Reply: 160 - 181
acko338
March 23, 2024, 5:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Gold Stars: 33
Again, another match where the opponents ran faster, were far more accurate with passing, and harrassed our players for 90 minutes, forcing mistakes.

Mullin should have been booked for his "face" injury !!!

Sadly, 2nd best until Arthur came on to give them a bit back - deserved his goal and praise to Harry for a solid game today.

At least Mullins didn't get a penno and Palmer didn't score, so not that bad.

They proved why they are up there, and we're not !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 181
Maringer
March 23, 2024, 6:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Unimpressed with Wrexham who have some good players but are pretty basic in their style of play. Unfortunately, we let them score with their first shot and didn't play at all well for much of the game, but I still think the scoreline actually flattered them a little!

Obikwu just not experienced enough to get anywhere against their defenders, Wilson too quiet other than that one snapshot and having Pyke as a replacement on the bench is almost a waste of a substitution. It would have been a game made for Rose whose nouse would have won us In lot of possession and free-kicks.

I think we'll need to keep battling it out for the points for the rest of the season because our lack of pace and the poor standard of our general passing can't be improved with the current squad. Big rebuild required in the summer, though hopefully still as a League club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 181
SouthLakesMariner
March 23, 2024, 6:25pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +939
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from RonMariner
We still have a six point cushion, but have a tough game next week. However it sounds like FGR were very poor today so hard to see them getting many points from their next five fixtures.

We had all assumed that Sutton were dead, but they have won their last two so maybe we need to keep an eye on them now.

Agree with this - after today, Sutton have emerged as the main threat. Given they’ve only got 6 games left, you would hope a couple more wins from ourselves would be enough. Sutton would need promotion form over those remaining games to overturn that.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 181
TAGG
March 23, 2024, 6:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,956
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from hampshiremariner
I was hoping for a point. It’s a strange league this. Watched Mansfield V Colchester and thought the home side were poor, given where they are in the table. We need 11 more points to be safe.

11 points?
Not sure about that.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 181
chaos33
March 23, 2024, 9:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
I think maybe 47 points could be enough. 8 points from 8 games. 6 pointer with Colchester could be massive.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 181
pen penfras
March 24, 2024, 7:25am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from chaos33
I think maybe 47 points could be enough. 8 points from 8 games. 6 pointer with Colchester could be massive.

You think either FGR or Sutton are going to average about
2 points per game for the rest of the season? They're not even close to 1 so far.

42 will be enough, I'd not be surprised if we lost every game now and still stay up.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 181
chaos33
March 24, 2024, 11:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from pen penfras

You think either FGR or Sutton are going to average about
2 points per game for the rest of the season? They're not even close to 1 so far.

42 will be enough, I'd not be surprised if we lost every game now and still stay up.

I admire your optimism. I’m not so sure that what you’re averaging in points per game over a season is as relevant as how many you’re acquiring in the current form period , but as I say, the picture will go game by game. If we lose the next two, and at least one of FGR, Sutton or Colchester pick up 4/6 points, then  I’m not sure there’s going to be much solace in your season PPG faith. Every passing round of fixtures brings an effective ‘net result’ that’s bigger than what we do. Yesterday wasn’t terrible in that regard -  one win, one draw and one defeat amongst our rivals, and nobody breathing down our neck. Yet.
Each fixture now has the power to shift the picture and mindsets quite markedly.

Friday - you’d expect Stockport to beat FGR surely, and maybe Salford to beat Sutton. Colchester will see Newport as a juicy win opportunity.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 181
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 24, 2024, 1:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,689
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from chaos33

I admire your optimism. I’m not so sure that what you’re averaging in points per game over a season is as relevant as how many you’re acquiring in the current form period , but as I say, the picture will go game by game. If we lose the next two, and at least one of FGR, Sutton or Colchester pick up 4/6 points, then  I’m not sure there’s going to be much solace in your season PPG faith. Every passing round of fixtures brings an effective ‘net result’ that’s bigger than what we do. Yesterday wasn’t terrible in that regard -  one win, one draw and one defeat amongst our rivals, and nobody breathing down our neck. Yet.
Each fixture now has the power to shift the picture and mindsets quite markedly.

Friday - you’d expect Stockport to beat FGR surely, and maybe Salford to beat Sutton. Colchester will see Newport as a juicy win opportunity.

In our hands which is the main thing and I think 5 points from our 3 home games and a draw in at least one of our away fixtures should see us safe but, we have to get those points and I agree lose the next two and it’s panic stations again.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 181
Norseman
March 24, 2024, 11:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
If you look at fgr and suttons run ins .Apply points generously I would say 6 for Sutton and 8 for FGR .All we would need is 1 win .I know sometimes a team fighting for their lives achieve the odd fantastic result but not 3 or 4 in 8 games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 181
19 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Wrexham H

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.