Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is this team really better than last seasons?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 220 Guests

Is this team really better than last seasons?

This thread currently has 11,139 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
August 21, 2016, 6:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from 139914
People on the dole shouldn't have the money for takeaways, alcohol, cigarettes etc.  Besides, how's the carpentry trade holding up?  

It's obvious who he sends his sawdust to. You ought to be in the Wizard of Oz
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 77
cannylad68
August 21, 2016, 8:10am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Whilst suggestions are made regarding signing new players, it's not that easy.
I would imagine that most of better players than our squad are already fixed up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 77
voiceofreason
August 21, 2016, 10:54am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +105
Quoted from Golden fox
I think a better question ; Is the gap between the conference and league 2 bigger than what most thaught ? On the evidence of Cheltenhams and our start you would have to say yes . I can't see Podge scoring more than 10 in league two this season and I think we needed (need) a better quality of goalscoring striker than him or what we have in the building . Get the right transfers in and we should be fine (Mobile CB, CM and goalscorer) , don't and it could be a difficult season . UTMM Fox

Yes we are finding it hard too at the moment. Holman and Wright have not yet scored a goal between them.

They were knocking them in for fun last season but aren't getting the time/space you get when you are playing against plasterers and postmen every other week.

Two of the three draws we have had we should have lost. Could be a long hard season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 77
diehardmariner
August 21, 2016, 11:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,600
Gold Stars: 538
It's a completely different side, even our approach to games is different.  Last season was about pummelling sides who came to shut us out, this year we're more technical and definitely more athletic.  

Would the 11 who played yesterday beat the 11 who ended last season?  Probably.  Does that mean they're automatically good enough to be at the very least comfortable in this league?  Absolutely not.  Based on a couple of cup games we seem to have developed this mentality that the gap between the Conference and League Two hasn't moved in the 6 years we were absent.   Fewer teams are jumping from the Conference into League Two and succeeding straight away, that should give us the biggest indication of the gulf in class.

Last season we were miles off winning the league, we can dress it up all we like but we were fourth best in probably the worst Conference of the six seasons we were down there.  We got it right when it mattered and put in two of our best performances of the season when it mattered (well one and a half performances).  That team, as much as I loved that team, was never ever going to rattle through League Two on momentum alone.  It needed a massive quality upgrade.  

Losing Toto created a massive hole at the back.  We lack his pace, badly.  But for all his pace he had errors in him and we're already seeing that you don't get second chances at this level.  Ollie Palmer's goal was a classic example of the difference from last season.  Pearson was outstanding all game, got his footing wrong for a second....GOAL.  No chance to recover.  Game over.  That was the only mistake the defence made all game. McKeown's error was completely out of character and I'm afraid has to go down as one of those things.

Davies and Tait are probably on par, at a push I would take Tait at the minute but I think I would prefer Davies when he's got a proper licence to go forward, i.e a holding midfielder covering him and the other fullback.  Andrew is an upgrade on Robertson/Horwood.  Quicker, strong, more attacking, better delivery with crosses.  

In midfield we've upgraded beyond belief.  McAllister, Disley, Berrett and Summerfield are the strongest midfield options we've had for god knows how long.  Last season we had Craig Clay who was a 1 in 3 player in there to break play up alongside Craig Disley who was playing the deepest role of his career.  It's no wonder we didn't score many goals.  We rectified this by bringing in Jon Nolan who, as good as he was individually, completely upset the balance of the midfield and we got dominated by really poor sides as a result.  We're winning second balls now, we're carrying the ball forward from midfield and we're actually passing forward rather than to the side all the time.

Up front - that's the concern.  Vernon, Bogle and Jackson all look like they will be good as an alternative to a front pairing.  Someone to mix it up or offer something fresh from the bench.  None of them look like strikers you want to pin your season on.  Vernon of the three should be the one to start every game because he makes it stick, the other two need someone to work of.  The concern for me is that we've got two guys who've not played played in the league before this month and are making a bit step-up and a guy who isn't a renowned goalscorer either.  

I think we'll be fine, more than fine but we need to find our feet fast.  Yesterday when we conceded the first goal we just rolled over and accepted it.  Even in the final five minutes when we should have been really chasing the game we looked flat.  If there's a soft belly it needs sorting.

