Poojah
May 5, 2023, 12:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,756
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Yes, Hurst has more money and more time this season.  He also knows how current players have adapted to Div 2.

Another plus is that he generally has a good eye for a player.

The obstacle to overcome is persuading players to come here.  Our cup successes should have helped.

Genuinely, I think our biggest problem in the past has been bigger than money and bigger than geography. I suspect it's been getting people to even pick up the phone (or at least not put it down once they realised it was Grimsby on the other end).

Football is an incestuous game; people talk. We haven't been a place players wanted to come to, and probably for good reason. We have been a last resort. Of all the players that were with us during our first stint back in the league, how many players went onto better things and how many instead found themselves in a career tailspin? The ratios can't be good. We've killed a lot of careers, playing and managerial.

You can plaster "under new ownership" posters all over the place as much as you like, actions speak louder than words. And I'd like to think, possibly for the first time, prospective targets will genuinely believe that we are not the place we were. No longer the last resort. A genuinely good place to be, for now and for the future. All being well, we'll end this season with a top-half League Two finish and an FA Cup quarter final in the bag. That's not something the old Grimsby was capable of doing, as all the evidence only reaffirms. This is New Grimsby.

Whilst it's important to keep expectations realistic, I think this summer will be markedly different to those gone by. I really do.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 112
bedders78
May 5, 2023, 12:16pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +839
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Nutsy
If we can start the season with
Armstrong
Khan-Lloyd-Vernam

I'd be very happy, not sure who would partner Harry behind that...

Going to have to learn how to pass it on the floor with this forward line

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 112
DB
May 5, 2023, 5:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Poojah

Genuinely, I think our biggest problem in the past has been bigger than money and bigger than geography. I suspect it's been getting people to even pick up the phone (or at least not put it down once they realised it was Grimsby on the other end).

Football is an incestuous game; people talk. We haven't been a place players wanted to come to, and probably for good reason. We have been a last resort. Of all the players that were with us during our first stint back in the league, how many players went onto better things and how many instead found themselves in a career tailspin? The ratios can't be good. We've killed a lot of careers, playing and managerial.

You can plaster "under new ownership" posters all over the place as much as you like, actions speak louder than words. And I'd like to think, possibly for the first time, prospective targets will genuinely believe that we are not the place we were. No longer the last resort. A genuinely good place to be, for now and for the future. All being well, we'll end this season with a top-half League Two finish and an FA Cup quarter final in the bag. That's not something the old Grimsby was capable of doing, as all the evidence only reaffirms. This is New Grimsby.

Whilst it's important to keep expectations realistic, I think this summer will be markedly different to those gone by. I really do.

I agree with you and would like to add that only good reports will come out of Scannell and others. I think that we are now a forward-thinking club and not one treading water. As much as money talks some players will want more and the cup run will show them what we are about.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 112
Heisenberg
May 5, 2023, 6:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from bedders78

Going to have to learn how to pass it on the floor with this forward line

On the floor? Why, are we moving to an indoor stadium?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 112
livosnose
May 5, 2023, 6:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,179
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Nutsy
If we can start the season with
Armstrong
Khan-Lloyd-Vernam

I'd be very happy, not sure who would partner Harry behind that...

Cesc............

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 112
Norseman
May 6, 2023, 12:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from HertsGTFC

It will be good to re-visit this post when the summer window closes.

The first part of the statement will be a definite More than 10 clubs with better budgets than us .Especially if a couple of the bigger ones don't go up .As for where they get players from I think vernam will be one of the only players we get from a higher league and then see if most of our business is non league and loans .But I would love to be wrong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 112
HertsGTFC
May 6, 2023, 7:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Norseman

The first part of the statement will be a definite More than 10 clubs with better budgets than us .Especially if a couple of the bigger ones don't go up .As for where they get players from I think vernam will be one of the only players we get from a higher league and then see if most of our business is non league and loans .But I would love to be wrong

I would love you to be wrong too.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 112
Maringer
May 6, 2023, 8:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
I don't really care where they come from if they are good enough to improve the team!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 112
Swansea_Mariner
May 6, 2023, 8:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
What would we think of a front line that included the options of Vernam, Lloyd and Chadwick then + one other?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 112
davmariner
May 6, 2023, 9:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Where has this Chadwick guy come from? He seems to have done intercourse all in his career to justify a move to any EFL club.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Billy Chadwick from Ull

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.