Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Lower Smith's racism/homophobic comment?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 43 Guests

Lower Smith's racism/homophobic comment?

This thread currently has 27,624 views. Print
38 Pages Prev ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
November 19, 2021, 12:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

He will just have to be cancelled I am afraid just like those he accused who have lost their jobs and livelihood following his accusations.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Do the crime serve the time so to speak.

I am actually sad writing that as I preferred a world where we were forgiven for past mistakes, but this bloke has taken things to a whole new level of hypocrisy and set out to destroy decent people who may or may not have made mistakes like most human beings.

Vaughan should’ve been flipping binned off well before this…one can only assume the i here fly racist organisations operating cricket chose to ignore it…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 320 - 371
Ipswin
November 19, 2021, 12:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from KingstonMariner

, the fact he said racist stuff himself does not mean he wasn’t himself the victim of racism.  

I haven't seen anything anywhere that suggests he wasn't the victim of racism, clearly he was, merely that he too was guilty of a racist outburst and that he is therefore a hypocrite. An old well known phrase, no longer politically correct (which I will therefore not repeat) springs to mind which involves a pot and a kettle

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 321 - 371
Maringer
November 19, 2021, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,704
Gold Stars: 189
I don't think anybody has ever claimed that the pot calling the kettle black has anything to do with race, so I can't see any way it could be considered politically incorrect. It's about soot, not skin colour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 322 - 371
lew chaterleys lover
November 19, 2021, 1:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,812
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from Maringer
I don't think anybody has ever claimed that the pot calling the kettle black has anything to do with race, so I can't see any way it could be considered politically incorrect. It's about soot, not skin colour.

Not sure about that.

I was told off the other day by my teenage granddaughter for calling a blackbird...a blackbird.

This is how it is getting ingrained in society that any reference to black is somehow distasteful.

Beyond bizarre but there you are.
Private Message
Reply: 323 - 371
ska face
November 19, 2021, 1:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,848
Gold Stars: 854
Something that definitely happened, oh yes.
Private Message
Reply: 324 - 371
Ipswin
November 19, 2021, 1:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Maringer

Be assured someone would contrive to see something racist in it and perhaps it isn't the most appropriate way of describing this situation (I am waiting for criticism for suggesting that Rafiq tried to appear 'whiter than white' when appearing before the CSC knowing he himself had made racist comments)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 325 - 371
aldi_01
November 19, 2021, 2:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

Not sure about that.

I was told off the other day by my teenage granddaughter for calling a blackbird...a blackbird.

This is how it is getting ingrained in society that any reference to black is somehow distasteful.

This is like one of those ‘overheard in Waitrose’ things isn’t it?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 326 - 371
lew chaterleys lover
November 19, 2021, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,812
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from aldi_01

This is like one of those ‘overheard in Waitrose’ things isn’t it?

Waitrose? Get you.

Like I say it is beyond bizarre but when teenagers start coming out with stuff like that it makes you wonder what the hell is happening in school and the social media sites they are on.
Private Message
Reply: 327 - 371
Maringer
November 19, 2021, 3:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,704
Gold Stars: 189

Not sure about that.

As I'm sure you're aware, there's a lot of casual racism around. If your granddaughter really thought calling a blackbird was racist, I hope you explained why it wasn't. Similarly, blackboard. Doesn't really bother me that they call them chalkboards these days as both descriptions are accurate Similarly, if anybody thought pot and kettle was racist, they should be informed of the origins of the saying and that it had no relation to race. Similarly, 'Whiter than white' and so forth. Calling bad guys the 'black hats' as well, for example (that's from Westerns, I believe).

There are other terms with racists connotations which might be ignorantly used in an inappropriate manner. Probably not the end of the world if some of those are phased out. After all, language changes all the time and has done since time immemorial.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 328 - 371
Manchester Mariner
November 19, 2021, 3:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,824
Gold Stars: 41

Not sure about that.

I reckon either your granddaughter is winding Grandad up or she's Wokey McWokeface.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 329 - 371
38 Pages Prev ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Lower Smith's racism/homophobic comment?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.