Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is this team really better than last seasons?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 120 Guests

Is this team really better than last seasons?

This thread currently has 11,105 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
11MARINER11
August 24, 2016, 5:29am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -55
Not yet !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 77
MuddyWaters
August 24, 2016, 6:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,170
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Rhys_Mariners
i have said this before you can NOT replace team spirit, team spirit will overcome ability time and time again. The squad last year wanted to fight for each other week in week out and i am not seeing that from this current bunch.

Not sure that a team with so much Conference quality had that much team spirit week in, week out. They only finished a moderate 4th.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 77
BrickTop
August 24, 2016, 7:40am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +231
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not sure that a team with so much Conference quality had that much team spirit week in, week out. They only finished a moderate 4th.

Exactly. The same 'team spirit' last season that most people on here thought had no chance of promotion even up until half time in the play off leg. We need to give this new team time to build team spirit and gel. It certainly isn't going to happen after 5 games.
UTM

"You take sugar?"
"No thank you turkish, I'm sweet enough"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 77
ClarkyGTFC
August 24, 2016, 10:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +411
Gold Stars: 5
We will know better when we play Cheltenham as they are largely unchanged from last season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 77
totalidiot
August 24, 2016, 10:40pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +341
Obviously couldn't happen but if the two sides played each other then i think last seasons side would win,helped by a better central defence with the pace of n'siala,nolan in midfield would be all over this midfield we have at present, and a natural finisher in amond who in turn helping to bring the best out of bogle.

Having said that this seasons squad look technically better players and given time should come good as long as they are played in their natural positions and given support by us the fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 77
Mendonca1995
August 24, 2016, 11:01pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
I think another priority is to get in a keeper who can push macca having a reserve goalkeeper trainer/coach on the bench etc is no good for him at the moment,Macca automatically knows he will be starting every game and has lately been off the boil with a few mistakes great guy and keeper but in this league you have to be at the top of your game and currently he isn't as most would agree Keeper striker and quick centre half will hopefully come in this week to give the team a final push into the top half of the table and hopefully get a good run going UTM !!!

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 77
Sdimbo
August 25, 2016, 12:26pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +3
Individuals yes team not yet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 77
Mrbusdriver
August 25, 2016, 7:28pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +70
Quoted from diehardmariner
It's a completely different side, even our approach to games is different.  Last season was about pummelling sides who came to shut us out, this year we're more technical and definitely more athletic.  

Would the 11 who played yesterday beat the 11 who ended last season?  Probably.  Does that mean they're automatically good enough to be at the very least comfortable in this league?  Absolutely not.  Based on a couple of cup games we seem to have developed this mentality that the gap between the Conference and League Two hasn't moved in the 6 years we were absent.   Fewer teams are jumping from the Conference into League Two and succeeding straight away, that should give us the biggest indication of the gulf in class.

Last season we were miles off winning the league, we can dress it up all we like but we were fourth best in probably the worst Conference of the six seasons we were down there.  We got it right when it mattered and put in two of our best performances of the season when it mattered (well one and a half performances).  That team, as much as I loved that team, was never ever going to rattle through League Two on momentum alone.  It needed a massive quality upgrade.  

Losing Toto created a massive hole at the back.  We lack his pace, badly.  But for all his pace he had errors in him and we're already seeing that you don't get second chances at this level.  Ollie Palmer's goal was a classic example of the difference from last season.  Pearson was outstanding all game, got his footing wrong for a second....GOAL.  No chance to recover.  Game over.  That was the only mistake the defence made all game. McKeown's error was completely out of character and I'm afraid has to go down as one of those things.

Davies and Tait are probably on par, at a push I would take Tait at the minute but I think I would prefer Davies when he's got a proper licence to go forward, i.e a holding midfielder covering him and the other fullback.  Andrew is an upgrade on Robertson/Horwood.  Quicker, strong, more attacking, better delivery with crosses.  

In midfield we've upgraded beyond belief.  McAllister, Disley, Berrett and Summerfield are the strongest midfield options we've had for god knows how long.  Last season we had Craig Clay who was a 1 in 3 player in there to break play up alongside Craig Disley who was playing the deepest role of his career.  It's no wonder we didn't score many goals.  We rectified this by bringing in Jon Nolan who, as good as he was individually, completely upset the balance of the midfield and we got dominated by really poor sides as a result.  We're winning second balls now, we're carrying the ball forward from midfield and we're actually passing forward rather than to the side all the time.

Up front - that's the concern.  Vernon, Bogle and Jackson all look like they will be good as an alternative to a front pairing.  Someone to mix it up or offer something fresh from the bench.  None of them look like strikers you want to pin your season on.  Vernon of the three should be the one to start every game because he makes it stick, the other two need someone to work of.  The concern for me is that we've got two guys who've not played played in the league before this month and are making a bit step-up and a guy who isn't a renowned goalscorer either.  

I think we'll be fine, more than fine but we need to find our feet fast.  Yesterday when we conceded the first goal we just rolled over and accepted it.  Even in the final five minutes when we should have been really chasing the game we looked flat.  If there's a soft belly it needs sorting.

I don't think the formation is helping us.  There was a big clamour to return to 4-4-2 after a limp pre-season and, in my opinion, Hurst should have ignored it.  The striker looked too isolated in pre-season so it should have been about changing things in and around the lone striker, not the whole formation.  
Players were brought in to play a 4-3-3 (or whatever variation you want to use) and we're now trying to shoehorn them into a 4-4-2.  Andrew and Davies are wing-backs.  They're not traditional full backs and they want to get forward at every opportunity.  McAllister (I think Disley could do the job too) sitting in front of the two centre backs allowed them to do that in pre-season.  Now it's a 4-4-2 they haven't got that luxury.  We've four central midfielders who I think all look excellent. But we can only play 2.  That means Berrett is shunted out wide only to cut inside all the time, whilst we've got two wingers who want to run like intercourse at their fullbacks.

Whatever formation we go with I want Hurst to go for games.  Bolinarwa and Browne have that asset that defenders hate, at whatever level you're at, pure pace.  Their pace along with that of Jackson should be what we're attacking teams with.  I thought Chambers had an excellent game yesterday but all his best work was done inside, same for Berrett.  If we're going to play 4-4-2 you've got to have wingers who are going to stretch the opposition defence.  Yesterday was exactly the same as last season, we became too narrow far too early.

This*****

Great read....

[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_3629.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_5619.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_18128.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://avatars.jurko.net/uploads/avatar_22656.gif[/img][/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is this team really better than last seasons?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.