6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
davmariner
January 27, 2024, 11:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Taking some pelters from numpties on Twitter over his interview. Personally I didn’t see anything wrong with it.

Whether you’re supportive or sceptical of Artell, surely we can agree that the media asking tough questions (especially given our poor form) is an important part of ensuring the team is answerable to the fans?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
January 27, 2024, 11:23pm
Guest User
Fúck all he can do with monosyllabic answers ffs.
Reply: 1 - 50
Andy
January 27, 2024, 11:31pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +143
Gold Stars: 1
Personally would listen to Matt Dean's questioning of DA than John Tondeur's line of questions every time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 50
Badger57
January 27, 2024, 11:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,914
Gold Stars: 30
Thought he asked questions that needed asking. He certainly didn't back off or be too scared to follow up on initial queries like some others would have done. I thought he did very well and I liked the way D.A. answered honestly too whilst not answering questions that might be detrimental to securing new players. Excellent interview in my eyes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 50
Poojah
January 27, 2024, 11:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,603
Gold Stars: 1,503
No fúcking about from Matt Dean, and fair enough. Serve up cold, unfriendly football, get cold, unfriendly questions.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 50
GrimRob
January 27, 2024, 11:50pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,420
Gold Stars: 113
Anything is better than "official" vetted questions that insult the fans. Jolley couldn't deal with the questions. It's part of the job. As is the baying from the Main Stand.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 50
Nelly GTFC
January 28, 2024, 12:07am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,753
Gold Stars: 31
Probally linked elsewhere, just listened to it myself >>  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0h7jffj

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 50
AncientExiledMariner
January 28, 2024, 12:12am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Twitter is a toxic cesspool. Anyone who goes on it knows it's going to be a toxic cesspool. Best to get off it.

If you really need to condense your thoughts down to a limited number of character, there is always Mastodon which is open source and isn't designed to get you wound up to keep you clicking so they can get more advertising money. Tightly wound people wind people tightly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 50
MaccasBoots
January 28, 2024, 12:35am
Snakebite drinker
Approval: +685
Gold Stars: 23
Sorry, I'm normally a fan of Matt's, but I did think some of his questions today seemed unnecessary and deliberately designed to provoke a reaction from Artell.

Both the nature of the questions (e.g. repeatedly asking him to criticise Glennon - weird), and in the style of questioning. Seriously, relisten to that interview and imagine how you would feel if you were in Artell's shoes.

Hopefully just a bizarre one off from MD and he can get back to his usual good standard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 50
immariner
January 28, 2024, 12:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Sorry, I'm normally a fan of Matt's, but I did think some of his questions today seemed unnecessary and deliberately designed to provoke a reaction from Artell.

Both the nature of the questions (e.g. repeatedly asking him to criticise Glennon - weird), and in the style of questioning. Seriously, relisten to that interview and imagine how you would feel if you were in Artell's shoes.

Hopefully just a bizarre one off from MD and he can get back to his usual good standard.

Have to agree really. Couple of big cringes for me when MD refused to say the word relegation so when DA said it he acted like it was a gotcha, and the persistent questioning about the trialist that DA could never have been realistically expected to answer. Seems to me like MD went into that interview with too much of his frustrated supporter head on and not enough of his objective journalist head
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 50
arryarryarry
January 28, 2024, 12:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
Can't imagine Artell being interviewed by David Burns.

D.B. was never afraid to ask questions that would urine a manager off, Jolley for example.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
aussiej
January 28, 2024, 1:51am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +118
Gold Stars: 17
Nothing wrong with the questions. In fact i thought he could have followed up more at times, especiolly about what you are going to do to address the grave threat of relegation. If we are relegated again so soon i think there will be a real danger of losing the fans and consequently losing the club.
Personally i think we will be relegated as this club has got it written all over it. This squad of players we are left with are terrible and i find it hard to find a first eleven capable of performing to 2nd division standards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
StacyColdicotts_hairline
January 28, 2024, 7:11am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Approval: +203
Gold Stars: 1
Excellent questions from Dean and ones that needed asking.

Artell excrement the bed and had no real answers.

Its all very worrying

Very unimpressed with Artell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
The Dogs Testicles
January 28, 2024, 7:28am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Approval: -122
Gold Stars: 12
Absolutely spot on from Matt Dean, as per!!

