Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 23, 2017, 2:29pm
Difficult not be be cynical that the club have made it 1:1 for season ticket holders and then beyond that you need a ticket stub from the Donny Checkatrade game. Hope people won't be that easily swayed into attending.
Posted by: oochiad, August 23, 2017, 2:31pm; Reply: 1
We've only 1600 allocated so surely they'll all be snapped up by us season ticket holders before the checkertwat cup game.....
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 23, 2017, 3:13pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Difficult not be be cynical that the club have made it 1:1 for season ticket holders and then beyond that you need a ticket stub from the Donny Checkatrade game. Hope people won't be that easily swayed into attending.

Exactly. It's shameful as the vast majority of fans have always been against it. Those that run the club don't give a toss about the fans.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, August 23, 2017, 4:16pm; Reply: 3
There will be plenty for general sale then
Posted by: HotToddy, August 23, 2017, 9:10pm; Reply: 4
VAST MAJORITY?
Posted by: Cloudy, August 23, 2017, 9:12pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Exactly. It's shameful as the vast majority of fans have always been against it. Those that run the club don't give a toss about the fans.

A very underhand attempt to try and boost the attendance for the Checkatrade trophy. It makes me even more determined to boycott.

Ordinarily they would have made it stubs from the Wycombe game but it's just the clubs (JF) way of taking a swipe at those who disagree with him.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 23, 2017, 9:16pm; Reply: 6
I appreciate the club were probably waiting on allocation from Mansfield, but it would have been helpful to announce this before last nights game. One of my mates will collect everyones season ticket and go during his working day, it now becomes a pain during the working week to get our season tickets to him. Would have been easy if we could have done that Tuesday night.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 23, 2017, 9:24pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from 75
I appreciate the club were probably waiting on allocation from Mansfield, but it would have been helpful to announce this before last nights game. One of my mates will collect everyones season ticket and go during his working day, it now becomes a pain during the working week to get our season tickets to him. Would have been easy if we could have done that Tuesday night.

Surely it was pretty obvious that it was going to be announced that season ticket holders would have first dibs so why didn't you give him your season tickets on Tuesday anyway?
Posted by: Cloudy, August 23, 2017, 9:36pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Les Brechin

Surely it was pretty obvious that it was going to be announced that season ticket holders would have first dibs so why didn't you give him your season tickets on Tuesday anyway?

Have to admit I didn't take my season tkt with me on Tuesday with it being a Cup game
Posted by: LH, August 23, 2017, 9:39pm; Reply: 9
The ticket details weren't released til about five mins before kick off were they? Thursday seems such an odd day to bring them out but I suppose Tuesday is a matchday for the club even if it isn't for the fans.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 23, 2017, 9:40pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Les Brechin

I have no foresight whatsoever. :-(
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 23, 2017, 9:56pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from 75

I have no foresight whatsoever. :-(

Must get off to spesavers read that as foreskin.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, August 23, 2017, 10:18pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from friskneymariner

Must get off to spesavers read that as foreskin.

Yes you must  :)
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 23, 2017, 10:29pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from HotToddy
VAST MAJORITY?

Comfortably the vast majority. We had our lowest competitive gate ever. Fans were also canvassed by the Trust and the vast majority were against the inclusion of B teams.
Posted by: Jaws, August 24, 2017, 12:56am; Reply: 14
Realistically how many extra people will go to the Donny game? I cannot imagine many will. I would have thought the 1,600 tickets will be gone or mostly gone by then. Would be a big 2 fingers to the idea of using it to boost the Donny attendance.
Posted by: Bigdog, August 24, 2017, 4:11am; Reply: 15
It is a cynical and disrespectful move by JF and the club. Makes his statement in the summer about understanding the feelings of the fans about this farce of a tournament no more than lip service. Proves that the divide between the club and fans is just getting wider.

Just remember this when you're about to type that you'd rather a fan of GTFC run the club rather than anyone else. Andrea Radrizzani, is not a lifelong fan of Leeds United, but since he took over the club in the summer, he has galvanised the whole city behind him. He gets Leeds so much more than JF gets GTFC, and that's in three months.

