jamesgtfc
May 4, 2023, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner
I don't think it's unfair to be honest.  It's no secret that we've missed out on the players we've really wanted consistently.  

At no point am I saying Hurst is sitting on his bottom just waiting for something to happen.  But I do think we're possibly reactive in the transfer market rather than proactive.  Vernam is just one example of us waiting and waiting on the first target, only to find that they say no and the second, third, fourth targets have all signed up with someone else.  There's an art to biding your time but there's also an art to calling teams bluff.  

It might be a case, using Vernam as the example, that Lincoln weren't prepared to let him go under any circumstances until they had the replacement through the door.  But I also wonder, perhaps unfairly here, what would have been the outcome had Hurst said 'look, we'll take him today but we won't tomorrow...your call'.  Equally so when Vernam was talking with us last summer, did we say 'contract comes off the table in 36 hours.  We're not waiting forever on you'.  To be honest I don't think we did.  Again, it's an art to calling someone's bluff.  But I know we were in talks with Vernam for well over a week before he got his head turned by Lincoln.

Regards the Scully/Hackett-Fairchild point - no argument from me here, Golly sums it up that we're both likely right and that chain (as you point out too) is complicated by many factors.  It's a tough one but unless we look to disrupt that chain ourselves and try and jump ahead of that natural pecking order, we're always likely to end up with players that aren't our first choices.

Window after window we've waited for everything to fall into place, to my knowledge that hasn't worked.  Worst thing we can do is try something different and a bit bolder.

It's that fine balance between being too ruthless and too compassionate. If you have an abundance of high quality options, you can afford to be very ruthless but for a variety of factors, I think we have had to play the long game and not draw a line in the sand because then you look even more of a prat if you're still looking and they do become available.

Hopefully this summer, with time on our side and a Head of Recruitment settled in, we can be a bit more ruthless, and get some good business done early.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 112
May 4, 2023, 1:30pm
Guest User
Quoted from diehardmariner
I don't think it's unfair to be honest.  It's no secret that we've missed out on the players we've really wanted consistently.  

At no point am I saying Hurst is sitting on his bottom just waiting for something to happen.  But I do think we're possibly reactive in the transfer market rather than proactive.  Vernam is just one example of us waiting and waiting on the first target, only to find that they say no and the second, third, fourth targets have all signed up with someone else.  There's an art to biding your time but there's also an art to calling teams bluff.  

It might be a case, using Vernam as the example, that Lincoln weren't prepared to let him go under any circumstances until they had the replacement through the door.  But I also wonder, perhaps unfairly here, what would have been the outcome had Hurst said 'look, we'll take him today but we won't tomorrow...your call'.  Equally so when Vernam was talking with us last summer, did we say 'contract comes off the table in 36 hours.  We're not waiting forever on you'.  To be honest I don't think we did.  Again, it's an art to calling someone's bluff.  But I know we were in talks with Vernam for well over a week before he got his head turned by Lincoln.

Regards the Scully/Hackett-Fairchild point - no argument from me here, Golly sums it up that we're both likely right and that chain (as you point out too) is complicated by many factors.  It's a tough one but unless we look to disrupt that chain ourselves and try and jump ahead of that natural pecking order, we're always likely to end up with players that aren't our first choices.

Window after window we've waited for everything to fall into place, to my knowledge that hasn't worked.  Worst thing we can do is try something different and a bit bolder.

I get what you're saying, but to be fair again, we are, and have been, talking to 2-3 players in the last two weeks, this is from Hurst himself, this is being proactive.

Reply: 81 - 112
Madeleymariner
May 4, 2023, 1:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
Don'y know why we are after Vernam, no consistency.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 112
Jarmo.Is.God
May 4, 2023, 1:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Which is why he's a league 2 player...
If he was consistently good, we wouldn't have a chance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 112
mariner91
May 4, 2023, 2:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262

Shock horror that an attacking player in L2 is not consistent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 112
headingly_mariner
May 4, 2023, 2:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120

Played just over a 100 games at this level (about 70 starts), scored 23 goals. For a wide forward that is pretty good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 112
May 4, 2023, 2:33pm
Guest User
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Which is why he's a league 2 player...
If he was consistently good, we wouldn't have a chance

I'm pretty sure that Lincoln are in League 1?

Reply: 86 - 112
forza ivano
May 4, 2023, 7:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Played just over a 100 games at this level (about 70 starts), scored 23 goals. For a wide forward that is pretty good.

ffs Headingley , how dare you come on here with your facts and attempt to destroy misconceptions! damn you!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 112
arryarryarry
May 4, 2023, 7:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It's that fine balance between being too ruthless and too compassionate. If you have an abundance of high quality options, you can afford to be very ruthless but for a variety of factors, I think we have had to play the long game and not draw a line in the sand because then you look even more of a prat if you're still looking and they do become available.

Hopefully this summer, with time on our side and a Head of Recruitment settled in, we can be a bit more ruthless, and get some good business done early.

No excuses this coming close season, no tight fisted Fenty, as much time as every other club and hopefully some of the cup cash and a head of recruitment to do all the leg work.
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 112
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 4, 2023, 10:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,977
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from arryarryarry

No excuses this coming close season, no tight fisted Fenty, as much time as every other club and hopefully some of the cup cash and a head of recruitment to do all the leg work.

Does that work against us then as agents will presume that we’ve got loads of cash to throw at their players.

I agree wholeheartedly that it would be great to get every signing sorted before the beginning of July, but I’d reckon the majority of (decent standard) players will have a couple of offers and would see what else is forthcoming. It’s a waiting game and at times calling one another’s bluff I’d say

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Billy Chadwick from Ull

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.