Posh Harry
May 23, 2017, 7:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,361
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from arryarryarry

One of them says his second touch was always a tackle. On that disgrace of a pitch most second touches would have been chest high or over your bl88dy head after hitting one of the mole hills, so if the ball is close enough for him to make a tackle he must be a hell of a player.

Welcome Mitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 134
Quagmire
May 23, 2017, 7:24pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from Meza
Not sure why people cant just say welcome aboard instead of scrutinising his career or lambasting him because he came from a team near the bottom of the league.  I think its obvious that some of the midfielders wont get a look in and will inevitably leave but Rose looks from what ive seen as a positive signing.  Energetic loves to tackle and can score goals.  

This is the kind of thing that people were saying when we signed Summerfield and Berret last season.  Anyone who had an opinion that signing players from a relegated side wasn't the way to improve our team were given short shrift - especially when some said it seemed daft offering them 2 year deals - now look at what people are saying, we're lumbered with 2 duffers on another years contract and trying to ship them out.

I'd be very surprised if we weren't wanting to move this lad on in 12 months time but tied to another 12 months.  You don't improve your own side by signing cast offs from teams like Newport, especially not when you give them 2 year deals.

I'd have preferred we gave Disley another year.  In fact, I'd actually prefer it if we gave our own young lads like Clifton etc more of a chance, but that doesn't look like it will happen any time soon.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 134
ginnywings
May 23, 2017, 7:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Was he really a Newport cast off though? He was not in Evans plans, so went to Newport in Jan and played 12 games; a time in which the form of Newport went up dramatically and they avoided certain relegation. His contract ended and for all we know Newport were not able to offer him a deal, or he told them that he wanted to return around this area, so they never bothered offering anything. I would say he already knew of our interest before the season was even over.

The other scenario was that he was indeed crap at Newport and they didn't want him but he was playing in a doggo side on a doggo pitch and hardly had time to set the world on fire. Some Mansfield fans rated him highly, so i wouldn't take much notice of what Newport fans say, they probably wouldn't know a good player from a bad one. He may have simply not settled at Newport. I think Slade sees him for the Paul Bolland role.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 134
Swansea_Mariner
May 23, 2017, 8:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Does seem the case Ginny looks like he fell out of favour at the end of the season and Flynn released him.

If they wanted him they would have been 'in discussions' lol
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 134
HertsGTFC
May 23, 2017, 9:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Clearly the term "manage your expectations" has not landed looking at the posts on this thread

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 134
Zmariner
May 23, 2017, 11:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Maringer

Bloody hell. Someone on that forum is saying about how horrible Grimsby is. That's coming from somebody in Newport, FFS!  

That made me smile as well. I have been to Newport and we have the misfortune of having conferences there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 134
ginnywings
May 24, 2017, 7:56am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Clearly the term "manage your expectations" has not landed looking at the posts on this thread

That's what i was thinking.

I think some fans forget that we are currently a mid table League 2 side, with an average gate of 5000, playing in a run down old stadium, stuck out in an unfashionable eastern outpost. That probably precludes 99.9% of all footballers from being targets and the ones that are left are being pursued by every other League 2 and National League side out there.

It's not all doom and gloom of course and we do have a lot going for us. Excellent fans and about as good and experienced a manager as we could hope for in this league, but we are not the massive draw some would like to think and unless you are chucking loads of money at it like Mansfield obviously are, or you are a Portsmouth of this world, some of the signings are going to have to be astute and maybe not very mouth watering. It's up to the manager to get the best out of them and produce a side capable of taking us to the next level, where we would be in a better position to acquire players of a better standard. Meanwhile, i think Slade proved last time he was here that he could attract some very good players that we hadn't really heard of. Mildenhall, Jones, Bolland, Reddy, Kalala, to name a few, are some of the best players we have had in the last 12 or 13 years.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 134
TheGoalKipper
May 24, 2017, 8:28am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from ginnywings

That's what i was thinking.

I think some fans forget that we are currently a mid table League 2 side, with an average gate of 5000, playing in a run down old stadium, stuck out in an unfashionable eastern outpost. That probably precludes 99.9% of all footballers from being targets and the ones that are left are being pursued by every other League 2 and National League side out there.

It's not all doom and gloom of course and we do have a lot going for us. Excellent fans and about as good and experienced a manager as we could hope for in this league, but we are not the massive draw some would like to think and unless you are chucking loads of money at it like Mansfield obviously are, or you are a Portsmouth of this world, some of the signings are going to have to be astute and maybe not very mouth watering. It's up to the manager to get the best out of them and produce a side capable of taking us to the next level, where we would be in a better position to acquire players of a better standard. Meanwhile, i think Slade proved last time he was here that he could attract some very good players that we hadn't really heard of. Mildenhall, Jones, Bolland, Reddy, Kalala, to name a few, are some of the best players we have had in the last 12 or 13 years.

Beat me to it. Some people talk as if we had our new stadium already and getting 10,000 crowds to feed off.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 134
Rick12
May 24, 2017, 8:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ginnywings

Thing is what we have over others is a good history which a lot of other clubs cant boast.That does count for something if say two clubs were offering a player a deal on similar contract terms.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 134
SteffiMariner
May 24, 2017, 8:44am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Rick12
Thing is what we have over others is a good history which a lot of other clubs cant boast.That does count for something if say two clubs were offering a player a deal on similar contract terms.

No it doesn't. What if they don't want to be saddled with the ridiculous expectations of some fans because 15 years ago we were a crap Championship side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 134
14 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mitch Rose

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.