JF has been in charge for a very long time now and looks like he's going to be in charge for the rest of my lifetime. The Checkatrade farce and the way he uses the Trust, it smacks of a mini dictatorship. We need a fresh start and a leader who the fans feel are on their side just like Radrizzani.

Yes I know, JF stuck his £2-3m in to save the club, but that's hell of a long time ago. He still owns that figure in share value and should recoup that figure in any sale. For that kind of money I think 15 years is about long enough to call the shots at a football club in this day and age.  

I don't think the figure he's put in gives him the moral right to be in charge for as long as he sees fit. It could be another twenty or thirty years of our club being run the JF way. Does that fill anyone with an iota of excitement? I'm sure JF does the best he can, but is it good enough any more? And is it right for one man to shape a community's football club in his own vision over several generations long of supporters for a couple of million quid which is dwarfed by the fans contribution to the club over that period?

All these years later, he still acts like it's us and them and this decision regarding ticket stubs just proves it. We deserve better than this and we need to be pushing for change. I've spent a couple of decades being frustrated, not entertained or excited watching my club, feeding on scraps and the thought of twenty more years of this fills me with dread.

We desperately need new investment and thinking at the club, and if JF loved the club more than running it, he should be out there trying to bring fresh cash and blood in and have the good grace to loosen his stranglehold. If he did that, I'd thank him for his efforts and for saving my club. I know it's the Grimsby way to question who, why, what and where, change could be a negative step and all that. But why are we always so fearful of change and so inward looking? Do we always have to be so well.. Grimsby?

l will never fall out of love with GTFC but I'm seriously running out of patience with a club that never gives me any encouragement to retain that spark. I need it to give me something back rather than it just relying on my loyalty because it knows I'll always be there, one of the hundred or so who went to Carlisle midweek after the Auto Windscreens final in 98 or travelling twice in a week to Colchester after the first one was waterlogged.

Checkatrade ticket stub bribe for away tickets.. FFS

Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 24, 2017, 7:01am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Bigdog
It is a cynical and disrespectful move by JF and the club. Makes his statement in the summer about understanding the feelings of the fans about this farce of a tournament no more than lip service. Proves that the divide between the club and fans is just getting wider.

Just remember this when you're about to type that you'd rather a fan of GTFC run the club rather than anyone else. Andrea Radrizzani, is not a lifelong fan of Leeds United, but since he took over the club in the summer, he has galvanised the whole city behind him. He gets Leeds so much more than JF gets GTFC, and that's in three months.

JF has been in charge for a very long time now and looks like he's going to be in charge for the rest of my lifetime. The Checkatrade farce and the way he uses the Trust, it smacks of a mini dictatorship. We need a fresh start and a leader who the fans feel are on their side just like Radrizzani.

Yes I know, JF stuck his £2-3m in to save the club, but that's hell of a long time ago. He still owns that figure in share value and should recoup that figure in any sale. For that kind of money I think 15 years is about long enough to call the shots at a football club in this day and age.  

I don't think the figure he's put in gives him the moral right to be in charge for as long as he sees fit. It could be another twenty or thirty years of our club being run the JF way. Does that fill anyone with an iota of excitement? I'm sure JF does the best he can, but is it good enough any more? And is it right for one man to shape a community's football club in his own vision over several generations long of supporters for a couple of million quid which is dwarfed by the fans contribution to the club over that period?

All these years later, he still acts like it's us and them and this decision regarding ticket stubs just proves it. We deserve better than this and we need to be pushing for change. I've spent a couple of decades being frustrated, not entertained or excited watching my club, feeding on scraps and the thought of twenty more years of this fills me with dread.

