7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
mimma
May 17, 2023, 6:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Toney has been found guilty of betting and has been given an EIGHT MONTH ban. Seems excessive to me, he didn't try to fix games but just have a bet on games that he couldn't have influenced.
Big fines yes, and a suspended sentence so if he does it again he gets banned, and help with his addiction would have been a better way of approaching this. Brentford are the big losers for something beyond their control.

Logged Offline
Private Message
LocalLadGTFC
May 17, 2023, 6:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 138
Given that Luis Suarez was banned 8 months for racism makes it seem very excessive.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 61
aldi_01
May 17, 2023, 6:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Given that Luis Suarez was banned 8 months for racism makes it seem very excessive.

Or you look at it the other way and say Suarez’ ban was lenient…

Toney received a punishment he deserved I guess, regardless of him not betting on things he can influence, the rules are pretty clear. Didn’t Bradley Wood get a similar ban?

I’d like to think Toney is also getting access to the correct support to help him move on from what is clearly a problem for him.

There’s a wider debate that continues to rumble on about football and betting but if you out your human hat on, it’s quite sad really, a no doubt talented lad that I have no doubt would’ve been in the england squad for a World Cup and possibly other tournaments has likely seen that chance in the short term disappear, sad really…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 61
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 17, 2023, 6:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Footballers are expressly told that they can't bet on football matches. He's been found guilty of 232 breaches over a 4 year period.

Maybe he's being made an example of because the FA can afford to ban a player from Brentford. If he played for Liverpool, Man U or Man City it might be altogether different.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 61
May 17, 2023, 6:56pm
Guest User
I knew it was coming but hoped it might be much less severe.

The only crumb of comfort is that Brentford have always managed to replace players that have moved on, especially goalscorers. Toney is immensely talented though and offers much more than goals.

He may well have moved on had he not had the ban hanging over him and Brentford will still be a selling club despite their PL status as David Raya's imminent move demonstrates.

Fingers crossed.

I'll be running two STs again for 2023-24.

UTM and COYB
Reply: 4 - 61
jamesgtfc
May 17, 2023, 7:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from aldi_01

Or you look at it the other way and say Suarez’ ban was lenient…

Toney received a punishment he deserved I guess, regardless of him not betting on things he can influence, the rules are pretty clear. Didn’t Bradley Wood get a similar ban?

I’d like to think Toney is also getting access to the correct support to help him move on from what is clearly a problem for him.

There’s a wider debate that continues to rumble on about football and betting but if you out your human hat on, it’s quite sad really, a no doubt talented lad that I have no doubt would’ve been in the england squad for a World Cup and possibly other tournaments has likely seen that chance in the short term disappear, sad really…

Bradley Wood got 6 years in 2018! His was blatant match fixing that included one of his mates placing a very large bet on him to get booked with William Hill.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 61
aldi_01
May 17, 2023, 7:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Bradley Wood got 6 years in 2018! His was blatant match fixing that included one of his mates placing a very large bet on him to get booked with William Hill.

Then I’d argue that Toney’s over 200 breaches is lenient…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 61
jamesgtfc
May 17, 2023, 7:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Then I’d argue that Toney’s over 200 breaches is lenient…

Depends on the breach? He's placed an average of 1.25 bets per week for 4 years, and there isn't any detail on the bets, but it clearly wasn't match-fixing.

Lincoln did extremely well out of Bradley Wood getting booked that night; Ipswich took a terrible free kick in the last minute, Lincoln went up the other end and Nathan Arnold rounded the keeper to send them through. Without that intent to get booked and earn his mates a few quid, who knows what would have happened?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 61
GrimRob
May 17, 2023, 7:22pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 114
Restraint of trade if it's in matches he has no influence in.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 61
mimma
May 17, 2023, 7:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
By banning him from football, they have given him a long time with nothing to do with a excrement load of money. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for punishing wrong doing, but he needs help with his addiction, and this isn't it. In this case, a suspended ban would have done the trick, since if he gets caught again, then yes ban him for 8 months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 61
Abdul19
May 17, 2023, 7:58pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 219
Is he addicted? Might've been 232 £1 accumulators on Brazilian Serie B and the Zambian Premier League.

As the report's not been released yet I've no idea if it's lenient or not.

