lew chaterleys lover
February 23, 2024, 10:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,757
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

But we are not...all our recent acquisitions are northern lads, who on the face of it, didn't have any better offers...
Be honest with yourself, if you do not know Grimsby abd your agent is driving you over for contract talks, you'd get to Park Street and do a U turn...

Northern lads? The latest accusitions have been from Portsmouth and Cheltenham, unless we now have to have a back story on players to see if their roots originated from North of the Wash.

Players move all over the country all the time and Park Street has always been there whenever we have signed players.

We won't agree and you can have the final word if you want but this mantra that we can't sign players always comes up when we hit a rough patch, and as I say no one mentioned it in the summer when we seemed to be signing decent players.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 112
GrimPol
February 23, 2024, 10:29am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76

It's selective, obviously which is yet another problem with it.

If you interrogate the data it can give you any answer you want, or whatever the phrase is.

Digital Data Snake Oil Salesman perhaps?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 112
HertsGTFC
February 23, 2024, 10:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228

I mentioned that in the reply!!...

I know people hate a dose of reality, but look at it pragmatically, who was the last "quality" player who was required to upsticks from down South, and settle here?.Who's signature did we get to beat our rivals?..
There's a long list of players through the 70s, 80s, 90s who moved to the area and there's no coincidence that was a golden era for us

It was the geography bit that I didn't get to be honest as the Watford gap is in Northants, but I get your point and understand now.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 112
devs
February 23, 2024, 11:04am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Simon
There is clearly a hidden agenda going on, Artell has decimated the squad in just a couple of months so i'm beginning to think the orders are coming from above so I would like to see Matt Dean interviewing Jason and grilling him on whats the hidden agenda is

I'm guessing we are slashing the wage bill because Jason & Andrew are no longer financially backing the club

That is the most baseless conspiracy theory I've seen on here - and there is some excellent competition
Where is your evidence>
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 112
HerveJosse
February 23, 2024, 11:16am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from devs

That is the most baseless conspiracy theory I've seen on here - and there is some excellent competition
Where is your evidence>

The new Bear
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 112
pen penfras
February 24, 2024, 7:43am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71

But we are not...all our recent acquisitions are northern lads, who on the face of it, didn't have any better offers...
Be honest with yourself, if you do not know Grimsby abd your agent is driving you over for contract talks, you'd get to Park Street and do a U turn...

It's nothing to do with what Grimsby is like and everything to do with the fact we pay peanuts.

Wrexham is a shithole and they don't have a problem anymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 112
Northbank Mariner
February 24, 2024, 8:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from pen penfras

It's nothing to do with what Grimsby is like and everything to do with the fact we pay peanuts.

PP,  I'm seriously thinking you need help, you're continued agenda against the club is embarrassing now.
If you think circa £2K a week is peanuts then I'd like be a pound behind you, even at £1.5k its still affords a bloody good standard of living.
We are a back water, a town on its uppers, with no big vibrant city within 75 miles of us, Wrexham is commutable from Liverpool or even Manchester, I need say no more on the subject.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 112
pen penfras
February 24, 2024, 8:18am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71

PP,  I'm seriously thinking you need help, you're continued agenda against the club is embarrassing now.
If you think circa £2K a week is peanuts then I'd like be a pound behind you, even at £1.5k its still affords a bloody good standard of living.
We are a back water, a town on its uppers, with no big vibrant city within 75 miles of us, Wrexham is commutable from Liverpool or even Manchester, I need say no more on the subject.

But in football terms it is peanuts. And we're not talking about a squad full of players on 2k a week, we're talking about 1 or 2 at best. Last season we had zero.

Wrexham is an hour from Liverpool and Manchester, Sheffield isn't much different to us.

I'm not criticising that we're paying this much, I don't want us gambling our future in the hope of success that might not come. But whilst 10 clubs at this level spunk more money than they make, we won't beat them to signing players. It was the case under Fenty and it's the case now. Sustainable and signing the best players do not go hand in hand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 112
lew chaterleys lover
February 24, 2024, 8:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,757
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from pen penfras

In the last 10-15 years the churn of players has been incredible. Hundreds and hundreds of players signed from all over the place. In fact the new owners want to slow this churn of players down, hence the longer contracts.

The discussion should be about the quality of player we are attracting, but when you are continually floundering in league 2 it is not the best selling point. You can counter that by paying over the odds to attract the better players but we won't do that, so we need a manager to make the most of the players we can afford, which is why we hired David Artell...
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 112
Northbank Mariner
February 24, 2024, 8:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172

In the last 10-15 years the churn of players has been incredible. Hundreds and hundreds of players signed from all over the place. In fact the new owners want to slow this churn of players down, hence the longer contracts.

The discussion should be about the quality of player we are attracting, but when you are continually floundering in league 2 it is not the best selling point. You can counter that by paying over the odds to attract the better players but we won't do that, so we need a manager to make the most of the players we can afford, which is why we hired David Artell...

Lew, (know that's not your name btw) I know we see things differently and that's not an issue but the bit in bold got me thinking about his appointment.

I'm wondering if he sold Stockwood a pup here, making out how he coached and brought players through from the Crewe academy into the first team, how he has the academy players playing the sane style as the first team so the flow was seamless, which is actually a load of bollox, its was a system set up Gradi, which Artell carried on and he's built a reputation on that.
Once that flow of quality run dry and he had to sign and coach players he was found out, thus the fall from grace, a 19 game winless run and eventual relegation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Matt Dean

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.