6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
January 28, 2024, 9:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,252
Gold Stars: 226
The asking of naming trialists or even transfer targets is poor journalism to me but they all do it.....its pointless as I have rarely/ever heard a manager of any club reveal anything of substance to that question.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
MuddyWaters
January 28, 2024, 9:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Matt was right on the money in the interview.

If you want a positive, he accepted that we were rubbish. Amongst the negatives, it was with a squad that we're mostly stuck with.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
sam gy
January 28, 2024, 10:15am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Matt asked the questions and Artell answered them. Don’t really see the problem though I think it’s perhaps unfair to ask him to dig out players or name transfer targets (though they all ask this.)

Don’t think he was being prickly with MD at the beginning with one word answers, just think he was visibly drunk off at the performance and was showing that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
friskneymariner
January 28, 2024, 10:42am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from 123614
It was a good interview by DA, he answered all the questions and, quite rightly refused to criticise individuals, which was what MD, quite wrongly was asking him to do.  Of course it was a difficult interview for him, and I believe these interviews take place pretty soon after the match has ended.  You could clearly see that DA was visibly annoyed and frustrated that the team failed to adhere to his instructions for the game, so I am of the opinion that in those circumstances he handled the interview quite well.

He was in full Selwyn mode,very rattled underneath and totally out of his depth.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
Croxton
January 28, 2024, 11:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Good in parts but not Dean's best work.

Dean asked some of the questions fans wanted to hear but allowed Artell to make repeated assertions about what players did wrong without challenge. e.g ''wacking it all the time''. This was one feature for sure, but there was also some inept parody of passing it round the back whilst midfielders failed to show for the ball. Dean let that go.

On throw ins, Artell said he didn't want players to ''keep throwing it down the line''. Actually, You could see that we tried to avoid that option even when a player moved into space. Tranmere, and every other team we play, show us how to move defenders around to create space. The real issue Dean failed to identify was how static players like Harry and Eisa were sometimes.

Instead , Dean talked about alarm bells in a roundabout way trying to trick Artell into mentioning 'relegation'. Not clever. When he wasn't being disingenuous he was unnecessarily direct. ''Why don't the players want to play the way you want to play?''

Dean wanted full value for his tip off about the triallist and when it was rightly deflected he still persisted. He should know that the club, the player and several other actors in this process would have been hacked off by the manager being unprofessional about a potential signing.

Dean is a fan, a good commentator and generally interviews respectfully but it was a difficult listen with flashbacks of the Curtis Woodhouse debacle.

I say this as one who is not comfortable with Artell's appointment but was prepared to give him 'the window'. He needs a very good week ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
headingly_mariner
January 28, 2024, 1:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Really good questions to a really shite interviewee.

He just talks balderdash, laid all the blame with the players and was rightly asked what part he had in that and what he was going to do about it.

He's a bit prickly and seems to have a touch of the intellectual snobbery. Alright being an arrogant girl private if you're Jose Mourinho, not if you've just been rolled over by Tranmere. Easy to blame the players, but he got it wrong yesterday and didn't change it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
headingly_mariner
January 28, 2024, 1:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Croxton
Good in parts but not Dean's best work.

Dean asked some of the questions fans wanted to hear but allowed Artell make repeated assertions about what players did wrong without challenge. e.g ''wacking it all the time''. This was one feature for sure, but there was also some inept parody of passing it round the back whilst midfielders failed to show for the ball. Dean let that go.

On throw ins, Artell said he didn't want players to ''keep throwing it down the line''. Actually, You could see that we tried to avoid that option even when a player moved into space. Tranmere, and every other team we play, show us how to move defenders around to create space. The real issue Dean failed to identify was how static players like Harry and Eisa were sometimes.

Instead , Dean talked about alarm bells in a roundabout way trying to trick Artell into mentioning 'relegation'. Not clever. When he wasn't being disingenuous he was unnecessarily direct. ''Why don't the players want to play the way you want to play?''

Dean wanted full value for his tip off about the triallist and when it was rightly deflected he still persisted. He should know that the club, the player and several other actors in this process would have been hacked off by the manager being unprofessional about a potential signing.

Dean is a fan, a good commentator and generally interviews respectfully but it was a difficult listen with flashbacks of the Curtis Woodhouse debacle.

I say this as one who is not comfortable with Artell's appointment but was prepared to give him 'the window'. He needs a very good week ahead.

The club 100% spoke to Curtis Woodhouse and he thought he'd been appointed 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
DB
January 28, 2024, 1:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,003
Gold Stars: 386
I thought it was a very good interview by Matt Dean. Questions needed to be asked about a side that shipped 13 goals and only managed 1 point in 3 games.

No excuses from DA, he knew the players he was getting when he signed up.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
JK47
January 28, 2024, 1:47pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from DB
I thought it was a very good interview by Matt Dean. Questions needed to be asked about a side that shipped 13 goals and only managed 1 point in 3 games.

No excuses from DA, he knew the players he was getting when he signed up.

Agreed.  I get the impression that Artell has a set agenda of how he wants players to play.  Unfortunately, that depends on the players you have surely?  You have to play to THEIR strengths.  If over time you can get in players suitable to play in your style, THEN you can impose it, but not with players where Hurst unaccountably let some go who did a good job, and brought in some that were not as good?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
lancspontooner
January 28, 2024, 2:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +213
Quoted from friskneymariner

He was in full Selwyn mode,very rattled underneath and totally out of his depth.

Thank you. Made me smile after that performance. Been thinking who he reminded me of and couldn't place it. Of course it's Selwyn Froggitt - Oh no it's David Artell! Speaks like he is one step removed from the responsibility of setting the team up. Managers don't normally lose both the supporters and the dressing room so quickly. Magic our Morris!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Matt Dean

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.