Mappers
January 27, 2024, 5:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,329
Gold Stars: 118
A write off at best

The lot around me are not renewing , today has made their mind up . I  fear many more will be similiar now .

I like Jason and Andrew and 100% don't doubt their care and love for the club but fear their long term aims have forgotten the short term gains .

The home form has got worse from last season , They are going to have to dip into their well otherwise I think we go down again ; I would still go because it's a laugh + i love it but I'm sure  some have had enough .

Over to Artell , Stockwood and Pettit to secure our league status
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mikey_345
January 27, 2024, 5:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from Mappers

The lot around me are not renewing , today has made their mind up . I  fear many more will be similiar now .

People are angry, understandably, but it’s usually a different story when July comes around in this regard though.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 70
LocalLadGTFC
January 27, 2024, 5:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,222
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Mappers
A write off at best

I like Jason and Andrew and 100% don't doubt their care and love for the club but fear their long term gains have forgotten the short term gains .

The home form has got worse from last season , They are going to have to dip into their well otherwise I think we go down again ; I would still go because it's a laugh + i love it but I'm sure  some have had enough .

I understand the reasoning, but unfortunately you can't choose where you are from and I will forever be backing Town. I was born in 96, been a fan since 03/04 and seen about 17 of the 20 seasons be a total write off. Grimsby Till I Die.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 70
Mappers
January 27, 2024, 5:24pm
Champagne Drinker
I know , but no disrespect to them but the Stockports ,Wrexhams, Mansfields and Bristol Rovers even would not be clearing 7k (seats) tickets sold for home games if they were doing how we are .

It's frustrating with so much goodwill for the board and team that we can't capitalise on that.

Just seems like we might sink back into a state of apathy again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 70
1mickylyons
January 27, 2024, 6:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
As it stands I'm on the fence regarding renewing JS boils my urine with his soundbites and DA needs to get this team playing .I know one thing Rodgers would be the first player I'd drop closely followed by Eisa.This Town team are awful and seemingly getting worse.Boooooooooo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 70
Ashby mariner
January 27, 2024, 6:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
I'm glad I sold myn and my sons season tickets for £150 after the Harrogate game. Even though I missed the 5.5 game. Just so many dissapointing trips to Blundell Park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 70
IlkleyMariner
January 27, 2024, 7:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Mappers
A write off at best

I like Jason and Andrew and 100% don't doubt their care and love for the club but fear their long term aims have forgotten the short term gains .

I can see why people feel like this. As an excile I don’t see many home games, but go away when I can.
I like the philosophy of the owners and DA, but at the end of the day it’s about results. And that’s not happening. Personally if I was JS, I’d not mention B corp before October 2024 earliest. Hopefully sitting pretty with a top 7 place in league 2.

Meantime I’ll be at Accrington next Saturday. At least they own a pub I can use if second half is crap….

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 70
Mappers
January 27, 2024, 7:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

I can see why people feel like this. As an excile I don’t see many home games, but go away when I can.
I like the philosophy of the owners and DA, but at the end of the day it’s about results. And that’s not happening. Personally if I was JS, I’d not mention B corp before October 2024 earliest. Hopefully sitting pretty with a top 7 place in league 2.

Meantime I’ll be at Accrington next Saturday. At least they own a pub I can use if second half is crap….

I'm the same i get a ST but only make about half the games and do as many away as I can . The one's who go to every 1 at home are the one's who probably have the worst of it tbh.  

I agree about Stockwood to , I actually really like the guy he's town through snd through but talking to Town fans sometimes causes more problems than they are  worth the 'undisclosed ' transfer fee thing is a prime example .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 70
HertsGTFC
January 27, 2024, 7:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
I’m an exile STH & travel a 6 hour 300 mile round trip for home games & I'm not the only one.

I’ll renew even if we get relegated as I support Town & like the lads I sit with.

At the moment though it doesn’t feel very equitable.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 70
ginnywings
January 27, 2024, 7:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
I'll renew if we are a league club, but I'm not doing another non league season if we go down.

