MuddyWaters
September 25, 2022, 5:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from rancido

I don't think my criticism is harsh, just my assessment of his performance at this match and other games this season. I'm sure with some encouragement and instruction from the coaching staff then Efete could regain the form he showed when he first joined us. As regards Glennon then he could also try to regain the performances he had when he first joined us on loan. Surely, as posters on this message board, we are allowed constructive criticism of a player?

Just think you’re being honest. Efete and Holohan look like they’re possibly not up to top half of League 2. I dislike playing players out of position with a vengeance but I’d be tempted to play Harry at RB or even RWB if we decide to play three centre backs. With the midfield we’ve got, three at the back would accommodate Khan, Hunt and either Morris or Green as the sitting player or number 4 as people like to describe it.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 119
arryarryarry
September 25, 2022, 8:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,034
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mariner_09
We didn’t really threaten enough to get anything until the last five mins, barring a somewhat fortuitous equaliser. We didn’t move the ball nearly quickly enough and then they obviously tried to frustrate us once they went down to 10 men, as everyone does. The frustrating this is, when we did occasionally go forward and put them under pressure they looked vulnerable. Didn’t help that their keeper seemed to have the annual worldie that keepers get once a season in the last 10 mins, although Smudge and Bim have to bury those chances, you can’t miss them when sides are so deep and compact.

Michee is getting unfair stick. He hasn’t been great but he hasn’t been the disaster that some are making him out to have been, he’s lacking a bit of confidence going forward but didn’t actually put in a couple of really nasty balls yesterday, his final ball is way better than Keirnan who was rightly hooked at HT yesterday.

Smith had his worst game for us as a centre half, he made a mess of their second and generally didn’t look half as assured as he normally does. If that carries on, he’ll be out of the team as Maher will be breathing down his neck. Glennon also struggled more than usual, although I doubt he’ll have to do that much defensively again very often this season.

They were, on the ball, everything we should strive to be. They were all comfortable on it, they all always wanted it and were able to shift it quickly and in tight areas. The reality Harry Clifton and Gav Holohan are never going to be able to do that, they have other attributes but composure in possession and an ability to see the pitch and move the ball quickly just aren’t their games. There’s probably some case for dropping Holohan who I think has been poor for 2-3 weeks now.

I like Richardson, he’s happy running at opposition defenders, I wouldn’t say he needs to toughen up either, it’s just the ref gave him nothing all game. Khan looked lively when he came on but we didn’t get the ball to him nearly enough. I hope Taylor’s injury isn’t bad, we’ll have to change our system if he’s injured. He’s integral.

Onto Tuesday, I think there’s half a chance of a number of changes. I expect Green to come back in, maybe Orsi as well. They’ve only lost once all season, it’s another tough game but we really do need to start getting some points at home sooner rather than later.

I would struggle to name a player who had a really good game.

With regard to Efete,  to me he looks better going forward than defending and on Saturday he was in La La Land for their first, I thought Clifton had one of his poorer games, not sure if I'm that big a fan of Holohan, gives too many passes away for me.

I think we are still looking for our best midfield formation.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 119
TheultimateMariner
September 25, 2022, 8:55pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Poojah

I would be tempted to go with the following on Tuesday night, fitness permitting.

Crocombe
Efete / Waterfall / Maher / Glennon
Holohan / Hunt / Clifton
JMD / Taylor / Khan

There’s certainly an argument that it’s harsh on Smith to be dropped on the basis of 1 dodgy performance, but you have to ask how else Maher is going to get in otherwise? If you’ve got 3 centre halves of such quality and only two starting berths, I think you have to be setting extremely high standards, which Smith fell slightly below yesterday.

We’re not creating enough in open play which in turn is giving the opposition the confidence to come at us in numbers; that front line looks more capable of doing more with our attacking possession than we have in recent home games. Whilst Richardson clearly has quality I think he’s still getting to grips with the physicality of League Two and isn’t involved enough in games for my liking.

Be interesting to see what Hurst does, assuming he’s still here of course.

Team looks spot on apart from I'd maybe swap Holohan for Green. Gives us someone to sit in front of the back for if necessary. Also think Holohan may need a rest, as he wasn't at the races on Saturday

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 119
Poojah
September 25, 2022, 9:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,636
Gold Stars: 1,505
Quoted from TheultimateMariner

Team looks spot on apart from I'd maybe swap Holohan for Green. Gives us someone to sit in front of the back for if necessary. Also think Holohan may need a rest, as he wasn't at the races on Saturday

I think Green is injured, or at least he has been and wasn’t on the bench on Saturday. That holding role is also potential in for a Maher, but I’d be surprised to see him starting there when we have three fit bonafide midfielders.

