Poojah
May 2, 2023, 2:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,050
Gold Stars: 1,535
Quoted from pontoonlew
This data led method to recruitment is certainly the way forward but our January recruitment hardly felt very revolutionary did it?

I think there’s a hell of a lot more to it and we’re probably just scratching the surface of it in terms of capabilities. One things for sure, it needs to be a damn sight more succesful than it was in January for us to even start claiming it’s our ticket to success.

This video gives an overview of the solution we are using. Quite interesting. Whether it’s any good or not of course I have no idea.

https://youtu.be/rQN5MA08VZY

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 112
diehardmariner
May 2, 2023, 3:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,783
Gold Stars: 545
When did the new recruitment guy come into post?  Was it long enough to really influence things in January?

Either way, January brought Lloyd and Emmanuel.  Now I'm not that bowled over by Emmanuel to be honest but on paper at least he's a very good signing and I can see the potential for him next season definitely, important to not discount the time he's had out the game.

But on paper Lloyd isn't a wow signing.  Struggled to really hold a first team place down and his goals/assists ratio is quite average and that's a kind slant.  But he offers an awful lot of what we've lacked in attack all season.  Be interesting to see if he was someone on Hurst's radar previously or if the recruitment guy put him there.

I don't think January was that bad.  Especially if we keep both Emmanuel and Lloyd with both impressing next season.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 112
Tommy
May 2, 2023, 4:50pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Worth remembering that as good as the new recruitment guy might be at finding/identifying players and potential signings, it is ultimately Hurst's call on whether he wants to try and bring them here. And Hurst's ability to entice them to sign for us over any competition.

I'd like to see a visible improvement in the way we recruit (as everyone would) but it almost sounds like some are expecting that the recruitment guy will go out and sign players, rather like a Director of Football type at a prem club.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 112
ska face
May 2, 2023, 5:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,854
Gold Stars: 854
Quoted from diehardmariner
When did the new recruitment guy come into post?  Was it long enough to really influence things in January?

Appointed at the end of November and can remember Hurst saying he had come with a list of targets to look at ahead of Jan. Ultimately, same as every other aspect of the game, you’re limited by what resource you have. Mentioned it elsewhere recently, but was interested in what happened with the Analysts Bar being asked to assist Paul Fairclough & the England C team -

https://www.analystsbar.com/post/england-xpects

The Analysts Bar are, in essence, 3 stats keenos who run the website on a voluntary basis just as a hobby. Would Hurst & Doig be interested in outsourcing some of the work to a group like that? Probably not.

You can only imagine the amount of work that must go into recruitment if you’re looking across a whole squad each window, especially if there’s only one person doing the donkey work with the spreadsheets. We never had an update on the partnership Loughborough University last season, wonder what came out of that in the end?
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 112
lew chaterleys lover
May 2, 2023, 5:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,814
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from Tommy
Worth remembering that as good as the new recruitment guy might be at finding/identifying players and potential signings, it is ultimately Hurst's call on whether he wants to try and bring them here. And Hurst's ability to entice them to sign for us over any competition.

I'd like to see a visible improvement in the way we recruit (as everyone would) but it almost sounds like some are expecting that the recruitment guy will go out and sign players, rather like a Director of Football type at a prem club.

Yes does Hurst actually want them, and will he go out purposely and determinedly to get them?

His usual response to questions of whether he is in the market for a player is something like "we have asked the question..."

I always get the impression Hurst is a no nonsense sort of character who will not take kindly to chasing players but prefers to gamble on them not getting better offers. Obviously only Hurst knows how he really feels about transfer windows but I wouldn't say he relishes them.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 112
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
May 2, 2023, 6:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556

I always get the impression Hurst is a no nonsense sort of character who will not take kindly to chasing players but prefers to gamble on them not getting better offers. Obviously only Hurst knows how he really feels about transfer windows but I wouldn't say he relishes them.

No managers relish transfer windows.

Apart from Redknapp, Allardyce, Evans and Warnock. I wouldn’t wish to speculate why those four enjoy them of course…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 112
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 2, 2023, 8:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,094
Gold Stars: 196
It’s alright finding the players that fit into the squad dynamics. It’s just a case of then getting them to put pen to paper, as we’ve all seen numerous times before.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 112
Mappers
May 3, 2023, 7:17am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.40
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,575
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Tommy

Hopefully the recruitment guy has not been watching luxury wingers that don't fit our Pauls job description of 'track back and keep us shape ' ,It would be a waste of his time .

I wonder if it's a case of Hurst taking a list of what he wants to the recruitment bod, the recruitment guy presenting him with a list of who he thinks we should sign or a mixture of both ?

Great thoughts as always Tommy , don't go out of my way to praise people on here but your posts are always out the box .

Well done

Neil M

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 112
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 3, 2023, 8:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,094
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Mappers

Hopefully the recruitment guy has not been watching luxury wingers that don't fit our Pauls job description of 'track back and keep us shape ' ,It would be a waste of his time .

Nah, he’s been watching ted lasso

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 112
gtfc_chris
May 3, 2023, 12:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,522
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Mappers

I wonder if it's a case of Hurst taking a list of what he wants to the recruitment bod, the recruitment guy presenting him with a list of who he thinks we should sign or a mixture of both ?

Great thoughts as always Tommy , don't go out of my way to praise people on here but your posts are always out the box .

Well done

Neil M

I would be amazed if the Head of Recruitment was not working in partnership with the manager as opposed to isolated and presenting suggestions unguided.

Without ever being part of a professional football club to say with experience, I'd say that PH, CD and HoR will have semi-regular conversations about plans for how PH intends the team to play, what players he's currently happy with, what failings he thinks we have and the HoR is responsible for identifying players that best fit the bill.

It won't remove the 'looking' at players but it will the search for players more targeted and possibly widespread, in turn preventing wasted time and journeys on players who may have come recommended and are actually pants. Having a deeper knowledge of who is out there and someone dedicating their time to deciphering how worthy they are of follow up work from PH to make his judgements is at worst more efficient and at best a recipe for vastly improved future Grimsby Town teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Billy Chadwick from Ull

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.