Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What confuses me about Parker....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 93 Guests

What confuses me about Parker....

This thread currently has 4,622 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
80sglory
September 22, 2011, 4:30am
Guest User
What does he actually want ?

When asked about his long term commitment he makes no guarantees but expects Fenty to do so ?  

He says "I have no ambitions to run the football club" but is willing to go off and seek people who might do.
Now fair enough, I've no problem with that - maybe he is protecting his investment or protecting the club.

But was he sticking his money in out of the goodness of his heart before, but now he can't make up his mind ?

He talked about a "long term commitment" (with Fenty) 1 year before so is it now perhaps based on the Fenty factor ?

Is he only prepared to only financially support "long term" with Fenty out the way and that's why he's insisting Fenty makes his financial position "very very clear" ?

But how so when Parker says:
"I don't know how many more times I can make it clear that I have no intentions to cut across John's position in that club."

Or is it just more b0llocks ?
i.e I don't intend to but I won't say I won't !  
aldi_01
September 22, 2011, 6:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Parker hasn't got the pots of money fenty has got so perhaps he wants someone at the helm who knows what they are doing unlike fenty who clearly didn't. Is it a way of protecting and also getting the most of his investment in the club?

What annoys me is that did fenty really think he was doing a good job? Surely it would've been better for him to bring in or seek the advice of others about many a thing???

In all honesty it's all a bit childish and us, the real fan in reality know intercourse all and are in the dark about a relatively important thing about the club we love...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 57
GrimRob
September 22, 2011, 7:21am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,449
Gold Stars: 114
Financially Fenty has done a good job. He's aways found more money, made new signings above the budget on occasion. Yes he's wasted a lot of money paying dodgy managers off, but we've never been in a position where there is any risk of running out of cash. That has all changed now. The Fenty years could be golden compared to what is to follow. Speak to fans like  those of Chester and Rushden and they'd have snapped your hand off to have Fenty as chairman.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 57
Henryscat
September 22, 2011, 7:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Parker is still a working man so can't commit the TIME needed to run the club, therefore has no ambition or desire to do so.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 57
MuddyWaters
September 22, 2011, 8:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from GrimRob
Financially Fenty has done a good job. He's aways found more money, made new signings above the budget on occasion. Yes he's wasted a lot of money paying dodgy managers off, but we've never been in a position where there is any risk of running out of cash. That has all changed now. The Fenty years could be golden compared to what is to follow. Speak to fans like  those of Chester and Rushden and they'd have snapped your hand off to have Fenty as chairman.

Chucking your personal cash away does not make you a good businessman. At some point (like now) it will start to run out.

I speak with some authority on this, if GTFC were a normal business then the creditors would have pulled it by now and Fenty would be out of a job.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 57
dapperz fun pub
September 22, 2011, 8:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
[quote=284]Parker hasn't got the pots of money fenty has got

really.....im told when youngs got bought out and parker was one of the five who shared 90 mill and im also told the split was far from even with three of them getting the lions share and him being one of the three

,could be bollox like
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 57
forza ivano
September 22, 2011, 8:57am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
see chrisloz's posts - parker is prob 3-4 times wealtheir than fenty
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 57
ginnywings
September 22, 2011, 9:41am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
It seems to me that Parker just doesn't want to be involved with Fenty,pure and simple.He will either pull out altogether or will assume more control,either personally,or with one of his men in charge,once Fenty is out of the way.I sincerely hope that whatever transpires,one or both of them will continue to run the club,even if it means trimming the budget and cutting our cloth more in line with our current standing.

Reading between the lines,i just feel that Parker thinks he hasn't got what he was promised and feels aggrieved in some way.

Worst case scenario is that both of them want out and we are left up excrement creek without a paddle,although i'm sure Fenty said he would never leave the club in a financial crisis.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 57
grimsby pete
September 22, 2011, 10:12am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
My thoughts are,

Parker does not want Fenty to be involved as chairman,

SO,

He will get a man in to do the job until Fenty gets drunk off and leaves,

Parker then takes over himself,

Parker wants Fenty to buy more shares but if he did that Parker would then just buy more so he keeps overall control,

Fenty is aware of this plan so he says , I will not buy any more shares,

Meanwhile does Rome burn and die ????

