Mappers
March 13, 2024, 6:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,320
Gold Stars: 118
https://www.stockportcounty.com/stadiumexpansion/update-on-our-plans/

Impressive.I like  that they are improving it gradually . Seeing as we are staying at BP maybe a smaller scale version of what they are doing can be looked at in the medium to long term ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Poojah
March 13, 2024, 6:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,541
Gold Stars: 1,500
Already looking forward to white_shorts bumping this thread in 8 and-a-half weeks’ time.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 51
mimma
March 13, 2024, 7:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Here we go again.

Edgley Park is not hemmed in by houses, and has the land around it to build on. Blundell Park does not.  They also seem to have access to money that we don't have. Appart from these small issues, then why can't we follow likewise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 51
Mappers
March 13, 2024, 7:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from mimma
Here we go again.

Edgley Park is not hemmed in by houses, and has the land around it to build on. Blundell Park does not.  They also seem to have access to money that we don't have. Appart from these small issues, then why can't we follow likewise.

It might be hemmed in but there are 4 corners and 3 stands that don't even run the full length of the pitch with bogs ,roofs and other items not fit for purpose .  

They have access to a multi millionaire who's a fan , we have millionaire owners who are fans ,who by their own admission have spent their careers raising capital for projects & businesses . Yes football is a different entity to anything else  but I hope they have a major overhaul in mind after the training ground is completed.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 51
Heswall Mariner
March 13, 2024, 9:24pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
Just to digress - the last time I went to Edgley Park I recall a guy threw his crutches down in front of Laurie Mac.& we won thanks to a couple of goals from Mat Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 51
White_shorts
March 13, 2024, 10:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Poojah
Already looking forward to White_shorts bumping this thread in 8 and-a-half weeks’ time.

There isn't a law against replying to threads that are more than a week old.

Why would I bump a discussion about Stockport's ground?  Good for them.  18k would not be an embarrassment in the Championship.

I'm waiting for news about dock redevelopment planning applications that were supposed to have been submitted last month.  Is Shutes still interested in a stadium, or has he given up on that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 51
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 13, 2024, 11:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,837
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from White_shorts

Why would I bump a discussion about Stockport's ground?  Good for them.  18k would not be an embarrassment in the Championship.

I'm still waiting for news about dock redevelopment planning applications that were supposed to have been submitted last month.  Is Shutes still interested in a stadium, or has he given up on that?

I’d like to think that it could be something to help the town and n.e lincs as an area. I’ve mentioned my thoughts on it before but the council/s that have been in place seem to consider the club a burden on the area. Yet, done correctly, it could create an upturn in the area from training apprenticeships, and jobs while building takes place through to full time jobs/careers once a stadium is actually built.

But, while all I hear about is doom and gloom about the councils, it’s not got any chance of any local authority help.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 51
HerveJosse
March 14, 2024, 8:14am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from mimma
Here we go again.

Plenty of room within the existing footprint of BP for stand extensions/ rebuilds or simply filling in the corners. Always easy to say it can’t be done.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 51
Mappers
March 14, 2024, 8:28am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Plenty of room within the existing footprint of BP for stand extensions/ rebuilds or simply filling in the corners. Always easy to say it can’t be done.

It 100% can be done .

It's not even the capacity for me that's the major issue or priority it's more the facility aspect -some of  the disabled supporters are still getting sodden wet through if it rains and I just don't think that's acceptable really - a lot of the gripes are things that anywhere else people would go potty about but because we are stuck ,fans just seem to accept it the way it is .

It could be a really great stadium in my mind with a mixture of old and new which would be a novelty for many .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 51
cannylad65
March 14, 2024, 8:49am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 6
the last time I went to Edgley Park I recall a guy threw his crutches down in front of Laurie Mac.& we won thanks to a couple of goals from Mat Tees.

That was my mate Tommy, who had been injured playing football.
On seeing Lawrie Mac, he threw down his crutches and said, I can now walk.

