JK47
March 15, 2024, 4:03pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I’d like to think that it could be something to help the town and n.e lincs as an area. I’ve mentioned my thoughts on it before but the council/s that have been in place seem to consider the club a burden on the area. Yet, done correctly, it could create an upturn in the area from training apprenticeships, and jobs while building takes place through to full time jobs/careers once a stadium is actually built.

But, while all I hear about is doom and gloom about the councils, it’s not got any chance of any local authority help.

Yes, points I have made many times before.  It seems government money is available to football clubs for non league clubs' training facilities just 20 miles from Blundell Park.  IF an argument were made for a significant community development in the poorest area of the entire UK, then I am sure, with a bit of arm-twisting, we could have a brand new stadium built entirely on government funds.  And there's no time like the few months before an election to make that application!.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 51
David Frazer
March 15, 2024, 4:17pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +0 / -4
Approval: -495
Gold Stars: 5
Well joking apart re the fundraiser ,some of out current stand developement behind the goal ( Stacey West) has been raised by bonds ,also cadburys or nestles have a community bond which we have got and some other grants we have tapped into ! Sadly with Covid costs increasing all building materials the near 3million £ developement has increased X% and has been scaled down.

Money is there but it needs finding by your CEO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 51
RonMariner
March 16, 2024, 7:30am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,723
Gold Stars: 226
Sooner or later the Main Stand is surely going to be condemned, the Osmond with it. So what is going to happen then?

In the meantime we have three unused open corners which could accommodate thousands of additional seats. Adopting a phased approach could we not tackle one corner a year? Wouldn’t have to close other parts of the ground while doing it and the cost per new stand would presumably be nowhere near the eye watering amounts touted for a new stadium.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 51
HertsGTFC
March 16, 2024, 8:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,954
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from RonMariner
Sooner or later the Main Stand is surely going to be condemned, the Osmond with it. So what is going to happen then?

In the meantime we have three unused open corners which could accommodate thousands of additional seats. Adopting a phased approach could we not tackle one corner a year? Wouldn’t have to close other parts of the ground while doing it and the cost per new stand would presumably be nowhere near the eye watering amounts touted for a new stadium.

I’m not a structural engineer, I can just about build Lego so don’t really know anything about construction, I suppose the only way the Main Stand would be condemned is if it where structurally unsafe and we’re spending money on it this summer to avoid that.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 51
dapperz fun pub
March 16, 2024, 9:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,958
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from arryarryarry

Bloomin' eck, been there loads of time since then in fact don't think I missed a game there.

I remember some Stockport fans trying to be a bit massive in the side stand where all the Town fans were but were chased out of the stand onto the pitch side then chased out of the ground.

Another memorable game was the 4-2 win.

I was at that game lots of aggro before and after aswell , Stockport don’t seem to like us for some reason
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 51
GrimPol
March 16, 2024, 9:07am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from RonMariner

Worst still a preservation order will be slapped on it as a listed building (oldest stand in UK)  and then you can't do anything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 51
StacyColdicotts_hairline
March 16, 2024, 9:09am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Approval: +203
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from GrimPol

Worst still a preservation order will be slapped on it as a listed building (oldest stand in UK)  and then you can't do anything.

surely not
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 51
Mappers
March 16, 2024, 9:19am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,335
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I’m not a structural engineer, I can just about build Lego so don’t really know anything about construction, I suppose the only way the Main Stand would be condemned is if it where structurally unsafe and we’re spending money on it this summer to avoid that.

I don't think it will be condemned anytime soon . Like I have said before it's not capacity that's the number one issue for me it's the facilities/views  and general state of the place - it might pull on the heartstrings from a nostalgic point of view but not much more for me .

When you go to NLS games and the facilities are better you realise how far behind we are .

There must be 500 to a 1000 seats where you can't see half the pitch - back of Osmond and The Main being prime examples . You wouldn't go to a cinema if you could only see half the screen would you ? and if you did would be piping up for a refund (the fact people have love and loyalty for the club means they will pay £20 + for something they will only half see).

The same with the disabled facilities , they are just not fit for purpose .

Even if we only ever have the 6000 hardcore support  forever they deserve better imo , surely there are grants available for improving disabled facilities - I thought Stockwood & Cook actually talked about improving them a couple of years ago ? But as yet nothing has happened

It's not the boards fault by any means but to move forward medium to long term it has to be a priority much more than many seem to think ; I suppose an indication of if we can make any substantial improvements will be if the training ground can be delivered and funded for - I can't imagine raising the 6million quid + will be easy for that tbf .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 51
kevikov
March 16, 2024, 9:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from GrimPol

Knowing our luck, baldrick and his mates will find Noah’s ark buried beneath it.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 51
HertsGTFC
March 16, 2024, 10:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,954
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mappers

I don't think it will be condemned anytime soon . Like I have said before it's not capacity that's the number one issue for me it's the facilities/views  and general state of the place - it might pull on the heartstrings from a nostalgic point of view but not much more for me .

When you go to NLS games and the facilities are better you realise how far behind we are .

There must be 500 to a 1000 seats where you can't see half the pitch - back of Osmond and The Main being prime examples . You wouldn't go to a cinema if you could only see half the screen would you ? and if you did would be piping up for a refund (the fact people have love and loyalty for the club means they will pay £20 + for something they will only half see).

The same with the disabled facilities , they are just not fit for purpose .

Even if we only ever have the 6000 hardcore support  forever they deserve better imo , surely there are grants available for improving disabled facilities - I thought Stockwood & Cook actually talked about improving them a couple of years ago ? But as yet nothing has happened

It's not the boards fault by any means but to move forward medium to long term it has to be a priority much more than many seem to think ; I suppose an indication of if we can make any substantial improvements will be if the training ground can be delivered and funded for - I can't imagine raising the 6million quid + will be easy for that tbf .

Agree completely, I sit in the Upper and to be honest though clearly it's a much better view than the Main the facilities are poor and it's not a great experience.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Stockport stadium expansion

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.