The sooner this sorts itself out ( either way )  the better.

I say to you Fishy people,

DO NOT BELIEVE A WORD EITHER OF THEM ARE SAYING,

Lets just wait until it all unfolds and hope we come out the other end a stronger better club.

I could just be talking a lot of poo though.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 57
sonik
September 22, 2011, 10:40am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
what i dont understand is we are safe this season for funding as the pair of them are going toe to toe, but anyone with any sense knows you have to forward plan with any buisness, quite clearly mike parker has said he will not put any more funds into the his club next season, so is john fenty supposed to fund his buisness and keep bankrolling until we eventually get good fortunes for mike then to say thanks very mutch john ill run the job now.

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 57
Biccys
September 22, 2011, 10:44am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
No, JF is meant to leave the club as soon as possible to allow a new chairman and board to be appointed, then I suspect a new investor, whomever that may be, will come forward. I suspect that the ego of JF has dissauded many a potential investor and they're simply waiting until he's gone completely before showing their hand.

Just a guess but I think it makes some sense if the rumours of JF's alleged ego trips are to be believed.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 57
VictorMeldrewsDad
September 22, 2011, 10:49am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Just in case it's got lost somewhere in all this i would just like to remind Mr. parker and Mr.Fenty what is at stake here. No one forced either of them to put their money into the club but the moment they did they took on a responsibility. GTFC is not a play thing. It's been around a lot longer than either of them and their millions. Having money doesn't necessarily make you happier but what it does is give you more choices. They both chose to put money into the club. Grimsby Town FC is not Woolworths or the News of the World. Grimsby Town FC can not be replaced, rebranded or closed due to unforseen circumstances. It must carry on, it's such a big part of the community. I suggest they get their acts together, realise their responsibilities and stop behaving like Peter Andre and Jordan and sort this mess out so we can all get back to what we do best...Supporting GTFC.

I will never forget where I was the day Kennedy was stabbed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 57
forza ivano
September 22, 2011, 10:50am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from sonik
what i dont understand is we are safe this season for funding as the pair of them are going toe to toe, but anyone with any sense knows you have to forward plan with any buisness, quite clearly mike parker has said he will not put any more funds into the his club next season, so is john fenty supposed to fund his buisness and keep bankrolling until we eventually get good fortunes for mike then to say thanks very mutch john ill run the job now.

no, he hasn't actually said that sonik. parker said that when planning for next season, don't assume my financial contribution, which is subtly different.
if mp is waiting for good times ,he might be waiting for a long time!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 57
RoboCod
September 22, 2011, 10:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Rather than waiting for the club to have good fortunes again and then taking over, I'd have thought it's more the case of waiting until John Fenty has to let the whole thing go at a knockdown price, then Parker/whoever makes a move ?
Is that a fair guess   ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 57
voice of reason
September 22, 2011, 10:51am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from sonik

Sorry but with JF in charge I am not optimistic the good times would eventually arrive...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 57
Roast Em Bobby
September 22, 2011, 10:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,724
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from 1600
What does he actually want ?

My guess is to take over the club and get rid of Fenty.

Quoted from 1600
When asked about his long term commitment he makes no guarantees but expects Fenty to do so ?  

He's trying to force Fenty into a corner - my guess is its a negotiation tactic

Quoted from 1600
He says "I have no ambitions to run the football club" but is willing to go off and seek people who might do.
Now fair enough, I've no problem with that - maybe he is protecting his investment or protecting the club.

Again a negotiating tactic. If he had no ambitions to tun the club why would he have said he'll come back on the board as Chairman and ploughed in 1.25 million?

Quoted from 1600
But was he sticking his money in out of the goodness of his heart before, but now he can't make up his mind ?

I doubt it very much, I think he probably came into it looking to share responsibility with Fenty, but when he saw how the club operated - especially the board, he realised that it was never going to work. He therefore cleverly put the extra money into shares so that he could play the long game and take over himself.

