rancido
September 25, 2011, 11:29am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from Maringer

I disagree with you here. They certainly started the second half more brightly but, for me, it was less of a case of them pushing us back and more the fact that we weren't working hard enough. They may have passed the ball around well enough before their second goal, but we had 3 or 4 players nearby and not a single one of them was trying to close down or block the shot. We dominated their diminutive midfield during much of the first half by dint of plenty of running and hard work and just didn't continue this effort in the second half. In fact, the second goal was a good shot, but the defending for the third was, frankly, pathetic. The defenders themselves weren't too much at fault, but the midfield didn't bother to follow their runners, something that has been all too common this season.

I agree with most that the turning-point of the match was Disley's miss. Well, I say 'miss', but to miss you actually have to shoot in the first place. He was clean through, yet dithered ridiculously and failed to get close to having a shot with just the keeper to beat. An unforgivable 'miss' for an experienced player who is club captain.

Poor old Serge had one of those games where he could have played all day without doing much right. He fared a little better in the second half (after he had changed into sensible boots), but I'd like to know why he (and most of his teammates) never seem to put a proper bloody cross in even when they are past the last defender! Must have had a dozen occasions today where we failed to cross the ball when in a good position.

Elding did OK in the first half (looked offside for his 'goal' to me), but disappeared in the second. Disley did OK up until his 'miss', but fell to pieces after that. Hearn looks a threat but needs more support and is is frustrating that he has to keep moving out wide to pick up the ball.

Not wanting to be controversial, but McKeown seems to be considered a good keeper by most. However, though his kicking is good and he generally deals with crosses reasonably well, how many saves do you actually see him make? Their first goal may have been a free header, but the ball still looped (quite slowly) over McKeown's head and he was only stood about a yard off the line! Similarly, their second goal went in quite easily. Not sure if he had a chance with that one, however. He just seemed slow getting down towards the shot.

The big problem as I see it is that the team is completely lacking in 'leaders' - players who can lift their teammates when things are going badly. Other than a few shouters in defence, the midfield are as quiet as dormice. Disley is just not captain material for me. Unfortunately, neither are any of our other players, as far as I can tell. A distinct lack of balls on show today.

For me, Wrexham were OK, nothing much more. Their forwards weren't up to much, yet we still conceded three goals. Their defence looked very shaky, yet we only scored once. Reasonable players in midfield but they showed they could be bullied (as we did in the first half).

Just goes to show you don't need to be that good to do well in this division. You just need to be competent and consistent.

I don't get this sympathy for Makofo. The guy is absolute dunnage . He doesn't have a footballing brain ,never looks up for support ,can't cross and thinks he can run through defenders. I lost count the number of times yesterday when he had the option of playing a square ball to a supporting mid-fielder and running into space but chose to try to beat three defenders and inevitably lost the ball. He maybe usefull as an impact player later in the game ( although I doubt it ) but for me I would never ever have him in the starting line-up . The fact that he was made available for transfer at the end of last season and nobody came for him in the summer sums up his ability to me.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 80
lee65
September 25, 2011, 12:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
He wins a lot of free kicks though, which should lead to more if we had any invention, or decent dead ball takers (this doesn't mean I disagree with most of the above)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 80
Super Clive
September 25, 2011, 2:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Connell takes a mean free kick and corner, shame
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 80
Maringer
September 25, 2011, 2:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from rancido

I don't get this sympathy for Makofo. The guy is absolute dunnage . He doesn't have a footballing brain ,never looks up for support ,can't cross and thinks he can run through defenders. I lost count the number of times yesterday when he had the option of playing a square ball to a supporting mid-fielder and running into space but chose to try to beat three defenders and inevitably lost the ball. He maybe usefull as an impact player later in the game ( although I doubt it ) but for me I would never ever have him in the starting line-up . The fact that he was made available for transfer at the end of last season and nobody came for him in the summer sums up his ability to me.

The fact that he gives his all is probably a bonus for me as we've had too many players in recent years who can't be arsed to put the effort in. As others have mentioned, he wins lots of free-kicks and corners through his efforts and he does offer some much-needed pace to our generally slow team. Just a pity we never do anything with the set pieces!

