arryarryarry
February 24, 2024, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Poojah

We were in grave danger of going down when he arrived; we weren’t when he left. As I pointed out, what would have been Jolley’s last three games were all postponed; we were 14th on PPG.

Most Town managers in recent years have left us in a tangibly worse position that the one they inherited. Newell, Woods, Bignot, Slade, Holloway - and now likely Artell. Jolley’s reign as at least respectable for the most part.

Apparently not very well liked by some of the non playing staff and they were glad to see the back of him.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 112
Brummie Codfather
February 24, 2024, 8:22pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 21
I heard some of this guff around Jolley at a match this season.  He kept us up, great, but he then assembled a god awful team and played some of the most turgid football I’ve ever watched at Grimsby.

I’m not linking this to Artell who I’ve said I think should go (although today was a better display) but let’s not reinvent Michael ‘ucking Jolley as some sort of savant
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 112
grimsbybrown
February 24, 2024, 8:30pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Poojah

We were in grave danger of going down when he arrived; we weren’t when he left. As I pointed out, what would have been Jolley’s last three games were all postponed; we were 14th on PPG.

Most Town managers in recent years have left us in a tangibly worse position that the one they inherited. Newell, Woods, Bignot, Slade, Holloway - and now likely Artell. Jolley’s reign as at least respectable for the most part.

Whilst I largely agree, Jolley also left some fundamental problems in the squad which left us like a boat starting to take on water.

Matt Green and James Hanson were a year past their sell by date but on big contracts - impossible to move on but either injured or ineffective on the pitch.

For that and other reasons I think our trajectory was already back downwards and I think he knew it too.  His rant - in part was about funds - with a great escape on his CV, it wasn’t a bad time for him to leave reputationally,,,  well, until the recording was “released.”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 112
thornemariner
February 25, 2024, 8:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Poojah

His record here was always streaky - flitting from unbeaten runs into winless ones. Ultimately, he left the club almost 3 weeks after his final game - he didn’t leave over results.

Agreed. We won 11 home league games in 2018-2019 and when was the last time we did that as a league club before then? We won 5 home games on the spin too. It might not have been great but home games weren't the trial that they are now. My friends and I started buying something in the club shop as a tradition after every home win then and have continued to do so. Needless to say my savings are building up.

The downside that season had been another slow start which put paid to any hopes of a successful league campaign.

Private Message
Reply: 93 - 112
mariner91
February 25, 2024, 8:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Brummie Codfather
I heard some of this guff around Jolley at a match this season.  He kept us up, great, but he then assembled a god awful team and played some of the most turgid football I’ve ever watched at Grimsby.

I’m not linking this to Artell who I’ve said I think should go (although today was a better display) but let’s not reinvent Michael ‘ucking Jolley as some sort of savant

I think people forget just how bad the football was in the weeks before he was sacked. Aimless long balls to an ineffective forward line. He had one game where he mixed it up and put Ogbu up front with runners off him and we were ace, that was away at Exeter. I thought at the time he’s cracked it and then literally the next game he reverted to type. He made us solid enough, certainly more solid than we are now but his career since leaving here shows how good a manager he was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 112
Nelly GTFC
February 25, 2024, 9:18am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,749
Gold Stars: 31
I like Radio Humberside including Matt Dean and John Tondeur, but it felt abit under the belt to put that into the open, journalists only really give a excrement about putting themselves into the spotlight and anything to get publicity no matter how positive or negative.  I think the only real thing that got Jolley the sack, was him telling the truth how excrement the budget was, Darth Fenty probally hated Radio Humberside just as much as Jolley did.

I know hundreds will disagree, but this is just me.  I would not have sacked Bignot, Jolley or Hurst Mk II I think all three would have either done a better job eventually than for all their criticism and agreements at being sacked! Slade Mk II and Holloway were far far worse.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 112
toontown
February 25, 2024, 9:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from mariner91

I think people forget just how bad the football was in the weeks before he was sacked. Aimless long balls to an ineffective forward line. He had one game where he mixed it up and put Ogbu up front with runners off him and we were ace, that was away at Exeter. I thought at the time he’s cracked it and then literally the next game he reverted to type. He made us solid enough, certainly more solid than we are now but his career since leaving here shows how good a manager he was.

Aye the football under jolley at the end was truly painful to watch, so dull.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 112
HertsGTFC
February 25, 2024, 9:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,935
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I like Radio Humberside including Matt Dean and John Tondeur, but it felt abit under the belt to put that into the open, journalists only really give a excrement about putting themselves into the spotlight and anything to get publicity no matter how positive or negative.  I think the only real thing that got Jolley the sack, was him telling the truth how excrement the budget was, Darth Fenty probally hated Radio Humberside just as much as Jolley did.

I know hundreds will disagree, but this is just me.  I would not have sacked Bignot, Jolley or Hurst Mk II I think all three would have either done a better job eventually than for all their criticism and agreements at being sacked! Slade Mk II and Holloway were far far worse.

If someone spoke to say your mum, dad, wife, son, daughter in their workplace like Jolley did wouldn’t you want that out there?

Thing is with Jolley his ego didn’t match his ability or through no fault of his own his budget.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 112
Nelly GTFC
February 25, 2024, 9:37am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,749
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from HertsGTFC
If someone spoke to say your mum, dad, wife, son, daughter in their workplace like Jolley did wouldn’t you want that out there?

Thing is with Jolley his ego didn’t match his ability or through no fault of his own his budget.
Yeah, a big big mistake Jolley doing that, I bet he regrets it bigtime.  I can't remember off the top of my head where we were in the league at the time, somewhere mid table I think.

Edit: The table was pretty tight to be fair >> https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-two/15-november-2019/

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 112
jamesgtfc
February 25, 2024, 10:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

I'm pretty sure a club employee put the clip into the open.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Matt Dean

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.