Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Tuesday Night Games at the Bottom (MERGED)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Tuesday Night Games at the Bottom (MERGED)

This thread currently has 22,295 views. Print
30 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
February 28, 2024, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from denni266
Its more than squeaky bum time . And its for next season as much as this that worries me. Its clear that we do not have the money to compete at the top end of div 2 let alone div 1..I aplaud JS & AP for spending their money to get rid of fenty and can  clearly run and make money in business  but football is no ordanary business. Anyone who thinks they can run a football club and make money enough to keep going forward needs their bumps felt.. It needs money pelting in to it just to stand still. And that will not happen so we will just keep going backwards on the pitch apart from the odd game or two. The future looks a bit grim and the mighty mariners are just mariners all at sea a rough one at that

But the owners repeatedly say we are not here to make the numbers up. They seem honourable men, so they  must have a plan to get us to compete. To be fair, had we spent the summer kitty more wisely things wouldn't have got like this.
Private Message
Reply: 250 - 294
jamesgtfc
February 28, 2024, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,966
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from forza ivano
Assuming we do relegated (into what will be a pretty weak NL) does anyone on here have any confidence that Artell would take us back up?

No.

I feel that Artell will go as part of this end of season post-mortem if we stay up. If he stays, I am really worried that we will be in this situation in October. I have no faith that he is the man to take us forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 251 - 294
Captaincod
February 28, 2024, 11:01am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +247
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Poojah

I personally don’t see both Town going down and Artell still being here is a likely scenario, but to answer your question there are very few managers who have won promotion from the National League in their first season in non-league. I can’t name any off the top of my head.

Luke Williams , Dave Challinor ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 252 - 294
Mappers
February 28, 2024, 11:02am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118

But the owners repeatedly say we are not here to make the numbers up. They seem honourable men, so they  must have a plan to get us to compete. To be fair, had we spent the summer kitty more wisely things wouldn't have got like this.

There is a counter argument that we probably had a decentish budget but yet are still languishing towards the bottom three .

At the time I said it would be great if the cup money went on something(s) tangible - improved disabled facilities , a small capacity increase and a slight reduction in season ticket prices;  'giving something back ' to the fans rather than splashing likely a decent proportion of that money on player salaries & paying off a manager .

I know people want the money to go on 'the pitch on Saturday ' but when things transpire the way they have it seems a shame the money has been essentially erroded with nothing meanigful or any sort of minor legacy coming out of it .

Sure many will disagree, just my point of view

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 253 - 294
Poojah
February 28, 2024, 11:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,578
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from Captaincod

Challinor had managed a good 500 games in non-league before he won promotion from the National League with Hartlepool. Luke Williams on the other hand is a good shout (County were well coined, however).

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 254 - 294
jamesgtfc
February 28, 2024, 11:09am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

There is a counter argument that we probably had a decentish budget but yet are still languishing towards the bottom three .

At the time I said it would be great if the cup money went on something(s) tangible - improved disabled facilities , a small capacity increase and a slight reduction in season ticket prices;  'giving something back ' to the fans rather than splashing likely a decent proportion of that money on player salaries & paying off a manager .

I know people want the money to go on 'the pitch on Saturday ' but when things transpire the way they have it seems a shame the money has been essentially erroded with nothing meanigful or any sort of minor legacy coming out of it .

Sure many will disagree, just my point of view

The aim from the top is year on year improvement. We definitely haven't improved this season and you can't even call it a minor bump that needs a couple of minor tweaks to kick on next season.

Cup runs shouldn't be budgeted for, so we should be aiming to improve irrespective of football fortune. Let's assume the cup run generated £1.5m. £500k extra into a playing budget with £1m on tangible benefits should still make for a great platform to kick on from.

We've fallen on our arsé, and whatever cup money went on the budget has been well and truly pïsséd up the wall, Danny Rose excepted.

Charles Vernam on a 3 year deal baffled me at the time. He's done his hamstring again apparently!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 255 - 294
jamesgtfc
February 28, 2024, 11:11am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Challinor had managed a good 500 games in non-league before he won promotion from the National League with Hartlepool. Luke Williams on the other hand is a good shout (County were well coined, however).

A management team to keep an eye on is Adam Hinshelwood and his staff who have just been appointed as the new York management team after a few years at Worthing.

Certainly a management team to keep an eye on for the future in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 256 - 294
friskneymariner
February 28, 2024, 11:15am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from denni266
Its more than squeaky bum time . And its for next season as much as this that worries me. Its clear that we do not have the money to compete at the top end of div 2 let alone div 1..I aplaud JS & AP for spending their money to get rid of fenty and can  clearly run and make money in business  but football is no ordanary business. Anyone who thinks they can run a football club and make money enough to keep going forward needs their bumps felt.. It needs money pelting in to it just to stand still. And that will not happen so we will just keep going backwards on the pitch apart from the odd game or two. The future looks a bit grim and the mighty mariners are just mariners all at sea a rough one at that

Calm seas never made a good mariner.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 257 - 294
friskneymariner
February 28, 2024, 11:17am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Captaincod

Never accept Challinor after what he did to Martin Pringle.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 258 - 294
Mappers
February 28, 2024, 11:21am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The aim from the top is year on year improvement. We definitely haven't improved this season and you can't even call it a minor bump that needs a couple of minor tweaks to kick on next season.

Cup runs shouldn't be budgeted for, so we should be aiming to improve irrespective of football fortune. Let's assume the cup run generated £1.5m. £500k extra into a playing budget with £1m on tangible benefits should still make for a great platform to kick on from.

We've fallen on our arsé, and whatever cup money went on the budget has been well and truly pïsséd up the wall, Danny Rose excepted.

Charles Vernam on a 3 year deal baffled me at the time. He's done his hamstring again apparently!

I suppose the question is then - where next for Grimsby Town ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 259 - 294
30 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Tuesday Night Games at the Bottom (MERGED)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.