DB
February 17, 2024, 10:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Hagrid
Conceded 5 and the hopeless Rodgers and Mullarkey weren't even on the pitch. We must have the worst set of “defenders” in the clubs history. To a man they are flipping hideous

Cartwright takes a lot of stick, sometimes deservedly, but with those 4 in front of him, he's left exposed. And it doesn't matter how much you change the back 4 it's just the same.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 147
Germo66
February 17, 2024, 10:26pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +120
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Marinerdeano
Danny Rose for interim player manager?

Couldn't do any worse than that DA
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 147
headingly_mariner
February 17, 2024, 10:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from mariner91

Where did I say he's the problem? What I said is that he isn't good enough to be first pick in a L2 team in central midfield. He wasn't even playing in central midfield when he had his best season with us.  

If Clifton is first name on the teamsheet after Danny Rose playing in central midfield, then yes there is no flipping hope for us because he isn't a good L2 central midfielder.

Today he's spent the first 60 minutes playing in behind Rose, he was then put back into the middle after Andrews got hooked and we went 2 up top. Tbf I would probably agree that's not his best position, but he's still way more capable in that role than any of the other options we have.

The issues are around our organisation and balance of our chosen first team, because all our squad are fit. A luxury Hurst didn't have. Clifton's worth to the team is relentlessly discussed on here and I find it bizarre.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 147
HertsGTFC
February 17, 2024, 10:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
[quote=140776]

Cartwright takes a lot of stick, sometimes deservedly, but with those 4 in front of him, he's left exposed. And it doesn't matter how much you change the back 4 it's just the same.

[/quote

I’m amazed we didn’t bring a keeper in Harvey’s a good lad but this can’t be doing him any good. The alternative is Eastwood who I think probably has ability but appears to have zero confidence .

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 147
out of town
February 17, 2024, 10:36pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from HertsGTFC
[quote=140776]

[/quote

I’m amazed we didn’t bring a keeper in Harvey’s a good lad but this can’t be doing him any good. The alternative is Eastwood who I think probably has ability but appears to have zero confidence .

Artells old Crewe keeper was available. Quite telling he didn’t sign a single player he’s worked with before

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 147
chaos33
February 17, 2024, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
Clifton isn’t being used to best effect; nor is he noticeably benefiting from any of Artell’s coaching. He expended a lot of energy today,to pretty much no effect defensively ior offensively. Everyone except Rose and Vernam looked like they didn’t know what they were doing today.  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 147
DB
February 17, 2024, 10:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from chaos33
Clifton isn’t being used to best effect; nor is he noticeably benefiting from any of Artell’s coaching. He expended a lot of energy today,to pretty much no effect defensively ior offensively. Everyone except Rose and Vernam looked like they didn’t know what they were doing today.

Especially the guy with the beard standing between the dug out and the pitch.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 147
mariner91
February 17, 2024, 10:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Today he's spent the first 60 minutes playing in behind Rose, he was then put back into the middle after Andrews got hooked and we went 2 up top. Tbf I would probably agree that's not his best position, but he's still way more capable in that role than any of the other options we have.

The issues are around our organisation and balance of our chosen first team, because all our squad are fit. A luxury Hurst didn't have. Clifton's worth to the team is relentlessly discussed on here and I find it bizarre.

Clifton's a good squad player to have and great in games where you want to make it scrappy like we should have done against Stockport. He's fantastic in transition and really good at nicking the ball with his pressing which is very good. However, he is poor on the ball for a L2 midfielder. He doesn't have the ball control to receive and turn in tight areas and his passing is also pretty poor. I genuinely can't remember seeing him make a successful long pass, his successful pass completion is on the low side and I've never seen him slide a perfectly weighted ball in for someone. Case in point against Notts where his energy was great but twice in the first half he won the ball back in a position only to completely mess up relatively easy passes. His awareness and positioning is also not very good when he's playing centrally, rarely showing for the ball from the defenders.

He did really well for us in the promotion season when there was better quality around him and he was coming in from the left. We had Taylor, McAtee, Fox and Sousa who were all good on the ball so it was less of an issue that he isn't. It also meant he could make a lot of runs forward which he's generally pretty good at and he times them well. He also seems to be far better when the game is quick, more often than not making the right decision when he's rushed whereas when he has thinking time he tends to mess it up.

If you have two very good ball players around Clifton in the middle then he could get away with being in there and offering energy to disrupt the opposition. But I personally feel he's better out wide. Unfortunately we don't have any quality on the ball in the middle other than Hunt and potentially Thompson so it's a damning indictment of how poor we are that Clifton is still probably one of our starters in central midfield despite not being good enough for L2 in that position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 147
chaos33
February 17, 2024, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
I’d have to presume that Thompson is injured or ill. To not be in the squad when the manager has brought you in because you’re apparently better than players you inherited would just be insane. As would saying you don’t need a plan b, then trying to claim credit for doing something you don’t do or need, and then crowning that by saying you hadn’t prepared for that in training. What a staggeringly dumb self own and demonstration that you don’t know what you’re doing could you want?! Just babbling ineptitude you’ve inadvertently illustrated.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 147
HertsGTFC
February 17, 2024, 11:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from chaos33
I’d have to presume that Thompson is injured or ill. To not be in the squad when the manager has brought you in because you’re apparently better than players you inherited would just be insane. As would saying you don’t need a plan b, then trying to claim credit for doing something you don’t do or need, and then crowning that by saying you hadn’t prepared for that in training. What a staggeringly dumb self own and demonstration that you don’t know what you’re doing could you want?! Just babbling ineptitude you’ve inadvertently illustrated.

I don’t get his logic, arrive at a club who are soft touch and losing games the first task is to build confidence by fixing the defence & keeping a few clean sheets.

Artell’s approach of let’s outplay the opposition belongs on fantasy island.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 147
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.