(He was on loan at Scunthorpe during this period so was possibly just bored)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 61
golfer
May 17, 2023, 8:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
The bets were actually 10p Round Robins and if they had all come up he would have won £4 - 27p.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 61
moosey_club
May 17, 2023, 8:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Abdul19
Is he addicted? Might've been 232 £1 accumulators on Brazilian Serie B and the Zambian Premier League.

As the report's not been released yet I've no idea if it's lenient or not.

(He was on loan at Scunthorpe during this period so was possibly just bored)

If this included his time at Scunny then given Swann has massive gambling issues maybe he picked up the habit there ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 61
Abdul19
May 17, 2023, 11:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Him and Swann were often seen together so could be some truth in that. I bumped into both of them at a grime night at Henry Afrikas.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 61
OddShapedBalls
May 18, 2023, 9:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Personally I think it's excessive, however firstly you have to bear in mind if they are lenient it doesn't act as much of a deterrent and they have already been lenient by starting it now when Brentford are safe and 3 months will be eaten up with pre-season so it's only a 5 month ban really and he can train with his club for the last 4 months.

Compare it to Rob Howley's ban for betting being 18 months suspension from rugby and it is pretty lenient really

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/rob-howley-betting-scandal-suspension-17427375
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 61
diehardmariner
May 18, 2023, 10:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Excessive ban for what I presume is naive stupidity rather than intent to benefit from intelligence/ability to influence the outcome.

Don't personally think any of the footballing authorities are in a position to issue any bans, nor guidance, on betting when they continue to allow betting companies to sponsor teams and competitions.  

Convenient that this hard-line approach comes at the time when the authorities have received criticism for not doing enough with their recent moves towards removing shirt sponsorship by betting companies.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 61
GollyGTFC
May 18, 2023, 10:28am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,058
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It’s called Spot Fixing. Match fixing is deliberately influencing the result of the match as is a much more serious offence. As you said he got himself booked deliberately.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 61
jamesgtfc
May 18, 2023, 10:39am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

It’s called Spot Fixing. Match fixing is deliberately influencing the result of the match as is a much more serious offence. As you said he got himself booked deliberately.

The consequence of him getting booked though was that Ipswich took a terrible free kick and Lincoln went down the other end on the counter attack to win the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 61
May 18, 2023, 10:43am
Guest User
I'm inclined to think Toney needs help rather than punishment.

It's not as though he needed to show a profit from the gambling - he was looking at a footballing future which would make him a
multi-millionaire by the time he retired.

I find it impossible to understand, unless there's a gene in his DNA which predisposes him to gamble.
(I've read that there's a gene which determines whether or not a person is liable to commit crime, but the above is just a guess.)
Reply: 18 - 61
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 18, 2023, 10:50am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from 137

It's not as though he needed to show a profit from the gambling - he was looking at a footballing future which would make him a

I find it impossible to understand, unless there's a gene in his DNA which predisposes him to gamble.
(I've read that there's a gene which determines whether or not a person is liable to commit crime, but the above is just a guess.)

Have you ever seen him interviewed? He's not the brightest.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 61
grimsby pete
May 18, 2023, 10:50am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
I don't think Toney is addicted if he only had  1-25 bets a week. Surely he would have been at the bookies every day of he had an addiction..

8 months seems a bit harsh to the offence but the FA are stamping down on it to put other players off I suppose.A bit of help  and support with a suspended sentence would have been a fairer way to go in my opinion.

NAME SHAME

In the 60-s 3 Sheffield Wed players were banned for life but they Were betting their team losing so deserved everything they got.
Peter Swan. Tony Kay and Bronco Layne.  All good players but very stupid.  Swan and Kay had played for England.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 61
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 18, 2023, 10:54am
Champagne Drinker
A couple of people have mentioned his addiction to gambling - 1.25 bets per week over a 4 year period is hardly an uncontrollable addiction.

I have granola for breakfast nearly every morning so my granola habit is around 5 times worse that Toney's gambling issues.

The charges only refer to football bets, I accept he could have been betting on other things.

And for the record, I can stop eating granola any time I choose.....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 61
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 18, 2023, 10:55am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
I don't think Toney is addicted if he only had  1-25 bets a week. Surely he would have been at the bookies every day of he had an addiction..

8 months seems a bit harsh to the offence but the FA are stamping down on it to put other players off I suppose.A bit of help  and support with a suspended sentence would have been a fairer way to go in my opinion.

NAME SHAME

In the 60-s 3 Sheffield Wed players were banned for life but they Were betting their team losing so deserved everything they got.
Peter Swan. Tony Kay and Bronco Layne.  All good players but very stupid.  Swan and Kay had played for England.

