Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 10,798 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Mappers
March 19, 2024, 9:43am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from diehardmariner

Is it that we can't or that we just don't?

This forum was more or less unanimously in agreement 12 months that Crocombe had run his course with us and the time was right for both parties to look for something else.  Less nice way of putting it is that perhaps his time here had gone a bit stale  He wasn't as commanding in his area, his kicking had gone to pieces and he was forever palming relatively easy shots back into the path of strikers.

We should have upgraded on him if we wanted to kick on.  You're not going to get better than midtable League Two if you're first choice 'keeper is performing how Crocombe did in the second half of last season.  Ultimately, we didn't do that.  We downgraded, certainly on the first 6 months of the season.  I think Eastwood is a fine 'keeper when his chin is up, the problem is that his confidence is so fragile that the slightest dent and he completely crumbles.  Cartwright is now showing what he can do and if we take his last month or so in isolation he pisses all over Crocombe, but more than likely he just wasn't ready to be first choice in November of last year.  

It's an ongoing issue at this club and I will repeat it, it's the legacy of Hurst.  In the Football League he simply failed at every attempt to upgrade on the players he let go. The intent was absolutely correct, you always want to get better players in and the first-teamers of today become the squad players of tomorrow as you go through that process.  But he never managed to do it.  I don't think it's unkind to say that more often than not he weakened us with his transfer dealings at this level.  I'm really struggling to think of more than a handful of signings in the league under Hurst that were genuine improvements and upgrades.  Danny Rose absolutely, Danny Andrew, it's definitely a theme as Danny Collins too was an upgrade.  But who else?

I really like Holohan, he just seems a very likeable bloke and I think we've consistently looked better with him in the side since he arrived two years ago.  His ability to pop up with important goals has proved key.  But he should not be part of our improvement arc.  Same with Green, who I do think has put in a couple of very good performances of late.  Ultimately they are not the players who take you into the higher echelons of this division.

Of the two Green is probably the one with the better chance of staying because he's a bit more versatile, I do think he's perhaps got a bit more to offer moving further forward and that he can and does suit a high press in that role.  Technically though I'm not sure.   He can do that destroyer role but I think in both Conteh and now Thompson we've seen that an effective holding midfielder can and should offer more than just getting to the ball first.  Thompson especially is doing everything Green does in that role and then more.  If Thompson's out and Green drops into that position, our game dramatically changes and is weakened.  It's idealistic but you want someone who's more capable of doing the Thompson role.  Also if our aspirations are to challenge at the top end, how often are we going to go somewhere and want to put Green in there to do a destruction job?  Probably not very often.

If we had to sort contracts today, I would offer Clifton one but on the understanding that his primary position is wingback/fullback.  In that position I honestly think he's up there at this level.  But in midfield he's another we would need to improve on if we want to kick on.

The harsh reality is that the vast majority of the squad still have huge question marks over them.  At the back Rodgers and Mullarkey have really improved in recent games, but it still must be a worry of how bad they can be.  Wilson up top, who I think has looked every inch the perfect No 9 at this level (strong, mobile, quick, intelligent and a bloody good finisher too), but what was it that Artell didn't fancy about him to start with?  I can't remember the comment but it was about his fitness/durability when it came to injuries and knocks.  I don't for a second think we're in danger, but this squad is still the one that's left us in that position.  How much of that do you want to take forward into the next season?  I don't think it's going to be a shock when we return to a more expansive style of play next season, how many of this lot does Artell fancy can cope with that?  

My assumption as I said before is  that Hurst had a ready made senior upgrade fixed up as a replacement for Crocombe , so I  didn't see it as a major problem him leaving - it turned out he had some kid with high potential and somebody who had a terrible season for a relegated Rochdale previously fixed up .

Cartwright has turned out to be more than adequate a replacement , especially in recent weeks but the original recruitment in the goalkeeping department has to be put down as poor .

