This thread currently has 13,940 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincspoacher
February 17, 2024, 10:01pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +302
Gold Stars: 15
After another embarrassing opening 10 minutes, where the opposition once again score with virtually every attack they have, we actually had a good last 25 minutes of the first half.

Clifton should have scored, and so should have Green.

But let’s be honest, Green, Clifton and Andrew’s will all run all day for you, but this is a game that requires ability on the ball, and playing those 3 together, means there is zero technical ability in the middle of the park.

3 of the back 4 are also new.

Now, I know Glennon cannot defend. I saw that last season under Hurst, when he made most visiting wide rights look like Brazilian internationals. However, with 3 new defenders, why are we conceding too easily still?

For me, the answer lies in the midfield, who don’t pick up runners in the middle, and Eisa / Arthur or today it was Vernon, who do not defend in front of the fullbacks when the opposition have the ball.

Don’t care how good a full back you are, if you are overloaded and then overlapped, you’re in trouble.

Eisa is what we used to call a ‘Conner’. He makes it look like he is trying to get back to challenge, but he isn’t really. Just shadow tracking.

Those first 3/4 matches under Artel, I really did see an improvement from Hurstball and the chore that watching us under him had become. Our form was no better under Hurst by the way at the end, but we weren’t shipping 3/4/5/6 goals at home though.

I really don’t yet think we should pull the plug on Artel yet, if only because I did see something in those opening games that I liked.

I can’t see it at the moment defensively, but changing managers now leading up to Forest Green and Sutton feels like a complete step into the unknown as well.

That said, defeats away next weekend and then again after, will undoubtedly get us to that position.

For me, drop Clifton and Green and get Holohan and a fit Hunt in the middle please.

Thompson back as well and hopefully a win away next weekend to settle us down.

If not, we are 180 mins away from a new manager imho.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 147
Lost in Lincoln
February 17, 2024, 10:02pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from DB

Then he went down the tunnel. He failed to shake hands with the ref and asst's, and also notably failed to go onto the pitch to clap the few fans left. Perhaps that is a major reason, apart from the results, that the fans no longer like him.

I didn't see as I was back in the car before the final whistle. For the second time this season.

He has to go or we're going down.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 71 - 147
MuddyWaters
February 17, 2024, 10:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Lincspoacher
After another embarrassing opening 10 minutes, where the opposition once again score with virtually every attack they have, we actually had a good last 25 minutes of the first half.

Clifton should have scored and so should have Green. But let’s be honest, Green, Clifton and Andrew’s will all run all day for you, but this is a game that requires ability on the ball as well and playing those 3 together means there is zero technical ability in the middle of the part]k.

3 of the back 4 are also new. Now, I know Glennon cannot defend. I saw that last season under Hurst when he made most visiting wide rights look like Brazilian internationals. However, with 3 new defenders, why are we conceding too easily still?

For me, he answer lies in the midfield, who dom to pick up runners in the middle and Eisa / Arthur or today, Vernon, who do not defend in front of the fullbacks when the opposition have the ball.

Don’t care how good a full back you are, if you are overloaded and then overlapped, you’re in trouble.

Eisa is what we used to call a ‘Conner’. He makes it look like he is trying to get back to challenge, but he isn’t.

Those first 3/4 matches under Artel, I really did see an improvement from Hurstball and the chore that watching us under him had become. Our form was no better under Hurst by the way at the end, but we weren’t shipping 3/4/5/6 goals at home though.

I really don’t yet think we should pull the plug on Artel yet, if only because I did see something in those opening games that I liked. I can’t see it at the moment defensively, but changing managers now leading up to Forest Green and Sutton feels like a complete step into the unknown as well.

That said, defeats away next weekend and then again after, will undoubtedly get us to that position.

For me, drop Clifton and Green and get Holohan and a fit Hunt in the middle please.

Thompson back as well and hopefully a win away next weekend to settle us down.

If not, we are 180 mins away from a new manager imho.

Drop Clifton, Green but, most of all, Andrews. Thompson, Hunt and Holohan are our best technical midfielders and should start.
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 147
Jarmo.Is.God
February 17, 2024, 10:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
I've been trying to find some hope since the game finished 5 hours ago, and this is the best I've got..