Quoted from 1600
He talked about a "long term commitment" (with Fenty) 1 year before so is it now perhaps based on the Fenty factor ?

See above - he's realised it will never work with Fenty on board, and is now playing hardball by saying he won't put in any more money.

Quoted from 1600
Is he only prepared to only financially support "long term" with Fenty out the way and that's why he's insisting Fenty makes his financial position "very very clear" ?

YES! I think this whole saga is in relation to how much MP is going to have to pay JF off in order to take full control and replace the board with his own men.

Quoted from 1600
But how so when Parker says:
"I don't know how many more times I can make it clear that I have no intentions to cut across John's position in that club."

Unlike JF he is media savvy, and this again falls into the negotiating tactics category.

Quoted from 1600
Or is it just more b0llocks ?i.e I don't intend to but I won't say I won't !  

None of us know for sure, but I'm pretty sure he wants to take over and some of things he is saying are just part of the overall game plan.

I hope I'm right.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 57
Denby
September 22, 2011, 11:08am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Quoted from GrimRob

an incredible post, fenty (& the board) have overspent to a ridiculous extreme.  we are out of money, fenty just continued to add to his loans secured on the ground.  fenty (& the board) has taken us to a financial position that isn't entirely disimilar to chester & rushden, it's just that we owe fenty himself rather than hmrc & other creditors
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 57
Quagmire
September 22, 2011, 11:09am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
The only way to prove or disprove the theory that Fenty is the stumbling block re other people wanting to join the board / invest in the club is for Ian Fleming to be appointed as a temporary director and for Fenty to resign fully from the board - at the minute nothing has changed other than his 'title'.

It's my opinion that Fenty knows that he is the stumbling block and will continue to be so while he still remains a director - and he knows full well that the chances of anybody wanting to join the board or invest while he is still there are slim.

This gives him exactly what he wants - he wants to ride in on his horse and 'save the day' because he will claim nobody is interested in taking the job on, and all the Fentyites will lap it up, just like they have all of his propaganda and attempts to rewrite history via the official site and the GET.

Stand down from the board completely and then see if anyone comes forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 57
fleabag1970
September 22, 2011, 11:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Its called " Problem , Reaction , Solution"  The Gov'ment use these tactics all the time!!

For example, A problem is created ----- Chairman Resigns
                    The Reaction  ------ Fans get worried that the club will fold etc etc etc
                      Solution   ------------- The chairman returns to save the day!!!!! everyone is happy and relieved to have him/her back at the helm!!!!!!!

To be honest only a fool would fall for this but and its a big BUT !!!! Millions fall for it everyday of the week!!!

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 57
Biccys
September 22, 2011, 11:28am
Which is why I think MP will not take any further interests in GTFC until JF has left completely. He's clearly wanting MP to buy his share of the club to recoup some of his money, which I understand, but I also doubt MP is daft enough to pay JF a bean unless he has assurances he will leave the club completely. Again, all speculation.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 57
ginnywings
September 22, 2011, 11:46am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from forza ivano

no, he hasn't actually said that sonik. parker said that when planning for next season, don't assume my financial contribution, which is subtly different.
if mp is waiting for good times ,he might be waiting for a long time!

Exactly,he never said he wouldn't put in any more money beyond this season.He said he wouldn't make a commitment to do so,which as you point out is a subtle difference.

He may just be waiting/engineering a chance to do so.

Of course,we could all be wrong and both of them genuinely want out,but why the hell would Parker put over a million quid in the club,then walk away?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 57
Cod Almighty T shirt man
September 22, 2011, 11:57am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Quoted from Denby

an incredible post, fenty (& the board) have overspent to a ridiculous extreme.  we are out of money, fenty just continued to add to his loans secured on the ground.  fenty (& the board) has taken us to a financial position that isn't entirely disimilar to chester & rushden, it's just that we owe fenty himself rather than hmrc & other creditors

This post is also incredible - incredibly true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 57
thebigeasy
September 22, 2011, 12:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +0
Quoted Text
Of course,we could all be wrong and both of them genuinely want out,but why the hell would Parker put over a million quid in the club,then walk away?