Probably the odd game here and there, but won't commit to a season ticket, and watching Town won't take priority if I have something else I would rather be doing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 70
oochiad
January 27, 2024, 7:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Mines a 180 mile round trip, I’m certainly feeling stressed by what’s happening but guess I’ll sign up again next season. Come on town sort it out and give us supporters some happiness please!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 70
Plankton
January 27, 2024, 7:56pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
If we go down that will be oblivion for the club. We must take the possibility of relegation seriously, as we know exactly what a relegation team looks like and this is one of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 70
HertsGTFC
January 27, 2024, 8:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Plankton
If we go down that will be oblivion for the club. We must take the possibility of relegation seriously, as we know exactly what a relegation team looks like and this is one of them.

It won’t be oblivion for the club.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 70
LH
January 27, 2024, 8:24pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,528
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from 1mickylyons
As it stands I'm on the fence regarding renewing JS boils my urine with his soundbites and DA needs to get this team playing .I know one thing Rodgers would be the first player I'd drop closely followed by Eisa.This Town team are awful and seemingly getting worse.Boooooooooo

Very much on the fence too but it’s in the club’s hands. It’s a really poor squad and the manager change card hasn’t worked as desired. I absolutely will not bother renewing if we go down. The first time I was young and stupid, second I was willing to give the new owners a chance but three and that’d be my tether reached.

DA seems to speak very on brand for JS to me and is now unlistenable for my tastes.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 70
1mickylyons
January 27, 2024, 8:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

It won’t be oblivion for the club.

No it won't be oblivion but it will be a 50% reduction in ST sales and therefore budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 70
Mappers
January 27, 2024, 9:41pm
Champagne Drinker
The thing is the support base is there for at least one league up - really good no one can doubt that , but we languish between league 2 strugglers and NL - i don't get it , the mighty Barrow, Harrogate, Burton and Cheltenham are all winning regularly , yet we are fodder for the drop again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 70
January 27, 2024, 10:07pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
I'll renew if we are a league club, but I'm not doing another non league season if we go down.

Probably the odd game here and there, but won't commit to a season ticket, and watching Town won't take priority if I have something else I would rather be doing.

This sums me up too.
Reply: 16 - 70
HertsGTFC
January 27, 2024, 10:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers
The thing is the support base is there for at least one league up - really good no one can doubt that , but we languish between league 2 strugglers and NL - i don't get it , the mighty Barrow, Harrogate, Burton and Cheltenham are all winning regularly , yet we are fodder for the drop again.

Great invsested support, good honest owners, massively improved infrastructure, expertise improved across the whole club, strategy & plan in place we’re well set up now. Apart from the ingredient that gets you 3 points - players!

Some aren’t good enough, too many leave their brains & bollox in the dressing room at 3pm every Saturday.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 70
DB
January 28, 2024, 1:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
We started talking in August about finishing higher up the table, a promotion place some hoped for or playoffs at least. Heady days.

The reality is that we are in a relegation battle, like it or not. Survival is a must and it is worrying that DA keeps telling us we won't be relegated. His current team selections and game plan have shown otherwise.

So we keep the Faith, Hope the team will perform and Charity from other clubs beating clubs below us. It's going to be a very rocky ride.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 70
Limerick Mariner
January 28, 2024, 1:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,701
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Great invsested support, good honest owners, massively improved infrastructure, expertise improved across the whole club, strategy & plan in place we’re well set up now. Apart from the ingredient that gets you 3 points - players!

Some aren’t good enough, too many leave their brains & bollox in the dressing room at 3pm every Saturday.

Your last para is it. No grit and resilience that we showed at times last season from some of the same players in the squad, leadership lacking and absolutely brainless defending. It seems with PH we chucked the baby out with the bath water with the changes in the summer - we lost us shape, and with DA we don’t have any sort of identity - something he raised himself early doors but has not resolved at all.

