Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 10,792 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Mappers
March 18, 2024, 2:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,329
Gold Stars: 118

You're never going to be 100% sure. The only players you truly known are the ones you have under contract and have seen in training and matches.

However, if we don't improve on below average L2 players, we have no right to be higher up the table. We cannot afford to be complacent, and we have to keep improving our squad. Sticking with what we have represents a significant risk as this season has taught us.

Yeah I do agree we need to improve for sure especially in the middle of the park . But I really don't want to see the 15-20 player overhaul which I sort of expect to happen ; maybe just maybe a gradual changeover would work better alligning with the style of play - we saw how badly wrong that went trying to change it instantly .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 90
Heisenberg
March 18, 2024, 2:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Maringer

Undecided about Crocombe? He's the best keeper we've had for years, in spite of his in-match injury issues that required treatment towards the end of most tight games.

I can see why Hurst let Orsi go, as he hadn't shown much in many of the games he played, but then he wasn't trusted to have a run in the team to prove himself. After a decent performance, he was often back on the bench the next game. I think at this level, you aren't going to get too many players capable of leading the line as well as scoring lots of goals (Rose the only exception for us in League football in recent years) and Hurst wasn't willing to give him a starting spot on the off-chance he might score a goal or two. I was OK to see him go and would rather have Rose, but we've not consistently had a strike pairing this season and, ideally, you want a couple of strikers scoring goals. Wilson and Obikwu now chipping in, which is certainly helpful, given our predicament.

I wouldn't keep Holohan next season. He's had some terrible performances at times, rescued by the odd good delivery into the box which has led to a goal (against MK Dons, for example). I think he's not the player he was and he's not going to get any better at his age. Not sure Green is technically up to the job. Is he under contract next season? If not, I don't think I would be looking to keep him, either.

Of course, with hindsight I now realise how good Crocombe was, you’re right, but his form did slip at the tail end of last season. I think the fans were 50/50 on his contract situation, and there were definitely some on here who proclaimed after our opening game against Wimbledon that Eastwood was a clear upgrade - have a think about that!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 90
AncientExiledMariner
March 18, 2024, 2:57pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Heisenberg

Of course, with hindsight I now realise how good Crocombe was, you’re right, but his form did slip at the tail end of last season. I think the fans were 50/50 on his contract situation, and there were definitely some on here who proclaimed after our opening game against Wimbledon that Eastwood was a clear upgrade - have a think about that!!

I think it was further than 50/50. I'd say the majority (70%+ from what I saw) felt we needed an upgrade, and that he didn't justify being a guaranteed first choice pick based on last season.

I think there was a lot of rewriting history when folk were pushing for Hurst to be gone. Don't get me wrong, there was more than enough arguments in favour of that. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 90
ginnywings
March 18, 2024, 4:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
The problem with our midfield, and that goes for all of them, is ball retention and passing accuracy. We are consistently around late 50's, early 60's percentage wise, and it just isn't good enough to control games of football. Some of them can't even control the ball a lot of the time, and the second touch is a tackle. One of the few with good touch and technique is Gnahoua, but his stats for goals and assists is almost non existent. Think he has no goals and one assist in the league.

We have tightened up massively at the back, but come under constant pressure because we simply cannot keep hold of the ball for any sustained period. I do a little thing when watching Town. I count how many touches we have before losing it, or going out of play, and it stops at four or less with alarming regularity. Gav gives up possession too many times and he just ambles back like he has all the time in the world. He's missed many glorious opportunities too, and for me is a top end Non League, lower end League 2 player, which is where we are at, so we need better to get up the league.

DA keeps saying that the next step of the progression is to control games better, but I'm afraid it isn't going to happen with this lot, Thompson apart. We are also painfully slow in there to boot and I feel we need a much better standard of player in there if we are to progress. I wouldn't lose sleep over any of them being shown the door in the summer. Thompson is of the standard, and Clifton purely for his work rate and versatility is a keeper, but the others can all go for me. Ainley being an unknown quantity at this stage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 90
Heisenberg
March 18, 2024, 4:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from ginnywings
The problem with our midfield, and that goes for all of them, is ball retention and passing accuracy. We are consistently around late 50's, early 60's percentage wise, and it just isn't good enough to control games of football. Some of them can't even control the ball a lot of the time, and the second touch is a tackle. One of the few with good touch and technique is Gnahoua, but his stats for goals and assists is almost non existent. Think he has no goals and one assist in the league.