Tbh I think people are reading far too much into all of this - I cannot believe this is anymore to do with the fact that than the club have realised that the forecast financial position for this year (at the moment) looks far worse than they originally anitcipated, and some discussions have taken place about how this shortfall is going to be found.
I suspect that JF feels exposed, and MP has indicated to JF that his financial support this year will be limited to what has been agreed, leaving JF paying for his mistakes again - quite obviously JF is beginning to run out of enthusiasm for paying for failure.
Add to that the fact that no one - including MP - is going to take over the club whilst JF has the potential to demand some or all of his loans back, or alternatively, take over with JF remaining on the board and frustrating any attempts to change direction.
Any new investor or new board is going to want a fresh start and not be saddled with debt/issues caused by the previous failed regime. JF is facing losing all/most of his money which, despite his comments about the loans being benign, will be a bitter pill to swallow (I have always believed he intended to recover all/most of his loans when a new ground was bulit and BP was sold).
Somewhere in the middle of all this JF will have to walk away if he is unwilling to find anymore money - whether that means the club goes into administration (no longer his call) and he loses almost everything, or he finds a compromise settlement with the new investors, remains to be seen. Any potential new investors can afford to sit and wait it out. It is unlikely that things will improve and as the club steps nearer to insolvency, inevtably the "price" of taking over the club will fall. The only hope JF has is if the fortunes pick up on the field and the financial position improves reducing the pressure on him to find the extra cash.
What is undoubtedly an issue to JF is that he no longer "owns" the club and cannot have the final say in all key decisions. He now faces the same dilema that MP faced - he is one of 2 largest financial contributors in the club, but cannot guarantee to have his way!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 57
Biccys
September 22, 2011, 12:22pm
JF has said in the past, and I'm paraphrasing, that he was not bothered about the money he's invested. That to me says he's written off his investment and won't call it in.

Whether he lives up to that is going to be interesting. Or terrifying.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 57
Harry Haddock
September 22, 2011, 12:26pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
I get the impression Parker isn't as passionate about the club as Fenty is and was never commited to supporting the club long term.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 57
pontoonlew
September 22, 2011, 12:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Denby

Well judging by the fact Fenty has written off the 2 million we owe him, it actually says to me that we are financially in a better position now because we dont owe any money out. We are not 'out of money' yet, we will survive this season and probably seasons to come because we owe NOTHING. All that happens is, is the budget gradually begins to shrink and it becomes harder to get out of this league. If you did your homework on Rushen and Chester, you'd realise that they did owe money out in the persuit of success, we haven't done anyway near what they did and nobody is looking for money back from us.

Chesters chairman drained all the profits out the club for his own wealth, Fenty has drained all the debt out for nothing but love of the club. Seriously, it's not that difficult to comprehend and I know the IQ of the average fan of this club is not the highest, but it's really not that difficult.

That said, Fenty leaving is a disaster but not for the reasons most people seem to think. It's the same fans who wanted Fenty out who also want an immediate return to the FL, well im afraid there isn't a chance of the two happening in tandum unless we get more money from a man who doesn't want it back. Fenty didn't do the best job on occasions, but he did an absoloutely wonderful job of keeping us afloat. Say he chucked money away on managers & players all you like, but they were gambles that didn't pay off. He didn't risk the clubs money and risked leaving us skint, he risked his OWN money to try make some of you miserable illegitimates content.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 57
headingly_mariner
September 22, 2011, 12:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from pontoonlew

Well judging by the fact Fenty has written off the 2 million we owe him, it actually says to me that we are financially in a better position now because we dont owe any money out. We are not 'out of money' yet, we will survive this season and probably seasons to come because we owe NOTHING. All that happens is, is the budget gradually begins to shrink and it becomes harder to get out of this league. If you did your homework on Rushen and Chester, you'd realise that they did owe money out in the persuit of success, we haven't done anyway near what they did and nobody is looking for money back from us.

Chesters chairman drained all the profits out the club for his own wealth, Fenty has drained all the debt out for nothing but love of the club. Seriously, it's not that difficult to comprehend and I know the IQ of the average fan of this club is not the highest, but it's really not that difficult.