He only asked the direct/straight to the point questions that we were all thinking whilst driving home from the game.

He asked about Glennon because our fullbacks have been so focussed on attacking that they’ve failed to do their primary task for weeks and in doing so, massively contributed to shipping a boat load of goals in!!

As for Artel, I’m seriously not convinced and whilst people always tend to blame PH, I’m really worried that his recruitment may leave a huge mess for his successor to dig out!!

I bet even JS & AP are having second thoughts.

He’s coming across as a big arrogant and a bit of a Billy 🐮 💩 er!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
GhostDan
January 28, 2024, 7:52am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Nothing wrong with the Matt Deans questioning at all - he’s seen exactly what Grimsby Town sleep walking out of the Football League looks like first hand and it sounded to me like he was trying to make Artell aware of that possibility.

I shudder with fear when I hear him say we won’t go down, or that we’ve got too many good players to go down. We have 1 win in 7 and are 20th in League Two - if we have as many good players as he says, it would be brilliant if they could come forward pretty quick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
Spurn boy
January 28, 2024, 8:48am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
I thought it was a good interview by Matt Dean who sort of vented his frustration and disappointment of watching that game as not only a commentator but also as a representative of us fans who would never have the opportunity to ask DA those questions. I thought DA answered them honestly but at the same time protecting his players, he knows we played crap and he also knows it is not going to be easy to get his vision across to the majority of the players.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
January 28, 2024, 9:09am
Guest User
It was a good interview by DA, he answered all the questions and, quite rightly refused to criticise individuals, which was what MD, quite wrongly was asking him to do.  Of course it was a difficult interview for him, and I believe these interviews take place pretty soon after the match has ended.  You could clearly see that DA was visibly annoyed and frustrated that the team failed to adhere to his instructions for the game, so I am of the opinion that in those circumstances he handled the interview quite well.
Reply: 16 - 50
Yarborough Vaults
January 28, 2024, 9:26am
Beer Drinker
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Great interview with MD really holding DA to account for that dross.

Also MD knew his stuff there, when DA started being evasive about the trialist MD pushed him on it with the name and position. If DA had wanted to sound as though he was addressing issues we can all see, he would have volunteered that himself.

We need more MD and less in house PR especially when things are going wrong as they are now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
HertsGTFC
January 28, 2024, 9:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
MD doing his job well and in the right manner.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 28, 2024, 9:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,839
Gold Stars: 178
The only thing I don’t like about naming trialists is the fact it makes other clubs aware and our hand is somewhat forced. You could hear that DA  didn’t really want to discuss it as it’s obviously ongoing

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
moosey_club
January 28, 2024, 9:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,269
Gold Stars: 226
The asking of naming trialists or even transfer targets is poor journalism to me but they all do it.....its pointless as I have rarely/ever heard a manager of any club reveal anything of substance to that question.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
MuddyWaters
January 28, 2024, 9:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,262
Gold Stars: 236
Matt was right on the money in the interview.

If you want a positive, he accepted that we were rubbish. Amongst the negatives, it was with a squad that we're mostly stuck with.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
sam gy
January 28, 2024, 10:15am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Matt asked the questions and Artell answered them. Don’t really see the problem though I think it’s perhaps unfair to ask him to dig out players or name transfer targets (though they all ask this.)

Don’t think he was being prickly with MD at the beginning with one word answers, just think he was visibly drunk off at the performance and was showing that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
friskneymariner
January 28, 2024, 10:42am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from 123614
It was a good interview by DA, he answered all the questions and, quite rightly refused to criticise individuals, which was what MD, quite wrongly was asking him to do.  Of course it was a difficult interview for him, and I believe these interviews take place pretty soon after the match has ended.  You could clearly see that DA was visibly annoyed and frustrated that the team failed to adhere to his instructions for the game, so I am of the opinion that in those circumstances he handled the interview quite well.

He was in full Selwyn mode,very rattled underneath and totally out of his depth.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
Croxton
January 28, 2024, 11:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,017
Gold Stars: 33
Good in parts but not Dean's best work.

Dean asked some of the questions fans wanted to hear but allowed Artell to make repeated assertions about what players did wrong without challenge. e.g ''wacking it all the time''. This was one feature for sure, but there was also some inept parody of passing it round the back whilst midfielders failed to show for the ball. Dean let that go.

