12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
louth_in_the_south
September 24, 2022, 6:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,703
Gold Stars: 96
The last time we got promoted from the NL I think we all had that nagging doubt that we could easily end up back there under the previous owner . And it happened. I was almost reconciled to it happening,, we just sunk without a whimper .
But this time I don’t feel that . We’re going to be ok this year and can see us growing into the club we all want . Maybe not world beaters but ill be happy bouncing up and down between L1-L2 . I’m not overly ambitious but as long as GTFC is healthy I’m happy 👍👍

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 119
DB
September 24, 2022, 6:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
We never turned up in the first half and only upped our game in the last 10/15 mins of the second half. Smith, Kiernan, Glennon and Holohan were all very poor in the first half and could all have been replaced.

The transformation with the subs in the second half managed to stop the rot and it wasn't till the end of the game when they got their act together. Swindon were down to 10 men with 30 minutes to play and we failed to take any advantage. In fact, a few times it looked like Town had 10 men!

MoM was Khan who staked a starting place in the next game. Clifton did ok as did Hunt but Efte did no better than Sousa, his end product was poor and defending wasn't brilliant. Swindon were above average but I can't see them in the automatic promotion spots nor us on this dire performance.

So onwards and, hopefully upwards, on Tuesday.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 119
Kris2
September 24, 2022, 6:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from pontoonlew

Hunt has started twice since he came back, was good against Colchester so what you’re saying is he played badly today?

Tbh looked to me like Holohan going missing far too often left him with too much to do. Not sure why anybody could think Hunt played badly today when he was trying to make things happen but was also having to defend a lot, he looked out on his feet by the end of it. I'm not sure Holohan knew where he should be playing or what his role was.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 119
Maringer
September 24, 2022, 6:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,623
Gold Stars: 185
Swindon were big and strong at the back, cynical but able to play a bit in midfield and with some pace out wide. The first time I've seen us struggle so much defending set pieces as we just kept missing the ball which led to their opener. Both of our full-backs had poor games defensively and it was frankly bizarre how often they almost got in behind us with a simple diagonal ball over the top. We just didn't try to close them down or stop them passing in the first half but it took an almighty misjudgement from Smith for them to score again.

One of the biggest issues in the first half was that we were virtually playing with 10 men as Richardson simply wasn't getting involved - he barely touched the ball for the first 30 minutes and he just doesn't have a clue how to do any defending. We looked much more solid after making the changes at half-time and Khan showed some nice touches. Very positive with the ball and found a pass as often as not.

Unfortunately, we lost our heads for most of the game after the red card. Too much slow passing across the back, the midfield just piling into the box so there was a big gap between defence and the forwards most of the time. How not to play against ten men, fundamentally. That said, we should have scored the equaliser. Enough good chances that one had to be taken and one or two of the efforts blocked from close range should have been forced in. Absolute madness right at the death as Crocombe was attempting to punt a goal kick forward, into a stiff breeze whilst half of our players were up near their box. Needless to say, it just gifted them possession.

I agree that we're just not playing well enough at home at the moment. I'm hopeful that things will get better now some of the injured players are coming back with Khan especially looking as though he can contribute.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 119
Lost in Lincoln
September 24, 2022, 7:07pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +386
Gold Stars: 7
Well, one to forget and move on!

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 119
Spurn boy
September 24, 2022, 7:08pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 30
Today was one of those off days that come along every few weeks, Swindon were the better team all game and their passing in the first half was quick and accurate. Town’s defence today was poor for whatever reason. During the first half Clifton lost his footing 3 times which says he had the wrong studs or the pitch had too much water on it. Richardson was a big disappointment today and rightly subbed but Taylor held the ball well but had little support. Very scrappy 2nd half and as soon as Swindon went down to 10 men you knew it would be a struggle.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 119
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 24, 2022, 7:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,830
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
The last time we got promoted from the NL I think we all had that nagging doubt that we could easily end up back there under the previous owner . And it happened. I was almost reconciled to it happening,, we just sunk without a whimper .
But this time I don’t feel that . We’re going to be ok this year and can see us growing into the club we all want . Maybe not world beaters but ill be happy bouncing up and down between L1-L2 . I’m not overly ambitious but as long as GTFC is healthy I’m happy 👍👍

Agree with you. Lovely stuff. 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 119
MuddyWaters
September 24, 2022, 7:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Another thought. Richardson can’t play the McAtee role - he is what he is, a lad playing a man’s game.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 119
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 24, 2022, 7:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,756
Gold Stars: 80
Always strange how supporters at the same game see things differently. Swindon were obviously a decent side with good passing and movement but despite that had to rely on us pretty much gifting them both goals and other than that hardly recall Max having to make a save.

Amazed some had Clifton as MOM as it was certainly not his best game and on a couple of occasions wasted a decent opportunity to create something and if he is to play than he should be more central which would also make our central midfield more compact and give us a better opportunity to take control of this area of the pitch. His energy would also allow him to get forward and help press the opposition back.

The forward threat is not helped by Kiernan who to me offers less threat than Sousa as he doesn’t attack his full back as much, if at all, and his end product be it a cross or shot is no better than Sousa. Equally in the two home matches I’ve seen Richardson play he doesn’t yet look ready for L2 football and whilst I acknowledge that’s one of the reasons he’s here currently I would be resting him.

As for Efete I see nothing wrong with him defensively and the only time he was really caught out today were from a quality cross field fifty yard pass so don’t blame him for that. I noticed in the first half a reluctance to really bomb forwards like he did last year and I’m wondering if he still has a mental problem worrying about his hamstring? That said he put over one really excellent cross in each half and also should probably have gone for goal first half when he tried to lay off a header for Taylor.

Overall a very average performance but I would agree with those who would like to see JMD and Khan start on Tuesday but we must get someone closer to Taylor. I might also give Maher a run instead of Smith not necessarily because he had a bad game but he’s still very young and sitting out a game or two, like he did last year May do him the world of good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 119
headingly_mariner
September 24, 2022, 7:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,392
Gold Stars: 120
Too many players struggled today.

Holohan was poor and couldn't get into it. Richardson for all his effort was a complete passenger, he looks to have ability but is maybe trying too hard.

I love Smith but he's had a shocker for the 2nd and missed two absolute sitters, the first one is criminal after Pepple's equally awful miss.

Glennon got a roasting today as well, he was lucky not to be the 1 sent off for me, he was in with both feet just as much as the other lad.

Didn't deserve anything today, but should be sat here with at least another point. Maybe need to go two up top at home, Pepple is a shocking finisher but would be a right nuisance alongside Taylor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 119
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.