We desperately need new investment and thinking at the club, and if JF loved the club more than running it, he should be out there trying to bring fresh cash and blood in and have the good grace to loosen his stranglehold. If he did that, I'd thank him for his efforts and for saving my club. I know it's the Grimsby way to question who, why, what and where, change could be a negative step and all that. But why are we always so fearful of change and so inward looking? Do we always have to be so well.. Grimsby?

l will never fall out of love with GTFC but I'm seriously running out of patience with a club that never gives me any encouragement to retain that spark. I need it to give me something back rather than it just relying on my loyalty because it knows I'll always be there, one of the hundred or so who went to Carlisle after the Auto Windscreens final in 98 or travelling twice in a week to Colchester after the first one was waterlogged.

Checkatrade ticket stub bribe for away tickets.. FFS

Whilst I agree with much of what you say I dont think using Leeds both as a club and City is a realistic as a comparison to GTFC is a realistic one.

Do we need fresh investment and ideas? Yes, is anyone on the horizon? I doubt, so we are stuck with the current regime for a while yet I'm afraid.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 24, 2017, 7:10am; Reply: 17
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Whilst I agree with much of what you say I dont think using Leeds both as a club and City is a realistic as a comparison to GTFC is a realistic one.

Do we need fresh investment and ideas? Yes, is anyone on the horizon? I doubt, so we are stuck with the current regime for a while yet I'm afraid.

Bigdog has it right IMO

Ask yourself Why nobody is on the horizon to invest Herts. Again, imo, it is the same as to why we are still at BP. Once they see through the initial charm offensive, it is impossible to work with our 'leader'. Councillors, investors and many business people all say the same
Posted by: Bigdog, August 24, 2017, 7:39am; Reply: 18
Quoted from HertsGTFC

It is a good comparison not in size but in action and sentiment scaled down to a club of our size..

Yep, let's all just shrug our shoulders for another twenty years.

There will be no better time to attract inward investors and a broader range of talent and ideas when JF hopefully delivers planning permission for the new stadium...

He should be out there trying to attract those kind of people and take a side step rather than retaining all the power far distant into the future. His onfield record as a "chairman" in factual terms is much more of a failure than a success I'm sorry to say knowing he's put a lot of effort in. Sometimes effort is not enough whether on the pitch or in the boardroom.
Posted by: mariner83, August 24, 2017, 7:47am; Reply: 19
Quoted from 75

Can they be ordered online, handing over the ST stubs on collection?
Posted by: MrFisherman, August 24, 2017, 8:03am; Reply: 20
Why is it cynical for it to be 1:1 should always be this
Posted by: Kristine, August 24, 2017, 9:01am; Reply: 21
Quoted from mariner83

Can they be ordered online, handing over the ST stubs on collection?

Yes
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 24, 2017, 3:15pm; Reply: 22
Good to see the Trust openly support the boycott game. Be nice if the Trust and SLO could raise the ticket stub issue with the club also.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 24, 2017, 3:47pm; Reply: 23
Good to see the Trust openly support the boycott game. Be nice if the Trust and SLO could raise the ticket stub issue with the club also.

They wont listen. Its JF's way or the highway.

Great to see the Trust taking on the mantle of representing the fans with 'bra-gate' and now openly backing the boycott rather than taking the club line. Long may it continue.

Power to the People!!
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, August 24, 2017, 6:44pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from 75

Club have stated season ticket holders have to produce ID in order to get a ticket, so one person with a few season tickets will not work

Posted by: gobby, August 24, 2017, 6:52pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Tangerine Chris

Club have stated season ticket holders have to produce ID in order to get a ticket, so one person with a few season tickets will not work

Wrong I am afraid Tang. All you need is ST book with Number 2 voucher out the back. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: Kristine, August 24, 2017, 7:13pm; Reply: 26
I think ID will be in relation to DOB for ticket price category.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 24, 2017, 7:49pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Kristine
I think ID will be in relation to DOB for ticket price category.

Not for season tickets in the name of a junior surely? We have already produced evidence of a 7year old to get his season ticket.  
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 24, 2017, 8:11pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Bigdog

It is a good comparison not in size but in action and sentiment scaled down to a club of our size..

