7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
May 17, 2023, 6:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Toney has been found guilty of betting and has been given an EIGHT MONTH ban. Seems excessive to me, he didn't try to fix games but just have a bet on games that he couldn't have influenced.
Big fines yes, and a suspended sentence so if he does it again he gets banned, and help with his addiction would have been a better way of approaching this. Brentford are the big losers for something beyond their control.

Logged Online
Private Message
LocalLadGTFC
May 17, 2023, 6:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 137
Given that Luis Suarez was banned 8 months for racism makes it seem very excessive.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 61
aldi_01
May 17, 2023, 6:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Given that Luis Suarez was banned 8 months for racism makes it seem very excessive.

Or you look at it the other way and say Suarez’ ban was lenient…

Toney received a punishment he deserved I guess, regardless of him not betting on things he can influence, the rules are pretty clear. Didn’t Bradley Wood get a similar ban?

I’d like to think Toney is also getting access to the correct support to help him move on from what is clearly a problem for him.

There’s a wider debate that continues to rumble on about football and betting but if you out your human hat on, it’s quite sad really, a no doubt talented lad that I have no doubt would’ve been in the england squad for a World Cup and possibly other tournaments has likely seen that chance in the short term disappear, sad really…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 61
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 17, 2023, 6:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Footballers are expressly told that they can't bet on football matches. He's been found guilty of 232 breaches over a 4 year period.

Maybe he's being made an example of because the FA can afford to ban a player from Brentford. If he played for Liverpool, Man U or Man City it might be altogether different.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 61
May 17, 2023, 6:56pm
Guest User
I knew it was coming but hoped it might be much less severe.

The only crumb of comfort is that Brentford have always managed to replace players that have moved on, especially goalscorers. Toney is immensely talented though and offers much more than goals.

He may well have moved on had he not had the ban hanging over him and Brentford will still be a selling club despite their PL status as David Raya's imminent move demonstrates.

Fingers crossed.

I'll be running two STs again for 2023-24.

UTM and COYB
Reply: 4 - 61
jamesgtfc
May 17, 2023, 7:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from aldi_01

Or you look at it the other way and say Suarez’ ban was lenient…

Toney received a punishment he deserved I guess, regardless of him not betting on things he can influence, the rules are pretty clear. Didn’t Bradley Wood get a similar ban?

I’d like to think Toney is also getting access to the correct support to help him move on from what is clearly a problem for him.

There’s a wider debate that continues to rumble on about football and betting but if you out your human hat on, it’s quite sad really, a no doubt talented lad that I have no doubt would’ve been in the england squad for a World Cup and possibly other tournaments has likely seen that chance in the short term disappear, sad really…

Bradley Wood got 6 years in 2018! His was blatant match fixing that included one of his mates placing a very large bet on him to get booked with William Hill.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 61
aldi_01
May 17, 2023, 7:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Bradley Wood got 6 years in 2018! His was blatant match fixing that included one of his mates placing a very large bet on him to get booked with William Hill.

Then I’d argue that Toney’s over 200 breaches is lenient…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 61
jamesgtfc
May 17, 2023, 7:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from aldi_01

Then I’d argue that Toney’s over 200 breaches is lenient…

Depends on the breach? He's placed an average of 1.25 bets per week for 4 years, and there isn't any detail on the bets, but it clearly wasn't match-fixing.

Lincoln did extremely well out of Bradley Wood getting booked that night; Ipswich took a terrible free kick in the last minute, Lincoln went up the other end and Nathan Arnold rounded the keeper to send them through. Without that intent to get booked and earn his mates a few quid, who knows what would have happened?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 61
GrimRob
May 17, 2023, 7:22pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,449
Gold Stars: 114
Restraint of trade if it's in matches he has no influence in.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 61
mimma
May 17, 2023, 7:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
By banning him from football, they have given him a long time with nothing to do with a excrement load of money. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for punishing wrong doing, but he needs help with his addiction, and this isn't it. In this case, a suspended ban would have done the trick, since if he gets caught again, then yes ban him for 8 months.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 61
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ivan Toney

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.