It will be interesting to see if we look at taking Cartwright back next season (or if Hull will let him out again to league 2 ) if not you would hope a high quality lower league standard keeper is the aim .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 90
mariner91
March 19, 2024, 10:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262

Is it that we can't or that we just don't?

This forum was more or less unanimously in agreement 12 months that Crocombe had run his course with us and the time was right for both parties to look for something else.  Less nice way of putting it is that perhaps his time here had gone a bit stale  He wasn't as commanding in his area, his kicking had gone to pieces and he was forever palming relatively easy shots back into the path of strikers.

We should have upgraded on him if we wanted to kick on.  You're not going to get better than midtable League Two if you're first choice 'keeper is performing how Crocombe did in the second half of last season.  Ultimately, we didn't do that.  We downgraded, certainly on the first 6 months of the season.  I think Eastwood is a fine 'keeper when his chin is up, the problem is that his confidence is so fragile that the slightest dent and he completely crumbles.  Cartwright is now showing what he can do and if we take his last month or so in isolation he pisses all over Crocombe, but more than likely he just wasn't ready to be first choice in November of last year.  

It's an ongoing issue at this club and I will repeat it, it's the legacy of Hurst.  In the Football League he simply failed at every attempt to upgrade on the players he let go. The intent was absolutely correct, you always want to get better players in and the first-teamers of today become the squad players of tomorrow as you go through that process.  But he never managed to do it.  I don't think it's unkind to say that more often than not he weakened us with his transfer dealings at this level.  I'm really struggling to think of more than a handful of signings in the league under Hurst that were genuine improvements and upgrades.  Danny Rose absolutely, Danny Andrew, it's definitely a theme as Danny Collins too was an upgrade.  But who else?

I really like Holohan, he just seems a very likeable bloke and I think we've consistently looked better with him in the side since he arrived two years ago.  His ability to pop up with important goals has proved key.  But he should not be part of our improvement arc.  Same with Green, who I do think has put in a couple of very good performances of late.  Ultimately they are not the players who take you into the higher echelons of this division.

Of the two Green is probably the one with the better chance of staying because he's a bit more versatile, I do think he's perhaps got a bit more to offer moving further forward and that he can and does suit a high press in that role.  Technically though I'm not sure.   He can do that destroyer role but I think in both Conteh and now Thompson we've seen that an effective holding midfielder can and should offer more than just getting to the ball first.  Thompson especially is doing everything Green does in that role and then more.  If Thompson's out and Green drops into that position, our game dramatically changes and is weakened.  It's idealistic but you want someone who's more capable of doing the Thompson role.  Also if our aspirations are to challenge at the top end, how often are we going to go somewhere and want to put Green in there to do a destruction job?  Probably not very often.

If we had to sort contracts today, I would offer Clifton one but on the understanding that his primary position is wingback/fullback.  In that position I honestly think he's up there at this level.  But in midfield he's another we would need to improve on if we want to kick on.

The harsh reality is that the vast majority of the squad still have huge question marks over them.  At the back Rodgers and Mullarkey have really improved in recent games, but it still must be a worry of how bad they can be.  Wilson up top, who I think has looked every inch the perfect No 9 at this level (strong, mobile, quick, intelligent and a bloody good finisher too), but what was it that Artell didn't fancy about him to start with?  I can't remember the comment but it was about his fitness/durability when it came to injuries and knocks.  I don't for a second think we're in danger, but this squad is still the one that's left us in that position.  How much of that do you want to take forward into the next season?  I don't think it's going to be a shock when we return to a more expansive style of play next season, how many of this lot does Artell fancy can cope with that?  

I'd say the solution is staring us in the face. We need to fill the team with Dannys.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 90
Maringer
March 19, 2024, 10:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
Danny Andrew only came to us because he'd been out for so long with injury. Putting himself in the shop window, so to speak. He was really, really good for us that one season, however.