A true story.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 51
arryarryarry
March 14, 2024, 10:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
Just to digress - the last time I went to Edgley Park I recall a guy threw his crutches down in front of Laurie Mac.& we won thanks to a couple of goals from Mat Tees.

Bloomin' eck, been there loads of time since then in fact don't think I missed a game there.

I remember some Stockport fans trying to be a bit massive in the side stand where all the Town fans were but were chased out of the stand onto the pitch side then chased out of the ground.

Another memorable game was the 4-2 win.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 51
NorthseaMariner
March 14, 2024, 10:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
On a slightly different point. How come Tottenham managed to get thirty million grant from some London improvement fund and seventy million in tax breaks to help fund their stadium, but we appear to have to fund everything ourselves?

There’s got to be something we can get to assist. Even Scunny got 2 or 3 million via North Lincs Council to buy back Glumford Park.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 51
kafunanapar140909
March 14, 2024, 10:54am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
I like how they’re playing us in the artist’s impression - and they’re 1-0 up inside 5 minutes. Must have been drawn a while ago as we seem to be playing four at the back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 51
mimma
March 14, 2024, 11:44am
Brandy Drinker
N E Lincs Council are a problem not a solution.  Would they grant permission to rebuild, and the residents wouldn't lie down and let us build it. When it comes to planning permission our council are notorious for dragging out planning permission and kicking into the long grass. They don't seem to understand the importance of our club to the area and beyond so won't break a sweat to help with funding either, though to fair they don't have the cash to help us in the first place.
I would love to see Blundell Park redeveloped but being pragmatic I cannot see it happening, and if it did, it would be many years before it would happen.
Sorry to be so negative fellas

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 51
Theimperialcoroner
March 14, 2024, 11:48am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from mimma
Here we go again.

It is kind of. Houses on one side with a heritage wall/exterior. Then a river round the back. Only really the Railway end that has an open outlook.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 51
Marinerdan
March 14, 2024, 12:14pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
On a slightly different point. How come Tottenham managed to get thirty million grant from some London improvement fund and seventy million in tax breaks to help fund their stadium, but we appear to have to fund everything ourselves?

There’s got to be something we can get to assist. Even Scunny got 2 or 3 million via North Lincs Council to buy back Glumford Park.

I know £30m sounds a lot but the stadium cost over £1b. It’s the equivalent of us getting 300k against a £30m stadium.

I’m sure there will be some grant type funding available but we’ll still have to find a huge chunk of money to fund either a new stadium or a full refurb of BP.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 51
Mappers
March 14, 2024, 12:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from mimma
N E Lincs Council are a problem not a solution.  Would they grant permission to rebuild, and the residents wouldn't lie down and let us build it. When it comes to planning permission our council are notorious for dragging out planning permission and kicking into the long grass. They don't seem to understand the importance of our club to the area and beyond so won't break a sweat to help with funding either, though to fair they don't have the cash to help us in the first place.
I would love to see Blundell Park redeveloped but being pragmatic I cannot see it happening, and if it did, it would be many years before it would happen.

UTM

Just do what Bristol Rovers did and build without planning

https://www.bristol247.com/spo.....planning-permission/

Can't imagine it would go down well with locals , and I am half joking .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 51
Maringer
March 14, 2024, 12:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
I seem to recall that the only time I went to Edgeley Park, Craig Shakespeare was playing for us and I think we were winning at half-time before they brought on Aaron Wilbraham. A while ago now, though not quite as far back as the McMenemy era!