That said, Fenty leaving is a disaster but not for the reasons most people seem to think. It's the same fans who wanted Fenty out who also want an immediate return to the FL, well im afraid there isn't a chance of the two happening in tandum unless we get more money from a man who doesn't want it back. Fenty didn't do the best job on occasions, but he did an absoloutely wonderful job of keeping us afloat. Say he chucked money away on managers & players all you like, but they were gambles that didn't pay off. He didn't risk the clubs money and risked leaving us skint, he risked his OWN money to try make some of you miserable illegitimates content.

That is just not a fact, that money remains in loans and he has never said he does not want it back.

He has made a terrible mess of the club and its finances and is looking for a way out with his money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 57
sonik
September 22, 2011, 12:58pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from pontoonlew

WHS!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 57
pontoonlew
September 22, 2011, 1:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

That is just not a fact, that money remains in loans and he has never said he does not want it back.

He has made a terrible mess of the club and its finances and is looking for a way out with his money.

Others, though, have appreciated the personal wealth he has invested in the club to keep them afloat, amounting to more than £2-million with assurances he will never demand it back

Thats been taken from the Grimsby Telegraphs inital report so i'd beg to differ with you on that one.

As for the second point, he hasn't because we owe no money out? When, we did owe 700k out. So if you pay of a debt meaning you have no debt left, does that mean you've made a terrible mess? I dont understand your logic at all, how are we in a mess FINANCIALLY?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 57
voice of reason
September 22, 2011, 1:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

Others, though, have appreciated the personal wealth he has invested in the club to keep them afloat, amounting to more than £2-million with assurances he will never demand it back

Thats been taken from the Grimsby Telegraphs inital report so i'd beg to differ with you on that one.

As for the second point, he hasn't because we owe no money out? When, we did owe 700k out. So if you pay of a debt meaning you have no debt left, does that mean you've made a terrible mess? I dont understand your logic at all, how are we in a mess FINANCIALLY?

Does losing 1 million a year not equate to a financial mess...???

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 57
GrimRob
September 22, 2011, 1:08pm

Quoted from Denby

They have overspent trying to achieve success. They didn't have to. They could have offered contracts half of what we have been paying and we wouldn't owe Fenty all the money we did (which he doesn't expect to get back anyway). Then he would have been really slated! We could still go down this route. We could halve the staff budget next season and our income would equally our outgoings. It's not rocket science. Our main bill is players wages and they are totally under our control. JF has put together a budget with his own money with no expectation of it ever being returned to try and get us promoted and you still have a go at him. That's what I call incredible.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 30 - 57
Roast Em Bobby
September 22, 2011, 1:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
I thought that they were forecasting a 900K loss this year, and that the playing budget was also 900K. That basically means we can't really afford to pay any players doesn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 57
voice of reason
September 22, 2011, 1:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I thought that they were forecasting a 900K loss this year, and that the playing budget was also 900K. That basically means we can't really afford to pay any players doesn't it?

Correct..

I can't believe people are trying to defend the financial state we are in... Even JF admits the finances aren't too clever...

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 57
pontoonlew
September 22, 2011, 1:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from voice of reason

Does losing 1 million a year not equate to a financial mess...???

That's something Fenty was covering himself and i'd be absoloutely shocked if you could name me 10 proffesional clubs in the whole of England operating at a profit. If we did operate at a profit we'd be a Conference North side, now to soften that loss without Fenty we must cut our budget. Something i've JUST gone through. But yeah, still some people think Fenty going is a good thing...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 57
Quagmire
September 22, 2011, 1:15pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from pontoonlew

assurances he will never demand it back

Never demanding the money back is a lot different to not actually wanting it back.