On throw ins, Artell said he didn't want players to ''keep throwing it down the line''. Actually, You could see that we tried to avoid that option even when a player moved into space. Tranmere, and every other team we play, show us how to move defenders around to create space. The real issue Dean failed to identify was how static players like Harry and Eisa were sometimes.

Instead , Dean talked about alarm bells in a roundabout way trying to trick Artell into mentioning 'relegation'. Not clever. When he wasn't being disingenuous he was unnecessarily direct. ''Why don't the players want to play the way you want to play?''

Dean wanted full value for his tip off about the triallist and when it was rightly deflected he still persisted. He should know that the club, the player and several other actors in this process would have been hacked off by the manager being unprofessional about a potential signing.

Dean is a fan, a good commentator and generally interviews respectfully but it was a difficult listen with flashbacks of the Curtis Woodhouse debacle.

I say this as one who is not comfortable with Artell's appointment but was prepared to give him 'the window'. He needs a very good week ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
headingly_mariner
January 28, 2024, 1:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
Really good questions to a really shite interviewee.

He just talks balderdash, laid all the blame with the players and was rightly asked what part he had in that and what he was going to do about it.

He's a bit prickly and seems to have a touch of the intellectual snobbery. Alright being an arrogant girl private if you're Jose Mourinho, not if you've just been rolled over by Tranmere. Easy to blame the players, but he got it wrong yesterday and didn't change it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
headingly_mariner
January 28, 2024, 1:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Quoted from Croxton
Good in parts but not Dean's best work.

Dean asked some of the questions fans wanted to hear but allowed Artell make repeated assertions about what players did wrong without challenge. e.g ''wacking it all the time''. This was one feature for sure, but there was also some inept parody of passing it round the back whilst midfielders failed to show for the ball. Dean let that go.

On throw ins, Artell said he didn't want players to ''keep throwing it down the line''. Actually, You could see that we tried to avoid that option even when a player moved into space. Tranmere, and every other team we play, show us how to move defenders around to create space. The real issue Dean failed to identify was how static players like Harry and Eisa were sometimes.

Instead , Dean talked about alarm bells in a roundabout way trying to trick Artell into mentioning 'relegation'. Not clever. When he wasn't being disingenuous he was unnecessarily direct. ''Why don't the players want to play the way you want to play?''

Dean wanted full value for his tip off about the triallist and when it was rightly deflected he still persisted. He should know that the club, the player and several other actors in this process would have been hacked off by the manager being unprofessional about a potential signing.

Dean is a fan, a good commentator and generally interviews respectfully but it was a difficult listen with flashbacks of the Curtis Woodhouse debacle.

I say this as one who is not comfortable with Artell's appointment but was prepared to give him 'the window'. He needs a very good week ahead.

The club 100% spoke to Curtis Woodhouse and he thought he'd been appointed 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
DB
January 28, 2024, 1:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,026
Gold Stars: 388
I thought it was a very good interview by Matt Dean. Questions needed to be asked about a side that shipped 13 goals and only managed 1 point in 3 games.

No excuses from DA, he knew the players he was getting when he signed up.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
JK47
January 28, 2024, 1:47pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from DB
I thought it was a very good interview by Matt Dean. Questions needed to be asked about a side that shipped 13 goals and only managed 1 point in 3 games.

No excuses from DA, he knew the players he was getting when he signed up.

Agreed.  I get the impression that Artell has a set agenda of how he wants players to play.  Unfortunately, that depends on the players you have surely?  You have to play to THEIR strengths.  If over time you can get in players suitable to play in your style, THEN you can impose it, but not with players where Hurst unaccountably let some go who did a good job, and brought in some that were not as good?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
lancspontooner
January 28, 2024, 2:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +213
Quoted from friskneymariner

He was in full Selwyn mode,very rattled underneath and totally out of his depth.