I also remember that, after the game, we went out in Manchester and got trollied in an appalling nightclub which made the Pier seem like the Ritz.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 51
David Frazer
March 14, 2024, 1:33pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Approval: -455
Gold Stars: 4
Why dont you have a fund raiser like the promotion one ?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 51
Barrattstander
March 14, 2024, 2:35pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 14
Interesting to see the stands running from corner to corner, currently at BP approx 25% of the pitch perimeter isn't overlooked by supporters seating.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 51
mariner91
March 14, 2024, 2:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,651
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from David Frazer

You mean when the fans stuck by the club and coughed up a load of money to try and help in an ultimately successful promotion attempt? As opposed to completely abandoning the club when it's at it's lowest ebb and only returning when an FA cup run means there's a good chance of seeing a big club in a later round?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 51
cannylad65
March 14, 2024, 4:49pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +96
Gold Stars: 6
Tommy Gilham was the man on crutches.

Played a lot of local football.
Hospitals was one club I believe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 51
rancido
March 14, 2024, 5:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,569
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from mimma

UTM

Just imagine the uproar from the short-sighted, non-football supporting poll tax payers if the Council used funds to improve a private football ground that benefited only 6% of the NE Lincs population. We fans know that there are loads of other benefits to be gained by an improved BP but Joe Public just sees the vast amount spent and asks the question " how does that benefit me". You only have to see the publics reaction to Council spending in community areas funded by Central Government to know what their reaction would be. Even now there is so much adverse reaction to necessary safety  roadworks on the A180 and the work on Corporation Bridge ( which has to be done because it is a listed structure) , that you can predict the local population's reaction.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 51
Limerick Mariner
March 14, 2024, 11:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from mimma

UTM

With all respect getting planning consent is an imaginary issue. We’ve 120 yrs of history of use of the site as a football ground. At 12k capacity - the capacity that the site can take according to the study done when BP went all seater, we are way below historic capacity. Traffic impact has changed for the worse but that can be dealt with contributions to enhanced match day public transport. If the council refused consent they would lose on appeal - there are way too many precedents nationally. Money - now that’s a different matter…

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 51
HerveJosse
March 15, 2024, 12:03am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from mimma

UTM

No reason at all to think planning is a problem with development within footprint of BP . The only development that woukd affect residence an upward expansion of main stand isn’t physically possible anyway . Filling in the corners  extending Findus etc would be no issue for planning .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 51
mimma
March 15, 2024, 2:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

With all respect getting planning consent is an imaginary issue. We’ve 120 yrs of history of use of the site as a football ground. At 12k capacity - the capacity that the site can take according to the study done when BP went all seater, we are way below historic capacity. Traffic impact has changed for the worse but that can be dealt with contributions to enhanced match day public transport. If the council refused consent they would lose on appeal - there are way too many precedents nationally. Money - now that’s a different matter…

The history didn't help us with planning permission when we tried to relocate to Great Coates did it? It took ten years of backwards and forwards before we got it by which time the project was dead in the water
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 51
rancido
March 15, 2024, 2:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mimma

The history didn't help us with planning permission when we tried to relocate to Great Coates did it? It took ten years of backwards and forwards before we got it by which time the project was dead in the water

120 years of occupation at the same site counts for "jack shi*t" if that site gradually becomes totally enclosed with housing right up to the site boundary.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 51
Zmariner
March 15, 2024, 3:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from David Frazer

Love your messages. Keep them coming , you are a sad creep with a lot of time on your hands but you do make me laugh
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 51
Poojah
March 15, 2024, 3:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,541
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Zmariner

Love your messages. Keep them coming , you are a sad creep with a lot of time on your hands but you do make me laugh

On the plus side, any time he spends on here is time he’s not out noncing, so there’s a silver lining to the poorly written, meandering bóllocks he bores us all to tears with.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 51
ska face
March 15, 2024, 3:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from mimma

From what I gather having had a cursory glance at the history, didn’t the Council grant permission on 2 or 3 separate occasions from 2000 up to 2007 in various guises? The big issue was with the land owner (Sutton Estates) deciding not to release the land on the terms agreed back in 2003?

The club had outline permission in 2007 but let that lapse and never submitted a more detailed application after that.