Yep, let's all just shrug our shoulders for another twenty years.

There will be no better time to attract inward investors and a broader range of talent and ideas when JF hopefully delivers planning permission for the new stadium...

He should be out there trying to attract those kind of people and take a side step rather than retaining all the power far distant into the future. His onfield record as a "chairman" in factual terms is much more of a failure than a success I'm sorry to say knowing he's put a lot of effort in. Sometimes effort is not enough whether on the pitch or in the boardroom.

I don't disagree but the reality is that if we court and investor who wants to come on board JF will have to sell some of his shares which he is unlikely to do if he delivers planning permission and the golden goose is about to lay it's egg.

I guess the problem for any investor who wants to pump in the real money (millions) that would drive us forward is that in reality what is the maximum amount of home fans, commercial income and sponsorship we could attract? They would not come in and do a Shake Mansoor and would want something back and the club to achieve some form of self sufficiency at some point.

I do think we need change but as much as it hurts me to say it the potential of the club for anyone who would have the means is limited and that's just as big a reason as having to work with the current despot..
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 24, 2017, 8:15pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I don't disagree but the reality is that if we court and investor who wants to come on board JF will have to sell some of his shares which he is unlikely to do if he delivers planning permission and the golden goose is about to lay it's egg.

I guess the problem for any investor who wants to pump in the real money (millions) that would drive us forward is that in reality what is the maximum amount of home fans, commercial income and sponsorship we could attract? They would not come in and do a Shake Mansoor and would want something back and the club to achieve some form of self sufficiency at some point.

I do think we need change but as much as it hurts me to say it the potential of the club for anyone who would have the means is limited and that's just as big a reason as having to work with the current despot..

I agree but "Shake Mansoor made me laugh- visions of a shaking sheikh!
Posted by: gobby, August 24, 2017, 8:18pm; Reply: 30
I have a spare Mansfield ticket £20, pm please  8)
UTMM
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 24, 2017, 8:30pm; Reply: 31

I agree but "Shake Mansoor made me laugh- visions of a shaking sheikh!

LOL, that's the one ;)

If we did "shake" Mansoor the change that falls out of his pocket would probably keep us going for a decade or two.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 24, 2017, 8:31pm; Reply: 32
How did sales go?
Posted by: gobby, August 24, 2017, 9:24pm; Reply: 33
Ticket gone.  8)
UTMM
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 24, 2017, 10:13pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I'd like to think that the Trust and its' board member will flag this up as pretty contemptible. This football club is so stale from the top down, same old treatment of the fans, same old 'my way or the highway', we so need a fresh approach.
Posted by: barralad, August 24, 2017, 10:41pm; Reply: 35
Isn't the actual deal a stub from Wycombe or Doncaster?
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 24, 2017, 10:47pm; Reply: 36
I am sure you will all know but Mansfield is the same constabulary as Chesterfield, so after all the " trouble" at Chesterfield then I expect zero tolerance will be in play.
Posted by: Kristine, August 24, 2017, 11:03pm; Reply: 37
Mansfield are Nottinghamshire not Derbyshire.  
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 24, 2017, 11:27pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from barralad

Not according to the OS Barra. Says you must have a stub from both.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 25, 2017, 6:43am; Reply: 39
Quoted from barralad

Initially it is;
Season ticket holders
Wycombe AND Doncaster stub holders
stub holders from either of the games
Then Mariners Trust members

Looks to me that Fenty has taken his bat home re the fans and the Trusts representation of the supporters over the last few weeks.

Pathetic treatment imo
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 25, 2017, 7:07am; Reply: 40
Thanks Kristine, better have my sat navy out for the game otherwise might finish up in wrong town.
Posted by: barralad, August 25, 2017, 7:25am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Cloudy

Initially it is;
Season ticket holders
Wycombe AND Doncaster stub holders
stub holders from either of the games
Then Mariners Trust members

Looks to me that Fenty has taken his bat home re the fans and the Trusts representation of the supporters over the last few weeks.

