12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
September 25, 2022, 8:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think, on reflection we just weren’t at the races today. We weren’t as bad as some are making out but it wasn’t good enough and Hurst said the same.

Too many had off day, which is gonna happen, guess it’s just annoying it was at home. That said, the game should probably have been a draw, it wasn’t, that’s unfortunate but we love to fight another day.

Swindon made the league 2 playoffs last year and were consistent throughout the season, we were in the conference. The fact we more than competed shows how far we’ve come.

I expect changes on Tuesday, I’d imagine Kiernan gone and possibly Holohan…Hurst mkll is ruthless, more so than mkl so we’ve nothing to worry about.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 119
Poojah
September 25, 2022, 8:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,637
Gold Stars: 1,505
Quoted from aldi_01
I think, on reflection we just weren’t at the races today. We weren’t as bad as some are making out but it wasn’t good enough and Hurst said the same.

Too many had off day, which is gonna happen, guess it’s just annoying it was at home. That said, the game should probably have been a draw, it wasn’t, that’s unfortunate but we love to fight another day.

Swindon made the league 2 playoffs last year and were consistent throughout the season, we were in the conference. The fact we more than competed shows how far we’ve come.

I expect changes on Tuesday, I’d imagine Kiernan gone and possibly Holohan…Hurst mkll is ruthless, more so than mkl so we’ve nothing to worry about.

I do wonder just how ruthless Hurst will be. Waterfall and Smith have been superb all season but with the latter having something of an off day yesterday, how much of a drop in levels can you afford before someone with the obvious quality of Maher gets a sniff of the shirt?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 119
Lost in Lincoln
September 25, 2022, 8:44am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +386
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Always strange how supporters at the same game see things differently. Swindon were obviously a decent side with good passing and movement but despite that had to rely on us pretty much gifting them both goals and other than that hardly recall Max having to make a save.

Amazed some had Clifton as MOM as it was certainly not his best game and on a couple of occasions wasted a decent opportunity to create something and if he is to play than he should be more central which would also make our central midfield more compact and give us a better opportunity to take control of this area of the pitch. His energy would also allow him to get forward and help press the opposition back.

The forward threat is not helped by Kiernan who to me offers less threat than Sousa as he doesn’t attack his full back as much, if at all, and his end product be it a cross or shot is no better than Sousa. Equally in the two home matches I’ve seen Richardson play he doesn’t yet look ready for L2 football and whilst I acknowledge that’s one of the reasons he’s here currently I would be resting him.

As for Efete I see nothing wrong with him defensively and the only time he was really caught out today were from a quality cross field fifty yard pass so don’t blame him for that. I noticed in the first half a reluctance to really bomb forwards like he did last year and I’m wondering if he still has a mental problem worrying about his hamstring? That said he put over one really excellent cross in each half and also should probably have gone for goal first half when he tried to lay off a header for Taylor.

Overall a very average performance but I would agree with those who would like to see JMD and Khan start on Tuesday but we must get someone closer to Taylor. I might also give Maher a run instead of Smith not necessarily because he had a bad game but he’s still very young and sitting out a game or two, like he did last year May do him the world of good.

Agree re Kiernan, I said at the time of Sousa's release, that whilst I was a little bit surprised, I could see why he was let go.  We seem to have signed a clone in Kiernan though  

On the plus side, with Khan back in action, I expect him to take Kiernan's place in the side in the coming weeks as he gets fitter, hes shown glimpses of what hes about in the hour he's played so far.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 72 - 119
Lost in Lincoln
September 25, 2022, 8:47am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +386
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Too many players struggled today.

Holohan was poor and couldn't get into it. Richardson for all his effort was a complete passenger, he looks to have ability but is maybe trying too hard.

I love Smith but he's had a shocker for the 2nd and missed two absolute sitters, the first one is criminal after Pepple's equally awful miss.

Glennon got a roasting today as well, he was lucky not to be the 1 sent off for me, he was in with both feet just as much as the other lad.

Didn't deserve anything today, but should be sat here with at least another point. Maybe need to go two up top at home, Pepple is a shocking finisher but would be a right nuisance alongside Taylor.

I too thought Glennon was gone when  the ref ran over and immediately took out his cards.  