At least last season we were a pain in the behind to play against with us shape - especially away from home. This season getting round the back of our defence is like taking candy from the baby…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 70
Northbank Mariner
January 28, 2024, 2:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Do you know something, you lot who are not renewing, selling or sat on the fence re season tickets boil my urine tbh.
I am a Grimsby Town fan, a supporter with black n white in my veins, and I couldn't give 2 felicitations if were playing on Sunday at ploggers, this is our club, our team, our town, either you support it you don't.
We all called Lincoln supporters and the like "plastics" for rocking up when the going got good, but as soon as the excrement hits the fan our own duck for cover and throw their toys out the bath tub!!..
I'm sorry but I find it hard reading some of this, yes I get drunk off, skate intercourse out the players, the manager, coaching staff and sometimes the owners but I know this, I'll be there next week, the one after and until I'm incapable of going, I'll buy my tickets, take my seat and support my club, my team, my town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 70
GrimRob
January 28, 2024, 2:41pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,412
Gold Stars: 113
If we're in the EFL next season many games will not be at 3pm on a Saturday. This is like a recipe to lose STH with matches being spread around the weekend and half the games (I think) televised. I can see a lot of people switching from most or all games to fewer games. The National League will be the last bastion of traditional KO times. Away fans at BP will be few and far between.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 70
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 28, 2024, 2:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,699
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Do you know something, you lot who are not renewing, selling or sat on the fence re season tickets boil my urine tbh.
I am a Grimsby Town fan, a supporter with black n white in my veins, and I couldn't give 2 felicitations if were playing on Sunday at ploggers, this is our club, our team, our town, either you support it you don't.
We all called Lincoln supporters and the like "plastics" for rocking up when the going got good, but as soon as the excrement hits the fan our own duck for cover and throw their toys out the bath tub!!..
I'm sorry but I find it hard reading some of this, yes I get drunk off, skate intercourse out the players, the manager, coaching staff and sometimes the owners but I know this, I'll be there next week, the one after and until I'm incapable of going, I'll buy my tickets, take my seat and support my club, my team, my town.

End the thread and frame this post
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 70
DB
January 28, 2024, 3:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
If we're in the EFL next season many games will not be at 3pm on a Saturday. This is like a recipe to lose STH with matches being spread around the weekend and half the games (I think) televised. I can see a lot of people switching from most or all games to fewer games. The National League will be the last bastion of traditional KO times. Away fans at BP will be few and far between.

If this is the case it looks like match day income and STs will drop, which will cause a headache for JS & AP.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 70
HertsGTFC
January 28, 2024, 3:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

So recent form suggests we’ll be ok for 3pm starts at BP next season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 70
GrimRob
January 28, 2024, 3:54pm

Quoted from DB

If this is the case it looks like match day income and STs will drop, which will cause a headache for JS & AP.

Yes but they get more tv money which is why they voted for it. Personally I think it is robbing Peter to pay Paul. People who attend games are sacrificed to the god of television as has happened higher up the leagues.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 25 - 70
Zmariner
January 28, 2024, 3:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from ginnywings

Eaxctly the same for me. 100% renewal in the EFL but another season in the NL ......it is groundhog day and better things to waste my time doing. Sadly not just my sentiment , a certainty that the 2 next to me will do this as well.
The stakes are very high for the owners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 70
HertsGTFC
January 28, 2024, 4:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Your last para is it. No grit and resilience that we showed at times last season from some of the same players in the squad, leadership lacking and absolutely brainless defending. It seems with PH we chucked the baby out with the bath water with the changes in the summer - we lost us shape, and with DA we don’t have any sort of identity - something he raised himself early doors but has not resolved at all.

At least last season we were a pain in the behind to play against with us shape - especially away from home. This season getting round the back of our defence is like taking candy from the baby…

People keep eluding to the owners wanting a certain style of football, I hope this is just white noise as I’d be really surprised if they’ve defined the way they’d like us to play this season, I’d also be really p1ssed off too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 70
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 28, 2024, 4:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,842
Gold Stars: 178
Just stuck in the tele and Newport are playing Man Utd. Full house, meaning millions (total guess) that it’s brought into the local economy. Knock on effects of shirt sales, part time fans going to other games and a vested interest in the community and club as a whole, albeit for one day anyway. The clubs revenue will have taken a huge lift too.

I look at what we achieved last season, and wonder, we’re we unlucky in what we actually got in means of the cup draws or, did we gain more from not having these ‘glamour’ times and a quick buck.

What I know is, that the money wasn’t invested in the playing squad as well as we had hoped. And that any knock on effect in the season ticket sales is highly unlikely to go for another season. I think that the club have their work cut out to get maybe 4000 sth next year and there will be many more sitting on the fence unless there is some sort of dramatic turn around.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 70
GrimRob
January 28, 2024, 6:21pm

Quoted from HertsGTFC

People keep eluding to the owners wanting a certain style of football, I hope this is just white noise as I’d be really surprised if they’ve defined the way they’d like us to play this season, I’d also be really p1ssed off too.