We have tightened up massively at the back, but come under constant pressure because we simply cannot keep hold of the ball for any sustained period. I do a little thing when watching Town. I count how many touches we have before losing it, or going out of play, and it stops at four or less with alarming regularity. Gav gives up possession too many times and he just ambles back like he has all the time in the world. He's missed many glorious opportunities too, and for me is a top end Non League, lower end League 2 player, which is where we are at, so we need better to get up the league.

DA keeps saying that the next step of the progression is to control games better, but I'm afraid it isn't going to happen with this lot, Thompson apart. We are also painfully slow in there to boot and I feel we need a much better standard of player in there if we are to progress. I wouldn't lose sleep over any of them being shown the door in the summer. Thompson is of the standard, and Clifton purely for his work rate and versatility is a keeper, but the others can all go for me. Ainley being an unknown quantity at this stage.

Hunt and Khouri are under contract - to say they need to step up is an understatement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 90
Mappers
March 18, 2024, 5:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,329
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Heisenberg

Hunt and Khouri are under contract - to say they need to step up is an understatement.

I'm not sure on Green aswell , sure there is an option on his contract - interesting whether it's in the clubs or Green's favour (eg Amos).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 90
toontown
March 18, 2024, 7:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Mappers

Orsi was under contract , but we let him go for game time and to be closer south - all very admirable from a personable point of view but in hindsight made us weaker ; exactly the same could have happened with Wilson barring the paperwork mix up and on current form he will play a  role in securing our league status . We obviously care about the person aswell as the player which is all well and good but we need to strike a balance between detriment to the team and making people happy .

Yeah I don't set much store at all by the claims of managers that they made such and such decision to not keep or not re-sign a player because they were thinking of him. I think that that stuff is usually guff for the sake of placating fans or to be polite about a player you don't currently want/need (but may do at another club in years to come).

But even if you set that opinion aside and believe what Artell said about letting Wilson walk from his contract here then it's still a poor decision, he's employed to look after GTFCs interest not Wilsons. If it's not going to negatively effect us then sure you can let him walk away from a contract but we're in the middle of a desperate relegation battle and we only have 3 first team strikers (I'm not counting Pyke cos he's a wide player and a striker in an emergency only) of which he is one and the second top scorer of them to boot.

Letting him go would have left us dangerously short and without any pace up front as a sub option. All amply demonstrated within weeks when he is forcing his way into a 2 man forward line up when we changed from Artell's favoured 4 3 3 formation as we stare into the abyss. Further demonstrated when rose is injured and we need wilson to start games (not to mention obikwu was going away on international duty and not even being available for some of that time). It was a dreadful decision which he and we were incredibly lucky didn't materialise due to paperwork bungles. Certainly doesn't fill me with confidence in his judgement on that score anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 90
rancido
March 18, 2024, 7:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from toontown

Yeah I don't set much store at all by the claims of managers that they made such and such decision to not keep or not re-sign a player because they were thinking of him. I think that that stuff is usually guff for the sake of placating fans or to be polite about a player you don't currently want/need (but may do at another club in years to come).

But even if you set that opinion aside and believe what Artell said about letting Wilson walk from his contract here then it's still a poor decision, he's employed to look after GTFCs interest not Wilsons. If it's not going to negatively effect us then sure you can let him walk away from a contract but we're in the middle of a desperate relegation battle and we only have 3 first team strikers (I'm not counting Pyke cos he's a wide player and a striker in an emergency only) of which he is one and the second top scorer of them to boot.

Letting him go would have left us dangerously short and without any pace up front as a sub option. All amply demonstrated within weeks when he is forcing his way into a 2 man forward line up when we changed from Artell's favoured 4 3 3 formation as we stare into the abyss. Further demonstrated when rose is injured and we need wilson to start games (not to mention obikwu was going away on international duty and not even being available for some of that time). It was a dreadful decision which he and we were incredibly lucky didn't materialise due to paperwork bungles. Certainly doesn't fill me with confidence in his judgement on that score anyway.

So you think keeping a player to his contract even though he wants to leave is a good thing and also good for the club?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 90
toontown
March 18, 2024, 7:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from rancido

So you think keeping a player to his contract even though he wants to leave is a good thing and also good for the club?

Well that's what has happened - and it's a good thing too as proven in the last few weeks!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 90
pontoonlew
March 18, 2024, 8:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
I personally think Green has improved massively from a technical perspective since Artell came in, he’s starting to resemble a footballer when the ball is at his feet. Despite looking about 45, he’s still only 26 so I think there’s still some improvement to be had there, but I do feel it’s starting to click a bit for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 90
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.