Pathetic treatment imo

Apologies. I misread that bit totally.
Posted by: fishyfan, August 25, 2017, 9:22am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Cloudy

A very underhand attempt to try and boost the attendance for the Checkatrade trophy. It makes me even more determined to boycott.

Ordinarily they would have made it stubs from the Wycombe game but it's just the clubs (JF) way of taking a swipe at those who disagree with him.

Its your own team playing in the checkertrade trophy, yes its changed its format but so does everything over time like when play offs where introduced, so just suck it up and support your team.

If people really think boycotting the game is going to make them change it back are on another planet, the club have to do whatever they can to up the attendance it is called having a business sense, but as per usual fans just look at it as another chance to jump on the boards back.

If we end up getting to the final and say it is against Scunthorpe or Lincoln, is everyone still going to boycott it??? im pretty sure you'd have at least 10,000 fans, like coventry last year who took 35,000 plus.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 25, 2017, 9:38am; Reply: 43
Quoted from fishyfan

Its your own team playing in the checkertrade trophy, yes its changed its format but so does everything over time like when play offs where introduced, so just suck it up and support your team.

If people really think boycotting the game is going to make them change it back are on another planet, the club have to do whatever they can to up the attendance it is called having a business sense, but as per usual fans just look at it as another chance to jump on the boards back.

If we end up getting to the final and say it is against Scunthorpe or Lincoln, is everyone still going to boycott it??? im pretty sure you'd have at least 10,000 fans, like coventry last year who took 35,000 plus.

I've highlighted the bit that's relevant. I would far rather not moan about 'the board' as we all know that the majority of decisions are those of one person. As others have pointed out, we may continue to have this financial stalemate for many years to come.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 25, 2017, 10:03am; Reply: 44
Quoted from fishyfan

Fans up and down the country have voiced their disapproval at allowing their established clubs to play against B/Under 23/Under21 from the Premiership clubs as a protest, primarily because the principal is wrong and undermines the competition that was the Cup for the lower leagues. This competition in its earlier guise gave me the most moving moment in my life following Town and I include Nathan Arnolds clincher at Wembley.
Yes, the competition was dying, but it could easily have been re-invented by going for Group stages including local derbies. that would have got the interest up and made it far more commercially viable for the clubs.

Instead the owners voted for a few quid to help out the money laden Premiership. Help to get a couple of extra competitive games for their youngsters who they stockpile in their hundreds with little hope of getting Top level First team football.. If they genuinely wanted to develop them they would be better off getting battle hardened by going out on season long loans to League 1 or 2 sides OR, better still, playing for the lower league clubs and then, if they show enough promise, being bought. Financially better for both clubs and IMO far better for the lads and development of players.

Personally I am so despondent over the money at the top level, the cheating and conning of officials that I want nothing to do with them. The fact that the owners of lower league clubs have been blinded by a few quid does anger me especially when the fans voices are ignored. I honestly believe that the decision by GTFC's board and the boards of other clubs will actually cost them longer term.

No business can ignore its customers, keep kicking them without the expectation that sooner or later they will turn against them.

I can 100% confirm that whether we were playing Scunthorpe, Lincoln or whoever I would boycott Wembley and every other game in this competition. Until clubs start to listen to their fans and realise football without fans is nothing I will continue my stance.

This is a personal stance and know others feel differently. Their choice but i for one will not be 'sucking up' to John Fenty or this competition
Posted by: Bigdog, August 25, 2017, 10:25am; Reply: 45
Quoted from fishyfan

Absolutely gobsmacked with that statement.

Short Termism v Long Termism
Pounds before Principle

If JF had an iota of business sense he would have sided with the fans and voted against B teams keeping his paying customers happier and onside. The format would have gone ahead as his vote wouldn't have changed anything. PR open goal totally missed...again!! Fans would still boycott, but JF could have retained a bit of moral high ground.

