Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back......
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back......

This thread currently has 8,098 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Phil the cod
February 24, 2024, 5:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
A gutsy performance against a decent team.
Could of nicked it at the end.
They were the better side but we battled well and the team got a decent ovation at the end.
Lineman absolutely shocking all game.
Private Message
chaos33
February 24, 2024, 6:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
I’ve been forcefully critical and vocal in castigating the manager and the appalling failure to address our inability to defend properly (especially at home), but I think a little credit is due for doing much better today. Sure, it’s basic stuff, and we’ve been right to expect better standards, but I felt it was a nailed on defeat if we didn’t do something about that today, but, despite losing half a dozen players to illness and injuries at the 11th hour, we’ve battled our way to a decent point with a hugely improved application and organisation performance . We could’ve won that game if the nailed on penalty for the foul on Rose had been given or Gav hadn’t missed the late sitter.

We started better, not only by not conceding pathetically, but by scoring and there was evidently a significant improvement in our application for 90 minutes, so I think it’s fair to say well done and be somewhat satisfied with the point.

Bigger picture - well the FGR result today has made things worse in terms of our prospects, so the imperative to beat them at home next week is even greater. I might feel Artell is wrong for us, but the staff and players deserve some credit today with several individuals raising their standards significantly. Decent result, much better performance, and the evident recalibration and renewal of the squad’s sense of competence and fight is a positive.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 60
jimgtfc
February 24, 2024, 6:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 45
If one of our relegation rivals had drawn away at play off chasing Morecambe, we’d have said it was a decent point, and that’s what that is today. We’ve got to realise it’s not about how and when we get results now, or how many points clear we were last week compared to this, it’s all about after 46 games, and being that one point or even goal difference above 2 other teams that counts.

Credit where it’s due today, Artell has changed it about a bit and it got us a result. Although, I think he would say that was as far away from a David Artell style performance as you’ll get. Could’ve won it, should’ve lost it, huge game next week!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 60
jonnyboy82
February 24, 2024, 6:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Listen I've been critical over the past few weeks and rightly so , But today they came away from a playoff chasing team with a point ( who by the way shows how excrement this league is ) because they ain't no way a promotion team  .

So we'll done the team the manager the fans who travelled but we have a long long way to go. Let's hope we can pick up some points now because we seriously need to but a good battling performance today from the lads.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 60
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
February 24, 2024, 6:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,699
Gold Stars: 72
Harry clifton looked really good in that wingback position
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 60
chaos33
February 24, 2024, 6:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Today’s standards should’ve been on show long before now. If they had - we wouldn’t be in this mess. It’s taken weeks for us to show we can do basic things competently.
Now we’ve done it today, we need to hold this team and it’s manager to that. I’ve always said that Town fans will accept mixed results, and the odd stinking performance if they see spirit, organisation, competency etc, but I feel that sub par performances have become endemic, and, worse than that, there’ve been thousands of words obfuscating and denying and babbling to the opposite effect. If today represents a step forward and a raising of standards, then that must be solidified and shown as the default - principally at home- not a freak one off.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 60
barralad
February 24, 2024, 6:51pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Waiting for the train back to civilisation.
A few things.
1. The fans will get behind the team given the slightest encouraging sign. The early goal absolutely transformed the atmosphere in the away end. It was a very good goal with a great cross in and clinical from Rose to finish.
2. Town were the better side throughout the first half BUT it was clear that some players were struggling before the hour mark. I think the subs came on about 70 minutes.
3. Cartwright got some of the blame for their goal but there was a lot of luck attached to it and our failing was almost certainly yet another failure to stop a cross coming in. He redeemed himself with a pair of very good saves to keep the score at 1-1.
4. The young lad from Coventry did well for his first start and grew in confidence as the game went on.
5. A chap behind me last week said Danny Rose shouldn't captain the side. Today he did everything (and more) you would expect from a captain- talking to the younger players, and leading by example all over the park. I dread to think where we'd be without his effort (and goals).
6. In my view the subs were a bit late. We had players dead on their feet after an hour.
A point is a point and it would have been three had Gav had the same amount of luck their lad did on their equaliser.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 60
chaos33
February 24, 2024, 7:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad
A few things.
1. The fans will get behind the team given the slightest encouraging sign. The early goal absolutely transformed the atmosphere in the away end. It was a very good goal with a great cross in and clinical from Rose to finish.
2. Town were the better side throughout the first half BUT it was clear that some players were struggling before the hour mark. I think the subs came on about 70 minutes.
3. Cartwright got some of the blame for their goal but there was a lot of luck attached to it and our failing was almost certainly yet another failure to stop a cross coming in. He redeemed himself with a pair of very good saves to keep the score at 1-1.
4. The young lad from Coventry did well for his first start and grew in confidence as the game went on.
5. A chap behind me last week said Danny Rose shouldn't captain the side. Today he did everything (and more) you would expect from a captain- talking to the younger players, and leading by example all over the park. I dread to think where we'd be without his effort (and goals).
6. In my view the subs were a bit late. We had players dead on their feet after an hour.
A point is a point and it would have been three had Gav had the same amount of luck their lad did on their equaliser.

Always enjoy and agree with your judgements Ian. Safe journey home mate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 60
It Bites
February 24, 2024, 7:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,222
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from barralad
A few things.

Therein lies the problem with idiots at football matches. Rose is probably the best example of a professional footballer we’ve had in 20 years .
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 60
Wrights35
February 24, 2024, 7:36pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: +31
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from barralad
A few things.

Spot on !!

In Hurst we trust !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 60
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back......

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.