PETER SWAN! Now it all makes sense....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 61
Maringer
May 18, 2023, 11:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
If I was earning millions of pounds a year playing football and was aware that I might get banned for a substantial amount of time if I bet on football (and therefore, no doubt, lose a lot of his salary), I think I'd make the considered decision not to bet on football.

You can bet on racehorses, greyhounds and practically anything else you can imagine if you really feel the urge, but football? Nope.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 61
grimsby pete
May 18, 2023, 11:10am

Exile
Quoted from Maringer
If I was earning millions of pounds a year playing football and was aware that I might get banned for a substantial amount of time if I bet on football (and therefore, no doubt, lose a lot of his salary), I think I'd make the considered decision not to bet on football.

You can bet on racehorses, greyhounds and practically anything else you can imagine if you really feel the urge, but football? Nope.

If you did bet on football and chose GRIMSBY to win you would lose.

If you chose GRIMSBY to lose you would also lose.

That's because we have that annoying habit of losing when you think we would win and winning when you think we would lose.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 61
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 18, 2023, 11:11am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Please refer to my earlier post re Ivan Toney.

Thick as mince.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 61
GollyGTFC
May 18, 2023, 11:12am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 137

Any addiction is serious. Speculating on whether Toney has a gambling problem is pointless.

Me and Grantham Mariner both have a £5 bet each on every GTFC match & split the winnings between us. It’s a bit of fun and in monetary terms over a year is the same as playing Euromillions on Tuesday & Friday every week.

I know I’m not addicted to gambling and I’m pretty certain my dad isn’t either. Luke Waterfall’s goals in 2021/22 helped us make a small profit heading into the playoffs and having used some small wins and refunds from voided bets to put money on us getting promoted at odds of up to 20/1 when we were doing poorly over winter won us £530 which more or less paid for our STs last summer (£340+£225=£565 - 5% MT discount = £536.75.)

There’s nothing wrong with gambling, but there is a problem with how in bed football is with the industry. The EFL shouldn’t have a title sponsor of a gambling company. There should be zero gambling company sponsors on team kit. There should be zero advertising boards for gambling companies. And TV advertising should be restricted to after the watershed.

Anyway Toney, as a professional footballer, isn’t banned from gambling. He’s banned from gambling on football. So even if he was addicted there are plenty of other sports he could gamble on without a problem. But he gambled on football and there has to be a significant deterrent in the punishment he receives.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 61
OddShapedBalls
May 18, 2023, 2:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from 137

That's a bit....national socialist..isn't it?  Or is there genuinely a crime gene? I'm gonna google it for several hours and find out now lol

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 61
Les Brechin
May 18, 2023, 3:29pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,721
Gold Stars: 174
I have a bet every week during the football season. I do a £2 accumulator on 6 homes that have to be evens or better, so if you get it up you are guaranteed £128 but usually it's a lot more than that if your selections are say 5/4 or 11/8 etc. As there are only about 35 weeks in a football season you only need to get it up once to be in profit. I never include Town in my bet though.

I've been doing it for about 7 or 8 years now and only once have I not not won at least once. I got it up once this season winning just over £300.

I can stop anytime I like though.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 61
GollyGTFC
May 18, 2023, 3:36pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin
I have a bet every week during the football season. I do a £2 accumulator on 6 homes that have to be evens or better, so if you get it up you are guaranteed £128 but usually it's a lot more than that if your selections are say 5/4 or 11/8 etc. As there are only about 35 weeks in a football season you only need to get it up once to be in profit. I never include Town in my bet though.

I've been doing it for about 7 or 8 years now and only once have I not not won at least once. I got it up once this season winning just over £300.

I can stop anytime I like though.  

How many times did you get it up this season? I hope it didn’t happen when Mrs Brechin had a headache.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 61
GollyGTFC
May 18, 2023, 3:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

That's a bit....national socialist..isn't it?  Or is there genuinely a crime gene? I'm gonna google it for several hours and find out now lol

It does sound a bit like he’s been reading Galton’s theory on Eugenics.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 61
May 18, 2023, 4:34pm
Guest User
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

Quoted from GollyGTFC

It does sound a bit like he’s been reading Galton’s theory on Eugenics.