I’m also keen to see us a little more on the front foot at home. It’s a bit of a lazy thing to say in some respects - of course I’d prefer to see Town attacking than the opposition, but I think our slightly toothless performances at BP have given teams the confidence to have a go at us.

We need to be taking the initiative of Tuesday night.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 119
Hagrid
September 25, 2022, 9:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,475
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Poojah

I think Green is injured, or at least he has been and wasn’t on the bench on Saturday. That holding role is also potential in for a Maher, but I’d be surprised to see him starting there when we have three fit bonafide midfielders.

I’m also keen to see us a little more on the front foot at home. It’s a bit of a lazy thing to say in some respects - of course I’d prefer to see Town attacking than the opposition, but I think our slightly toothless performances at BP have given teams the confidence to have a go at us.

We need to be taking the initiative of Tuesday night.

He was on the bench saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 119
Poojah
September 25, 2022, 9:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,636
Gold Stars: 1,505
Quoted from Hagrid

He was on the bench saturday

Well I’ll be talking shíte then won’t I. In that case, perhaps his potential inclusion on Tuesday could help offset a more creative / less industrious front line.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 119
MuddyWaters
September 25, 2022, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Going radical here but…..

Crocombe

Maher
Waterfall
Smith

Clifton
Hunt
Green
Khan
Glennon

Taylor
Simmonds
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 119
Tommy
September 25, 2022, 10:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Bit late to the thread but a few observations:

- we do need to adjust our approach at home slightly. As Lew and someone else (apologies I forget who it was) point out, Kiernan and Clifton as the two wide players are both "runners/grafters" but don't have the technical ability to help us unlock teams. One of them (at least) needs to be sacrificed in most home games for someone like JMD or Wearne who have a bit more craft.

- I'm reluctant to keep posting this as I wouldn't want to form a witch-hunt, but Kiernan needs replacing. Doesn't offer anything other than working hard to get up and down the pitch. We'd be better off with Sousa in my opinion.

- Efete is low on confidence. I don't agree that he's playing shockingly bad though. He's just low on confidence when he's in the attacking half. I do think it would help him having JMD in front of him, as JMD is someone who he can link up and combine with. They linked up several times on Saturday, more so than he and Kiernan/Richardson did. Often Efete gets upfield but doesn't have his winger offering support and is reluctant to cross with only Taylor in the box, but JMD would show for him and want the ball off him all the time.

- Richardson has got some ability but he's not in games enough at all. He's showed flashes of really good play but in my opinion isn't getting on the ball enough to be able to have enough of an impact on games. Would like to see Simmonds get a go from the start at some point as he looks like he may be able to stamp his authority on a game a bit more. Richardson is currently playing in the same position McAtee played last season in that same system, and while I don't expect him to be as good as McAtee straight away, we've got to work out ways to get him on the ball as much as McAtee would be if he were playing. Can't help but think playing off the left might suit him, or help him, as he might see more of the ball out of that central area.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 119
Swansea_Mariner
September 26, 2022, 8:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
I really dont think we need wholesale changes, for as good as Swindon were they didn't really cut us open much. What they did do was move the ball around quickly and that led to us being pulled around a little, stretching and somewhat rushing when we eventually regained possession. I think that accounts for some of the wayward passing from Holohan, Clifton and Hunt.

I do think we need tweaking, I agree with the points on Maher,  bringing him in will support the drive for continued high standards. JMD is also a must start for me, with the impressive Khan if fit enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 119
Croxton
September 26, 2022, 10:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 33
Bit harsh on Kieran to imply that he was part of the Efete conundrum. In the first half , Efete, yet again, failed to keep a high tempo to attack or press on for a corner when the space was there. The mere presence of a Swindon shirt made him check back regardless of any runs made by his team mates. The entire Upper Youngs were willing him on to the final third but he was effectively playing as a Swindon defender.
Only when we are trailing does he feel he has the licence to overlap. His whole demeanour at BP is that of a haunted man. Is he feeling threatened by Cropper’s signing? I like him as a defender on the whole as he is good in the air and we are generally the smaller less physical team.
If he can’t adjust then I think Cropper should replace him or perhaps Maher/ Clifton?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 119
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.