“Dave was always our first choice and was in the frame, but I’d never met him at that point but when we finally did meet, it was more impressive than we saw on paper. Possession-based football with a focus on youth is what we want and we look at David’s track record, with the ability to improve teams as a coach.”

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....t-impressive-8935835

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 29 - 70
HerveJosse
January 28, 2024, 6:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from HertsGTFC

That’s because that’s what Stockwood said and why they picked Artell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 70
easypeersy
January 28, 2024, 7:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
It’s soul destroying.
Why did Jason Stockwood and Andrew Pettit buy our club if they have no desire to get us entertaining football with decent players and an ambition to progress at least to League 1.
They have a billion pounds between them probably.
They say they love the club but it doesn’t much look like it to me.
I know they don’t HAVE to spend spend spend, it’s up to them, it’s their money at the end of the day but I just don’t see the point in them having taken over if they are just not interested.
Selling Kamil Conteh shows what little ambition we have. It’s Fentyism again!
We are firmly in the doldrums forever.
I hope I’m wrong.
I keep going whatever division we are in but it’s just SOUL DESTROYING!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 70
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 28, 2024, 7:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from easypeersy
It’s soul destroying.
Why did Jason Stockwood and Andrew Pettit buy our club if they have no desire to get us entertaining football with decent players and an ambition to progress at least to League 1.
I know they don’t HAVE to spend spend spend, it’s up to them, it’s their money at the end of the day but I just don’t see the point in them having taken over if they are just not interested.
I hope I’m wrong.

Is this a real post or is it sarcasm?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 70
TAGG
January 28, 2024, 7:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,959
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Mappers
A write off at best

I will renew again if we are a league club
If we get relegated, not a chance.
Done my stints in Non League but never again.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 70
Heisenberg
January 28, 2024, 7:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from ginnywings

That’s exactly how I feel.

I actually missed the whole of our first ever non-league season and did not regret it at all. I got dragged in right after, but that 5 year stretch (6 for most) were beneath us as a fan base. It really is embarrassing being down there.

I cannot and will not do non league again. What it did to my life was 100% negative during that time. I’m lucky that I don’t suffer any mental health issues, but if I did those 7 years in total would have tipped me over the edge.

We must stay up at all costs. Right now, being a glass half empty man, I suspect we’re doomed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 70
MuddyWaters
January 28, 2024, 7:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Heisenberg

That’s exactly how I feel.

I actually missed the whole of our first ever non-league season and did not regret it at all. I got dragged in right after, but that 5 year stretch (6 for most) were beneath us as a fan base. It really is embarrassing being down there.

I cannot and will not do non league again. What it did to my life was 100% negative during that time. I’m lucky that I don’t suffer any mental health issues, but if I did those 7 years in total would have tipped me over the edge.

We must stay up at all costs. Right now, being a glass half empty man, I suspect we’re doomed.

Me too.

I’m trying to be positive but we’re losing a Chief Exec, have a chairman who doesn’t want to be chairman but wants us to play differently, have players who can’t or won’t play differently, a stadium that isn’t fit for purpose and a training ground apparently to match. And it seems our manager can’t remember how long he’s been here.

Add to that, we’re in a very similar position to that where the owners came in. It’s not great.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 70
Hagrid
January 28, 2024, 7:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
I said the same to my dad last night

I cant justify 400+ quid on non league football. Im 28, Im on my way to getting a mortgage on my own, bills etc just like us all, I cant afford to spend that sort of money watching us play the likes of Ebbsfleet again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 70
Limerick Mariner
January 28, 2024, 8:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from easypeersy
It’s soul destroying.
I hope I’m wrong.

If only we had kept Bryn Morris we wouldn’t need Conteh…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 70
denni266
January 28, 2024, 8:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from easypeersy
It’s soul destroying.
I hope I’m wrong.

This totaly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 70
grimsby pete
January 28, 2024, 9:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

If only we had kept Bryn Morris we wouldn’t need Conteh…

Was thinking the same myself cracking goal today.

Where was.Bogle. Injured or already signed for us ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 70
HerveJosse
January 28, 2024, 9:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from grimsby pete

Was thinking the same myself cracking goal today.

Where was.Bogle. Injured or already signed for us ?

Injured out for 8 weeks so not going anywhere
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 70
mike_d
January 28, 2024, 11:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from HertsGTFC

So recent form suggests we’ll be ok for 3pm starts at BP next season.

