12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
September 25, 2022, 12:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
We didn’t really threaten enough to get anything until the last five mins, barring a somewhat fortuitous equaliser. We didn’t move the ball nearly quickly enough and then they obviously tried to frustrate us once they went down to 10 men, as everyone does. The frustrating this is, when we did occasionally go forward and put them under pressure they looked vulnerable. Didn’t help that their keeper seemed to have the annual worldie that keepers get once a season in the last 10 mins, although Smudge and Bim have to bury those chances, you can’t miss them when sides are so deep and compact.

Michee is getting unfair stick. He hasn’t been great but he hasn’t been the disaster that some are making him out to have been, he’s lacking a bit of confidence going forward but didn’t actually put in a couple of really nasty balls yesterday, his final ball is way better than Keirnan who was rightly hooked at HT yesterday.

Smith had his worst game for us as a centre half, he made a mess of their second and generally didn’t look half as assured as he normally does. If that carries on, he’ll be out of the team as Maher will be breathing down his neck. Glennon also struggled more than usual, although I doubt he’ll have to do that much defensively again very often this season.

They were, on the ball, everything we should strive to be. They were all comfortable on it, they all always wanted it and were able to shift it quickly and in tight areas. The reality Harry Clifton and Gav Holohan are never going to be able to do that, they have other attributes but composure in possession and an ability to see the pitch and move the ball quickly just aren’t their games. There’s probably some case for dropping Holohan who I think has been poor for 2-3 weeks now.

I like Richardson, he’s happy running at opposition defenders, I wouldn’t say he needs to toughen up either, it’s just the ref gave him nothing all game. Khan looked lively when he came on but we didn’t get the ball to him nearly enough. I hope Taylor’s injury isn’t bad, we’ll have to change our system if he’s injured. He’s integral.

Onto Tuesday, I think there’s half a chance of a number of changes. I expect Green to come back in, maybe Orsi as well. They’ve only lost once all season, it’s another tough game but we really do need to start getting some points at home sooner rather than later.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 119
marinerjase
September 25, 2022, 12:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,664
Gold Stars: 147
Some interesting points/views..re yesterday think you have to give Swindon a fair bit of credit, they looked good first half and controlled the game from the off..their forward was a nuisance, their number 24 was excellent on the right in occupying Glennon, and Gladwin and the number 10 were decent too. Khan was mopping up everything in front of their back line, and did all the horrible stuff to stop us. That said..they didn’t batter us..we were organised, and despite being over run early kept in the game, got an equaliser and if we’d have gone in 1-1 at half time it may have been different..unfortunately Smith made a big error on a bad day for him and it wasn’t to be. We were helped by the sending off, but didn’t really move the ball quick enough to stretch them. Final few mins could and should have got an equaliser but to be fair you’d have to say Swindon probably deserved it.

Off day by a few on our side..but it’s still alright, we’re 10th, and looking comfortable, arguably have more to come IF we can work out how to play at home/set up.

Decisions for Tuesday? Some valid points onSmith/Maher..the back two have been excellent but he had a bad day yesterday..Maher was excellent in midweek..comes in? Or do you put it as an off day for Smith and give him the chance to put it right? Glennon has been excellent all season, met his match yesterday though, Swindon did their homework. He will have to stop those reckless challenges..got another booking..could have been more but for a fraction of a second.he does tend to fly in..in the puddle at Carlisle game when everyone laughed, but he got away with one there..and again in the last home game before yesterday in front of lower Smiths. Part of his make up/competitiveness I guess so Idoubt you’d want to stop it in another way..Hurst alluded to some being ‘too nice’..Efete is a really frustrating watch..so many attributes, so much potential..but what’s happened? He seems stuck in between being drilled in a defensive mode, doesn’t utilise his assets, and when does go forward it isn’t committed..and inevitably stops and cuts back. Confidence? Instruction? Both?

Holohan had a bad game yesterday, and Hunt still finding his feet, working out how to play together. Sometimes wonder if playing out from the back leaves us a bit stretched, in that the link between defence/midfield close, but then there’s nothing much of an option as Taylor isolated often. It’s not an easy puzzle to solve, PH has always been one for being organised from the back - nothing wrong with that at all, it’s just how we link play. Kiernan isn’t good enough on evidence thus far, tries hard and can’t question that but we do need a bit more. JMD obviously has the most ability to create, deliver a ball, and pop up with a goal or two..it’s again how we cope without the ball..when he plays it puts more emphasis on Efete defensively. Clifton does a job as always, but again isn’t a natural wide man. So are we hampering ourselves in that department in terms of creating for our forwards? Could we try playing Richardson or Orsi differently..in respect of being on the shoulders of defender rather than behind Taylor? But again doing that leaves questions of the middle and behind. Morris might work with Hunt, but do you play Hunt deep, so links with defensive to offer option with ball or do you play Morris as the workhorse, a la their Khan yesterday, and let Hunt have a free role? Do you try 3 in the middle? As said earlier it’s not an easy puzzle to solve..and PH has plenty of options..but despite the ramblings I’ve just typed out - were in a good position, with an excellent manager to work them out. And I’m sure he will.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 119
TownSNAFU5
September 25, 2022, 2:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,893
Gold Stars: 42
Hurst was talking recently about looking at players being loaned out to NL clubs in the next 2 weeks or so.  JMD has been mentioned by some fans.