The Peaks Parkway farce never even made it as far as an application. Extreme Leisure had an exclusive agreement for 5 years from 2017 to purchase the land, subject to obtaining necessary permissions, but that disappeared up a half pipe.

There seems to be a bit of a misconception about the role of the Council in the whole saga. From what I can see the project has been killed stone dead primarily because of petty individual disagreements (who can forget a topless Fenty dumping a tub of water on his head to have a dig a De Freitas?) and a lack of any real appetite to find the money to deliver it.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 51
JK47
March 15, 2024, 4:03pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I’d like to think that it could be something to help the town and n.e lincs as an area. I’ve mentioned my thoughts on it before but the council/s that have been in place seem to consider the club a burden on the area. Yet, done correctly, it could create an upturn in the area from training apprenticeships, and jobs while building takes place through to full time jobs/careers once a stadium is actually built.

But, while all I hear about is doom and gloom about the councils, it’s not got any chance of any local authority help.

Yes, points I have made many times before.  It seems government money is available to football clubs for non league clubs' training facilities just 20 miles from Blundell Park.  IF an argument were made for a significant community development in the poorest area of the entire UK, then I am sure, with a bit of arm-twisting, we could have a brand new stadium built entirely on government funds.  And there's no time like the few months before an election to make that application!.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 51
David Frazer
March 15, 2024, 4:17pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Approval: -455
Gold Stars: 4
Well joking apart re the fundraiser ,some of out current stand developement behind the goal ( Stacey West) has been raised by bonds ,also cadburys or nestles have a community bond which we have got and some other grants we have tapped into ! Sadly with Covid costs increasing all building materials the near 3million £ developement has increased X% and has been scaled down.

Money is there but it needs finding by your CEO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 51
RonMariner
March 16, 2024, 7:30am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,696
Gold Stars: 226
Sooner or later the Main Stand is surely going to be condemned, the Osmond with it. So what is going to happen then?

In the meantime we have three unused open corners which could accommodate thousands of additional seats. Adopting a phased approach could we not tackle one corner a year? Wouldn’t have to close other parts of the ground while doing it and the cost per new stand would presumably be nowhere near the eye watering amounts touted for a new stadium.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 51
HertsGTFC
March 16, 2024, 8:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,934
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from RonMariner
Sooner or later the Main Stand is surely going to be condemned, the Osmond with it. So what is going to happen then?

In the meantime we have three unused open corners which could accommodate thousands of additional seats. Adopting a phased approach could we not tackle one corner a year? Wouldn’t have to close other parts of the ground while doing it and the cost per new stand would presumably be nowhere near the eye watering amounts touted for a new stadium.

I’m not a structural engineer, I can just about build Lego so don’t really know anything about construction, I suppose the only way the Main Stand would be condemned is if it where structurally unsafe and we’re spending money on it this summer to avoid that.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 51
dapperz fun pub
March 16, 2024, 9:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,935
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from arryarryarry

Bloomin' eck, been there loads of time since then in fact don't think I missed a game there.

I remember some Stockport fans trying to be a bit massive in the side stand where all the Town fans were but were chased out of the stand onto the pitch side then chased out of the ground.

Another memorable game was the 4-2 win.

I was at that game lots of aggro before and after aswell , Stockport don’t seem to like us for some reason
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 51
GrimPol
March 16, 2024, 9:07am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -669
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from RonMariner

Worst still a preservation order will be slapped on it as a listed building (oldest stand in UK)  and then you can't do anything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 51
StacyColdicotts_hairline
March 16, 2024, 9:09am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Approval: +203
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from GrimPol

Worst still a preservation order will be slapped on it as a listed building (oldest stand in UK)  and then you can't do anything.

surely not
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 51
Mappers
March 16, 2024, 9:19am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I’m not a structural engineer, I can just about build Lego so don’t really know anything about construction, I suppose the only way the Main Stand would be condemned is if it where structurally unsafe and we’re spending money on it this summer to avoid that.