Even the last 6 games where we've been pretty poor, we've got better form than two teams below us, and one near us above.

That's on the fishy form table, last 6 games. Extrapolating that over the next 18 games would mean one team below us would overtake us. I think. Golly level stats may be needed. We'd also be three points behind Bradford for example with our game still in hand if we continued our form and they continued theirs...

Is it beyond the realms of impossibility that our team will improve, as we're assuming all the other teams will?

I know, clutching at straws.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 70
RonMariner
January 28, 2024, 11:56pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,719
Gold Stars: 226
We are about to face two teams far better than Tranmere so it’s going to be tough to get even one point out of them. We could easily find ourselves third bottom with our cushion eroded further.

This is definitely a very serious situation. We need at least a couple more new faces this coming week because I just don’t think we have the quality to guarantee our survival. It’s possible that the current bottom two might continue their poor form but we can’t be sure of that. We need to save ourselves by winning a few games.

We have seen some good football in patches since Artell arrived, so it’s not impossible, but we have been shockingly inconsistent and I think it may be down to not having a couple of strong leaders on the pitch to rally the troops when required.So I would say we need to bring in some experience rather than some youngsters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 70
1mickylyons
January 29, 2024, 7:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
We are about to face two teams far better than Tranmere so it’s going to be tough to get even one point out of them. We could easily find ourselves third bottom with our cushion eroded further.

This is definitely a very serious situation. We need at least a couple more new faces this coming week because I just don’t think we have the quality to guarantee our survival. It’s possible that the current bottom two might continue their poor form but we can’t be sure of that. We need to save ourselves by winning a few games.

We have seen some good football in patches since Artell arrived, so it’s not impossible, but we have been shockingly inconsistent and I think it may be down to not having a couple of strong leaders on the pitch to rally the troops when required.So I would say we need to bring in some experience rather than some youngsters.

DA doesn't seem keen on experience though we can read into that in two ways .Maybe he thinks you can't teach an old dog new tricks or maybe he's frightened they'll expose his frailties? Hopefully he pulls in a couple of solid defenders and cuts out the pathetic goals against that have plagued us since the Season started.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 70
diehardmariner
January 29, 2024, 9:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Hagrid
I said the same to my dad last night

I cant justify 400+ quid on non league football. Im 28, Im on my way to getting a mortgage on my own, bills etc just like us all, I cant afford to spend that sort of money watching us play the likes of Ebbsfleet again

It's an expense if it's non-league football or if it's league football.  You can either justify it or you can't.  

I wouldn't and won't call anyone out for deciding they can't or don't want to go, for whatever those reasons are.

But I can guarantee that the vast majority of people saying they won't renew on this thread, will have a different opinion when we put in another exciting performance next week or it's a really close entertaining game against Stockport in a fortnight.  Write this season off, accept it as it'll be very much a transition phase and it'll feel a lot, lot easier.

Saturday was awful, both in terms of the performance and as a spectacle.  That it was so drab was a surprise, that we stank the place out wasn't.  Artell is trying to bring about wholesale change with a lot of players who won't be here for that journey.  There's others threads to argue how sensible that is and I completely understand why people are crying out for just concentrating on this season (even if I disagree with it).  But you're going to be disappointed if you expect good performances every week for the next four months.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 70
ginnywings
January 29, 2024, 10:43am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from diehardmariner

It's an expense if it's non-league football or if it's league football.  You can either justify it or you can't.  

I wouldn't and won't call anyone out for deciding they can't or don't want to go, for whatever those reasons are.

But I can guarantee that the vast majority of people saying they won't renew on this thread, will have a different opinion when we put in another exciting performance next week or it's a really close entertaining game against Stockport in a fortnight.  Write this season off, accept it as it'll be very much a transition phase and it'll feel a lot, lot easier.

Saturday was awful, both in terms of the performance and as a spectacle.  That it was so drab was a surprise, that we stank the place out wasn't.  Artell is trying to bring about wholesale change with a lot of players who won't be here for that journey.  There's others threads to argue how sensible that is and I completely understand why people are crying out for just concentrating on this season (even if I disagree with it).  But you're going to be disappointed if you expect good performances every week for the next four months.

