Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What confuses me about Parker....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 74 Guests

What confuses me about Parker....

This thread currently has 4,627 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
September 22, 2011, 2:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
The way i see it is that JF says the debts are benign but i imagine that is only the case while he is in charge of things.If somebody else wanted to take over the club,i doubt him,or anyone for that matter,would just walk away without wanting some or all of it back.

This provides a massive stumbling block to anyone who would want to take over as i see it.

I think your argument is a bit simplistic pontoonlew,if you believe we owe no money to anyone.The club owes JF and JF is the club.

The only other way out of this mess is if we suddenly start playing like worldbeaters and the crowds start coming back,coupled with a bit more shaving off the playing and staffing budget next season,when some of the higher paid players can be allowed to leave as their contracts run out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 57
Roast Em Bobby
September 22, 2011, 2:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,724
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from GrimRob

If the wage bill is 2700 and the income is 1800 that's a 900 loss. It's just a conicidence the two figures are the same. To break even we'd just have to cut the wage bill by whatever the forecasted loss is, 900 in this case.

I hear what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure that it has been publicly stated by JF that the playing budget is 900K. I assume the wage bill is the playing budget, though I'd imagine that the wage bill is actually less, because the playing budget would include any signing-on fees, agents fees, paying people off etc.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 57
porkies
September 22, 2011, 3:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Quoted from GrimRob

If the wage bill is 2700 and the income is 1800 that's a 900 loss. It's just a conicidence the two figures are the same. To break even we'd just have to cut the wage bill by whatever the forecasted loss is, 900 in this case.

Isn't this rather simplistic? If the wage bill were cut to the level you are suggesting then it is highly likely that the income would significantly reduce too so that there would still be a shortfall.
Loans are loans ... they are not gifts! When I lend you a tenner I expect you to pay it back; if I give you a tenner I don't ... even if we have a fall-out. If JF really didn't want his money back under any circumstances then why hasn't he written these loans off already? Loans [whether he calls them benign or not] are debt and their existence is certainly a major hindrance to any takeover, particularly in the acrimonious circumstances which pertain at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 57
80sglory
September 22, 2011, 4:16pm
Guest User
Quoted from thebigeasy
What is undoubtedly an issue to JF is that he no longer "owns" the club and cannot have the final say in all key decisions. He now faces the same dilema that MP faced - he is one of 2 largest financial contributors in the club, but cannot guarantee to have his way!

Think your post is an excellent one but confused at this statement - why cannot JF have his way ?
Do you mean making the decisions or being the major shareholding within the board ?

Quoted from pontoonlew
It's the same fans who wanted Fenty out who also want an immediate return to the FL

Even if that sweeping statement is true(which it isn't in my case), you've just admitted below Fenty wanted exactly the same !
Quoted from pontoonlew
He didn't risk the clubs money and risked leaving us skint, he risked his OWN money to try make some of you miserable illegitimates content.

His intentions may have been noble, but what way is that to run a business ?
If you take risks and they don't work out, you can hardly point the finger back again.
Fenty went for a half arsed approach - went for the "cheap option" with Woods then blew lots of money on the same unproven, experienced manager.
Then did it all over again ! (let's pray it works...)

Quoted from GrimRob
They have overspent trying to achieve success. They didn't have to. They could have offered contracts half of what we have been paying and we wouldn't owe Fenty all the money we did (which he doesn't expect to get back anyway). Then he would have been really slated! We could still go down this route. We could halve the staff budget next season and our income would equally our outgoings. It's not rocket science. Our main bill is players wages and they are totally under our control. JF has put together a budget with his own money with no expectation of it ever being returned to try and get us promoted and you still have a go at him. That's what I call incredible.

I agree Rob, but he wouldn't have been slated by everyone.

A bit of honesty that admits we can't have a plan that loses £1 million a year wouldn't have been liked short-term but it would have been understood and swallowed by the hard core(who it seems are the only ones left anyway)
And had Fenty made noises about upping the budget once we had found the "right manager" then would fans have not gone with a rebuilding programme ?
I find it rather difficult to believe they couldn't have been persuaded, especially in the first year of the BSP.

So you're right we could indeed have slashed the budget(and probably will do to live within our means) but then why is Fenty painting a picture of doom and gloom on the OS when he says:

"There have been many clubs over the years which have experienced turmoil and possible extinction and have gone on to play there way out of it on the field" ?
Reply: 43 - 57
voice of reason
September 22, 2011, 4:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from pontoonlew

That's something Fenty was covering himself and i'd be absoloutely shocked if you could name me 10 proffesional clubs in the whole of England operating at a profit. If we did operate at a profit we'd be a Conference North side, now to soften that loss without Fenty we must cut our budget. Something i've JUST gone through. But yeah, still some people think Fenty going is a good thing...

So like I say the clubs finances are a mess because without JF putting his own money in we are losing 1 million...

For me there is a lot of waste at GTFC the club could cut first, then yes you're right the playing budget should be cut... The man in charge hasn't done this though, he has continually overspent... And as somebody said earlier in the thread - ask the bank if we are debt free, I think they may have a different view to you...

Your shite about other clubs means nothing to me... Just because many other clubs are poorly run doesn't give us licence to follow suit... Just look down the M180 for a club who has been successful recently and still made a profit...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 57
Biccys
September 22, 2011, 4:35pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
WHat is the ROOT cause of JF having to spunk millions of pounds on trying to get us promoted though? Yes, his decisions have largely been woeful and he acknowledges this. His main failing seems to be throwing good money after bad to try and remedy the situation. I feel for the guy, I really do, but let's put it into perspective, he's only ever TRIED his best. I hope he walks away and lets someone else do it as ultimately he's failed.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 57
voice of reason
September 22, 2011, 4:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from Biccys
WHat is the ROOT cause of JF having to spunk millions of pounds on trying to get us promoted though? Yes, his decisions have largely been woeful and he acknowledges this. His main failing seems to be throwing good money after bad to try and remedy the situation. I feel for the guy, I really do, but let's put it into perspective, he's only ever TRIED his best. I hope he walks away and lets someone else do it as ultimately he's failed.

I don't doubt he has tried his best but to be honest his best has been awful... I hope someone comes in, now is an opportunity for this club to move forward, if we get the right man in now...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 57
Garth
September 22, 2011, 5:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
I think the benign loans that JF has put into the club were no worry to the club as long as JF had control, ie unless we made good by promotion and increased revenue they would not have had to be repaid, however I really can`t see him surrendering them now that his rrse is being kicked by MP. Why gift money to a rival
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 57
GrimRob
September 22, 2011, 5:14pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,447
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from Biccys

WHS  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 57
MuddyWaters
September 22, 2011, 5:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Biccys

And frankly that's as good as it gets.

We're now in a situation where the more he puts in the press, the dafter he looks.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What confuses me about Parker....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.