There are the long term consequences of B teams entering the league and it's up to our clubs to safeguard the future not take short term bribes.
Actions like this do have short term financial implications too. The product on the pitch has been poor for a very long time  and it looks like it's going to be the same this season. Fans are getting sick of it and even the casual diehards are starting to drift away and pick their games at BP. The club is driving a wedge and fans are running out of patience. JF needs to concentrate his energy in trying to work out how to fix this rather than being crafty with ticket stubs or haranguing everyone in sight. It's always us, the long suffering loyal fans fault.

To be honest, I just don't think he's got that skill in his locker.

I'll never stop supporting my team, but it's getting really depressing and I'm bored and frustrated of following a club that's run the JF way.

Posted by: arryarryarry, August 25, 2017, 10:50am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Cloudy

Fans up and down the country have voiced their disapproval at allowing their established clubs to play against B/Under 23/Under21 from the Premiership clubs as a protest, primarily because the principal is wrong and undermines the competition that was the Cup for the lower leagues. This competition in its earlier guise gave me the most moving moment in my life following Town and I include Nathan Arnolds clincher at Wembley.
Yes, the competition was dying, but it could easily have been re-invented by going for Group stages including local derbies. that would have got the interest up and made it far more commercially viable for the clubs.

Instead the owners voted for a few quid to help out the money laden Premiership. Help to get a couple of extra competitive games for their youngsters who they stockpile in their hundreds with little hope of getting Top level First team football.. If they genuinely wanted to develop them they would be better off getting battle hardened by going out on season long loans to League 1 or 2 sides OR, better still, playing for the lower league clubs and then, if they show enough promise, being bought. Financially better for both clubs and IMO far better for the lads and development of players.

Personally I am so despondent over the money at the top level, the cheating and conning of officials that I want nothing to do with them. The fact that the owners of lower league clubs have been blinded by a few quid does anger me especially when the fans voices are ignored. I honestly believe that the decision by GTFC's board and the boards of other clubs will actually cost them longer term.

No business can ignore its customers, keep kicking them without the expectation that sooner or later they will turn against them.

I can 100% confirm that whether we were playing Scunthorpe, Lincoln or whoever I would boycott Wembley and every other game in this competition. Until clubs start to listen to their fans and realise football without fans is nothing I will continue my stance.

This is a personal stance and know others feel differently. Their choice but i for one will not be 'sucking up' to John Fenty or this competition

If you feel that strong about it why not advocate a boycott of say 2 or 3 home league games as I would assume that considering the money the club will receive from the sponsorship and however this competition was arranged even when we won it was never that well supported in its early stages.  
Posted by: Cloudy, August 25, 2017, 10:53am; Reply: 47
Having purchased my season tickets, boycotting a home league game or two wouldnt hit the club at all financially. I dont buy programmes, food etc in the ground anyway
Posted by: fishyfan, August 25, 2017, 11:33am; Reply: 48
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I've highlighted the bit that's relevant. I would far rather not moan about 'the board' as we all know that the majority of decisions are those of one person. As others have pointed out, we may continue to have this financial stalemate for many years to come.

do you go in when they make decisions or do you just presume the decisions are made by one person??? whatever the decisions are im sure they will always be with the best interest of the club at heart
Posted by: totalidiot, August 25, 2017, 11:41am; Reply: 49
The fact you can get a ticket for mansfield with a checkatrade mickey mouse stub ahead of a mariners trust member is something that saddens me...john fenty treating loyal supporters with his usual contempt...he just makes so many wrong decisions imo
Posted by: fishyfan, August 25, 2017, 11:41am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Cloudy

If you wouldnt go to a wembley cup final due to this is begs the question as to why you support football, as all in all the game is about winning trophies and days out like that, regardless of what trophy it is they dont come along often. And if we did get to the final and win it, you would probably never admit it but you would have some degree of regret for not being there and being part of it, as we can all remember what that day was like back in 98.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 25, 2017, 11:48am; Reply: 51
Quoted from fishyfan

If you wouldnt go to a wembley cup final due to this is begs the question as to why you support football, as all in all the game is about winning trophies and days out like that, regardless of what trophy it is they dont come along often. And if we did get to the final and win it, you would probably never admit it but you would have some degree of regret for not being there and being part of it, as we can all remember what that day was like back in 98.