It's not about performances for me and some others who have posted in this thread. I have said I will renew if we are a league club, but not if we are non league.

There are other things I enjoy doing that football takes priority over currently, but that would switch if we went back down, and I'd probably only go to games if I was free on a Saturday or Tuesday night.

If I had a decision to make whether to go away for the weekend or stay home to watch Town play Kings Lynn, the match would get binned off, whereas if we were playing Notts County for instance, the football would win.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 70
diehardmariner
January 29, 2024, 12:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Don't get me wrong ginny, I probably would be saying "I'm done" if we went down again.  

But I don't think we'll be in that situation.  

Was a thread before Xmas about enthusiasm for the football at the club and I was open enough to say I've struggled with it at quite a few points in the last decade or so, it's become less and less important to me and far more about the social aspect than the spectacle itself.

But that's come when we've sat in the league playing much bigger sides than Kings Lynn and the higher points of interest have come at times when we've been playing proper non-league minnows.  That's the nature of football and sure as hell it's the nature of GTFC, you get sucked back in before you can pluck up enough courage to fully leave.   Some will call it battered wide syndrome, some will call it an addiction.  Whatever it is, I honestly can't see a large percentage of fans not going because we're in non-league (myself included despite insisting I would stay away).

But I really do understand why people feel this way after Saturday.  I'm not going to clog up this thread with ripping apart the performances, but that's exactly the type of shower that will make anyone think they never want to watch a game of football at Blundell Park again.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 70
Yoda
January 29, 2024, 3:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,157
Gold Stars: 71
This season has been a disaster and looking at another rebuild again.
Just wait for the rallying call to pack the park to keep us up again how many times have we heard this.
I sick of hearing it season after season how about the players and management put on something worth watching.
Personally i think DA will be gone in 3 games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 70
RonMariner
January 29, 2024, 5:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,719
Gold Stars: 226
It's beginning to look very much like 2021 isn't it? At that time we were a few points above the drop zone when we changed manager, the squad seriously lacked quality, we were riddled with individual defensive errors and our trajectory was clearly downward during January.  

Then we brought in a few players in the window, but by the time we turned it around to any degree it was too late to keep us up.

We really need to bring in some serious upgrades, particularly at the back if we are to avoid a similar fate. We need players who can hit the ground running. It would be such a tragic waste if the impact of the magical 2022 play off campaign was to be wiped out by another relegation.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 70
The Caterham Mariner
January 29, 2024, 7:24pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from TAGG

I will renew again if we are a league club
If we get relegated, not a chance.
Done my stints in Non League but never again.

Your last sentence says it all, But i too will wait and see, make a decision closer to the time the thought of Woking ,Bromley and Ebbsfleet  Hhmmm No thanks.
But the wife will also  have some input "get out the house, buy a bloody fishing rod etc" comes to mind
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 70
thornemariner
January 29, 2024, 8:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from diehardmariner
Don't get me wrong ginny, I probably would be saying "I'm done" if we went down again.  

But I don't think we'll be in that situation.  

Was a thread before Xmas about enthusiasm for the football at the club and I was open enough to say I've struggled with it at quite a few points in the last decade or so, it's become less and less important to me and far more about the social aspect than the spectacle itself.

But that's come when we've sat in the league playing much bigger sides than Kings Lynn and the higher points of interest have come at times when we've been playing proper non-league minnows.  That's the nature of football and sure as hell it's the nature of GTFC, you get sucked back in before you can pluck up enough courage to fully leave.   Some will call it battered wide syndrome, some will call it an addiction.  Whatever it is, I honestly can't see a large percentage of fans not going because we're in non-league (myself included despite insisting I would stay away).

But I really do understand why people feel this way after Saturday.  I'm not going to clog up this thread with ripping apart the performances, but that's exactly the type of shower that will make anyone think they never want to watch a game of football at Blundell Park again.

My pals and I have been watching Town since the 70s and 80s and Saturdays have been more about the socialising for the last fifteen years to be honest. I'd miss the pre-match three-course cafe dinner and the post mortem of the game as we all gather outside the club shop. We're also of an age where we don't know how much longer we'll be around to enjoy the company of each other!

It's hard work watching lesser-resourced clubs consistently do better than us on the field though.

