Private Message
Reply: 100 - 134
oldun
May 23, 2017, 8:34am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I think RS will have sorted out his ways of playing and will add players to fit those systems where they don't already exist. No more square pegs in round holes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 134
Garth
May 23, 2017, 8:48am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Dan8859
Bit of a stretch, but I'd quite like to see Slade sign Derby's George Thorne. A useful central midfielder.

Play Mitch wide on the right, Ahkeem on the left and put Thorne in between two Roses for a change.

A prickly situation for any defence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 134
May 23, 2017, 8:50am
Guest User
I'd never heard of Bob Cumming or Baillieston Juniors when we signed him from them - but he turned out alright.

If Mitch Rose is any good (and I trust RS/PW's judgement) then he's exactly what our midfield needs.
Give the lad a chance.......

{ Thank you Wikipedia....until today it was always in my mind that we'd signed Bobby C from St. Mirren. Where did that come from......?}
Reply: 103 - 134
oldun
May 23, 2017, 8:58am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
We may never know but clearly Evans and Mitch don't get on. Released from Rotherham and immediately shipped out of Mansfield when Evans arrived.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 134
Garth
May 23, 2017, 9:02am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
My concern is not so much the player who may or may not turn out to be what we require in midfield its more a genuine concern that we are still suffering from giving out two year contracts to players who are not your Omar/ Osborne type but might be another Summerfield or dare I say it Gunning.

Maybe he would only sign a two year contract who knows, lets hope it turns out Ok for all parties
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 134
forza ivano
May 23, 2017, 9:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,126
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Poojah
Rightly or wrongly, the negativity on here is at least understandable. Most of us know relatively little about the vast majority of players at this level, so it's only natural that people go on a player's recent career history and the general sentiment of fans of his last club or two.

As a general rule, I think it's noticeable that our better signings in recent times have been either players signed from a lower division for a fee, or dropping down from a league or two above.

Players moving up - McKeown, Pearson, Hearn, Bogle, Mills, Osborne, Jones
Those who came down - Connell, Disley, Neilson, Lennie (contentious, maybe), Amond, Townsend, Andrew, Collins

That lot would make a pretty good team at the peak of their powers.

That's not to say there haven't been decent players signed from within our own division, Gowling and Magnay spring to mind, plus the odd wildcard like Nolan, but there don't seem to be as many that stand out.

It seems logical to me - if you're not shelling out a fee for up and coming talent or signing a player who is used to playing at a higher level, the likelihood is you're signing someone who hasn't been 'all that' in our own division as I suspect we lack the financial clout to be signing top performing League Two players.

All that said, Rose is young, appears to have good pedigree and I've got a lot more confidence in our existing management team not only as judges of ability, but also in their own abilities to develop players, than I had in the previous regime. Time will tell.

good point poojah - you could also add that when we were non league we tended to buy the better players in the division, even if quite a few of them didn't work out! a prime examples would be gowling, colbeck, mackreth and soares (who was generally felt to be one of the best midfielders in the division). there was also that nutty centre forward and the tallish winger who came on loan (my memory is going for names!). we knew these players and had seen them being decent so we got a bit of a lift when they arrived. seeing the new lad having been released by relegation threatened newport and who is obviously not rated by evans doesn't exactly get the hairs on the back of your neck standing up!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 134
ginnywings
May 23, 2017, 9:56am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,085
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Garth
My concern is not so much the player who may or may not turn out to be what we require in midfield its more a genuine concern that we are still suffering from giving out two year contracts to players who are not your Omar/ Osborne type but might be another Summerfield or dare I say it Gunning.

Maybe he would only sign a two year contract who knows, lets hope it turns out Ok for all parties

I would say that 2 year deals are pretty standard in league football. You can't build a side with 1 year deals as there has to be some commitment from both parties. Yeah, it's going to bite you on the bum now and again, but that's part and parcel of football, you can't always get every signing correct. You just have to trust the judgement of the manager and whatever you think of RS, he does have a lot of experience.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 134
grimsby pete
May 23, 2017, 10:07am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I have just watched the interview with Mitch,

It made me smile when asked about his famous brother

You could hear him thinking, "  here we go again "  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 134
Jarmo.Is.God
May 23, 2017, 10:40am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
As with Jon Nolan, he suited us alot more than he suited Lincoln's style of play.

same could be with Rose.

I read some Mansfield fans saying he started very good, but good pushed out when they started splashing the cash.

as for a 2 year contract, thats normal these days in football...

If Slade really wanted him, Rose might of declined a 1 year contract, because XXX offered a 2 year contract...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 134
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mitch Rose

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.