Thanks Mr Fenty.
Posted by: Vance Warner, August 25, 2017, 11:54am; Reply: 52
Quoted from fishyfan

Staggering how much you miss the point on this. Why I support a football club is because I fell in love watching them representing our town playing other teams from other towns who were equally loved by their supporters. I love the atmosphere and the rivalries that have developed over a hundred years. I've supported town for 25 years and we've only won anything in two of them. I'm not motivated by winning trophies let's face it unless you support one of 5 clubs out of 91 you've got very little chance anyway. I'm not bothered by money and what a benign loan is. I just want to carry on watching our club winning and losing against other proper clubs like generations of Grimbarians have done before us.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 25, 2017, 11:56am; Reply: 53
Quoted from fishyfan

If you wouldn't go to a Wembley cup final due to this is begs the question as to why you support football, as all in all the game is about winning trophies and days out like that, regardless of what trophy it is they dont come along often. And if we did get to the final and win it, you would probably never admit it but you would have some degree of regret for not being there and being part of it, as we can all remember what that day was like back in 98.

Begs the question why I support football? Really?

I support GTFC and have been an avid supporter since my first visit in 1965. It is exactly BECAUSE of this support for my club that i am taking a stand against something I see as intrinsically wrong, something that damages the club and the game IMO.

I am not blind like some, I am principled in life, I know what I think is right and what I think is wrong. I have the courage of my own convictions and are comfortable in my beliefs.

I strongly believe this competition and the way it has been bought, is totally wrong
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 25, 2017, 12:02pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Cloudy

I support GTFC and have been an avid supporter since my first visit in 1965. It is exactly BECAUSE of this support for my club that i am taking a stand against something I see as intrinsically wrong, something that damages the club and the game IMO.

I am not blind like some, I am principled in life, I know what I think is right and what I think is wrong. I have the courage of my own convictions and are comfortable in my beliefs.

I strongly believe this competition and the way it has been bought, is totally wrong

Exactly this Cloudy. You pre-date me by 3 years but my ethos on GTFC is much the same. I want to see us win, I want to see us give 100% and I want us to be the best we can be within our limitations.

What really pisses me off is that the person running the club, who is clearly a fan himself, can treat the rest of the fanbase with such disdain.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 25, 2017, 12:08pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from fishyfan

If that's what you think being a football fan is about, you might be supporting the wrong team.
Posted by: fishyfan, August 25, 2017, 12:16pm; Reply: 56

If that's what you think being a football fan is about, you might be supporting the wrong team.

I dont support the wrong team all i am saying is that them special days when you win at wembley are the ones which are remembered most fondly in your memory, and whoever you are there would be some regret at not being at it, over trying to boycott the competition.
Posted by: mariner83, August 25, 2017, 12:19pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Vance Warner

Staggering how much you miss the point on this. Why I support a football club is because I fell in love watching them representing our town playing other teams from other towns who were equally loved by their supporters. I love the atmosphere and the rivalries that have developed over a hundred years. I've supported town for 25 years and we've only won anything in two of them. I'm not motivated by winning trophies let's face it unless you support one of 5 clubs out of 91 you've got very little chance anyway. I'm not bothered by money and what a benign loan is. I just want to carry on watching our club winning and losing against other proper clubs like generations of Grimbarians have done before us.

Quoted from Cloudy

Both have been supporting for longer than I have, but I completely agree with what you've said.
Posted by: mariner83, August 25, 2017, 12:24pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from fishyfan

I dont support the wrong team all i am saying is that them special days when you win at wembley are the ones which are remembered most fondly in your memory, and whoever you are there would be some regret at not being at it, over trying to boycott the competition.