I missed Saturday as I have a casual job that I really enjoy which can mean weekend working. I'm not obliged to work these days but the offer came up in October and given what I was watching at the time I went for the money. UTM

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 70
Norseman
January 29, 2024, 10:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
I will go as I have done for 60 years whatever league we are in .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 70
grimps
January 30, 2024, 8:12am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
I had high hopes for this season only for them to be shattered again.
The hoping there are two teams worse than us each season just reminds me of the Fenty days.

As fans we have done our part, and we still get shat on  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 70
Mappers
January 30, 2024, 8:38am
Champagne Drinker
There could be some new one's-  a local village team called Aveley are doing well in the NL south and could make the play-offs .  Then you have Curzon Ashton in the NL North , don't think they have made it into NL before ?

Local derbies against our neighbours, Boston , Scarborough , York and Halifax would be a real possibility .

Hartlepool travel well ,thought their support was the best at BP last season.

Dorking would be interesting with the bloke that does the lot in charge .  

I actually preffered awaydays in the NL you can have a beer at the side sometimes .

I don't want us to go down and we need to concentrate on staying up , it's vital in terms of not putting 1 foot forward and taking 2 steps back again .

But if the worst happened I would be there , probably spending even lengthier time in the bar ,apart from when you can have the pints at the side of the pitch .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 70
MuddyWaters
January 30, 2024, 8:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimps
I had high hopes for this season only for them to be shattered again.
The hoping there are two teams worse than us each season just reminds me of the Fenty days.

As fans we have done our part, and we still get shat on  

As many have said before, it’s the hope that kills you. The talk was of incremental improvement yet , once again, we’re fingers crossed looking down.

We can play more attractive football when we’ve got the players to play it. While we haven’t, please ensure we don’t have to go through another relegation. The implications are too scary to consider.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 70
Zmariner
January 30, 2024, 8:57am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
My problem is not the teams in the national league but a realisation that we cannot sustain a football league team. Therefore we can strive for promotion to the promised land, but it is futile as we are unable to live there once we arrive.
It is knowing this that is the problem for me utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
January 30, 2024, 9:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Zmariner
My problem is not the teams in the national league but a realisation that we cannot sustain a football league team. Therefore we can strive for promotion to the promised land, but it is futile as we are unable to live there once we arrive.
It is knowing this that is the problem for me utm

We can in monetary terms. We just continue to make the wrong choices somehow,  even if most of us agree with them at the time.

In some ways the owners have tried to do too much too soon, and I still don't think they have fully grasped that football is not like any other business. It is what happens on the field that matters the most, and I think they must accept it will be an expensive business till their longer term plans start to kick in.

I remember being disappointed with the McAtee deal but they wanted to create "good relations " with Luton,  but Luton aren't going to be bothered about a struggling league 2 club are they? It just looks like a bit of naivety on our part.

I'm sure it will all come right in the end. We have great support considering we are still down with the dead men, and we have great potential which the owners can clearly see.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 70
Northbank Mariner
January 30, 2024, 9:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171

We can in monetary terms. We just continue to make the wrong choices somehow,  even if most of us agree with them at the time.

In some ways the owners have tried to do too much too soon, and I still don't think they have fully grasped that football is not like any other business. It is what happens on the field that matters the most, and I think they must accept it will be an expensive business till their longer term plans start to kick in.

I remember being disappointed with the McAtee deal but they wanted to create "good relations " with Luton,  but Luton aren't going to be bothered about a struggling league 2 club are they? It just looks like a bit of naivety on our part.

I'm sure it will all come right in the end. We have great support considering we are still down with the dead men, and we have great potential which the owners can clearly see.

But do we?...playing devils advocate here, ask yourself why do many Grimberians have left the town and area?...
The answer isn't chasing money, its to do with looking for a better lifestyle, to attract players we need something most clubs don't have, so apart from a mucky river,  a fishy stench, and a beach, what else can we do?..
Unless you were born local, have family ties to the town we will struggle, I'm sorry but its no coincidence that since the decline of the nightlife in Cleethorpes and Grimsby that we haven't attracted a better standard of player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 70
Mappers
January 30, 2024, 10:17am
Champagne Drinker

But do we?...playing devils advocate here, ask yourself why do many Grimberians have left the town and area?...
The answer isn't chasing money, its to do with looking for a better lifestyle, to attract players we need something most clubs don't have, so apart from a mucky river,  a fishy stench, and a beach, what else can we do?..
Unless you were born local, have family ties to the town we will struggle, I'm sorry but its no coincidence that since the decline of the nightlife in Cleethorpes and Grimsby that we haven't attracted a better standard of player.

