March 12, 2024, 11:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Their goalie.

He didn't get booked. None of their players did, I've just checked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
rancido
March 12, 2024, 11:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from toontown
I'll give Artell credit yes, but I'd give him more if he had been able to see what had to be told to him by staff and players at the clear the air meeting post Donny. He certainly got us into quite a mess with his zealotry about playing it out from the back. It's just lucky we had time to turn it around although we certainly aren't safe yet - it wouldn't surprise me if FG's improvement keeps going.

His attitude up until Donny was certainly complacent, not a good look. I do think he has shown he has in game management capability with his subs though, which we haven't had in a while.

Ultimately, even if he keeps us up, the jury is still out - will he return to type the following season or has he developed as manager and learned?

Maybe you can enlighten us all as to exactly what the players and coaching staff said to DA at that meeting?  

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
Limerick Mariner
March 12, 2024, 11:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from heppy88
Really, really enjoyed that one. I think just what we all needed at BP; to see a hard fought, battling performance with plenty of pride, grit and determination and boy, did the fans respond in kind. I forgot what it could be like at BP when the crowd get going, but it was just like a cauldron. It helps when the opposition do their best to cheat (They had clearly done their homework on these officials) their way through the game, coupled with inept (being polite!) officials. The crowd soon got behind the players and the players all put in a performance any GTFC supporter would want to see. Well done to the staff, players and fans, for a great nights entertainment. Buzzing.

DA was certainly buzzing in the post-match - was like a big kid talking about the fans - probably struggle to sleep tonight. The thing is he’s not really experienced fans getting behind his team before, having only managed Crewe…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
HarrogateMariner
March 12, 2024, 11:30pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
I am sure I am in the minority, but I love matches like that. Always interested in the tactical battles,  the whole defence v attack scenario. As others have said, Artell set us up perfectly. For all their short passing and little triangles, apart from one shot off the line, they had no clear chances. Says a bit about wanting to play that way all the time. Sure, it looks good, but I am not convinced you can be consistently good at it at our level and get results.

Defence was fantastic. I was far from convinced at first, but Tharme is looking better and better with every game. Shows you should not judge a player after a couple of games. In fact, all Artells signings are impressing. I think we all thought Obikwu was going to be another Dickson-Peters, but he has been excellent. Credit to Artell or the recruitment team for finding him. Thompson impressive as well.

Rodgers back to early season form and Clifton deserves credit for how easily he has adapted to right back/ right wing back. Does not look out of place at all.

Yes, we do need some new players in the summer  but I have seen enough over the past 5 matches to suggest a complete overhaul is not required. Many individuals now showing just how good they are. Finally, one thing you can't throw at them is a lack of commitment. Since Doncaster, it is clear they are playing for the manager/club. Look at the celebrations at the end. Yes, you can question ability at times, but commitment to the cause can not be questioned. From where we were a month ago, it's some turn around, and Artell, the coaching staff and players all deserve great credit for that.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
mariner91
March 12, 2024, 11:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Great performance. Tactical masterclass from Artell in keeping our shape tight but also pressing at exactly the right times. And huge credit to the players as it takes a lot of concentration and discipline to be able to perform like that for 90 minutes. Thompson is fantastic, he reads and understands the game so well and you can hear him marshalling the rest of the team. Also a big shout out to Tharme who has barely made a mistake since we've gone to five at the back. Still a bit of a way to go but if we keep it up we'll be fine. Great to see the fans really back the team tonight and the players really respond to it too.

That was the worst refereeing performance I've ever seen though. He was beyond hopeless. Started off horrendously with the yellow for Gnahoua who had taken the ball cleanly ahead of their defender who had kicked the bottom of Arthur's boot. And that was just the start. So many awful, awful decisions and you really have to question whether that ref actually understands the game at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
LocalLadGTFC
March 12, 2024, 11:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Maringer

I'm not sure if day that Hume's booking was for next to nothing, but I agree that at least a couple of their players should have been booked as well.

Humes was a definite booking, he nearly chopped there winger in half. I love his intensity, he’s always straight out to his winger and always leaves something on him.. has that nastiness about him you like to see in a defender.. can’t see him being here next season but i’d be giving him whatever he wanted to make sure he is.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 56
TownSNAFU5
March 12, 2024, 11:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Gillingham next?  Lowest scorers in the Division.  They lost tonight and had a player sent off.  Change of manager not helped.  Fans want a complete clear out at the end of the season.  They were not good at BP.

We have another good chance.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
toontown
March 12, 2024, 11:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from rancido

Maybe you can enlighten us all as to exactly what the players and coaching staff said to DA at that meeting?  

Well I sure can tell you one thing, although it should be obvious to anybody with eyes. He was told that the obsession with starting each and every goal kick with 2 CBs playing along the 6 yard box had to go.

Remember how he went mental not all that long ago at Cartwright when, after we were struggling with it yet again, he decided to kick the ball out from a goal kick instead. That isn't a manager that wanted his goalie to mix it up and sometimes go long, or use his own judgement, that's a manager that's trying to impose his philosophy on to players regardless of ability or results.

We never play that way now, ever. That was clearly part of the discussion, and rightly so. But he had to be told by others what should have been obvious. Whether it will come back if we find ourselves safe, and to what degree, hopefully we will find out cos that means we've done enough with the new way of playing to be safe.

Like I say, I hope he's learned and realised football has to be pragmatic sometimes and not all players can play in the Crewe way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
Theimperialcoroner
March 13, 2024, 12:00am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from mariner91

That was the worst refereeing performance I've ever seen though. He was beyond hopeless. Started off horrendously with the yellow for Gnahoua who had taken the ball cleanly ahead of their defender who had kicked the bottom of Arthur's boot. And that was just the start. So many awful, awful decisions and you really have to question whether that ref actually understands the game at all.

Astonishing comment considering you’ve seen me ref more than once.

You are correct though.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
forza ivano
March 13, 2024, 12:07am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
Gold Stars: 265
can't add much more to that, a massive, massive win.

Tharme improves every game as he gets fitter and more confident. Getting 2 x 90 minutes out of Thompson is a big, big win - he is absolutely superb. Thought Eisa, Arthur n Obikwu put in massive shifts,poor old Gav had an absolute stinker.
Word for Andrews who I thought came on and did lots of good things. Hume is just so good, would be amazed if he's here next season, whist Mullarky n Rodgers just look like different players.
Harvey didn't have a save to make, but 1 observation, i think he could be more decisive and commanding coming off his line , he looks a bit dithery sometimes.
Green's little cameo was interesting, as for the 2nd game on the trot he's actually looked quite competent with the ball at his feet, rather  his previous incarnation as the 100% committed destroyer with the touch of  a Sunday morning player
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.