I suppose Vernam is the equivalent for now - stepping down from a higher level to see if he can prove himself after injuries. Hasn't quite worked out yet, unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 90
diehardmariner
March 19, 2024, 11:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
To give Hurst credit with Andrew, it was a big gamble yet one that was a major success.

Andrew, for his class, was largely untested.  Only managed one full season with Cheltenham in League Two and that was 10/11.  After that two seasons of limited appearances and non-league loans, then a full season in the Conference with Macclesfield and then a further two injury disrupted years in League One with Fleetwood.

Less than 100 games in his mid-20's and a dicey injury record, I don't think too many League Two bosses would have put Andrew high on their transfer list or as their first choice.  Hurst went all on in though, the only back up was another Daniel (Jones, Dan) who had even less experience at that level.

For me, the best left-back we've had (as our own) in a good 20 odd years.

Win some, lose some.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 90
Abdul19
March 19, 2024, 11:03am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from mariner91

I'd say the solution is staring us in the face. We need to fill the team with Dannys.

Would take Coyne for the bench.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 90
toontown
March 19, 2024, 11:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Maringer
Danny Andrew only came to us because he'd been out for so long with injury. Putting himself in the shop window, so to speak. He was really, really good for us that one season, however.

I suppose Vernam is the equivalent for now - stepping down from a higher level to see if he can prove himself after injuries. Hasn't quite worked out yet, unfortunately.

Some similarities but definitely not the same. With Andrews it was a 1 yr contract to suit both parties, we didn't risk a long contract on a player who may have been a long term injury risk. Similarly he didn't want to be stuck in a long contract with us if he proved he was better than this league 2, which he believed he was.
With Vernam we have a regularly injured player but we are bound into a long term deal, whereas for Vernam he has shown he is up to this league 2 level football in the past but he's not better than this league, he's had a couple of goes at the league above and failed to establish himself at that level. This contract definitely suits Vernam, it doesn't suit us if he continues with his injury struggles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 90
forza ivano
March 19, 2024, 11:24am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from pontoonlew
I personally think Green has improved massively from a technical perspective since Artell came in, he’s starting to resemble a footballer when the ball is at his feet. Despite looking about 45, he’s still only 26 so I think there’s still some improvement to be had there, but I do feel it’s starting to click a bit for him.

Based on the last 3 games I've seen, I couldn't agree more. The transformation in him techically is incredible - on Saturday I had to keep reminding myself it was Green I was watching!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 90
Maringer
March 19, 2024, 11:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
For me, the best left-back we've had (as our own) in a good 20 odd years.

Best left-back I've seen, really. Townsend was clearly good but I think Andrew was better over a whole season. We quite literally didn't bother playing with a left-sided midfielder for much of the season, because he was doing both the defending and the attacking down our left! Truth be told, I'm surprised he didn't play higher than he did, but perhaps his pace didn't stand out quite so much at that level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 90
diehardmariner
March 19, 2024, 11:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Personally don't think Andrew gets near Townsend if I'm honest.

Purely in terms of ability compared to the level they were playing for us, I've not seen a better player in a Town shirt than Conor Townsend.  He was just that good at Conference level, especially for his age.  Even in his second spell he was only in his early 20's yet from the off it was just a case of give him the ball and let him do stuff.

Fair point on the lack of a left side when Andrew was here, but I think it was largely the case in Townsend's second spell too as he had Andy Monkhouse ahead of him.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 90
toontown
March 19, 2024, 11:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Personally don't think Andrew gets near Townsend if I'm honest.

Purely in terms of ability compared to the level they were playing for us, I've not seen a better player in a Town shirt than Conor Townsend.  He was just that good at Conference level, especially for his age.  Even in his second spell he was only in his early 20's yet from the off it was just a case of give him the ball and let him do stuff.

Fair point on the lack of a left side when Andrew was here, but I think it was largely the case in Townsend's second spell too as he had Andy Monkhouse ahead of him.

Townsend was so stand out above the level it was ridiculous
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 90
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.