I don't think it will be condemned anytime soon . Like I have said before it's not capacity that's the number one issue for me it's the facilities/views  and general state of the place - it might pull on the heartstrings from a nostalgic point of view but not much more for me .

When you go to NLS games and the facilities are better you realise how far behind we are .

There must be 500 to a 1000 seats where you can't see half the pitch - back of Osmond and The Main being prime examples . You wouldn't go to a cinema if you could only see half the screen would you ? and if you did would be piping up for a refund (the fact people have love and loyalty for the club means they will pay £20 + for something they will only half see).

The same with the disabled facilities , they are just not fit for purpose .

Even if we only ever have the 6000 hardcore support  forever they deserve better imo , surely there are grants available for improving disabled facilities - I thought Stockwood & Cook actually talked about improving them a couple of years ago ? But as yet nothing has happened

It's not the boards fault by any means but to move forward medium to long term it has to be a priority much more than many seem to think ; I suppose an indication of if we can make any substantial improvements will be if the training ground can be delivered and funded for - I can't imagine raising the 6million quid + will be easy for that tbf .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 51
kevikov
March 16, 2024, 9:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from GrimPol

Knowing our luck, baldrick and his mates will find Noah’s ark buried beneath it.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 51
HertsGTFC
March 16, 2024, 10:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

I don't think it will be condemned anytime soon . Like I have said before it's not capacity that's the number one issue for me it's the facilities/views  and general state of the place - it might pull on the heartstrings from a nostalgic point of view but not much more for me .

When you go to NLS games and the facilities are better you realise how far behind we are .

There must be 500 to a 1000 seats where you can't see half the pitch - back of Osmond and The Main being prime examples . You wouldn't go to a cinema if you could only see half the screen would you ? and if you did would be piping up for a refund (the fact people have love and loyalty for the club means they will pay £20 + for something they will only half see).

Even if we only ever have the 6000 hardcore support  forever they deserve better imo , surely there are grants available for improving disabled facilities - I thought Stockwood & Cook actually talked about improving them a couple of years ago ? But as yet nothing has happened

It's not the boards fault by any means but to move forward medium to long term it has to be a priority much more than many seem to think ; I suppose an indication of if we can make any substantial improvements will be if the training ground can be delivered and funded for - I can't imagine raising the 6million quid + will be easy for that tbf .

Agree completely, I sit in the Upper and to be honest though clearly it's a much better view than the Main the facilities are poor and it's not a great experience.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 51
Heisenberg
March 16, 2024, 10:39am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,053
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Mappers

These are my thoughts too, 100%.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 51
JK47
March 16, 2024, 11:06am
Shandy Drinker
Does anyone know why the new training faciolities will cost £6m?  It seems a staggering amount to me.  Not sure why that is seen as more important than the stadium.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
rancido
March 16, 2024, 11:20am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

I totally agree but improvements need to be prioritised. It was obvious that when JS and AP took over they identified the playing surface and training facilities as requiring immediate improvements and rightly so IMO. They also consulted the fans, listened and implemented some of the suggestions ie fanzone and the clear screening in the Upper Youngs to improve viewing in the lower seats. The work on the Pontoon roof was unexpected but still needed to be done. Some interim work was done on the Main Stand roof structure and, as I understand it, a lot more work is planned for this summer. Everything can't be done at once but at least the owners are working on ground improvements, especially the Main Stand, which was sadly lacking during the "reign" of the previous incumbent.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 51
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 16, 2024, 11:30am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,837
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from RonMariner

