9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
headingly_mariner
September 24, 2011, 7:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
I thought eagle was the only one today who looked to link the midfield with the attack and defence today as he is often available to feet and regularly looks towards the strikers feet, his put plenty of crosses into good areas we just had no one attacking them.

I think town are very long ball and were undone by another better team today, they kept the ball nice and took the goals well, we cant defend and we have no plan b after the hoof doesn't work. You cant fault town for effort but they are just not good enough and lacking in any real quality, i find it hard to see us troubling the top half of the table this season and i feel like we have taken a backwards step from last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 80
Super Clive
September 24, 2011, 7:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from aaron rattray
i sat in N79 in the mainstand, 1st half we looked good i thought. 1st goal good corner nobody jumped at all and the person on the line didnt make much attempt to stop the ball from entering the net, elding was onside in my opionon, 2nd goal a good pass by disley to find him and a good finish with the outsdie of his boot, i dont think connell would of scored that, their 2nd goal, wood could of done better, so could of disley to hit it out, and when the player who scored went forward nobody went too him, their 3rd goal was just a catalouge of errors, kempson pearson wood church disley and ridley just stood there all in a great big bundle and he just hit in, and how the intercourse didnt we score in that scramble? instead of blasting in the shot church just tapped it, and makofo couldnt control a player on fifa let alone the football. who agrees?

I do.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 80
80sglory
September 24, 2011, 7:37pm
Guest User
Quoted from Codswede
Just a quick analysis, Eagle on the ball wasn't brilliant, but his delivery from set pieces was worth having him on the pitch for! We looked dangerous at every free-kick and corner. Elding is an absolute weak link up front (although Fluffy Duffy aint much better) he doesn't win the ball, and doesn't worry strikers, and the shot he had from 25 yards when he had free men just summed him up. Hearn was spot on and Disley looks to be a class act in the middle, I didn't think Church showed much today and Serge just couldn't keep the ball anywhere near him!!! That said, we played some great football in the first 60 minutes, and its hard to believe we actually lost the match! But we WILL beat the lesser teams by playing like this, hope we can build on it and get a nice run going!

Totally agree with you except for Church - worked his socks off !
Ok he's not creative but he did the basics well enough and I dread to think where we might have been without him.

I also think Eagle is getting some slightly harsh treatment - played 1 or 2 intelligent good passes and think Headingly is right.

Crosses weren't too bad today(got the feeling Eagle was told to make sure he got them in hence slightly overhitting them) but trouble can still often be we just sling it in there without actually picking out a man.

Quoted from pontoonlew
Church - I do like him, but i'm afraid its him or Disley, they cant both play together. Artus offers something much different which we need. Also, Church was billed as a tough tackling player, well im yet to see that!? He did alright today and did the right thing most of the time, but him and Disley left us so so exposed. 6/10

Disley - Missed a glorious chance for 2-2 and that was it, end of game. He too left us too exposed but attacked quite well, he plays better with Artus and I think people dont realise how much Artus gets about the pitch in comparison. 6/10

Generally, a superb analysis IMO - large chunks spot on.

Intrigued to know why you think it's a case of Church or Disley.
If you think Artus would have solved the problem Wrexham caused us in midfield today, I fear you're mistaken.
I think the real problem is a flat 4-4-2 that leaves big gaps.  

Quoted from pontoonlew
Eagle - Feel for him, he played okay but why the hell are we playing one of the most left footed players i've ever seen, on the right!?

A fair point but what's the alternative ? Coulson on the right ?!!
As I said, innefective wide players in a 4-4-2 is the problem against better passing teams - they get far too much time and space in the middle even WITH Church & Disley.

If you want to solve it, then 4-3-3 is the way (especially if teams like Wrexham are playing 4-3-3 and dominating the middle)

Quoted from pontoonlew
Artus Shouldve buried a chance late on, looks a classy player but always starts off slow. Again, should've started.

Thought he looked poor personally - fits into the "poser" category a bit like Elding for me.

Think Andy's comments are spot on.

Headingly the tactic seems to be hit it long(which tbf can put them under pressure when they're not defending in numbers) and then play in the final 3rd ?
Reply: 32 - 80
lee65
September 24, 2011, 7:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Entertaining game for a "neutral", but I'm not that so it was very frustrating.  At 1-1 could only see us going on to win well, but as soon as the second half kicked off we seemed to drop 20 yards deeper, giving them space to play and stretching our midfield too much.  Was this a tactic?, or did they push us back?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 80
ginnywings
September 24, 2011, 7:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from lee65
Entertaining game for a "neutral", but I'm not that so it was very frustrating.  At 1-1 could only see us going on to win well, but as soon as the second half kicked off we seemed to drop 20 yards deeper, giving them space to play and stretching our midfield too much.  Was this a tactic?, or did they push us back?

Not a tactic.They were just better than us and better sides push you back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 80
StiggsGTFC
September 24, 2011, 8:14pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +41
Quoted from we will return
Anyone have a good view of our disallowed goal because it look onside from where I was?

I sit at the osmond end of the main stand.

It was offside.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 80
mr viv
September 24, 2011, 8:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Were doing what we have done for the last ten years .............letting in cheap cheap goals and until this stops we will stay were we are forever!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 80
louth_in_the_south
September 24, 2011, 8:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,711
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters
As an exile, I would love to read something more positive.

From what I've heard & read, it's pretty clear that the managers are about as much cop as the ex-chairman.

I'm guessing after Ron Scotts outburst a couple of weeks ago they wanted to sign better players than they were able to , hence the signing of the likes of elding and Spencer .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 80
bostonian
September 24, 2011, 9:06pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +70
Gold Stars: 2
Pity Robs no faking money .     If he had he could solve your defensive problems by signing a SPEEDY young central defender with passing ability  named Ward playing for Boston U  .    Was very despontent when Pearson left never thought our managers would manage to unearth a better player as they have done.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 80
mr viv
September 24, 2011, 9:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
I am starting to wonder how u kept bloody 3000 clean sheets on the trot whatever it was bostonion i must admit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.