reply: 72
Robocod,
I follow Grimsby home and away, every game, our away support is magnificent, but If we played Boreham Wood last night instead of Lincoln, I don't think we would have took as many as them, I would say 300 odd, just falling short of what they took.

No that is not a mock on our away support as like I said it is magnificent

Actually truth be told I've only been registered for a week or so, when I decided to register part of me was telling me not to because there are a few people who don't read posts correctly and carefully before jumping on their high horse.
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 26, 2015, 10:31am; Reply: 73
Lincoln to Borehamwood is just over 2 hours down the A46/A1, hardly a journey to the end of the earth.

300 for any away game in this league shouldn't be sniffed at.  But you can't compare their away followings to ours, apples and pears.  They're not as well supported as us, either home or away.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 26, 2015, 10:37am; Reply: 74
There's also the novelty aspect of them popping into the top 5 and success starved fans jumping on board, though I 'd expect Town to take 300 even if we were mid-table.
Posted by: Davec, November 26, 2015, 10:48am; Reply: 75
Ok maybe I was wrong and misguided to say we wouldn't take that many, a mistake on my part.

But still the number they took is impressive.

Overall our support is better, home and away
Posted by: Rik e B, November 26, 2015, 11:07am; Reply: 76
Don't get disheartened Dave, you'll wind up in lots of arguments on here but as long as you don't take it to heart and turn to mud slinging there is some great informed debate to be had! More and more differing opinions can only enrich it on here.

You may have discounted the exiles/London Mariners -every game near London seems to get a boost in away numbers despite seeming so far from our Grimsby base. Only Barrow in recent times has been comparitevely low in numbers and that was a Tuesday night in the back end of nowhere with severe storm weather warnings -with that factored in was still a good show really.

Yes I'd say Lincoln fans are clearly on a high, put yourself in their shoes, several years mid table down here would be extremely dreary. At least we are always pretty much guaranteed a promotion roller coaster keeping up our interest right to the death.

But for me all the positional jostling means little right now in this tight division this year. The one focus (for me) is that top slot and the points difference in hunting that down. We've got it in our arsenal and touch wood are clicking into gear now so laser like focus should be on that.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 26, 2015, 11:12am; Reply: 77
Quoted from Davec
Ok maybe I was wrong and misguided to say we wouldn't take that many, a mistake on my part.

But still the number they took is impressive.

Overall our support is better, home and away

Taking 300 away on a Tuesday night is impressive  in this league,

BUT

As Rik said, we have so many exiles living down south we would always have a good turnout,

Do not let the name calling get to you mate.( it does go on here a bit )
Posted by: RoboCod, November 26, 2015, 11:28am; Reply: 78
DaveC, no problem, it just seemed a very odd claim give that the only thing that has remained constant in Towns recent topsy turvy footballing world is their extraordinary away support.
Might sound cliched but there's also the quality of that support. Read on the Gimps board that while it was a good turnout it added little as they were pinned back in their own half for most of the second half and they were subdued. That sounds like a bunch of 300 fans who are not used to being together, and there's the problem with the bandwagon jumpers.

At Eastleigh (and I think you may have been there to witness this) the Town fans were deafening, even at 0-0. I don't get to many away games but I could not believe how loud the Town fans sounded on the radio!
An away win is great but it's always good to hear the opposition home fans praise our support and the noise they made.
Posted by: Mariner16, November 26, 2015, 11:59am; Reply: 79
Didn't we have 300 on a cold tuesday at Dover?
Posted by: Davec, November 26, 2015, 12:35pm; Reply: 80
That's fair enough RoboCod, I was at Eastleigh and our fans were a different class, as they often are
Posted by: Rik e B, November 26, 2015, 12:52pm; Reply: 81
Yeah the numbers at far outposts like Dover have been truly outstanding these last few years, if remember rightly we have even outnumbered the home fans sometimes at place like these despite being several hours from our home base!
Posted by: ginnywings, November 26, 2015, 12:56pm; Reply: 82
Given the support Lincoln muster, that was a good turnout for them last night, so fair play.
Posted by: acko338, November 26, 2015, 1:27pm; Reply: 83
For the loyal exiles, the Southern games are their home games, and the noise they make as an organised fan base, who must at least know many of the regulars by sight is immense.

It's great to listen and hear that support over the airwaves from broadcasts, that really should be reciprocated at home games, instead of constantly hearing bad comments about every tiny slip up by our guys.

I bet we've all got one moaner near to us in whichever stand we watch from at home games.

All trained in discretion by that well known motivator Rob Scott - has everyone actually seen that Linked in profile ??

Talk about total delusion !!

I defy anyone not to laugh after reading the profile of him - obviously never met Paul Hurst in his life !!
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 26, 2015, 1:34pm; Reply: 84
I see that they've signed striker Nathan Blissett on loan from Bristol Rovers.
Posted by: Rik e B, November 26, 2015, 1:49pm; Reply: 85
To be fair the dissenting moaners in my area of Pontoon seem to be extremely minimal nowadays, there certainly is a feel of patience and togetherness no doubt brought on by the fact everyone can clearly see all eleven in Black and White are triers and truly care.

Unfortunately Tondeur and Co. are housed in the Main Stand where there are a few who love nothing more than to loudly heckle the whomever they see fit, the opposition dugout or match officials, okay, if you must, but also the home dugout and players should they feel the need. And nobody in there likes to sing. I've been in there once or twice and the atmosphere was poison, people pay their money and people will do as they please but counterproductive in my eyes.

The Pontoon try their best to get it going but the acoustics are awful -we'd really be better off in the Osmond which more like an echoing cave. And to be fair the Findus seems to be a lot more atmospheric singing wise than I've ever known it in the last twenty years, but again they wide open.

Would be nice to see some movement on this safe standing they talked about (price it up and start a Crowdfunder  :P)!
Posted by: Davec, November 26, 2015, 2:41pm; Reply: 86
Hearing rumours something has happened with Liam Hearn and he has had a bust up, played his last game for Lincoln City by all accounts. But we await confirmation
Posted by: Rik e B, November 26, 2015, 2:44pm; Reply: 87
That's not like our Liam... maybe fat boy Rhead stood on his toes in training?
Posted by: Helgy, November 26, 2015, 3:16pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from RoboCod
DaveC, no problem, it just seemed a very odd claim give that the only thing that has remained constant in Towns recent topsy turvy footballing world is their extraordinary away support.
Might sound cliched but there's also the quality of that support. Read on the Gimps board that while it was a good turnout it added little as they were pinned back in their own half for most of the second half and they were subdued. That sounds like a bunch of 300 fans who are not used to being together, and there's the problem with the bandwagon jumpers.

At Eastleigh (and I think you may have been there to witness this) the Town fans were deafening, even at 0-0. I don't get to many away games but I could not believe how loud the Town fans sounded on the radio!
An away win is great but it's always good to hear the opposition home fans praise our support and the noise they made.

We have a lot of London bases imps , at Barnet we took more than 500 both seasons. Last seasons turnout at Barnet was more than we took to yours & don't ask me why it baffles me.

Posted by: RoboCod, November 26, 2015, 5:02pm; Reply: 89
Think Hearn's on his way to Barrow on loan from what they say. Very odd move, would add to the fall out theory.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 26, 2015, 5:04pm; Reply: 90
Confirmed: [url]https://twitter.com/BarrowAFC?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor[/url]
Posted by: Grimal, November 26, 2015, 7:07pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from Davec
That's fair enough RoboCod, I was at Eastleigh and our fans were a different class, as they often always are

Just reworded it for you Davec. ;)

Print page generated: May 20, 2024, 8:21am