7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
fishyfan
August 25, 2017, 11:41am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: -120
Quoted from Cloudy

Fans up and down the country have voiced their disapproval at allowing their established clubs to play against B/Under 23/Under21 from the Premiership clubs as a protest, primarily because the principal is wrong and undermines the competition that was the Cup for the lower leagues. This competition in its earlier guise gave me the most moving moment in my life following Town and I include Nathan Arnolds clincher at Wembley.
Yes, the competition was dying, but it could easily have been re-invented by going for Group stages including local derbies. that would have got the interest up and made it far more commercially viable for the clubs.

Instead the owners voted for a few quid to help out the money laden Premiership. Help to get a couple of extra competitive games for their youngsters who they stockpile in their hundreds with little hope of getting Top level First team football.. If they genuinely wanted to develop them they would be better off getting battle hardened by going out on season long loans to League 1 or 2 sides OR, better still, playing for the lower league clubs and then, if they show enough promise, being bought. Financially better for both clubs and IMO far better for the lads and development of players.

Personally I am so despondent over the money at the top level, the cheating and conning of officials that I want nothing to do with them. The fact that the owners of lower league clubs have been blinded by a few quid does anger me especially when the fans voices are ignored. I honestly believe that the decision by GTFC's board and the boards of other clubs will actually cost them longer term.

No business can ignore its customers, keep kicking them without the expectation that sooner or later they will turn against them.

I can 100% confirm that whether we were playing Scunthorpe, Lincoln or whoever I would boycott Wembley and every other game in this competition. Until clubs start to listen to their fans and realise football without fans is nothing I will continue my stance.

This is a personal stance and know others feel differently. Their choice but i for one will not be 'sucking up' to John Fenty or this competition

If you wouldnt go to a wembley cup final due to this is begs the question as to why you support football, as all in all the game is about winning trophies and days out like that, regardless of what trophy it is they dont come along often. And if we did get to the final and win it, you would probably never admit it but you would have some degree of regret for not being there and being part of it, as we can all remember what that day was like back in 98.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 67
MuddyWaters
August 25, 2017, 11:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from fishyfan

If you wouldnt go to a wembley cup final due to this is begs the question as to why you support football, as all in all the game is about winning trophies and days out like that, regardless of what trophy it is they dont come along often. And if we did get to the final and win it, you would probably never admit it but you would have some degree of regret for not being there and being part of it, as we can all remember what that day was like back in 98.

Thanks Mr Fenty.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 67
Vance Warner
August 25, 2017, 11:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,807
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from fishyfan

Staggering how much you miss the point on this. Why I support a football club is because I fell in love watching them representing our town playing other teams from other towns who were equally loved by their supporters. I love the atmosphere and the rivalries that have developed over a hundred years. I've supported town for 25 years and we've only won anything in two of them. I'm not motivated by winning trophies let's face it unless you support one of 5 clubs out of 91 you've got very little chance anyway. I'm not bothered by money and what a benign loan is. I just want to carry on watching our club winning and losing against other proper clubs like generations of Grimbarians have done before us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 67
Cloudy
August 25, 2017, 11:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from fishyfan

If you wouldn't go to a Wembley cup final due to this is begs the question as to why you support football, as all in all the game is about winning trophies and days out like that, regardless of what trophy it is they dont come along often. And if we did get to the final and win it, you would probably never admit it but you would have some degree of regret for not being there and being part of it, as we can all remember what that day was like back in 98.

Begs the question why I support football? Really?

I support GTFC and have been an avid supporter since my first visit in 1965. It is exactly BECAUSE of this support for my club that i am taking a stand against something I see as intrinsically wrong, something that damages the club and the game IMO.

I am not blind like some, I am principled in life, I know what I think is right and what I think is wrong. I have the courage of my own convictions and are comfortable in my beliefs.

I strongly believe this competition and the way it has been bought, is totally wrong
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 67
MuddyWaters
August 25, 2017, 12:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Cloudy

I support GTFC and have been an avid supporter since my first visit in 1965. It is exactly BECAUSE of this support for my club that i am taking a stand against something I see as intrinsically wrong, something that damages the club and the game IMO.

I am not blind like some, I am principled in life, I know what I think is right and what I think is wrong. I have the courage of my own convictions and are comfortable in my beliefs.

I strongly believe this competition and the way it has been bought, is totally wrong

Exactly this Cloudy. You pre-date me by 3 years but my ethos on GTFC is much the same. I want to see us win, I want to see us give 100% and I want us to be the best we can be within our limitations.

What really pisses me off is that the person running the club, who is clearly a fan himself, can treat the rest of the fanbase with such disdain.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 67
headingly_mariner
August 25, 2017, 12:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from fishyfan

If that's what you think being a football fan is about, you might be supporting the wrong team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 67
fishyfan
August 25, 2017, 12:16pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

If that's what you think being a football fan is about, you might be supporting the wrong team.

I dont support the wrong team all i am saying is that them special days when you win at wembley are the ones which are remembered most fondly in your memory, and whoever you are there would be some regret at not being at it, over trying to boycott the competition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 67
mariner83
August 25, 2017, 12:19pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Vance Warner

Staggering how much you miss the point on this. Why I support a football club is because I fell in love watching them representing our town playing other teams from other towns who were equally loved by their supporters. I love the atmosphere and the rivalries that have developed over a hundred years. I've supported town for 25 years and we've only won anything in two of them. I'm not motivated by winning trophies let's face it unless you support one of 5 clubs out of 91 you've got very little chance anyway. I'm not bothered by money and what a benign loan is. I just want to carry on watching our club winning and losing against other proper clubs like generations of Grimbarians have done before us.

Quoted from Cloudy

Both have been supporting for longer than I have, but I completely agree with what you've said.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 57 - 67
mariner83
August 25, 2017, 12:24pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from fishyfan

I dont support the wrong team all i am saying is that them special days when you win at wembley are the ones which are remembered most fondly in your memory, and whoever you are there would be some regret at not being at it, over trying to boycott the competition.

Maybe so, after years of not being able to go to a lot of home games, I'm now in the position to be able to go to almost all of them and have once again got a season ticket.  Actually choosing to not go to a match is not a decision I took lightly, but I think if I (and others who aren't happy) carried on going to the Checkatrade games in the current format it wold give the wrong impression to those in charge.  I get the feeling I'm not alone in this.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 58 - 67
fishyfan
August 25, 2017, 12:25pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Thanks Mr Fenty.

mr fenty???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mansfield Tickets

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.