Thank you. Made me smile after that performance. Been thinking who he reminded me of and couldn't place it. Of course it's Selwyn Froggitt - Oh no it's David Artell! Speaks like he is one step removed from the responsibility of setting the team up. Managers don't normally lose both the supporters and the dressing room so quickly. Magic our Morris!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
LocalLadGTFC
January 28, 2024, 2:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
I think Matt is great at what he does, good honest journalism. I think Artells responses were quite telling and I think he's at the end of his tethers with a lot of this squad.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 50
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 28, 2024, 2:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,699
Gold Stars: 72
Ive just listened. Felt matt dean asked all the tough questions, which doesnt always happen when it should, and also felt that fair play to Artell he faced up to it, didnt laugh it off like a bignot, spit his dummy out like a jolley or talk a load of shite like a holloway
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 50
HertsGTFC
January 28, 2024, 2:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
I just wonder if Artell was holding back from going full Troy Deeney.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 50
LocalLadGTFC
January 28, 2024, 2:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from HertsGTFC

that's what I thought about it, especially when it come to the just whacking it comment. He quite clearly is at the end of the line with a lot of them.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 50
Rodley Mariner
January 28, 2024, 2:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I like Matt Dean but what did he expect DA to say 'Yes it was flipping dreadful by Glennon for the first goal and I do regret saying we won't be relegated because it looked decidedly possible today'. Would have been interesting to see the reaction to that on here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 50
forza ivano
January 28, 2024, 2:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
Gold Stars: 265
my impression from listening to it, is that he might be taking a more hurst-like approach from tomorrow, inasmuch that there will be far less discussions and conversations, more like Hurst's 'this is what you do, now go and do what i've told you' approach
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 50
Mappers
January 28, 2024, 3:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I like Matt Dean but what did he expect DA to say 'Yes it was flipping dreadful by Glennon for the first goal and I do regret saying we won't be relegated because it looked decidedly possible today'. Would have been interesting to see the reaction to that on here.

I thought after that roasting from Nemane at Notts early in the piece and being dragged off we wouldn't see Glennon  in a Town shirt again.

He was roasted again yesterday , it's a shame he's a liability as a defender because his attributes going forward are useful
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 50
GrimRob
January 28, 2024, 4:00pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,420
Gold Stars: 113
For all that he was saying he was unhappy with the players I don't remember noticing him communicating with them much during the many breaks in play. I think the Tranmere manager was more active. I may be wrong because I was the other side of the pitch and not always looking at the benches. Be interesting to get main stand views as to any pitch side instructions.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 50
ska face
January 28, 2024, 4:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yeah probably Troy Deeney of 2012 who got jailed for booting someone’s head in. Sure he’d like to do that to some of this squad.

Anyway, Artell would benefit from watching some politicians and other managers if he’s so thin skinned. Just answer the question you wish you’d been asked rather than giving one word answers & being obtuse. I’m not really bothered about his interview style but you can’t act like an ąrsehole and then get the hump when someone tries to get more than one word out of you.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 50
ginnywings
January 28, 2024, 5:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
I like Matt Dean; he usually does good interviews, but I felt he just drifted slightly beyond the impartiality a journalist is supposed to maintain, and slipped a little bit into disgruntled fan mode.

Can't say I blame him after that performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 50
1mickylyons
January 28, 2024, 5:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from ginnywings
I like Matt Dean; he usually does good interviews, but I felt he just drifted slightly beyond the impartiality a journalist is supposed to maintain, and slipped a little bit into disgruntled fan mode.

Can't say I blame him after that performance.

We need a fans forum so the Manager and board can set about him then he will pipe down for a bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
Northbank Mariner
January 28, 2024, 5:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,490
Gold Stars: 171
I was actually cringing at the radio tbh, not the questions he asked
they were fine, more MDs tone, thought he was just overly aggressive and Artell did well not to cut him short in all honesty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
The Dogs Testicles
January 28, 2024, 6:41pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Approval: -122
Matt Dean was bang on with his questioning and had every right to ask what most of us fans were thinking/wanted answers too!

Matt has always been 💯 and not afraid to pose difficult questions, equally, he will be the first to praise when it’s all gone to plan.

D.A. was quite salty tbf and I don’t think Matt was trying to provoke him for one minute!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 28, 2024, 6:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from The Dogs Testicles
Matt Dean was bang on with his questioning and had every right to ask what most of us fans were thinking/wanted answers too!

Matt has always been 💯 and not afraid to pose difficult questions, equally, he will be the first to praise when it’s all gone to plan.

D.A. was quite salty tbf and I don’t think Matt was trying to provoke him for one minute!

