Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we make the Playoffs? Some stats.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 283 Guests

Can we make the Playoffs? Some stats.

This thread currently has 16,259 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
April 5, 2022, 3:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
I have us away at Solihull too.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 103
devs
April 5, 2022, 3:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
The average points total for 7th is very consistent
Between 71-76 from 2010/11 to 2018/19
Outlier was 67pts in 2012/13

Based on history between 9-12pts should see us in the play offs; this of course implies we could lose a couple... but teams around us will as well

History doesn't lie - bit like batting/bowling averages - and is a good indicator of what is needed

Very confident we will make play offs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 103
Poojah
April 5, 2022, 4:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from devs
The average points total for 7th is very consistent
Between 71-76 from 2010/11 to 2018/19
Outlier was 67pts in 2012/13

Based on history between 9-12pts should see us in the play offs; this of course implies we could lose a couple... but teams around us will as well

History doesn't lie - bit like batting/bowling averages - and is a good indicator of what is needed

Very confident we will make play offs

What complicates matters is that Notts County have the easiest run-in imaginable and may very well not lose any of their remaining games, whilst Boreham Wood and Bromley both have an extra 9 points to play for to make up their 4 and 8 point deficit respectively.

Fortunately Boreham Wood have a difficult run-in and have to play 7 of the current top 10. From our perspective, our final home game against them could yet play out like a play-off game itself.

Bromley do have 8 points to catch-up on, which is a big ask,  but also a fair few games that they ought to win. They look the most unpredictable of the lot, but it’s helpful that they have to play Boreham Wood. We should keep ahead of them.

Clawing back sufficient ground on Solihull and Chesterfield is a big ask, though Chesterfield do have a tough run in whilst Solihull have four away games on the bounce, starting tonight. Three of them are against the current top 3 in Stockport, Halifax and Wrexham.

It’s all very nuanced, but I think the situation will be a lot clearer come the evening of Easter Monday. As things stand, I wouldn’t swap circumstances with anyone outside the top - possession is nine tenths of the law.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 103
Son of Cod
April 5, 2022, 4:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I have us away at Solihull too.

Dear god no, that's the worst possible tie for me. Even worse than away at Wrexham.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 103
ginnywings
April 5, 2022, 4:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Well we are in a play off spot now and don't have the hardest of run ins of the top 7, so no reason why we can't at least keep what we have.

The proviso being that despite our very good recent run, it's taken an age to climb a couple of spots, which tells you that the top 7 are all picking up plenty of points.

One team usually bombs at the end of the season and drops out. It's looking like Chesterfield at the moment if they don't get their act together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 103
fishboyUTM
April 5, 2022, 6:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Son of Cod

Dear god no, that's the worst possible tie for me. Even worse than away at Wrexham.

It's only Solihull, but they were good weren't they?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 103
RonMariner
April 5, 2022, 10:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,863
Gold Stars: 231
Bromley lost again tonight. That's just 2 points from their last 7 games. I think they are fading fast.  Now 8 points behind with two games in hand an an inferior goal diff.

Our other main rival for a play off spot, Boreham, got a good point at Dagenham tonight, but they are only averaging a point game over the last seven games and of course we play them at BP. Depriving Dagenham of two points might not be a bad thing either, I though they might come in with a late run, but they are now 6 points behind us with no games in hand.

So tonight's results are good for us.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 103
supertown
April 5, 2022, 10:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,471
Gold Stars: 53
The calculator is going to change every game. How many of the predictions were right tonight ? One , maybe 2 ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 103
TownSNAFU5
April 6, 2022, 12:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Notts County may have a very easy run-in on paper.  As Bromley found out tonight, it is easy to lose against a team well below you. And if you are complacent in any way.

As an example that cost Leeds promotion, they were playing Wigan who were bottom.  Everybody expected Leeds to win.  Wigan went down to 10 men for most of the game at Elland Road - and then beat Leeds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 103
April 6, 2022, 10:00am
Guest User
Quoted from RonMariner
Bromley lost again tonight. That's just 2 points from their last 7 games. I think they are fading fast.  Now 8 points behind with two games in hand an an inferior goal diff.

Our other main rival for a play off spot, Boreham, got a good point at Dagenham tonight, but they are only averaging a point game over the last seven games and of course we play them at BP. Depriving Dagenham of two points might not be a bad thing either, I though they might come in with a late run, but they are now 6 points behind us with no games in hand.

So tonight's results are good for us.  

Even better, the chase for a play-off place is entirely in our own hands now with Boreham Wood having to visit Town.
Reply: 79 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we make the Playoffs? Some stats.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.