arryarryarry
March 25, 2024, 1:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Maringer
Unimpressed with Wrexham who have some good players but are pretty basic in their style of play. Unfortunately, we let them score with their first shot and didn't play at all well for much of the game, but I still think the scoreline actually flattered them a little!

Obikwu just not experienced enough to get anywhere against their defenders, Wilson too quiet other than that one snapshot and having Pyke as a replacement on the bench is almost a waste of a substitution. It would have been a game made for Rose whose nouse would have won us In lot of possession and free-kicks.

I think we'll need to keep battling it out for the points for the rest of the season because our lack of pace and the poor standard of our general passing can't be improved with the current squad. Big rebuild required in the summer, though hopefully still as a League club.

Couldn't agree more and just about word for word what our group were saying.

On the Wrexham forum a few of their fans had been saying they hadn't been playing well and they actually didn't create much it was down to our poor quality midfield and defending that they scored 3, as for our likelihood of scoring that didn't look like it till Artell made the changes which we all thought came far too late.
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 181
grassbandits
March 25, 2024, 5:01pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +117
Gold Stars: 5
PPG for remaining games based on PPG achieved in last 6 games [form]

Sutton 10/6 = 1.7ppg. Currently 33 points, 6 games left => 33+10 => 43 points
Forest Green 7/6 = 1.2ppg. Currently 33 points, 7 games left => 33+8 => 41 points
Colchester 5/6 [5 draws] = 0.8ppg. Currently 34 points, 9 games left = 34+7 => 41 points - although you think everything being equal they'll get another 3 or 4 more than this.

It's sketchy however you want to look at it but on this basis 42 points would keep us up.

Grimsby 9/6 = 1/5ppg. Currently 39 points, 8 games left => 39+12 => 51 points

What we're watching is of course pretty poor but it's so important to the club and the town we stay up and I'll keep encouraging all our players and not getting on anyone's back from here...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 181
TownSNAFU5
March 25, 2024, 5:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
We had 60% possession on Sat but did not use it wisely.

Stockport had 35% possession but still beat MK 5-0!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 181
Maringer
March 25, 2024, 6:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
To be fair, I don't think Wrexham were putting much effort into attacking during the second half. Quite happy to let us pass it backwards and forwards in midfield and in our own half which helped our possession stats. They were coasting and knew it. We knew it too which is why our players apparently set out for damage limitation in the second half and didn't really do much to try and get back into the game until the last 20 minutes or so.

I can understand why we were content to just stop the rot just after half-time, but it would have been better to see us try and attack a bit more than we did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 181
CSLM
March 25, 2024, 8:06pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Maringer
To be fair, I don't think Wrexham were putting much effort into attacking during the second half. Quite happy to let us pass it backwards and forwards in midfield and in our own half which helped our possession stats. They were coasting and knew it. We knew it too which is why our players apparently set out for damage limitation in the second half and didn't really do much to try and get back into the game until the last 20 minutes or so.

I can understand why we were content to just stop the rot just after half-time, but it would have been better to see us try and attack a bit more than we did.

Yep. Reminded me of the Stockport game. It felt like they could've cranked it up if they wanted/needed to.

The third killed us but it would've taken a huge turnaround anyway. Speaking of the third, what an absolute shambles that was. Mullin was quality, not comparable with our 2 up top.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 181
Limerick Mariner
March 25, 2024, 8:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,701
Gold Stars: 136
I hadn’t watched the highlights until just now. The first two Cartwright could have done better, actually I think the second was the poorer from him, it was a tight angle and he didn’t stay big - if he had the shot was would have been within an outstretched arm. The first had a bounce on the way through and he would also have been partly unsighted. But the greater issue for the first was the feeble second ball attempts from our midfield.

The third was a cracking finish tbf.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 181
CSLM
March 25, 2024, 10:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
I hadn’t watched the highlights until just now. The first two Cartwright could have done better, actually I think the second was the poorer from him, it was a tight angle and he didn’t stay big - if he had the shot was would have been within an outstretched arm. The first had a bounce on the way through and he would also have been partly unsighted. But the greater issue for the first was the feeble second ball attempts from our midfield.

The third was a cracking finish tbf.

The second did hit his glove, I could hear it. Seems harsh but gut instinct was that he should've done better. First one was very difficult as it took a massive bounce that you can't really see on the highlights.

He just lost his confidence completely as the first half went on, some of the back passes didn't help mind.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 181
Teestogreen
March 26, 2024, 12:41am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
Really good headline tonight on ITV English Football League Highlights for Town.
Despite defeat, it played back the goals from victory 5-4 against Wrexham and did a feature on the local hospital radio - well deserved for the volunteers that have provided commentary for the patients for many years 👏

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 181
friskneymariner
March 26, 2024, 2:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from CSLM

The second did hit his glove, I could hear it. Seems harsh but gut instinct was that he should've done better. First one was very difficult as it took a massive bounce that you can't really see on the highlights.

He just lost his confidence completely as the first half went on, some of the back passes didn't help mind.

Needs to do lot of work on his upper body strength the second goal went straight through him.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 181
friskneymariner
March 26, 2024, 2:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from CSLM

Needs to do lot of work on his upper body strength the second goal went straight through him.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 181
19 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Wrexham H

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.