Thompson looked good, hopefully he's not seriously injured

Vernam was a threat all game

And Rose is good enough to help us get a few more points hopefully
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 147
chaos33
February 17, 2024, 10:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,998
Gold Stars: 362
I thought our midfield 3 were all poor today. Generally, save for the odd thing they did well - really, that’s their job. I think Maher is palpably and consistently below par, the two new full backs defied their pedigrees and careers and looked weak and easily dominated and Eisa was a waste of a pick. Charles looked dangerous first half (nothing second half), and Danny Rose….I feel so sorry for him. I want to give him a hug, thank him and apologise for his teammates being so sh1t. If I was him I’d be out of here at the earliest opportunity. 100% effort at all times, and does what he’s supposed to, consistently. Look and learn the rest of you.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 147
HertsGTFC
February 17, 2024, 10:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
The selection was wrong, Clifton (everybody’s favourite RWB apparently) has been off it all season, Green is a throwback and Andrews is a fanny masquerading as a professional footballer. Eisa ( see note above about Andrews) looks like his agent had already agreed a contract elsewhere.

Everything we do just feels so contrived and easy to play against which was underlined by the 2nd Donny goal.

Rallied after the penalty and I thought we’d come out swinging but it was the opposite. After the 3rd we just gave up. BTW if that donkey Maher kicked the opposition like he kicked the post after the 3rd maybe attackers would think twice about taking the p1ss.

Then we get the classic managerial master stroke ….

50 ish minutes 1 - 3 down at home in what’s the closest we have to a derby when the “as it stands” table says we’re 90th in the pyramid what does the “highly regarded” (eff off) A license coach do?

Take off one young loanee who’s keeping a senior pro who was a big part of our last promotion out and replaces him with ???? Another young loanee who has approx 15 mins EFL experience under his belt.

Which I suspect left the players on the pitch & sat on the bench thinking WTF is the manager doing.

The rest turned into another home drubbing in front of an almost full house.

Supporters deserve better, when the manager came in he said (paraphrase) Grimsby was known as a soft place to come - he can’t fixed that one as he.

The manager and the team embarrassed themselves today but what’s unforgivable is they left the support feeling embarrassed.

1878 have done a brilliant job since they came in but they must act now, if they allow Artell to take us down they’ve failed in what is their number one objective - the betterment of GTFC.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 147
headingly_mariner
February 17, 2024, 10:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from mariner91

That's all Clifton offers though. I got pelters on X or Twitter whatever you want to call it a few weeks ago for saying Clifton is not a L2 standard central midfielder (mostly from his mates) but I stand by it. His engine is great, has a great attitude and he battles but he just isn't good enough with a football. If you actually look at his successful pass percentages each game they're regularly hovering around the 50-65% mark which is awful. And that's not including the times he takes a poor touch or is easily dispossessed because he can't control or turn with the ball. He's a great squad player to have due to his physical ability and versatility and I'm sure he's a good lad but if you're relying on him in central midfield then you're toast. I don't think I've ever seen a L2 opponent be as bad on the ball as Clifton is. Hilariously, Green is even worse!

It's absolute balderdash and people have short memories.
Missed a golden chance today, but should absolutley be first pick behind Rose.
He's the only one who breaks the lines from midfield other than occasionally Holohan when he plays and I would hazard a guess that he has most touches in both Boxes of our players.
If people think Clifton is the problem, then there's no flipping hope for us.
It's a massive problem to play Andrews who is male masturbation. Green has struggled without legs next to him and struggles to take the ball off the defence. Holohan should start over those two and it amazes me Hunt can't get on the bench.

You have to have a balance and Artell cannot get that right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 147
Hagrid
February 17, 2024, 10:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,485
Gold Stars: 536
Conceded 5 and the hopeless Rodgers and Mullarkey weren't even on the pitch. We must have the worst set of “defenders” in the clubs history. To a man they are flipping hideous
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 147
MuddyWaters
February 17, 2024, 10:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from headingly_mariner

He's the only one who breaks the lines from midfield other than occasionally Holohan when he plays and I would hazard a guess that he has most touches in both Boxes of our players.
It's a massive problem to play Andrews who is male masturbation. Green has struggled without legs next to him and struggles to take the ball off the defence. Holohan should start over those two and it amazes me Hunt can't get on the bench.

Hunt was ‘pivotal’ according to Artell after the Crewe game. A month later, he was told he could leave. Confused? Me too.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 147
mariner91
February 17, 2024, 10:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Where did I say he's the problem? What I said is that he isn't good enough to be first pick in a L2 team in central midfield. He wasn't even playing in central midfield when he had his best season with us.  

If Clifton is first name on the teamsheet after Danny Rose playing in central midfield, then yes there is no flipping hope for us because he isn't a good L2 central midfielder.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 147
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.