No Members and 90 Guests

Joining the dots

This thread currently has 4,071 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
October 4, 2011, 8:13pm
Guest User
Let's recap for a sec.

-- GTST will not "be seeking a place on the board of the Football Club in the immediate future"
when one of their objectives is clearly stated as:

"v. to encourage and promote the principle of supporter representation on the board of
any company owning or controlling the Club and ultimately to be the vehicle for
democratic elections to the board;"

Why ?
I'd guess it's because of the terms of acceptance to the board to protect the club's financial future ?
Let's presume so for a moment...

Add to this:

-- Fenty resigned because of majority shareholding remaining outside the boardroom (also true 6 months ago when Parker resigned but forget that ! )
-- MP has now scaled back his shareholding.
-- Majority shareholding STILL remains outside the boardroom.

So if GTST got a place on the board then what would happen ?
Yep, Fenty would have no reason not to be chair anymore would he ?

So in light of all that, what do you thinks gonna happen next ?

Hint:

"Whilst GTST will not be seeking a place on the board of the football club in the immediate future, the acquisition of these shares provides a golden opportunity for GTFC supporters to have a more meaningful influence on the future of Grimsby Town Football Club."

Any guesses ?  
siy2k5
October 4, 2011, 8:20pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
Colonel Mustard in the kitchen with a soggy dog?

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 43
80sglory
October 4, 2011, 8:24pm
Guest User
Close !  

Here's another hint:

"We look forward to a long and productive working relationship with the football club, but would also echo the sentiments of the club's chief executive Ian Fleming in appealing for investment from anyone with the resources to help take the club forward."
Reply: 2 - 43
80sglory
October 4, 2011, 9:31pm
Guest User
No-one worked it out yet ?

Oh well, I guess you'll find out soon.
Reply: 3 - 43
Informer the real one
October 4, 2011, 10:37pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / -2
80s joining the dots that's a laugh.  

Flash to bang what a wally!!!!!!

i TRUST in cod
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 43
upthestripes
October 4, 2011, 11:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from 1600
No-one worked it out yet ?

Oh well, I guess you'll find out soon.

Why do you have to post a riddle 80s, why not just say?
Personally I'm finding this whole thing confusing enough as it is!

I think  you either mean Fenty is coming back or that the fans will be running the club in the future? But I don't know.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 43
petethemariner
October 4, 2011, 11:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
I HATE being the harbinger of doom, but i really do fear for our future now, i have supported this
club for 4+ decades,  many good times, many bad, but NEVER with the prospect of extinction on
the horizon - i suppose its a combination of  our clubs 2 ego  money men, the economic climate, unemployment, of which unfortunately i am now one  and  the pathetically low pay  in this region that
risks our great clubs future.
Rabbits out  of hats are needed now!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 43
80sglory
October 5, 2011, 1:05am
Guest User
Quoted from upthestripes
Why do you have to post a riddle 80s, why not just say?
Personally I'm finding this whole thing confusing enough as it is!

Just thought it might be fun but as pete says it's no laughing matter....

Ok then I'll tell you what I think it all ultimately means - I might be wrong but I'll take a risk.

I think those statements from GTST are a pretext to asking the fans to raise the money to give them a seat on the board and finance the club in the process - hence "not in the immediate future"...

Then if they achieve a seat on the board, majority shareholding will no longer be outside the boardroom, and Fenty will return as chair.

Notice how everyone is saying how fans have a chance to have a voice but they haven't actually said how it will be achieved ?
That's the next part IMO.

"Ian Fleming in appealing for investment from anyone with the resources to help take the club forward."

Anyone being the fans.

"Whilst GTST will not be seeking a place on the board of the football club in the immediate future, the acquisition of these shares provides a golden opportunity for GTFC supporters to have a more meaningful influence on the future of Grimsby Town Football Club."

Golden opportunity = fans get a say if they cough up the money.

If I'm totally wrong then I'd like to know why receiving all those shares means anything else than diddly squat to GTST achieving their long term objectives.
Reply: 7 - 43
BIGChris
October 5, 2011, 10:44am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from petethemariner
I HATE being the harbinger of doom, but i really do fear for our future now, i have supported this
club for 4+ decades,  many good times, many bad, but NEVER with the prospect of extinction on
the horizon - i suppose its a combination of  our clubs 2 ego  money men, the economic climate, unemployment, of which unfortunately i am now one  and  the pathetically low pay  in this region that
risks our great clubs future.
Rabbits out  of hats are needed now!

These are clearly worrying times, I am sure nobody thinks anything other. You also make good points about the ecconomic climate and the local ecconomy too.

my own view is that there isnt quite the agenda of intrigue and double dealing that some are getting off on. Clearly the two major players in this have, to some, degree had a difference of opinion. What their current stances are is unknown and i try to avoid the mystic Meg approach.

In respect of the Trust, i see this as an opportunity. An opportunity to galvenise the significant support the club has arounf the Town, area, country and overseas. Ultimately it probably will/should become a fund raising machine but initially at least i think they need to reach out for every Town fan in the world to get their support. They need to be driven by their memebers, not the personal views of the Trust board members. These may or may not be the same thing. People need to see the Trust as an INclusive club open to all.

I am led to believe the current Trust membership has dwindled to 200 or therabouts. Is 2000+ a reasonable target? More? Is the membership fee an issue? £15 a year doesnt seem prohibitive.

With a 2000 membership is a donation of £5 a month feasible? Is that enough to make a difference? Is it enough to make a JF or MP re-consider the position re on going funding?

At present there are more questions than answers but I do think this is a genuine opportunity to make GTFC, a community club if not a totally community owned club
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 43
sonik
October 5, 2011, 11:21am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from BIGChris

These are clearly worrying times, I am sure nobody thinks anything other. You also make good points about the ecconomic climate and the local ecconomy too.

my own view is that there isnt quite the agenda of intrigue and double dealing that some are getting off on. Clearly the two major players in this have, to some, degree had a difference of opinion. What their current stances are is unknown and i try to avoid the mystic Meg approach.

In respect of the Trust, i see this as an opportunity. An opportunity to galvenise the significant support the club has arounf the Town, area, country and overseas. Ultimately it probably will/should become a fund raising machine but initially at least i think they need to reach out for every Town fan in the world to get their support. They need to be driven by their memebers, not the personal views of the Trust board members. These may or may not be the same thing. People need to see the Trust as an INclusive club open to all.

I am led to believe the current Trust membership has dwindled to 200 or therabouts. Is 2000+ a reasonable target? More? Is the membership fee an issue? £15 a year doesnt seem prohibitive.

With a 2000 membership is a donation of £5 a month feasible? Is that enough to make a difference? Is it enough to make a JF or MP re-consider the position re on going funding?

At present there are more questions than answers but I do think this is a genuine opportunity to make GTFC, a community club if not a totally community owned club

I fully agree with you here Chris.  This may be the last chance saloon to really make a difference.  Please join it and stop knocking it I would say.  As I've seen on other posts recently the Club is up for sale and we don't see any takers to date. Very worrying times if this stagnates in the coming days, weeks, months.

UTM!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 43
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Joining the dots

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.