Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 10,781 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Heisenberg
March 17, 2024, 9:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,054
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

How many times has it been said on here “we can do better”?
Actually we often can’t. It was said about Max and Orsi who have played 36 and 35 games this season, and they could have a made a big difference to our season. Both Gav and Green are highly committed squad members who also have a relatively good track record with injuries. For me, it depends on their expectations, if they want to be starters every week then they should move on, but if they are happy at GTFC as squad players they could be worth another 12 months. Especially if on relatively modest wages. It depends on the clubs view on Khouri though - if we kept both that could be a blocker on his progress.

Personally I was undecided on Crocombe, but adamant that Orsi should stay. We were losing McAtee and Taylor, so keeping Orsi would have kept some continuity.

Next season, it’s worth pointing out that Rose, Wilson and
Pyke are under contact…..

We can’t keep holohan, he’s past it. Green, maybe.

Anyway, it doesn’t mean I’m not 100% behind this squad until safety. Then we’ll see what DA has decided.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 90
Mappers
March 17, 2024, 10:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

How many times has it been said on here “we can do better”?
Actually we often can’t. It was said about Max and Orsi who have played 36 and 35 games this season, and they could have a made a big difference to our season. Both Gav and Green are highly committed squad members who also have a relatively good track record with injuries. For me, it depends on their expectations, if they want to be starters every week then they should move on, but if they are happy at GTFC as squad players they could be worth another 12 months. Especially if on relatively modest wages. It depends on the clubs view on Khouri though - if we kept both that could be a blocker on his progress.

That's basically my view with signings/releasing players - you need to be 100% sure that you will be bringing better in, which seems to be something we struggle with ; we would have let Wilson go to Crawley remember if the paperwork had gone through on time ..... we got lucky with that one .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 90
toontown
March 17, 2024, 11:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Mappers

That's basically my view with signings/releasing players - you need to be 100% sure that you will be bringing better in, which seems to be something we struggle with ; we would have let Wilson go to Crawley remember if the paperwork had gone through on time ..... we got lucky with that one .

Yeah that was really bad judgment, which to be fair ordinary fans pointed out at the time, but the pro football manager we employ wanted rid. We and him got a lucky break the paperwork didn't go through.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 90
GrimPol
March 18, 2024, 12:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -671
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from BrickTop

That's incredibly harsh on Mullarkey, who since moving to the RCB role has looked just as competent as the other 2 centre halves. We definitely need 2 more mobile central midfielders, similar to the 2 that ran the midfield for MK Dons last week, to compliment Thompson and so we retain possession for longer periods of the game.

Harsh on Mullarkey? He's a good player but (like all players this season) not consistent. I'm not asking for his head, just pointing out that crosses were coming in on his left which he didn't/couldn't stop. He got subbed. Says all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 90
Maringer
March 18, 2024, 1:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Heisenberg

Personally I was undecided on Crocombe, but adamant that Orsi should stay. We were losing McAtee and Taylor, so keeping Orsi would have kept some continuity.

Undecided about Crocombe? He's the best keeper we've had for years, in spite of his in-match injury issues that required treatment towards the end of most tight games.

I can see why Hurst let Orsi go, as he hadn't shown much in many of the games he played, but then he wasn't trusted to have a run in the team to prove himself. After a decent performance, he was often back on the bench the next game. I think at this level, you aren't going to get too many players capable of leading the line as well as scoring lots of goals (Rose the only exception for us in League football in recent years) and Hurst wasn't willing to give him a starting spot on the off-chance he might score a goal or two. I was OK to see him go and would rather have Rose, but we've not consistently had a strike pairing this season and, ideally, you want a couple of strikers scoring goals. Wilson and Obikwu now chipping in, which is certainly helpful, given our predicament.

I wouldn't keep Holohan next season. He's had some terrible performances at times, rescued by the odd good delivery into the box which has led to a goal (against MK Dons, for example). I think he's not the player he was and he's not going to get any better at his age. Not sure Green is technically up to the job. Is he under contract next season? If not, I don't think I would be looking to keep him, either.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 90
pontoonlew
March 18, 2024, 1:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,035
Gold Stars: 176
Gavs one of these where we’d probably miss him when he’s gone. I think he’s been poor the past 2 games but then pops up with vital performances/goals at just the right time. When he’s bad he’s bad, when he’s good he’s excellent, although the bad seem to be happening more often than the good this season.

I’d keep him as a squad player, because we’d find those match winning moments difficult to replicate from a player of a similar ilk IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 90
AncientExiledMariner
March 18, 2024, 1:36pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
The thing about Gav, is he does really good stuff with the ball that can lead to goals and assists, but considering everyone says he always puts in a shift, he's often at fault for giving up on tracking back and being way too casual. I've seen several goals conceded where he's likely contributed to that.

Don't get me wrong, he has upside, but you'd need 2 hard working players behind him and you'd have to carry him as a luxury player. Would you want an attacking midfielder who's passing is so hit and miss? Surely there are better options out there in that role. Would he be useful off the bench and as competition in an attacking role? Of course, but he cost more than Khouri and take opportunities away from him. If we have a budget for midfield. I'd rather we had a good budget for 3 starters, an Khouri and another youngster to challenge them.

The other issue is, we have Hunt on another year, and without being able to ship him out, we could be carrying 2 bench luxuries not consistently at a good L2 standard. I'd rather Clifton on the bench and as utility option and bring other starters in alongside Thompson.

Don't get me wrong, what Gav has done in the past has been great, but unless his salary demands are real modest and can slot in as a bench option, it feels like a luxury we cannot afford. To progress, sometimes you've got to let the sentiment go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 90
rancido
March 18, 2024, 1:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from toontown

Yeah that was really bad judgment, which to be fair ordinary fans pointed out at the time, but the pro football manager we employ wanted rid. We and him got a lucky break the paperwork didn't go through.

DA explained in an interview that he didn't want rid. He sensed that the player wasn't happy and said if he wanted to go then fair enough, he wouldn't stand in his way. DA obviously knew that Crawley were interested. But he also said that he would be also happy if he stayed.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 90
AncientExiledMariner
March 18, 2024, 1:42pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Mappers

You're never going to be 100% sure. The only players you truly known are the ones you have under contract and have seen in training and matches.

However, if we don't improve on below average L2 players, we have no right to be higher up the table. We cannot afford to be complacent, and we have to keep improving our squad. Sticking with what we have represents a significant risk as this season has taught us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 90
Mappers
March 18, 2024, 2:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Heisenberg

Next season, it’s worth pointing out that Rose, Wilson and
Pyke are under contact…..

We can’t keep holohan, he’s past it. Green, maybe.

Anyway, it doesn’t mean I’m not 100% behind this squad until safety. Then we’ll see what DA has decided.

Orsi was under contract , but we let him go for game time and to be closer south - all very admirable from a personable point of view but in hindsight made us weaker ; exactly the same could have happened with Wilson barring the paperwork mix up and on current form he will play a  role in securing our league status . We obviously care about the person aswell as the player which is all well and good but we need to strike a balance between detriment to the team and making people happy .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 90
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.