Maybe so, after years of not being able to go to a lot of home games, I'm now in the position to be able to go to almost all of them and have once again got a season ticket.  Actually choosing to not go to a match is not a decision I took lightly, but I think if I (and others who aren't happy) carried on going to the Checkatrade games in the current format it wold give the wrong impression to those in charge.  I get the feeling I'm not alone in this.
Posted by: fishyfan, August 25, 2017, 12:25pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Thanks Mr Fenty.

mr fenty???
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 25, 2017, 12:37pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from fishyfan

I have only ever missed one Wembley appearance of Towns.  That was the first one. Absolutely impossible for me to get there.  I have also been fortunate to be stood with my son when we beat FGR and got back in the league.  All memorable occasions.  However, I can assure you 100% that if we do go on to win this despicable competition, I will not have spent one penny on it, or one second either watching it or listening to it on the radio.  I will have absolutely NO regrets about missing Wembley, Man U away or whatever other games we may play in it. For me, in it's current format this competition does not exist

I do believe you are after bites, so congratulations on that one.

#Fuckoffshaunharveyyoutwat
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 25, 2017, 12:38pm; Reply: 61
Just received some information that we ought to accept at face value that Mr Fenty was not involved in the ticket stub decision. Personally I apologise for jumping to conclusions but have to caveat that with the comment that someone in power did and that makes me shudder.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 25, 2017, 12:54pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Cloudy
Having purchased my season tickets, boycotting a home league game or two wouldnt hit the club at all financially. I dont buy programmes, food etc in the ground anyway

Ah I see, you are not principled enough to miss a game that you have already paid for.

Anyway I wasn't suggesting just you, why not advocate it for all fans as the boycott of the Donny game wont hit the club that much as there wouldn't have been much of a crowd anyway.
Posted by: fishyfan, August 25, 2017, 1:08pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Civvy at last

I have only ever missed one Wembley appearance of Towns.  That was the first one. Absolutely impossible for me to get there.  I have also been fortunate to be stood with my son when we beat FGR and got back in the league.  All memorable occasions.  However, I can assure you 100% that if we do go on to win this despicable competition, I will not have spent one penny on it, or one second either watching it or listening to it on the radio.  I will have absolutely NO regrets about missing Wembley, Man U away or whatever other games we may play in it. For me, in it's current format this competition does not exist

I do believe you are after bites, so congratulations on that one.

#Fuckoffshaunharveyyoutwat

not after bites just my opinion
Posted by: Cloudy, August 25, 2017, 1:09pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from arryarryarry

Ah I see, you are not principled enough to miss a game that you have already paid for.

Anyway I wasn't suggesting just you, why not advocate it for all fans as the boycott of the Donny game wont hit the club that much as there wouldn't have been much of a crowd anyway.

Going round in circles. I dont have a problem with the league so dont see the point of boycotting league games. I miss a few each season out of choice/other commitments.

I dont think this is about 'hitting the club' ( not for me at least) more about the stand against what I consider a ridiculous competition.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 25, 2017, 1:29pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from fishyfan

B teams threaten the very existence of clubs like Grimsby Town and their future in the football league.
It's short sighted for Grimsby Town fans to attend these games. I wouldn't attend in this competition even if we got to Wembley. I always went to trophy games before B teams.
As a season ticket holder and someone who goes away regularly I want to see us play against professional first teams.
Posted by: Jaws, August 25, 2017, 7:59pm; Reply: 66
If anyone is able to help me out with either 2 or 3 tickets then please PM me.

Not a ST holder due to work and off to the boycott game. I want to go to Mansfield but I'd rather miss out than sell my soul and go to the Donny game.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 25, 2017, 9:51pm; Reply: 67
My view on the whole Chekatrade bit? "freedom of choice" if people want to go to the games in this competition because they want to see GTFC play and don't give a sh1t about politics then I reckon we should respect it. We are not playing well at the moment so doubt we'll progress anyway.

The stub for the Mansfield game? I'm amazed to be honest as I did not think that GTFC had the imagination.

This would not happen if our youngsters at the highest level where not getting pushed out by average imports on big salaries
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 12:56pm