Non-football, but here's a few links:

https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-library/abstracts/genetic-factors-and-criminal-behavior

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20180530-the-controversial-debut-of-genes-in-criminal-cases

https://bsj.berkeley.edu/born-to-kill-the-story-of-serial-killer-genes/

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29760212

Reply: 31 - 61
Les Brechin
May 18, 2023, 4:41pm

Quoted from GollyGTFC

How many times did you get it up this season? I hope it didn’t happen when Mrs Brechin had a headache.

There is no Mrs Brechin! Apart from my 93-year old mum that is.  

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 61
Meza
May 18, 2023, 4:47pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,649
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I'll was hoping Bradley would have told me the truth to this but there is always that small element of not wanting to embarrass himself but says he had nothing to do with that you cant control your friends if they want to place bets on you.  

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 61
moosey_club
May 18, 2023, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from grimsby pete

NAME SHAME

Swan , and his family, ran a pub in the suburbs of Chesterfield in later life, have used it last few times we have played them, alot of his  memorabilia on the walls and he used to sit in the corner of the bar supping a pint , sadly suffering from i think dementia.
Knew nothing of his story until I went in there. Was hotly tipped to take over or rival Gordon Banks for no.1 spot.

Believe he died a couple of years ago.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 61
Wedidntdidwe
May 18, 2023, 11:11pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +379
Gold Stars: 22
If only Swann had put his bets on Scunny losing every week he'd be laughing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 61
OddShapedBalls
May 19, 2023, 10:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 61
malkamalka
May 19, 2023, 12:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +150
Gold Stars: 17
If you are a massive football club, owned by a nation state and continuously break the FFP rules, you just pay a bit of a fine and carry on.

If you are a footballer, with obvious mental health issues and you break the rules, you get fined and banned from attending your football club for eight months - taking away the one support group that has pledged to stand by you.

Given the amount of betting sponsorship in the game in this country, are the FA simply blaming errant players rather than looking at the deep rooted, gambling culture, that they condone, and no doubt, support.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 61
malkamalka
May 19, 2023, 12:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +150
Gold Stars: 17
You obviously don't understand the facts about addiction!

Quoted from Maringer

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 61
jamesgtfc
May 19, 2023, 12:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from malkamalka
If you are a massive football club, owned by a nation state and continuously break the FFP rules, you just pay a bit of a fine and carry on.

If you are a footballer, with obvious mental health issues and you break the rules, you get fined and banned from attending your football club for eight months - taking away the one support group that has pledged to stand by you.

Given the amount of betting sponsorship in the game in this country, are the FA simply blaming errant players rather than looking at the deep rooted, gambling culture, that they condone, and no doubt, support.

When Jay Rollins at Boston got banned, he was out with an ACL injury (or similar) that he sustained in the pre-season game against us. He wasn't even allowed to have the club take care of his rehab whilst he was banned, and had to sort it all out privately himself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 61
HerveJosse
May 23, 2023, 10:10am
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
A couple of people have mentioned his addiction to gambling - 1.25 bets per week over a 4 year period is hardly an uncontrollable addiction.

I have granola for breakfast nearly every morning so my granola habit is around 5 times worse that Toney's gambling issues.

The charges only refer to football bets, I accept he could have been betting on other things.

And for the record, I can stop eating granola any time I choose.....

Are you sure I tried coming off the Oatibix and couldn’t hack it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
Maringer
May 26, 2023, 2:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
More details about his betting:

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....iction-ban-brentford

Sounds as though he is lucky the ban isn't longer! Gambling addiction diagnosed and taken into account with the sentencing, apparently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
Abdul19
May 26, 2023, 2:41pm

Season Ticket Holder
Tbf he probably forgot he played for Newcastle.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
Les Brechin
May 26, 2023, 3:01pm

Quoted from Abdul19
Tbf he probably forgot he played for Newcastle.

I hope he forgot that he played for Scunny!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
grimsby pete
May 26, 2023, 3:03pm

Exile
Betting his own team to lose !!!!!

How could he. ?

Deserves his ban and a bit more.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
jaygy
May 26, 2023, 3:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from grimsby pete
Betting his own team to lose !!!!!

How could he. ?

Deserves his ban and a bit more.

