Poojah
March 7, 2024, 10:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,583
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Mappers

Ideally a Gateshead or Bromley come up with Chesterfield , they are not bankrolled and would be low hitters .

Yeah, when you look at those potentially following Chestefield up, it doesn’t look the most appetising.

Barnet’s not the worst if you go via central London but still a bit of a schlep on the tube / train. Bromley and Solihull just urgh (although Bromley would at least have to get rid of their plastic pitch). Oldham’s not the worst location-wise, but I still have nightmares about that Scott Vernon inspired 6-0 (and my paradoxical pie) and can’t help but feel they deserve at least another year in purgatory.

Gateshead I have very mixed feelings about. There’s no doubting that their ground is the single worst place to watch a game of football across the top 5 tiers (and possibly beyond), and again memories of our play-off injustice there still hurt. That said, that 6-1 win there just a couple of months later was both hugely entertaining and cathartic. I also learned that day that it’s a piece of píss to get the train into Newcastle city centre and then jump on the metro to the ground, so that does up the ante a bit in terms of away day potential.

I don’t fancy Aldershot or Altrincham much, and then beyond that you’ve got Halifax and Hartlepool - the latter with a very long shot admittedly.

If I had a choice it’d be Halifax all day long, a combination of a convenient location, decent-ish ground and a few cracking pubs in close proximity. I think we’re more likely to end up with one of the above, though.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 46
diehardmariner
March 7, 2024, 11:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Assuming we stay up, I am absolutely terrified about our summer recruitment and how we start next season, if Artell doesn't leave as part of the end of season post-mortem.

Why?  

His recruitment in January was ok.  

Thompson and Hume improvements, I think Tharm looks to be that younger version of Waterfall we needed and now he's settled looks very much the one you use a lynchpin at the back and surround with 'better' footballers.  Smith hasn't impressed and I think Obikwu took a few games to get going but looked good in his last start. 3/5 definite improvements, 1 with the jury out on a little still.  I'd take that level of improvement every window.

Conteh leaving was out of Artell's hands.  Waterfall was a spent force at this level. Khan was/is never fit. Amos was well down the pecking order and general consensus was that we need to upgrade on him.  Hunt, who I'm a big fan of, hasn't exactly done anything at York so far to suggest Artell got that wrong (and he's also stated that he still views him as having a future next season).  Conteh aside, again out of his control, there's no-one we're looking longingly at.

Artell gets a summer of recruitment on his own terms and he can bring in the right players for the system he wants to play.  
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 46
Hagrid
March 7, 2024, 11:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,424
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from Poojah

Yeah, when you look at those potentially following Chestefield up, it doesn’t look the most appetising.

Barnet’s not the worst if you go via central London but still a bit of a schlep on the tube / train. Bromley and Solihull just urgh (although Bromley would at least have to get rid of their plastic pitch). Oldham’s not the worst location-wise, but I still have nightmares about that Scott Vernon inspired 6-0 (and my paradoxical pie) and can’t help but feel they deserve at least another year in purgatory.

Gateshead I have very mixed feelings about. There’s no doubting that their ground is the single worst place to watch a game of football across the top 5 tiers (and possibly beyond), and again memories of our play-off injustice there still hurt. That said, that 6-1 win there just a couple of months later was both hugely entertaining and cathartic. I also learned that day that it’s a piece of píss to get the train into Newcastle city centre and then jump on the metro to the ground, so that does up the ante a bit in terms of away day potential.

I don’t fancy Aldershot or Altrincham much, and then beyond that you’ve got Halifax and Hartlepool - the latter with a very long shot admittedly.

If I had a choice it’d be Halifax all day long, a combination of a convenient location, decent-ish ground and a few cracking pubs in close proximity. I think we’re more likely to end up with one of the above, though.

I enjoy Barnet, Halifax is awful, we never ever win there. Wouldnt say its conveniant either.

Altrincham and Oldham are allright, rest are hideous
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 46
Poojah
March 7, 2024, 11:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,583
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Hagrid

I enjoy Barnet, Halifax is awful, we never ever win there. Wouldnt say its conveniant either.

Can’t argue with our appalling record at the Shay, certainly in my time watching Town, anyway. There’s some really good pubs in the town centre though, and it’s very convenient for me (half-an-hour in a taxi if I don’t fancy driving), so I might be slightly biased in that regard.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 46
Mariner_09
March 7, 2024, 11:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Hagrid

Barnet would be my pick. Easy for me to do from south London, decent ground, always take a good following and we often get a result there.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 46
GrimRob
March 7, 2024, 11:43am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,414
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Artell was hired to play the "Grimsby Way" and part of the reason for Hurst going, was an inability to play the "Grimsby Way", so at some point the board are going to start judging Artell on his ability to get the team playing the "Grimsby Way."

If we start winning games regularly then attendances will rise, if we lose most of them then fans will fall away. Grimsby Way or any other way, the basic reality is we'll be locking people out if we win every game.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 46
Mayaman
March 7, 2024, 12:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from diehardmariner

Why?  

His recruitment in January was ok.  

Thompson and Hume improvements, I think Tharm looks to be that younger version of Waterfall we needed and now he's settled looks very much the one you use a lynchpin at the back and surround with 'better' footballers.  Smith hasn't impressed and I think Obikwu took a few games to get going but looked good in his last start. 3/5 definite improvements, 1 with the jury out on a little still.  I'd take that level of improvement every window.

Conteh leaving was out of Artell's hands.  Waterfall was a spent force at this level. Khan was/is never fit. Amos was well down the pecking order and general consensus was that we need to upgrade on him.  Hunt, who I'm a big fan of, hasn't exactly done anything at York so far to suggest Artell got that wrong (and he's also stated that he still views him as having a future next season).  Conteh aside, again out of his control, there's no-one we're looking longingly at.

Artell gets a summer of recruitment on his own terms and he can bring in the right players for the system he wants to play.  

A sound assessment, I'd say.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Bottom 4's Projected Points and Form

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.