He said he'll never put the club in jeopardy by demanding his loans back, he's never said you can write those loans off as I never want that money back.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 57
GrimRob
September 22, 2011, 1:16pm

If the wage bill is 2700 and the income is 1800 that's a 900 loss. It's just a conicidence the two figures are the same. To break even we'd just have to cut the wage bill by whatever the forecasted loss is, 900 in this case.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 35 - 57
headingly_mariner
September 22, 2011, 1:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

That is a misquote from the telegraph. He has never said he does not want it back, he said he would not demand it back to sink the club. but what those loans do is stop the club from going forward as they  leave him in a position of power over the club knowing that no one would be stupid enough to take control of the club knowing that they would eventually have to pay the money back.
We lose a million pound a year under his control, these are the kind of losses that kill a football club at this level, i think that is clearly a financial mess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 57
pontoonlew
September 22, 2011, 1:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

That is a misquote from the telegraph. He has never said he does not want it back, he said he would not demand it back to sink the club. but what those loans do is stop the club from going forward as they  leave him in a position of power over the club knowing that no one would be stupid enough to take control of the club knowing that they would eventually have to pay the money back.
We lose a million pound a year under his control, these are the kind of losses that kill a football club at this level, i think that is clearly a financial mess.

Our crouds are higher than the average club at this level, as is our general revenue. We can afford to operate at a loss for the minute, which what most clubs do. All that happens is the budget is cut (do I have to go through this again) to match what we can realistically afford to lose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 57
Kris Mustampa
September 22, 2011, 1:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +12 / -12
Quoted from pontoonlew

Ask Lloyds TSB to clarify that for you!!!

With the current impasse it is bound to have an effect on the players. Those that have a contract beyond this season will see that there is no money to meet those commitments unless someone stumps up a large wedge.

Fenty,IMO, now needs to follow things through. Leave the club altogether. It may mean melt down BUT there isnt a hope in hell of anyone getting involved whilst his loans are hanging over the club. It is the ONLY chance of survival
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 57
pontoonlew
September 22, 2011, 1:24pm
Vodka Drinker

Jesus christ...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 57
ginnywings
September 22, 2011, 2:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
The way i see it is that JF says the debts are benign but i imagine that is only the case while he is in charge of things.If somebody else wanted to take over the club,i doubt him,or anyone for that matter,would just walk away without wanting some or all of it back.

This provides a massive stumbling block to anyone who would want to take over as i see it.

I think your argument is a bit simplistic pontoonlew,if you believe we owe no money to anyone.The club owes JF and JF is the club.

The only other way out of this mess is if we suddenly start playing like worldbeaters and the crowds start coming back,coupled with a bit more shaving off the playing and staffing budget next season,when some of the higher paid players can be allowed to leave as their contracts run out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 57
Roast Em Bobby
September 22, 2011, 2:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

If the wage bill is 2700 and the income is 1800 that's a 900 loss. It's just a conicidence the two figures are the same. To break even we'd just have to cut the wage bill by whatever the forecasted loss is, 900 in this case.

I hear what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure that it has been publicly stated by JF that the playing budget is 900K. I assume the wage bill is the playing budget, though I'd imagine that the wage bill is actually less, because the playing budget would include any signing-on fees, agents fees, paying people off etc.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 57
porkies
September 22, 2011, 3:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Quoted from GrimRob

Isn't this rather simplistic? If the wage bill were cut to the level you are suggesting then it is highly likely that the income would significantly reduce too so that there would still be a shortfall.
Loans are loans ... they are not gifts! When I lend you a tenner I expect you to pay it back; if I give you a tenner I don't ... even if we have a fall-out. If JF really didn't want his money back under any circumstances then why hasn't he written these loans off already? Loans [whether he calls them benign or not] are debt and their existence is certainly a major hindrance to any takeover, particularly in the acrimonious circumstances which pertain at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 57
80sglory
September 22, 2011, 4:16pm
Guest User
Quoted from thebigeasy
What is undoubtedly an issue to JF is that he no longer "owns" the club and cannot have the final say in all key decisions. He now faces the same dilema that MP faced - he is one of 2 largest financial contributors in the club, but cannot guarantee to have his way!

Think your post is an excellent one but confused at this statement - why cannot JF have his way ?
Do you mean making the decisions or being the major shareholding within the board ?