It’s not just the stand (structure) itself. i’d think it’s likely to be the changing rooms, media/press facilities, catering/hospitality and, as someone quite rightly mentioned, the disabled facilities. It all costs money which we haven’t got and at a wild guess, could maybe be around £5m-£10m to get both the osmond and main stand done, that’s even if they (the council) allow us to do it in the first place.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
JK47
March 16, 2024, 11:55am
Shandy Drinker
Well I can see I'm banging my head on a brick wall here, but Wrexham got £25m of government cash for ONE stand.  Bury (virtually not even in existence) had government cash thrown at them to buy the old Gigg Lane for them, even Brigg Town had government cash recently, and that's before we look at how Scunny got their ground just a few months ago.  WHY do people think that we should not get government cash, to either build a brand new faciliity, or improve the oldest structure in the football league?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
1mickylyons
March 16, 2024, 12:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,385
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree completely, I sit in the Upper and to be honest though clearly it's a much better view than the Main the facilities are poor and it's not a great experience.

Likewise. I live locally still so generally have lunch at home before the game. I would and have supported the club via trust bar and fanzone one you struggle to get served in and the other the prices are in my opinion ridiculous so I head into to Clps. Not sure how much revenue they lose cos of what I've mentioned but it needs looking at. I  liked the beer fridge near the turnstiles last season but clearly it was in the wrong place and space is limited within the ground. If were staying at BP longterm I'd buy the BP Hotel and revamp it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 51
Heisenberg
March 16, 2024, 1:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,053
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from JK47
Well I can see I'm banging my head on a brick wall here, but Wrexham got £25m of government cash for ONE stand.  Bury (virtually not even in existence) had government cash thrown at them to buy the old Gigg Lane for them, even Brigg Town had government cash recently, and that's before we look at how Scunny got their ground just a few months ago.  WHY do people think that we should not get government cash, to either build a brand new faciliity, or improve the oldest structure in the football league?

No, Wrexham got turned down.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
HertsGTFC
March 16, 2024, 1:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Likewise. I live locally still so generally have lunch at home before the game. I would and have supported the club via trust bar and fanzone one you struggle to get served in and the other the prices are in my opinion ridiculous so I head into to Clps. Not sure how much revenue they lose cos of what I've mentioned but it needs looking at. I  liked the beer fridge near the turnstiles last season but clearly it was in the wrong place and space is limited within the ground. If were staying at BP longterm I'd buy the BP Hotel and revamp it.

I was talking to Archie Needham’s son in a bar last year and he owned the BP Hotel & had it up for sale oddly enough.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
GrimPol
March 16, 2024, 1:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker

surely not

"Listed Buildings are buildings and structures defined by the Secretary of State as being of “special architectural or historic interest”. They include buildings and structures that are deemed to be of importance on a national scale"

The Ice Factory has, so why not a Football Stand? It is unique.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
GrimPol
March 16, 2024, 2:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I've sat many a time in high upper and admired the Humber shipping movements, which were superior.at times,  to those on the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
mimma
March 16, 2024, 2:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Making it a listed building would cause more problems. You cannot demolish it and you can only keep it in its current form, so any improvements would have to be strictly monitored. That's why you can't now knock down the Ice House and any changes to
the structure would have to be in line with the original one. Our hand would be tied as to what we could do to it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 51
JK47
March 16, 2024, 2:50pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from Heisenberg

No, Wrexham got turned down.

Yes, it was,  It's difficult finding the definitive version of that.  It seems to have been announced 12 months ago and then turned down.  Two plans had been put forward for funding, one got over £13m and then there was the Racecourse Ground at £25m which was turned down but will be put forward again for the new funding round.  Here's just a few that have been successful in Wales - maybe we need to include some paths and cycle ways .,...

A safe and direct cycle route will be created between Llandudno Junction and Betws y Coed via the Conwy Valley with an £18.6 million grant. The scheme will also include measures to mitigate against flooding.
£17.8 million will restore the historic estate in the Vale of Neath and build new walkways and cycle paths.
There is £17 million for building new walkways and cycle paths to bring people closer together in Holyhead and enable visitors and local people to explore the stunning sites of St Cybi’s Church and the Roman Fort.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 51
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Stockport stadium expansion

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.