In hindsight it's a pretty good bet and shows confidence in his own abilities if he was out injured 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
TownSNAFU5
May 26, 2023, 4:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Toney got a reduced ban because he got his  (or a) psychiatrist to give testimony on his behalf.  He said Toney had admitted his addiction and was seeking professional help.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
aldi_01
May 26, 2023, 5:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I’m glad he admitted his addiction and I’m glad that was taken into consideration but all those that suggested it was harsh and that he hadn’t bet on his moan team now look a bit silly…

The really sad thing in all this is that a bloke who clearly has a talent will now be remembered for this, for the rest of his life probably…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
TwoLeftFeet
May 26, 2023, 5:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Maybe I'm the minority but feel his sentence is harsh he never played in any of the matches he bet on.. he's admitted he has a problem and hopefully he can now get the help he needs..

The bigger problem for me is the EFL, FA all accepting large amounts of cash to promote gambling all the shirt sponsorship that seems to be the norm.. Will be surprised if Toney is the only player falling foul of the laws.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
BrMarin
May 26, 2023, 5:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +95
Gold Stars: 8
It will be forgotten when he comes back. Like with Trippier
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
HertsGTFC
May 26, 2023, 6:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,996
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from aldi_01
I’m glad he admitted his addiction and I’m glad that was taken into consideration but all those that suggested it was harsh and that he hadn’t bet on his moan team now look a bit silly…

The really sad thing in all this is that a bloke who clearly has a talent will now be remembered for this, for the rest of his life probably…

This in flipping spades!!!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 61
Mappers
May 26, 2023, 6:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,481
Gold Stars: 119
I wonder if any of these players who have gambling problems have topped out Peter Swanns 20 million quid loss at the bookies? .
Bonkers , and it's actively encouraged - gambling is like any addiction for me, although not physical I can see how you could 'get a taste ' for it - not my thing as i'm tight and would rather put a few quid in a jar than chase the dream .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 61
fishcake63
May 26, 2023, 7:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
it's all most the worse addiction because it's essentially the easiest one to hide , drug addicts alcholics are usually easily picked out , the thing is the online & betting shop bookies will never stop a problem gambler chasing his losses no matter what they say , for me it needs to be spoke about in schools , it opens old wounds for me my old man was a gambling addict back in the day when i was a child
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 61
HertsGTFC
May 26, 2023, 9:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from fishcake63
it's all most the worse addiction because it's essentially the easiest one to hide , drug addicts alcholics are usually easily picked out , the thing is the online & betting shop bookies will never stop a problem gambler chasing his losses no matter what they say , for me it needs to be spoke about in schools , it opens old wounds for me my old man was a gambling addict back in the day when i was a child

So I used to work with a lad, I recruited him he came across well n two interviews & had good references.

He worked hard but I always felt he was a bit difficult to get to know, not shy or reserved but just something.

I found out what it was when his Mrs turned up at work one Saturday morning to say he’s been sent to prison for knocking telly’s out of the back door at Tesco

Why? He had a gambling addiction that meant he’d lost his previous wife, house, kids and what I later got to understand his self esteem.

Addictions are not diseases they are conditions so difficult to cure, in fact they truly can’t be cured & have to be managed daily forever.

I’m not a spiteful person but the disregard I have for betting and betting in sport puts me in that space not towards the people who punt but the people who make millions from the misery of the whole scenario.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 61
Mappers
May 26, 2023, 9:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

So I used to work with a lad, I recruited him he came across well n two interviews & had good references.

He worked hard but I always felt he was a bit difficult to get to know, not shy or reserved but just something.

I found out what it was when his Mrs turned up at work one Saturday morning to say he’s been sent to prison for knocking telly’s out of the back door at Tesco

Why? He had a gambling addiction that meant he’d lost his previous wife, house, kids and what I later got to understand his self esteem.

Addictions are not diseases they are conditions so difficult to cure, in fact they truly can’t be cured & have to be managed daily forever.

I’m not a spiteful person but the disregard I have for betting and betting in sport puts me in that space not towards the people who punt but the people who make millions from the misery of the whole scenario.

Great post and I bet many have either been in that position ,or know of someone similiar. Let's face it we all have our vices and I bet if a good few started to have a dabble they would end up in Toneys position , probably worse ; he can make another 50k next week or whatever .

The best thing that could come out of it would be Toney getting rehab and actively going against gambling.

But mainstream media will still promote the fu*k out of the apps etc while then putting a small 'gamble aware ' at the end .

It's the equivalent of when they promoted cigs back in the day all over the place , with the small warning at the end that you could barely see.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 61
CSLM
May 27, 2023, 12:32am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Mappers
I wonder if any of these players who have gambling problems have topped out Peter Swanns 20 million quid loss at the bookies? .
Bonkers , and it's actively encouraged - gambling is like any addiction for me, although not physical I can see how you could 'get a taste ' for it - not my thing as i'm tight and would rather put a few quid in a jar than chase the dream .