But MD should know, or at least expect, that a Manager is not going to be critical of an individual player in public nor is he going to say Christ we face relegation with this group. Ask the questions once, just in case you get a scoup, but once DA has rebuffed it move on.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
Croxton
January 28, 2024, 7:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,017
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

But MD should know, or at least expect, that a Manager is not going to be critical of an individual player in public nor is he going to say Christ we face relegation with this group. Ask the questions once, just in case you get a scoup, but once DA has rebuffed it move on.

Ideally a manager/ football club and the Press should aim for a symbiotic relationship where the beneficial ratio is as near to 50/50 as possible. The reality is that the power / dependency relationship fluctuates and one party feels they are the weaker and try to achieve parity at least. It seemed that either Dean was trying to assert himself a little, Artell picked up on it and stimied by  rambling about ''throwing it down the line'' etc.

Knowledge is power apparently and perhaps RH no longer get a heads up on transfer matters or some such micro aggression. Don't really care, but there was an undercurrent. Bet Crofty knows all about it but 'could not possibly comment.'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
January 28, 2024, 9:41pm
Guest User
Quoted from friskneymariner

Disagree.

Reply: 45 - 50
AncientExiledMariner
January 28, 2024, 9:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Looks here like there is people that expect an interview to be professional, and ask questions, not try to make headlines and there are those that are angry and want to see DA punished because they need someone to blame. This is the not the first manager this year baffled by what some of these players are doing on the pitch. Football intelligence seems to be lacking. You could see clearly DA was upset, and didn't try to defend that display. He clearly gives a excrement.

An interviewer pushing for the word relegation, pushing for trial information that cannot be given without scuppering the deal, weakening the club or putting the club in a bad light, and trying to push for the boss to criticise players, is just poor class. This new BS school of journalism where the interviewers feel they're the stars needs to die.

I think there is valid criticism of MD to be had, but in a respectful manner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
HerveJosse
January 28, 2024, 9:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from The Dogs Testicles

I don’t think MD would have asked the question about Glennon or been so aggresive if he was still interviewing PH. I thought be was bordering on out of order.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
January 28, 2024, 9:48pm
Guest User
Looks here like there is people that expect an interview to be professional, and ask questions, not try to make headlines and there are those that are angry and want to see DA punished because they need someone to blame. This is the not the first manager this year baffled by what some of these players are doing on the pitch. Football intelligence seems to be lacking. You could see clearly DA was upset, and didn't try to defend that display. He clearly gives a excrement.

An interviewer pushing for the word relegation, pushing for trial information that cannot be given without scuppering the deal, weakening the club or putting the club in a bad light, and trying to push for the boss to criticise players, is just poor class. This new BS school of journalism where the interviewers feel they're the stars needs to die

I think there is valid criticism of MD to be had, but in a respectful manner.

I agree, and think Dean was out of order.

Reply: 48 - 50
diehardmariner
January 29, 2024, 9:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Shock horror - Football manager is a bit short when getting questions thrust in front of him minutes after his weeks work has gone down the pisser. We're all drunk off after a performance like that, you only have to look at here or social media to see how people instantly react.  Imagine that when it's your job and then you get a microphone shoved under your chin straight away.

He's upset, he's emotional and he's probably trying to stop himself from screaming that if he had his way he would sack all the useless fornicators.

Matt Dean's doing his job but it was, slightly, unexpected owing to his and Humberside's usual quite chummy style of questions.   Didn't think it was fair or expected for Artell to dig Glennon out and I actually think he responded well to that.  Dean couldn't have grumbled if he found himself ignored with the trialists questions, there has to be an element of accepting when the interviewee doesn't want to proceed down that path.  There's clearly reasons for it.

As with a lot of media that comes out or through the club, there's a massive overreaction and over analysing of it.  I don't particularly care too much about what Artell says before or after games and I imagine it holds little relevance to what is said behind closed doors.  It's more about what happens on the pitch, of which Saturday was utter shite.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
RonMariner
January 29, 2024, 6:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,727
Gold Stars: 226
Having watched the interview I though Artell handled it well. He is clearly very angry about the performance but maintained a calm and professional demeanor.

He mentioned that there are several irons in the fire regarding incoming players. Let's hope he gets several of them over the line this week.    
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 50
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Matt Dean

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.