During the first half-dozen or so games of the season, Makofo was one of our best players (not saying much, perhaps) but he was, indeed, hopeless yesterday. I just wish the managers would tell him to cross the ball whenever he beats his full-back. It's all very well trying to play the ball inside but crosses stretch defences and give you the opportunity to pick up the clearances. At this level, you are going to score more goals from forcing the opposition into mistakes rather than good football - Disley's wasted opportunity a case in point yesterday as our pressure on the ball forced an error to give him the chance which was pathetically fluffed.

I'm undecided whether or not Serge should be used as a 'super' sub. Eagle certainly seems to have been playing decently since coming back into the team but Coulson's form this season has been garbage, honestly, so I'm not sure dropping Makofo out of the team will be an improvement. This assumes he plays rather better than he did yesterday, of course, as this was his worst performance for us by a mile!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 80
lee65
September 25, 2011, 2:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Super Clive
Connell takes a mean free kick and corner, shame

There was a couple of times yesterday when we won kicks within shooting range I was actually fondly remembering Darren Barnard!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 80
rancido
September 25, 2011, 4:47pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from Maringer

The fact that he gives his all is probably a bonus for me as we've had too many players in recent years who can't be arsed to put the effort in. As others have mentioned, he wins lots of free-kicks and corners through his efforts and he does offer some much-needed pace to our generally slow team. Just a pity we never do anything with the set pieces!

During the first half-dozen or so games of the season, Makofo was one of our best players (not saying much, perhaps) but he was, indeed, hopeless yesterday. I just wish the managers would tell him to cross the ball whenever he beats his full-back. It's all very well trying to play the ball inside but crosses stretch defences and give you the opportunity to pick up the clearances. At this level, you are going to score more goals from forcing the opposition into mistakes rather than good football - Disley's wasted opportunity a case in point yesterday as our pressure on the ball forced an error to give him the chance which was pathetically fluffed.

I'm undecided whether or not Serge should be used as a 'super' sub. Eagle certainly seems to have been playing decently since coming back into the team but Coulson's form this season has been garbage, honestly, so I'm not sure dropping Makofo out of the team will be an improvement. This assumes he plays rather better than he did yesterday, of course, as this was his worst performance for us by a mile!

They probably do - they surely see what we do BUT getting Makofo to listen is perhaps a different matter ! The facts are that maybe Makofo does stretch defenders but he never capitalises on this which , to me anyway , questions his ability to think like a footballer.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 80
psgmariner
September 25, 2011, 5:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Just back - lost to the better team and we looked a long way short of a playoff team

Thought Hearn was excellent again and very pleased he is off the mark other than that it was 5 and 6 out 10s all round.

Private Message
Reply: 76 - 80
Tommy
September 25, 2011, 6:12pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Bit late posting on this so apologies if I'm saying what's already been said.

I thought first half we were the better side and deserved to go in at half time ahead. A big factor in this was Church IMO. He was quicker to push out to their midfielders and close them down than any central midfielder we've had in the last 4/5 years since Bolland. He picked up a lot of loose balls and was first to more 2nd balls than any of our current midfielders are capable of getting to.

I thought most if not all of our good play and chances created came from Eagle down the right, normally feeding Hearn. Thought Disley did well in the first half too and showed several flashes of his class.

I've not heard the post match interviews but was interested to read on this thread about H or S saying Makofo didn't take advantage of his marker being on a yellow card from quite early in the game. This is spot on. That right back was absolute junk as well. Makofo just had to keep getting the ball and running at him. The problem is, as we all know, Makofo has no football brain whatsoever and you can tell he has no idea what he's going to do with the ball as he runs up towards the full back. Serge did nothing today, a few runs that looked positive but no end product to any of them, or anything he did. Shouldn't start the next match.

Sloppy goal to concede but great finish by Hearn to get us deservedly level.

