9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 25, 2011, 12:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
Yeah, you're right about opinions - I didn't think we played that well between 45 and 60 minutes!

Their second goal was a good shot - well-hit and well-placed, but nobody was closing them down at the time as we'd conceded the initiative by this point. Their third goal was just dreadful defending from our team. Nobody followed the runners.

As so typical for much of this season, we had enough chances to comfortably score a few goals but only scored once. They, on the other hand, scored from practically every good chance they had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 80
somersetmariner
September 25, 2011, 1:48am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
Makofo - I'm going to be kind to him and say he was absoloutely diabolical. The guy has no brain and gets away with it in games because he'll do a few decent runs and get the odd cross in. Today he failed to do either, so many times he lost the ball. He NEVER seems to make the right decison, really does have the brain of a fish. 5/10

I loved that!!  

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 80
80sglory
September 25, 2011, 3:24am
Guest User
Quoted from gtfc71

But the facts don't back you or Liam up 80s. When he said today 'we proved we can beat any one in this league' he was wrong. We lost.

We have played the top 4 - and not got a single point.

In fact, the league gives you a very strong guide as to how we will fare against any opposition. The highest team we have beaten is Cambridge Utd in 9th. The lowest we have lost to is Stockport in 14th.

When have facts, league tables or statistics ever been any gauge for the future with GTFC ?
Fact said we beat Crawley 1-0 and Luton 2-0 but we still ended up miles behind them !  
Statistics are so misleading that to fit any theories around them is pure and utter folly IMO.

Personally, I feel S&H are slowly building something of potential here (hopefully they will have time).
So far I have no reason to think they won't eventually get it right - recently I've seen a lot more to fel encouraged about than not.
That's a hell of a lot more than I could say about Woods after 4 points from 6 ! (as I pointed to at the time)

It's about performances and improvement, not results.
Reply: 62 - 80
ponnyfan
September 25, 2011, 8:02am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
Quoted from somersetmariner
Makofo - I'm going to be kind to him and say he was absoloutely diabolical. The guy has no brain and gets away with it in games because he'll do a few decent runs and get the odd cross in. Today he failed to do either, so many times he lost the ball. He NEVER seems to make the right decison, really does have the brain of a fish. 5/10

I loved that!!  
If I was a betting man, I would say he was related to Atko Akpro, lots of heart and flair but no end product  

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 80
Havelock the Dane
September 25, 2011, 8:07am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -5
I thought we were much better than Wrexham in most departments but they had something we didn't - killer instinct. I can only remember them having 4 chances in the game and they scored with 3. We had loads more chances but with Church side-footing it from a yard out, Disley deciding not to shoot with a goal gaping in front of him and the keeper being allowed to make a couple of good saves, we ended up losing a game we often dominated.
Though their no 7 was very good. the kind of player we haven't had for years. Energetic, positive, skilful and made good decisions. I'm not a football anorak so can't be bothered to look up his name.

Perhaps if Eagle or Coulson were ever allowed to play in their natural positions they may create a little more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 80
Maringer
September 25, 2011, 9:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Havelock the Dane

Though their no 7 was very good. the kind of player we haven't had for years. Energetic, positive, skilful and made good decisions. I'm not a football anorak so can't be bothered to look up his name.

I think he had some sort of eastern European-sounding name. Can't be bothered to look it up, either.  

He was kept pretty quiet by Ridley in the first half but, second half, he started dropping deeper and moving inside to pick up the ball and made a right nuisance of himself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 80
ross1cod
September 25, 2011, 9:33am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -1
first time i have been to the park in a while, must say i was pleased until their 2nd, although we wasnt the better side i had a feeling we could have come away with something, but after they scored the 2nd we seemed to drop off, heads went down etc, and they just passed us of the park..

we lack in every department, and on yesterdays evidence no-way will we make the play offs. Makofo?????????????? whats that all about, great play one second urine poor the next, he lost the ball when he should have kept it, and kept it when he should have lost it, very frustrating player. there are a few who need a good kick up the bottom, abit like the last 4-5 seasons, but there are slight signs of improvment from some of the players, but we may not have enough time to re-build properly, it should have happened last season instead of "going all out" for promotion.

came away disappointed with the performance but not the result... Mr bet fred gave me 20/1 for a 3-1 away win
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 80
marinette
September 25, 2011, 9:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Tentative MOM for me: Bradley Wood.  Got stuck in as always, didn't think the booking should have been a booking, and have noticed (Tuesday as well as yesterday) that he is getting more balls to his team-mates, which is always a bonus.  The Hurst interview has put some doubts in my mind about Brad's defensive performance, however.   Hurst said that Ridley was not to blame for any of the goals, as none of them came down his side.  Whether Bradley is implicated by this, I'm not sure.  Anyway, if our players are allowed to be tentative in front of goal, then I'm allowed to be tentative about my MOM.

Serge was frightening their players early on, resulting in one of them getting booked.  He was doing all right.  But, as Hursty said, Serge didn't capitalise and make the most of his opponent's  booking.  I did think I saw him diving several times, or trying to make a meal out of what were petty little fouls.  Didn't like to see it and it didn't work, if getting the other player sent off was the intention.

I don't think Church and Disley in midfield are too bad - we've certainly had worse.  I'd like to see them be a little more dominant, but there's potential for improvement, if the situation with the club gives them time for that.

My friend always has kittens about James McKeown's positioning, thinking that he stands too far forward for much of the game.  The worry is that if the opposition gains possession unexpectedly it would be an easy matter to loop it over his head.  Doesn't really bother me, though.  (I like to live dangerously   )

Don't like Eagle on the right.  He had a great opportunity for a shot on Tuesday night, but fluffed it horribly with his right foot and he just doesn't look comfortable there.  

Individually (with one or two exceptions) I don't think the players are too bad, but I don't yet have confidence in them as a team.  They do have spells when they seem to be battling and working together, but at other times they just look fragile and a bit disjointed.  There is potential for improvement, but we had that last season and it was thrown away and a whole new clearout was deemed necessary - for me, that was very damaging, and I agree with Headingley when he says we're slightly worse now as a result.  But anyway, onwards and hopefully upwards - we've just got to stick with it and hope that we still have a club at the end of the season.

Private Message
Reply: 67 - 80
Garth
September 25, 2011, 10:08am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from ponnyfan
Elding showed a total lack of skill and talent today and it showed, particularly in the second half.He should have been subbed for Duffy long before he actually was.

That my friend was obvious to every man and his dog, apart from the managers,  too little too late
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 80
FishOutOfWater
September 25, 2011, 11:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from ginnywings

Adios amigo.

I'm sure watching Spanish top flight footy in the sunshine will be a lot harder than watching our beloved Mariners.

From what I found out from trips to that area it won't be much different in the winter on the north facing Biscay coast to what we endure in GY on the east facing
North Sea coast. It can be pretty cold in the winter so I wouldn't think you can expect too much weather wise

On the footballing front it might be a different matter with Santander but who knows, Town could surprise us all because it is still only September after all and there are some signs that the team are starting to play as a unit and not just a bunch of individuals (apart from Serge of course    )

If we're still 17th in say February I'll reconsider but for now there's a long way to go before this league gets in to some sort of order....Braintree and Gateshead still being close to the top for example. I don't think that will last for the whole season

Anyway hasta la vista Matty....
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 69 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.