Mariner Ronnie
March 29, 2016, 1:02pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
The standard of threads on the fishy when we lose are starting to go from bad to worse!

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 86
chaos33
March 29, 2016, 1:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,982
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't care what happened to the money. I gave it to the club in the hope that it would give us a very slight edge in a title race, but it looks like that is not going to happen now. I now hope that it turns out to be the pivotal element that got us promoted via the play offs. If we are still down here next season, then it's still a good thing that we did and i would do it again. It may still come to fruition yet but if it doesn't, you can't then complain and ask for your money back. There were no guarantees.

Yep. Agree with this and suspect most think the same.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 86
MuddyWaters
March 29, 2016, 1:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Can't help but think that a bit of transparency wouldn't go amiss, particularly if the Trust decides to do it over again.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 86
Rodley Mariner
March 29, 2016, 1:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
There was a consensus when this was happening that it would just be absorbed into the budget and not identified as being spent on a particular player so as not to add pressure onto that player and to not make it a straight success or failure depending on how one or two players fared.

I'm with Ginny and Chaos - I gave and I'd give again and I don't expect anybody to justify to me how the money was spent. It'll be a real shame if what was a great effort and achievement becomes something to beat the club and the Trust with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 86
Davec
March 29, 2016, 1:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
I gave my donation with the understanding it would be spent on help the club achieve promotion, aslong as it's spent on that I don't mind how, for example I don't mind it being spent on improving the training facilities but I would mind if it's been spent on painting the white lines or something, but I'm sure that isn't the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 86
Garth
March 29, 2016, 1:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
There was a consensus when this was happening that it would just be absorbed into the budget and not identified as being spent on a particular player so as not to add pressure onto that player and to not make it a straight success or failure depending on how one or two players fared.

I'm with Ginny and Chaos - I gave and I'd give again and I don't expect anybody to justify to me how the money was spent. It'll be a real shame if what was a great effort and achievement becomes something to beat the club and the Trust with.

WHS I have a feeling that those who gave the least, are the ones who shout the most
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 86
ackomariner
March 29, 2016, 2:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Garth

[/b]

WHS I have a feeling that those who gave the least, are the ones who shout the most

Doesn't matter does it?

All depends on how much you can afford tbh. If someone gave 50p, it's 50p more the club didn't have

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 86
GrimRob
March 29, 2016, 2:52pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,436
Gold Stars: 113
It's a budget boost. Trying to pinpoint where it went is meaningless, other by comparing this year's budget with last year's. It's like trying to work out what proportion of your taxes going on the NHS or on bombing Syria.

Having said that I'd rather have had a smaller squad of more highly paid players and forgotten about the FA Trophy. It seems some of our budget was spent on a large squad to fight on two fronts. Although we get money for getting to the FAT final I suspect we've also spent money on "lesser" players to help get us there.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 47 - 86
MuddyWaters
March 29, 2016, 5:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from GrimRob
It's a budget boost. Trying to pinpoint where it went is meaningless, other by comparing this year's budget with last year's. It's like trying to work out what proportion of your taxes going on the NHS or on bombing Syria.

Having said that I'd rather have had a smaller squad of more highly paid players and forgotten about the FA Trophy. It seems some of our budget was spent on a large squad to fight on two fronts. Although we get money for getting to the FAT final I suspect we've also spent money on "lesser" players to help get us there.

I agree Rob. I would be most pissedoff if we've spent O P money on benchwarmers for the Trophy.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 86
HertsGTFC
March 29, 2016, 6:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GrimRob

In principle I would agree but I think the squad is not possibly as big as what we feel it is, remember a few weeks ago the 16 in the squad for a couple of league games where the last 16 due to injuries and waiting for the transfer window to close.

I think a couple less with a bigger bonus scheme for promotion would be worth considering, remember the players do this to pay their mortgages etc....  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 100k

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.