Second half - I said to my mate after 5 minutes of the 2nd half that you could tell Wrexham had stepped it up a bit. The three lads in the middle for Wrexham started to get hold of the ball and pass it. And one of their goals (the 3rd I think) was a top class team goal with the passing and movement.

We were still well in the game until they got the third goal which killed us off really. That said, Disley should have scored after Hearn put him through - should have hit it first time. And Church should have done better with his 'pass' from ten yards into the bodies on the line - should have toe-poked it if he was confident swinging the left foot at it.

We can take a few things from the game though. First half we were very good. Hearn off the mark with a cracking finish. Church's first half performance will stretch to 90minute performances as he gets match fitness up over the next few weeks.

Going forward - I'd start Eagle and Coulson on the flanks on Tuesday. Church and Disley to carry on in the middle. Bring Duffy back in to partner Hearn up front. Elding doesn't have any confidence at the minute and isn't having the best time. Although I wish people wouldn't give him so much stick, look at his goalscoring record in this league and the one above you fools he can score plenty of goals. Don't crucify him for not settling into a new team in the first 2 months.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 80
pseudonym
September 25, 2011, 7:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from Tommy
Bit late posting on this so apologies if I'm saying what's already been said.

I thought first half we were the better side and deserved to go in at half time ahead. A big factor in this was Church IMO. He was quicker to push out to their midfielders and close them down than any central midfielder we've had in the last 4/5 years since Bolland. He picked up a lot of loose balls and was first to more 2nd balls than any of our current midfielders are capable of getting to.

I thought most if not all of our good play and chances created came from Eagle down the right, normally feeding Hearn. Thought Disley did well in the first half too and showed several flashes of his class.

I've not heard the post match interviews but was interested to read on this thread about H or S saying Makofo didn't take advantage of his marker being on a yellow card from quite early in the game. This is spot on. That right back was absolute junk as well. Makofo just had to keep getting the ball and running at him. The problem is, as we all know, Makofo has no football brain whatsoever and you can tell he has no idea what he's going to do with the ball as he runs up towards the full back. Serge did nothing today, a few runs that looked positive but no end product to any of them, or anything he did. Shouldn't start the next match.

Sloppy goal to concede but great finish by Hearn to get us deservedly level.

Second half - I said to my mate after 5 minutes of the 2nd half that you could tell Wrexham had stepped it up a bit. The three lads in the middle for Wrexham started to get hold of the ball and pass it. And one of their goals (the 3rd I think) was a top class team goal with the passing and movement.

We were still well in the game until they got the third goal which killed us off really. That said, Disley should have scored after Hearn put him through - should have hit it first time. And Church should have done better with his 'pass' from ten yards into the bodies on the line - should have toe-poked it if he was confident swinging the left foot at it.

We can take a few things from the game though. First half we were very good. Hearn off the mark with a cracking finish. Church's first half performance will stretch to 90minute performances as he gets match fitness up over the next few weeks.

Going forward - I'd start Eagle and Coulson on the flanks on Tuesday. Church and Disley to carry on in the middle. Bring Duffy back in to partner Hearn up front. Elding doesn't have any confidence at the minute and isn't having the best time. Although I wish people wouldn't give him so much stick, look at his goalscoring record in this league and the one above you fools he can score plenty of goals. Don't crucify him for not settling into a new team in the first 2 months.
Agree completely with you

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 80
80sglory
September 25, 2011, 10:58pm
Guest User
Me too - another superb post !

Quoted from Tommy
Church's first half performance will stretch to 90minute performances as he gets match fitness up over the next few weeks.

Yeah I did wonder after so much work if he was tiring a bit 2nd half - like you think he did a great job and gave 110%.
I just hope he can do the same game in game out cos he will make a big difference.

Quoted from Tommy
Thought Disley did well in the first half too and showed several flashes of his class.

Know what you mean.
Only criticism 2nd half Disley seemed to dither a bit on the ball a bit too much for me. (not just his chance)

Despite that great saving tackle he did, he can look so dangerous playing these through balls that I'd like to see him pushing forward than sitting too deep.
Reply: 79 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.