Chrisblor
May 7, 2023, 12:13pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,960
Gold Stars: 239
If nobody wants to watch lower league football why have BT Sport been televising National League football for the last 10 years? Sorry but I don't buy the argument that nobody would bother watching it - it's clearly viable otherwise BT wouldn't be sending a presenter, two pundits, commentators and multiple camera operators off to Woking / Chesterfield / Solihull etc practically every week.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 74
Mappers
May 7, 2023, 12:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,474
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from aldi_01

But they’re not wrong really are they? Aside from fat yanks in Arkansas and a few not real football fans that saw a documentary about Salford, nobody does want to watch league 2 football.

You kgint pick the odd football nerd but but in truth, the championship clubs aren’t wrong.

Someone mentioned about cheaper ticket prices to fill grounds…nice idea but won’t happen. Premier attendances are some of the most consistent in Europe and are full every week so no worry there, although in Spain they do have to fill the stands visible to the camera.

I know it’s cool for lower league fans to hate the premier league etc but whatever anyones opinion, they’ve built a huge brand that sees sellouts even for non entity games…

I must be a nerd then ,i have preferred lower league and non league for about 10 years - been to a good few Premiership games as a neutral and it just does not do it for me .

I honestly had a better time at Weymouth than i than I have had at any of those souless glory seeking places , i just enjoy that it's more real i think .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 74
Yarborough Vaults
May 7, 2023, 1:05pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Wouldn't discount viewing figures from Asia either because of gambling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 74
HerveJosse
May 7, 2023, 1:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Chrisblor
If nobody wants to watch lower league football why have BT Sport been televising National League football for the last 10 years? Sorry but I don't buy the argument that nobody would bother watching it - it's clearly viable otherwise BT wouldn't be sending a presenter, two pundits, commentators and multiple camera operators off to Woking / Chesterfield / Solihull etc practically every week.

Because they get the whole package including fees to clubs for games covered for peanuts less then. £0.5m a season compared to the £900m to be paid  by Sky for EFL. Presumambly because that is all it’s worth.
With BT sports now owned by WarnerBrothers/ Duscovery would be suprised if they continue coverage when the current deal expires . The National League is putting together it’s own streaming platform which is where all football will end up eventually
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 74
aldi_01
May 7, 2023, 2:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Chrisblor

It’s costs them mere pennies to buy the rights to conference football. They just use it as a marketing platform, didn’t we work out the GTFC essentially lost money by having a game moved last year? You get about £6.50 and some bottles of pop to be on the telly if you’re down there.

The cost is showing conference football is no doubt completely offset against the cash made from their investment in exclusive champions league rights alone…

No doubt people enjoy lower league football and I watch as much of that as anything else but let’s not kid ourselves that TV people see big numbers…I’d be interested to see the viewing figures for our playoff final, probably similar to our semi final I’d imagine but even with yanks and random bods in the far east betting on it, I can’t imagine it was 6 figures, if it was I’d be amazed if it’s anymore than 300k…

It’s great that lower league does get shown on TV but the money that cascades down isn’t millions and unlike the top two divisions that can make big use of tv money, I don’t think it’ll be adding too much to our kitty…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 74
pen penfras
May 7, 2023, 7:24pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from aldi_01

It’s costs them mere pennies to buy the rights to conference football. They just use it as a marketing platform, didn’t we work out the GTFC essentially lost money by having a game moved last year? You get about £6.50 and some bottles of pop to be on the telly if you’re down there.

The cost is showing conference football is no doubt completely offset against the cash made from their investment in exclusive champions league rights alone…

No doubt people enjoy lower league football and I watch as much of that as anything else but let’s not kid ourselves that TV people see big numbers…I’d be interested to see the viewing figures for our playoff final, probably similar to our semi final I’d imagine but even with yanks and random bods in the far east betting on it, I can’t imagine it was 6 figures, if it was I’d be amazed if it’s anymore than 300k…

It’s great that lower league does get shown on TV but the money that cascades down isn’t millions and unlike the top two divisions that can make big use of tv money, I don’t think it’ll be adding too much to our kitty…

300k is 6 figures. But I'd be amazed if it was even that high without Wrexham
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 74
aldi_01
May 7, 2023, 8:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from pen penfras

300k is 6 figures. But I'd be amazed if it was even that high without Wrexham

Exactly. That’s kinda my point, even with the media machine behind Reynolds FC you’d be hard pushed to hit 300k.

We all love our clubs and we all love lower league football but we need to take off the rose tinted goggles when looking at stuff like this.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 74
The Yard Dog
May 7, 2023, 9:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from GrimRob
It's going to make it harder for fans to watch games with lots of lunchtime kickoffs. As usual little thought has been given to the paying spectator. Away crowds are likely to drop and season ticket holders facing long journeys will have to make a decision. Likely to have an impact on games at BP. 8 camera angles will be much better than what we can now watch online. But without an atmosphere the games are not as enjoyable. Much better at BP with a big vocal away following.

How many big vocal away followings do we get? not many.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 74
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 8, 2023, 5:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,977
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from The Yard Dog

How many big vocal away followings do we get? not many.

Stockport, Bradford and Hartlepool are the ones that come to mind this season. The others I thought may have had decent followings , Donny and Swindon, I can’t remember so couldn’t have been that good

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 74
Heisenberg
May 8, 2023, 8:13am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Stockport, Bradford and Hartlepool are the ones that come to mind this season. The others I thought may have had decent followings , Donny and Swindon, I can’t remember so couldn’t have been that good

Donny sold out, but Swindon nowhere near.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New EFL/Sky deal

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.