I don't think the formation is helping us.  There was a big clamour to return to 4-4-2 after a limp pre-season and, in my opinion, Hurst should have ignored it.  The striker looked too isolated in pre-season so it should have been about changing things in and around the lone striker, not the whole formation.  
Players were brought in to play a 4-3-3 (or whatever variation you want to use) and we're now trying to shoehorn them into a 4-4-2.  Andrew and Davies are wing-backs.  They're not traditional full backs and they want to get forward at every opportunity.  McAllister (I think Disley could do the job too) sitting in front of the two centre backs allowed them to do that in pre-season.  Now it's a 4-4-2 they haven't got that luxury.  We've four central midfielders who I think all look excellent. But we can only play 2.  That means Berrett is shunted out wide only to cut inside all the time, whilst we've got two wingers who want to run like intercourse at their fullbacks.

Whatever formation we go with I want Hurst to go for games.  Bolinarwa and Browne have that asset that defenders hate, at whatever level you're at, pure pace.  Their pace along with that of Jackson should be what we're attacking teams with.  I thought Chambers had an excellent game yesterday but all his best work was done inside, same for Berrett.  If we're going to play 4-4-2 you've got to have wingers who are going to stretch the opposition defence.  Yesterday was exactly the same as last season, we became too narrow far too early.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 77
headingly_mariner
August 21, 2016, 12:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
It's hard to tell but we certainly miss our better players that have left and we clearly have weakness through the spine of the team at the minute. That said I thought yeasterday was the best we'd played this season barring the howlers.
Regarding the players, is it any surprise we are dipping in the bargain bin? We couldn't manage a budget to challenge for the title in the conference for 6 seasons, we were consistently a play off team with play off budget under Hurst. I would be interested to see how our budget compares to the other teams in this league. It's encouraging to see that Hurst has spent some of his budget on potential with Browne and Bolarinwa. It is always going to be a challange when you are picking the corn from the crap of relegated sides. I have every faith in Hurst to make the best of it and make us compete. People surprised at the standard and origin of the signings need to be questioning the budget. How competitive is the budget and what were the alternatives to relegated players and unknowns?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 77
jaygy
August 21, 2016, 12:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Anyone saying that Toto is a lot better than Gowling or Pearson need to look at Hartlepools highlights from last night. Granted he scuffed a goal in for himself but was unbelievably caught out for both of the goals they conceded. Even though he has so much pace he is always so slow to react which I guess is what his pace makes up for sometimes. We definitely haven't replaced him with a pacey centre back but I still have faith we can
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 77
Cloudy
August 21, 2016, 2:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from jaygy
Anyone saying that Toto is a lot better than Gowling or Pearson need to look at Hartlepools highlights from last night. Granted he scuffed a goal in for himself but was unbelievably caught out for both of the goals they conceded. Even though he has so much pace he is always so slow to react which I guess is what his pace makes up for sometimes. We definitely haven't replaced him with a pacey centre back but I still have faith we can

Reading the Hartlepool forum they all seem to think Toto is excellent but they aren't sure what Podge offers?
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 77
Rick12
August 22, 2016, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from diehardmariner

I think we'll be fine, more than fine but we need to find our feet fast.  Yesterday when we conceded the first goal we just rolled over and accepted it.  Even in the final five minutes when we should have been really chasing the game we looked flat.  If there's a soft belly it needs sorting.

Great post.

The above though concerns me.Character is a big thing in football and collectively like you have pointed out we were found wanting in this Saturday.Hurst seems to have his hands tied somewhat though as money dictates. Eg ideally you would be signing players with ability and good mentality. Hope Hurst has the character to change this hence improve players reactions when we concede in games  eg some are naturally better man managers than others.Hurst in fairness whilst not being the most passionate or vocal seems to have a calm allure and some players will respond to this better than others.For me listening to some of the other managers speak though I would prefer to sign for him as opposed to others in this league if good enough to play the game.He  even said it himself  after we got promoted with the Amond affair eg he is big on trust. Sentiments which i like

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 77
Mariner_09
August 22, 2016, 11:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Cloudy

Reading the Hartlepool forum they all seem to think Toto is excellent but they aren't sure what Podge offers?

That's because Toto's a quality player and Podge is a Conference player at the end of the day.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 77
headingly_mariner
August 22, 2016, 12:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Mariner_09

That's because Toto's a quality player and Podge is a Conference player at the end of the day.

I'd be much happier seeing padraig Amond on the end of Ben Davies wicked delivery than anyone we have in the squad now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is this team really better than last seasons?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.