Quoted from pontoonlew
It's the same fans who wanted Fenty out who also want an immediate return to the FL

Even if that sweeping statement is true(which it isn't in my case), you've just admitted below Fenty wanted exactly the same !
Quoted from pontoonlew
He didn't risk the clubs money and risked leaving us skint, he risked his OWN money to try make some of you miserable illegitimates content.

His intentions may have been noble, but what way is that to run a business ?
If you take risks and they don't work out, you can hardly point the finger back again.
Fenty went for a half arsed approach - went for the "cheap option" with Woods then blew lots of money on the same unproven, experienced manager.
Then did it all over again ! (let's pray it works...)

Quoted from GrimRob
They have overspent trying to achieve success. They didn't have to. They could have offered contracts half of what we have been paying and we wouldn't owe Fenty all the money we did (which he doesn't expect to get back anyway). Then he would have been really slated! We could still go down this route. We could halve the staff budget next season and our income would equally our outgoings. It's not rocket science. Our main bill is players wages and they are totally under our control. JF has put together a budget with his own money with no expectation of it ever being returned to try and get us promoted and you still have a go at him. That's what I call incredible.

I agree Rob, but he wouldn't have been slated by everyone.

A bit of honesty that admits we can't have a plan that loses £1 million a year wouldn't have been liked short-term but it would have been understood and swallowed by the hard core(who it seems are the only ones left anyway)
And had Fenty made noises about upping the budget once we had found the "right manager" then would fans have not gone with a rebuilding programme ?
I find it rather difficult to believe they couldn't have been persuaded, especially in the first year of the BSP.

So you're right we could indeed have slashed the budget(and probably will do to live within our means) but then why is Fenty painting a picture of doom and gloom on the OS when he says:

"There have been many clubs over the years which have experienced turmoil and possible extinction and have gone on to play there way out of it on the field" ?
Reply: 43 - 57
voice of reason
September 22, 2011, 4:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

That's something Fenty was covering himself and i'd be absoloutely shocked if you could name me 10 proffesional clubs in the whole of England operating at a profit. If we did operate at a profit we'd be a Conference North side, now to soften that loss without Fenty we must cut our budget. Something i've JUST gone through. But yeah, still some people think Fenty going is a good thing...

So like I say the clubs finances are a mess because without JF putting his own money in we are losing 1 million...

For me there is a lot of waste at GTFC the club could cut first, then yes you're right the playing budget should be cut... The man in charge hasn't done this though, he has continually overspent... And as somebody said earlier in the thread - ask the bank if we are debt free, I think they may have a different view to you...

Your shite about other clubs means nothing to me... Just because many other clubs are poorly run doesn't give us licence to follow suit... Just look down the M180 for a club who has been successful recently and still made a profit...

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 57
Biccys
September 22, 2011, 4:35pm
WHat is the ROOT cause of JF having to spunk millions of pounds on trying to get us promoted though? Yes, his decisions have largely been woeful and he acknowledges this. His main failing seems to be throwing good money after bad to try and remedy the situation. I feel for the guy, I really do, but let's put it into perspective, he's only ever TRIED his best. I hope he walks away and lets someone else do it as ultimately he's failed.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 57
voice of reason
September 22, 2011, 4:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Biccys
WHat is the ROOT cause of JF having to spunk millions of pounds on trying to get us promoted though? Yes, his decisions have largely been woeful and he acknowledges this. His main failing seems to be throwing good money after bad to try and remedy the situation. I feel for the guy, I really do, but let's put it into perspective, he's only ever TRIED his best. I hope he walks away and lets someone else do it as ultimately he's failed.

I don't doubt he has tried his best but to be honest his best has been awful... I hope someone comes in, now is an opportunity for this club to move forward, if we get the right man in now...

Private Message
Reply: 46 - 57
Garth
September 22, 2011, 5:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
I think the benign loans that JF has put into the club were no worry to the club as long as JF had control, ie unless we made good by promotion and increased revenue they would not have had to be repaid, however I really can`t see him surrendering them now that his rrse is being kicked by MP. Why gift money to a rival
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 57
GrimRob
September 22, 2011, 5:14pm

Quoted from Biccys

WHS  

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 48 - 57
MuddyWaters
September 22, 2011, 5:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Biccys

And frankly that's as good as it gets.