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 73 - 119
moosey_club
September 25, 2022, 9:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,277
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln

I too thought Glennon was gone when  the ref ran over and immediately took out his cards.  

I started to berate the ref then realised he was showing the card to their player 🤣

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 119
Maringer
September 25, 2022, 9:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,623
Gold Stars: 185
Glennon jumped in a bit, I think, but got the ball which meant their No. 23 got him. It was his 4th or 5th bookable offence of the game (he pulled breaking players back twice in the first half without receiving any punishment), so I don't think he can feel too hard done by.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 119
devs
September 25, 2022, 10:34am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
First time in a long time I have been frustrated with GTFC performance
Soft goals conceded
Appalling misses at the end
But main issue is final third and not taking enough care of the ball
Final pass - over-running ball - poor crosses

With such a strong bench PH can shake it up quickly - it might be a tad unfair on a few but I do feel our recent starting XI is the 'hard-working' one which is OK and served us well away from home but any team needs some craft at any level, especially at home when you need to be on the front foot

I expect 3/4 changes Tuesday - Maher could start (seems very harsh on Smith - who has been superb - but Maher is quality and Smith might need a rest); Richardson and Holohan could make way; I'd like to see two wide men (Khan and JMD) and Clifton alongside Hunt although Harry's passing is not his strong point

PH seems to prefer 433 or 4312 so be interesting to see what he does

I also think Efete is fortunate Cropper is injured - Efete control and distribution way off the level needed

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 119
forza ivano
September 25, 2022, 10:36am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,264
Gold Stars: 266
Feel sorry for Efete, i wonder what's gone wrong? TBH if he doesn't get his act together i can see PH  bringing in another RB in Jan.IMHO cropper isn't at the level we will need and RB is one fo the easier positions to fill
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 119
Poojah
September 25, 2022, 10:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,637
Gold Stars: 1,505
Quoted from devs
First time in a long time I have been frustrated with GTFC performance
Soft goals conceded
Appalling misses at the end
But main issue is final third and not taking enough care of the ball
Final pass - over-running ball - poor crosses

With such a strong bench PH can shake it up quickly - it might be a tad unfair on a few but I do feel our recent starting XI is the 'hard-working' one which is OK and served us well away from home but any team needs some craft at any level, especially at home when you need to be on the front foot

I expect 3/4 changes Tuesday - Maher could start (seems very harsh on Smith - who has been superb - but Maher is quality and Smith might need a rest); Richardson and Holohan could make way; I'd like to see two wide men (Khan and JMD) and Clifton alongside Hunt although Harry's passing is not his strong point

PH seems to prefer 433 or 4312 so be interesting to see what he does

I also think Efete is fortunate Cropper is injured - Efete control and distribution way off the level needed

I would be tempted to go with the following on Tuesday night, fitness permitting.

Crocombe
Efete / Waterfall / Maher / Glennon
Holohan / Hunt / Clifton
JMD / Taylor / Khan

There’s certainly an argument that it’s harsh on Smith to be dropped on the basis of 1 dodgy performance, but you have to ask how else Maher is going to get in otherwise? If you’ve got 3 centre halves of such quality and only two starting berths, I think you have to be setting extremely high standards, which Smith fell slightly below yesterday.

We’re not creating enough in open play which in turn is giving the opposition the confidence to come at us in numbers; that front line looks more capable of doing more with our attacking possession than we have in recent home games. Whilst Richardson clearly has quality I think he’s still getting to grips with the physicality of League Two and isn’t involved enough in games for my liking.

Be interesting to see what Hurst does, assuming he’s still here of course.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 119
rancido
September 25, 2022, 11:01am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,609
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Norseman

Efete solid defensively .Really he went missing at the back post for the first goal .Got caught wrong side quite a few times .IMO he was awful

I agree, I don't think Efete is as good as a defender as some make out. He had a tendency to ball watch and I think his positioning is questionable at times. A previous poster mentioned how he was only beaten by a brilliant though ball but if his positioning had been correct then he wouldn't have been beaten in the first place. His strength is when he goes forward but when he doesn't do that then our right hand side is weakened. I personally prefer Cropper as a defender and his throw IMO makes up for his weakness in an attacking situation.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 119
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.