I hope not.  He has come back into the reckoning for the first team.  We have missed his quality crosses, making goals and scoring the winner in the Promotion Final.  

He has the knack cl being in the right place at the right time.  Hurst does not like him not tracking back.  I did not go last Tuesday but he did track back more.  TAA only jogs back sometimes at Liverpool and he is a FB.  Klopp appreciates his forward play, which offsets defensive weaknesses and responsibilities.

I hope that Hurst can take the same overall view to JMD.  If not a starter, he is usually an effective subs who creates things.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 119
pen penfras
September 25, 2022, 4:36pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from rancido

I agree, I don't think Efete is as good as a defender as some make out. He had a tendency to ball watch and I think his positioning is questionable at times. A previous poster mentioned how he was only beaten by a brilliant though ball but if his positioning had been correct then he wouldn't have been beaten in the first place. His strength is when he goes forward but when he doesn't do that then our right hand side is weakened. I personally prefer Cropper as a defender and his throw IMO makes up for his weakness in an attacking situation.

Not sure why Efete is getting such harsh criticism. He's not been great, but not terrible either. Glennon has been roasted in 3 games this season and seems to avoid being the subject of criticism because he put some good deliveries in early on, although his impact on that front has dropped too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 119
wiggers
September 25, 2022, 4:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +469
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from pen penfras

Not sure why Efete is getting such harsh criticism. He's not been great, but not terrible either. Glennon has been roasted in 3 games this season and seems to avoid being the subject of criticism because he put some good deliveries in early on, although his impact on that front has dropped too.

Agreed. Glennon looks good going forward but not the best defensively. Perhaps another reason PH likes Clifton on that side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 119
ginnywings
September 25, 2022, 5:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Glennon looks a tad slow to me. Maybe he needs time to get up to match speed  and fitness but he seems to make a lot of last ditch tackles.

I also think the midfield needs a shake up. Kiernan just doesn't create anything, and I can see why Hartlepool let Holohan go once they got back into the EFL. It's a very hard-working midfield, but not very creative. When their winger got around the back of us, he laid the goal on a plate for the arriving player. Kiernan got around the back of their defence 2 or 3 times and the final cross/shot left a lot to be desired.

I think that once Morris is back and Green is up to speed, Holohan will struggle to get in the starting 11, given that Hunt looks to be a starter if fit. There's then JMD, Khan and Wearne, any of whom could play in the Kiernan slot.

May also be time to give Smith a breather and get Maher on the pitch.

I think there has to be some changes for Tuesday, because we are just not that threatening, especially as the home team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 119
WelwynGardener
September 25, 2022, 5:12pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 6
One thing about Swindon 1st half. They had wingers who hugged the touchlines which provided ready-made outlets for defenders to clear their lines but who also provided the 'geometry' for some terrific long diagonals into space. Town had nothing to compare and always looked too narrow, focussing balls into the middle and losing possession amongst the congestion. For what it's worth, I also think that Kiernan undermines Efete as the former has the habit of running into traffic too easily and exposing the space in front of the latter. Town were much better on the left when Khan arrived at half time and on the right when JMD came on. Efete seemed to have more space to bomb down the right thereafter though he still struggled to deliver a killer cross. Whilst Swindon looked much more accomplished 1st half, we gave away 2 soft goals, the 2nd an absolute howler from Smith. It's still a game we shouldn't have lost with a flurry of chances in the dying minutes. I hope a fit Khan now gets his chance and I'm also in the JMD camp as he adds just that bit of true quality to create decisive opportunities.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 119
rancido
September 25, 2022, 5:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,612
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't think my criticism is harsh, just my assessment of his performance at this match and other games this season. I'm sure with some encouragement and instruction from the coaching staff then Efete could regain the form he showed when he first joined us. As regards Glennon then he could also try to regain the performances he had when he first joined us on loan. Surely, as posters on this message board, we are allowed constructive criticism of a player?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 119
Mayaman
September 25, 2022, 5:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,420
Gold Stars: 74
JMD needs to figure more on Tuesday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 119
Hagrid
September 25, 2022, 5:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,476
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from ginnywings
Glennon looks a tad slow to me. Maybe he needs time to get up to match speed  and fitness but he seems to make a lot of last ditch tackles.

I also think the midfield needs a shake up. Kiernan just doesn't create anything, and I can see why Hartlepool let Holohan go once they got back into the EFL. It's a very hard-working midfield, but not very creative. When their winger got around the back of us, he laid the goal on a plate for the arriving player. Kiernan got around the back of their defence 2 or 3 times and the final cross/shot left a lot to be desired.

I think that once Morris is back and Green is up to speed, Holohan will struggle to get in the starting 11, given that Hunt looks to be a starter if fit. There's then JMD, Khan and Wearne, any of whom could play in the Kiernan slot.

May also be time to give Smith a breather and get Maher on the pitch.

I think there has to be some changes for Tuesday, because we are just not that threatening, especially as the home team.

Well they had players arriving in the box, we never do.

Also forgot about Wearne
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 119
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.