We're now in a situation where the more he puts in the press, the dafter he looks.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 57
Denby
September 22, 2011, 5:27pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Quoted from pontoonlew

...from the gospel of st john

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 57
MuddyWaters
September 22, 2011, 5:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

The top & tail of it is that GTFC is not a credible business and has been led by someone who has lost all credibility as a businessman by playing with it as his toy, employing friends & family amongst other things. Now, he's spat his dummy out & chucked his toy out of the pram because someone's prepared to confront the ego of the man.

He has continually disrespected the fans with his patronising waffle - 'we will never de-value the product', 'the tide is a long way out' & ' Mike Newell's right - we have a culture of failure' - being amongst the classics.

You could quite rightly say that he has supported the club financially, no-one can deny that, but what are we left with? Crap football in a crap league in a crap ground with crap facilities - that's the legacy of John Fenty.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 57
80sglory
September 22, 2011, 6:03pm
Guest User
Quoted from Biccys

Well said.

I suppose once you set the precedent it's difficult for everyone to accept changing course later but it has to be done.
UNLESS you know you've got the right manager of course - then it's arguably worth those risks.

If S&H start looking good then how gutted would we be if Fenty says "sorry no more" just as we were looking on the right path ?

For all his talk of "competitive budgets" Fenty has proved his lack of footballing knowledge is no foundation for any underlying business plan which amounts to no more than stick the same amount of money in and cross your fingers.

I feel for him and appreciate his support I really do but it's hard to swallow.

On the positive side, there's still a faint chance for S&H this season....
Reply: 52 - 57
VictorMeldrewsDad
September 22, 2011, 6:53pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / 0
If GTFC was a one armed bandit and Fenty was pumping his money in hoping for a prize (The prize being success) then it seems unfair that because he hasn't won he can take his money back. If the next bloke comes along and drops the jackpot after a few quid then it's hard luck on him and good fortune for the next bloke.

I will never forget where I was the day Kennedy was stabbed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 57
80sglory
September 22, 2011, 7:02pm
Guest User
That's a good analogy !  
Reply: 54 - 57
LukeyJ
September 22, 2011, 8:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Well Parker has put in £1.2 milliion for a 54% shareholding.
Fenty has put in £2 million for a fair bit less.

I have a strong feeling Parker mislead Fenty into selling him shares so he could gain control at a fraction of the price.

Sounds a bit of a con. Bit of a business decision. Bit of a secret agenda to gain power.

Quite frankly MP seems worse than Fenty and that is saying something.

While Fenty is not a good chairman, he's always done things out of good intention. MP you can't say the same for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 57
headingly_mariner
September 22, 2011, 9:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LukeyJ
Well Parker has put in £1.2 milliion for a 54% shareholding.
Fenty has put in £2 million for a fair bit less.

I have a strong feeling Parker mislead Fenty into selling him shares so he could gain control at a fraction of the price.

Sounds a bit of a con. Bit of a business decision. Bit of a secret agenda to gain power.

Quite frankly MP seems worse than Fenty and that is saying something.

While Fenty is not a good chairman, he's always done things out of good intention. MP you can't say the same for.

He has no power, he is not on the board. Fenty can take his money out Parker cannot.

How is Parker worse than Fenty? has he taken the club through three relegations? has he copulated the clubs finances? Has he made the club two million in debt to him?

As far as i can see Parker not a lot can be seen from Parker's breif spell with the club other than he obviously cannot get on with the current people in the boardroom, who have very little credibility.

Sack the board!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 57
80sglory
September 22, 2011, 10:32pm
Guest User
Quoted from LukeyJ

Evidence ? Reasoning ?

Read the official statements - they both agreed they could both take out loans up to £350K.

Parker didn't - he took out shares.
Fenty didn't - he took out loans. WHY ?
Please tell me if he was so concerned about Parkers increased shareholding why he didn't ?

Reply: 57 - 57
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What confuses me about Parker....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.