The actual amount of money doesn't really mean anything mate.
What is important is how much the individual needs that money or how much of a problem the debt will be.

Gambling addiction has many forms and I agree with fishcake that is different to drugs or alcohol because it is much easier to hide, though not forever.

The statistics for the number of addicts in this country, and I guess everywhere else, are an absolute joke. It is incredible how it has been allowed to become so mainstream. Saying that we can have a decent punt at why it has been allowed to do so but I don't think it will be that long until things have to change socially.

As for Toney I'm not really sure where I stand. I hope he isn't an addict but if he is I hope that he manages to get the help that he needs to move on with his career/life.
The news today about betting against his contracted employer looks pretty awful and does present many questions though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 61
aldi_01
May 27, 2023, 7:11am

Barley Wine Drinker
It’s not helped by the language used…

I hear ‘that goal cost me 3 grand’ or whatever countless times in a pub or at the match in the season…

It didn’t cost them 3 grand though, not unless that’s how much they bet, it cost them the price of then stake but it’s not seen as that.

Gambling has never appealed to me but I do see why people do it, but as you say, it’s the silent, almost invisible addiction. Ya never see a bookie throw anyone out and all those nonsense ‘bet responsibly’ and ‘set betting limits’ is just guff…asking an addict to set a limit is like asking a dog to excrement in a toilet…it’s not happening…

I once stood with 4 lads in the boozer one Sunday, tail end of the season, they calculated between them that they’d some about £30-35k over the season…they were buzzing, like patting themselves on the back etc…I lent in and asked them how much they’d all staked across the season…they worked it out…£28500 there are there abouts…they weren’t patting each other on the back so much after that, but they still couldn’t see that they’d made very little in comparison to the money laid out…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 61
dapperz fun pub
May 27, 2023, 7:40am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
I hate gambling id ban all the apps on the phone and limit bets in person at the bookies to say a fiver tops. That Coates woman CEO of bet 365 is the highest paid boss in the uk, that tells you everything. I worked with a bloke who would spin a casino wheel on his break at work I might add not a real casino a digital one and lose a days pay before 10am. It’s not the complete answer but make it harder to place bets would help
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 61
supertown
May 27, 2023, 7:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
It’s all about the person, like the ones that smoke . They can’t or won’t stop even though they know it’s killing them .
I like a bet (on golf) it makes it more interesting to watch, I spend about £20 a week which is well within my budget and when I win it obviously costs me nothing , but if I win a couple of hundred I will then spend a bit more . Imagine that with a few more 0s on the end for these high earners .
My gambling is not an addiction it’s a form of entertainment, people who bet on the toss of a coin etc have a gambling addiction and need help
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 61
Mappers
May 27, 2023, 9:45am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from CSLM

The actual amount of money doesn't really mean anything mate.
What is important is how much the individual needs that money or how much of a problem the debt will be.

Gambling addiction has many forms and I agree with fishcake that is different to drugs or alcohol because it is much easier to hide, though not forever.

The statistics for the number of addicts in this country, and I guess everywhere else, are an absolute joke. It is incredible how it has been allowed to become so mainstream. Saying that we can have a decent punt at why it has been allowed to do so but I don't think it will be that long until things have to change socially.

As for Toney I'm not really sure where I stand. I hope he isn't an addict but if he is I hope that he manages to get the help that he needs to move on with his career/life.
The news today about betting against his contracted employer looks pretty awful and does present many questions though.

I agree mate the amount does not matter it's more how it can effect people and those around them's lives .

I think another issue is that cash you don't have is so readily available -I am always getting mail through begging me to get a credit card , so I could see people 'having a go' with no cash in the bank .

If you win you chase more , if you lose you try and recoup I guess if you are an addict + maybe the buzz?

Whether Toney is an addict or not is irrelevant really i guess , if it highlights the problem more and makes positive change .

Can anyone actually see that though?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 61
HertsGTFC
May 27, 2023, 9:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Go to the races 3 windows for paying in one for paying out, all you need to know.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 61
DB
May 27, 2023, 10:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.42
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Go to the races 3 windows for paying in one for paying out, all you need to know.

On a similar vein, you have 1 horse running for you and the bookie has the rest.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 61
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ivan Toney

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.