WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 22, 2024, 7:47pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +848
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from DB
This week we had StevetheFish generously spend about £1,000 in support of Town. This year we sponsored a player's shirt and, I believe 2 shirts last year. Also quite a few donations to the youth set.

And dont forget about the hundreds of good-hearted Fishy members who raised thousands for Ollie when he lost his best friend to suicide. Yes it was pre-1878, but i bet nearly every single one of them is still active on the Fishy.

We aren't such a bad bunch, are we?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 112
It Bites
February 22, 2024, 7:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,222
Gold Stars: 265

And dont forget about the hundreds of good-hearted Fishy members who raised thousands for Ollie when he lost his best friend to suicide. Yes it was pre-1878, but i bet nearly every single one of them is still active on the Fishy.

We aren't such a bad bunch, are we?

No , you’re a bloody good bunch . Like I’ve said numerous times . I look at the fishy as a place to chat crap about Town , like going down the pub . The problem rises when some simpletons read it and think it’s a fact and go into a meltdown. If they were opposite you in a pub you’d tell them to stop being a fanny .
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 112
February 22, 2024, 8:06pm
Guest User

What data is being used to evaluate DA? How does DA performance compare to same data of PH?
Reply: 32 - 112
lew chaterleys lover
February 22, 2024, 9:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 141325

What data is being used to evaluate DA? How does DA performance compare to same data of PH?

It's selective, obviously which is yet another problem with it.

If you interrogate the data it can give you any answer you want, or whatever the phrase is.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 112
Heswall Mariner
February 22, 2024, 9:31pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +591
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from 141325

I really can't take this data stuff seriously - at our level - at the end of the day (it goes dark!) if we can't attract players /management who are marginally better than those we are competing with.
Wrexham/Stockport etc have owners it seems with deeper pockets & a bigger fan base than ours - sadly in the long run we will be left behind.
What baffles me is that the likes of Harrogate, Sutton, Crawley, Accrirngton etc  - without the infrastructure/fan base that we have  are better than us?  

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 112
MuddyWaters
February 22, 2024, 9:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,264
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

I really can't take this data stuff seriously - at our level - at the end of the day (it goes dark!) if we can't attract players /management who are marginally better than those we are competing with.
Wrexham/Stockport etc have owners it seems with deeper pockets & a bigger fan base than ours - sadly in the long run we will be left behind.
What baffles me is that the likes of Harrogate, Sutton, Crawley, Accrirngton etc  - without the infrastructure/fan base that we have  are better than us?  

They’re all near major conurbations.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 112
lew chaterleys lover
February 22, 2024, 9:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

They’re all near major conurbations.

So are Sutton, Walsall, Doncaster, Salford,Swindon,Tranmere,Crawley and Bradford who are all in the bottom half of league 2.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 112
Northbank Mariner
February 22, 2024, 9:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,492
Gold Stars: 171

So are Sutton, Walsall, Doncaster, Salford,Swindon,Tranmere,Crawley and Bradford who are all in the bottom half of league 2.

But look at the players they attract....

Look, I'm a Grimsby boy living in Hull and absolutely have Grimsby in my blood and heart but I've said this before, the Town is on its bottom, it has very little to offer young aspiring footballers.
When we had Cleethorpes as a hub of activity and a lively night scene we attracted some great players, whom might I add loved the place and several settled and still live locally.
Its words none of us want to hear but its just facts, its not even about logistics, its about what we can offer as pastimes and I'm convinced part of the reason Conteh wanted out was due to this.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 112
lew chaterleys lover
February 22, 2024, 10:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

But look at the players they attract....

Look, I'm a Grimsby boy living in Hull and absolutely have Grimsby in my blood and heart but I've said this before, the Town is on its bottom, it has very little to offer young aspiring footballers.
When we had Cleethorpes as a hub of activity and a lively night scene we attracted some great players, whom might I add loved the place and several settled and still live locally.
Its words none of us want to hear but its just facts, its not even about logistics, its about what we can offer as pastimes and I'm convinced part of the reason Conteh wanted out was due to this.

Well if you are correct then we may as well pack up and disband. If we cannot attract a quality of player to get us above the relegation places in league 2 because we can't offer whatever it is young footballers do when they are not working.

Nobody said that in the summer though when we signed apparently good players from all over the country.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 112
Maringer
February 22, 2024, 10:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185

If you interrogate the data it can give you any answer you want, or whatever the phrase is.

No, it can't.

You can't find a signal in data that isn't there. You simply can't.

If you disingenuously look at a subset of data, you can claim it shows something which it doesn't when looking at the whole body (politicians do this a lot), but that's not something that any analyst is going to do when looking for players to recommend, because they want to prove their worth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Matt Dean

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.