Poojah
February 24, 2024, 11:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,595
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Not often I disagree with you pal but I'm not so sure about that.
Jolley got lucky, we got penalties we didn't deserve, which certainly helped our cause massively, and I'm not so sure Barrow fans would agree that of you gave Jolley money he can build a squad, he wasted thousands, lasted 6 games and was shown the door with P45 in hand

I think you’re doing the bloke a slight disservice there. When he came in, we hadn’t won for 15 games and had lost 11 of them. After a sticky start, he ultimately won 4 and drew 3 of his 10 games to keep us up that season. The Cardwell penalty at Swindon was fortuitous, yes, though I’d argue the one against Chesterfield was at least “borderline”, and we were unlucky not to get something away at promotion winning Wycombe on Easter Monday.

We were actually 14th on PPG when he eventually got sacked; we just hadn’t played for 3 weeks due to a string of unfortunate postponements. Ultimately, his rant did for him.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to rewrite history and paint him as some sort of messiah. He was just a lot better than most of the dross we’ve had in charge in recent years.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 112
pen penfras
February 24, 2024, 11:50am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Poojah

I think you’re doing the bloke a slight disservice there. When he came in, we hadn’t won for 15 games and had lost 11 of them. After a sticky start, he ultimately won 4 and drew 3 of his 10 games to keep us up that season. The Cardwell penalty at Swindon was fortuitous, yes, though I’d argue the one against Chesterfield was at least “borderline”, and we were unlucky not to get something away at promotion winning Wycombe on Easter Monday.

We were actually 14th on PPG when he eventually got sacked; we just hadn’t played for 3 weeks due to a string of unfortunate postponements. Ultimately, his rant did for him.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to rewrite history and paint him as some sort of messiah. He was just a lot better than most of the dross we’ve had in charge in recent years.

He didn't even get sacked. I guess he probably would have considering his negative comments about the club in it, but more so how bad the football was. We were absolutely awful to watch, and I recall results had gone worse than you say, because we seemed to pick up under AL and he didn't win a game.

He predicted he'd get sacked and took a mutual consent departure. The rant wasn't even in the public domain at the time. It got released after his statement about it being a mutual decision for him to leave and then made a few comments about the club. Cynically, you might think somebody in the club released the audio after that statement to settle the score.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 112
GollyGTFC
February 24, 2024, 11:54am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Poojah

For me, the basic litmus test of a manager is; “did they leave the club in a better place than they found it?”. Of all of our managers this century, I think there’s only Hurst and Jolley that can make a good argument that they did.

Incidentally, the situation Jolley inherited is much like ours now; a few points above the relegation zone but unquestionably plummeting towards it. I realise it’s not going to happen, but I’ve said previously that I’d be interested to see how he would have got on working with our current owners and a bit more money. I’d genuinely feel more comfortable with him in the dugout right now than Artell.  

Jolley was appointed manager with us 20th in L2 and engineered his departure with us 18th in L2. I mean, he did leave us in a better position than he inherited us but…
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 82 - 112
Mariner_501
February 24, 2024, 11:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Jolley was appointed manager with us 20th in L2 and engineered his departure with us 18th in L2. I mean, he did leave us in a better position than he inherited us but…

Did hurst leave us in a better position than he inherited second time round?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 112
Poojah
February 24, 2024, 11:57am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

He didn't even get sacked. I guess he probably would have considering his negative comments about the club in it, but more so how bad the football was. We were absolutely awful to watch, and I recall results had gone worse than you say, because we seemed to pick up under AL and he didn't win a game.

He predicted he'd get sacked and took a mutual consent departure. The rant wasn't even in the public domain at the time. It got released after his statement about it being a mutual decision for him to leave and then made a few comments about the club. Cynically, you might think somebody in the club released the audio after that statement to settle the score.

We took 7 points from his last 6 games in charge - albeit that did include a 4-0 hammering at home by Swindon. It took 9 games for Limbrick to amass 7 points, though I acknowledge he was a little unlucky not to get a win sooner than his last game against Salford, with Holloway watching on from the stands.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 112
GollyGTFC
February 24, 2024, 12:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

He achieved 1 point from his final 4 league matches. To imagine a league table where those 2 cancelled matches had been played and yielded positive results might be considered a bit far fetched.

What were the 2 matches that were postponed?

Plymouth away and Newport at home? Given our form at the time of those matches I’d say 1 point maximum from those.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 85 - 112
Poojah
February 24, 2024, 12:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

We were in grave danger of going down when he arrived; we weren’t when he left. As I pointed out, what would have been Jolley’s last three games were all postponed; we were 14th on PPG.

Most Town managers in recent years have left us in a tangibly worse position that the one they inherited. Newell, Woods, Bignot, Slade, Holloway - and now likely Artell. Jolley’s reign as at least respectable for the most part.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 112
GollyGTFC
February 24, 2024, 12:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

We took 7 points from his last 6 games in charge - albeit that did include a 4-0 hammering at home by Swindon. It took 9 games for Limbrick to amass 7 points, though I acknowledge he was a little unlucky not to get a win sooner than his last game against Salford, with Holloway watching on from the stands.

1 point from 4. 7 points from 6.

The 2 wins were 6 weeks before his departure. Does genuine form go that far back?
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 87 - 112
Poojah
February 24, 2024, 12:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The 2 wins were 6 weeks before his departure. Does genuine form go that far back?

His record here was always streaky - flitting from unbeaten runs into winless ones. Ultimately, he left the club almost 3 weeks after his final game - he didn’t leave over results.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 112
MuddyWaters
February 24, 2024, 12:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from GollyGTFC

It's the gospel according to Artell. Salford away was his Eureka moment, albeit they were a basket case (like we are now) at the time.
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Matt Dean

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.