Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Tuesday Night Games at the Bottom (MERGED)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Tuesday Night Games at the Bottom (MERGED)

This thread currently has 22,572 views. Print
30 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
February 28, 2024, 8:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
People from the outside looking in will see our games in hand and GD & would probably say we’ve a decent chance of staying up (cannot believe it’s come to this).

Based on PPG we probably need 4 or 5 wins in the last 14 games to stay up, if 3 of those are against the bottom 4 then it’ll almost certainly seal it. However, we absolutely have to start picking those points up now, Saturday is an absolute must win, not just for the points but the mentality of the squad.

I’d last night wasn’t the worst set of results, if you told me that one of the teams that played had won, I’d have preferred it to be Sutton than the others. We really need Colchester to be sucked into the scrap as opposed to 3 of us playing for 1 spot.

Things could look extremely different on Saturday, hopefully in our favour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 294
supertown
February 28, 2024, 8:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
I know the owners have backed the manager but I think he will be gone if we lose on Sat. They wouldn’t just let us sink without giving it a chance surely . That said , I hope we get the desperately needed win . Realistically it all points to a draw and ‘as you were’
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 294
Hagrid
February 28, 2024, 9:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,484
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from pontoonlew
People from the outside looking in will see our games in hand and GD & would probably say we’ve a decent chance of staying up (cannot believe it’s come to this).

Based on PPG we probably need 4 or 5 wins in the last 14 games to stay up, if 3 of those are against the bottom 4 then it’ll almost certainly seal it. However, we absolutely have to start picking those points up now, Saturday is an absolute must win, not just for the points but the mentality of the squad.

I’d last night wasn’t the worst set of results, if you told me that one of the teams that played had won, I’d have preferred it to be Sutton than the others. We really need Colchester to be sucked into the scrap as opposed to 3 of us playing for 1 spot.

Things could look extremely different on Saturday, hopefully in our favour.

My big worry is the players, they dont look like a group who have any belief in themselves to drag us out of this. I hope he sticks with harry at right back and the 2 up top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 294
geir
February 28, 2024, 9:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9

It is squeaky bum time now for sure. Never thought this season would end in a relegation scrap. I think even most of the bookmakers had us safely placed in the table before kick-off of the first game.
I still believe that we have a good chance to avoid relegation, provided that the team's effort shown in the last match continues. If everything goes wrong for Artell, we have Shaun and Ben who demonstrated their ability to earn points for the team earlier in the season, so in the worst-case scenario, they can take over until the end of the season and hopefully do enough to keep us up.

"Come join the fan club of Grimsby Town - you will never have a boring season."  

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 294
denni266
February 28, 2024, 9:28am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +697
Gold Stars: 132
Its more than squeaky bum time . And its for next season as much as this that worries me. Its clear that we do not have the money to compete at the top end of div 2 let alone div 1..I aplaud JS & AP for spending their money to get rid of fenty and can  clearly run and make money in business  but football is no ordanary business. Anyone who thinks they can run a football club and make money enough to keep going forward needs their bumps felt.. It needs money pelting in to it just to stand still. And that will not happen so we will just keep going backwards on the pitch apart from the odd game or two. The future looks a bit grim and the mighty mariners are just mariners all at sea a rough one at that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 294
Mappers
February 28, 2024, 9:36am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,474
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from denni266
Its more than squeaky bum time . And its for next season as much as this that worries me. Its clear that we do not have the money to compete at the top end of div 2 let alone div 1..I aplaud JS & AP for spending their money to get rid of fenty and can  clearly run and make money in business  but football is no ordanary business. Anyone who thinks they can run a football club and make money enough to keep going forward needs their bumps felt.. It needs money pelting in to it just to stand still. And that will not happen so we will just keep going backwards on the pitch apart from the odd game or two. The future looks a bit grim and the mighty mariners are just mariners all at sea a rough one at that

On the pitch it's difficult to compete at the top end but there are anomalies - Crewe ,Morecambe ,Harrogate and Barrow are far out performing their budgets you would suspect this season . We no doubt are underperforming badly against the budget we have . I think it was more the recruitment in hindsight was just really really bad - Eastwood , Wilson , Vernam , Pyke , Rodgers etc have all not played many minutes or in Rodgers case been poor .

If we want to be bigger hitters ,further investment is undoubtedly needed  for the longer term though.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 294
forza ivano
February 28, 2024, 10:12am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Assuming we do relegated (into what will be a pretty weak NL) does anyone on here have any confidence that Artell would take us back up?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 294
Poojah
February 28, 2024, 10:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,756
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from forza ivano
Assuming we do relegated (into what will be a pretty weak NL) does anyone on here have any confidence that Artell would take us back up?

I personally don’t see both Town going down and Artell still being here is a likely scenario, but to answer your question there are very few managers who have won promotion from the National League in their first season in non-league. I can’t name any off the top of my head.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 294
ska face
February 28, 2024, 10:31am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
If we go down we go down, at least the fans can hold their hands up and say this time it definitely wasn’t anything to do with us.

Not sure I can manage another summer of interviews with signings saying “massive club at this level, should be a league club really”. The thought knocks me ill 🤢
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 294
pontoonlew
February 28, 2024, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from denni266

In fairness though there are examples of teams not splashing the cash in the top 12 this season. Crewe, Walsall, Newport, Morecambe spring to mind as teams still in with a shot of promotion. Barrow & Harrogate have likely spent above their means but I’d hazard a guess that they’re not far off our budget either.

I don’t think our current budget isn’t on that can’t put us in that mix, but we’ve got the goalkeeper & defensive positions so badly wrong this season & we’re being brutally punished for it most weeks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 294
30 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Tuesday Night Games at the Bottom (MERGED)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.