It's not like you have to live in the Town though is it , I left many moons ago but still go back and love the place .

Leeds,Manchester , York even are in commutable distance they could spend a very small proportion of their time actually in the Town, the training ground is in a rural location aswell not even in it . Travel is so easy now , I'm sure many on here do a lengthy commute to work .

I get many players won't have that love ,but money + a chance to go on an upward trajectory would tempt them .

It's more the monetary factor IMO  we can't/won't pay enough to flip the switch into tempting higher quality players here in the main .

I just feel like the 'it's a sh*thole' excuse is a poor one, just my opinion .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 70
Limerick Mariner
January 30, 2024, 10:22am
Whiskey Drinker

I was thinking Carlisle is our benchmark - similar level of support, and a long way from big city night life, but they are getting slaughtered in League 1 this season, and even Carlisle is possibly a more attractive place to live.

One thing is certain, we need a best in class youth set up, and that’s why the training ground has to be a priority - after staying up of course.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
January 30, 2024, 10:22am
Vodka Drinker

Yes I do think we have lots of potential as do the owners.

Regardless what people might think of the area circa 200k people live in North East Lincolnshire which is more than enough to sustain a club higher in the pyramid than we are currently.

Without wanting to re open the debate about how good or bad the area is there are loads of places where away fans can sing the immortal "s**thole song" with some justification so it is not a beauty contest in that sense.

We have potential in my humble opinion but whether some of us will ever see it realised is another story!
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 70
GibMariner
January 30, 2024, 10:45am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21

Can’t imagine either that we or any club would sign a player / Conteh on a three year deal with in effect a buy out.

A payout that could well come back to haunt given our current position.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 70
DB
January 30, 2024, 11:29am
Barley Wine Drinker

Regardless what people might think of the area circa 200k people live in North East Lincolnshire which is more than enough to sustain a club higher in the pyramid than we are currently.

Without wanting to re open the debate about how good or bad the area is there are loads of places where away fans can sing the immortal "s**thole song" with some justification so it is not a beauty contest in that sense.

We have potential in my humble opinion but whether some of us will ever see it realised is another story!

The population of North East Lincolnshire is quoted as 157K ish, with an elderly population over 64 years of about 25%. This gives about 139K population of which about a further 18% are under 15 years old, taking away the unemployed leaves with a figure of just over 100K population. So what we are really looking at is slightly more than 100k people.

The other factor is the number of exiles, like Herts.GTFC who travels a 300-mile round trip, who also make the journey to watch Town.

Another main factor is that Town must play attractive football to give the fans something to cheer about and remember. So population wise it should just be manageable to sustain the club, with help of the exiles.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 70
Mappers
January 30, 2024, 11:31am
Champagne Drinker

I tend to agree .

It was a 'golden period' to unlock any potential through the 2000's -2010 ish ,imo a new stadium was key .

I think it's still possible but it will be way harder - there is just no 'free' money now is there , so it's going to be dependant on fixing in the model of player sales , somebody with a huge amount of capital to make us 'take off' (which mentioning Carlisle they have just achieved after promotion and are starting to throw money all over the place ) a combination of both or some other way and success on the field (getting upwardly out of league 2 would be a big help).

The catchment area is there I'm sure of that ,we just need  to gain forward momentum but for a longer period of time , like most clubs seem to do tbh, that seems to be our most basic fundamental flaw as a club if you strip it back it's always one step forward and 2 back which is highly frustrating really and seems on a loop .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
January 30, 2024, 12:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

The population of North East Lincolnshire is quoted as 157K ish, with an elderly population over 64 years of about 25%. This gives about 139K population of which about a further 18% are under 15 years old, taking away the unemployed leaves with a figure of just over 100K population. So what we are really looking at is slightly more than 100k people.

The other factor is the number of exiles, like Herts.GTFC who travels a 300-mile round trip, who also make the journey to watch Town.

Another main factor is that Town must play attractive football to give the fans something to cheer about and remember. So population wise it should just be manageable to sustain the club, with help of the exiles.

I live on the border of North East Lincolnshire and North Lincolnshire and there are thousands of extra possible fans  just outside the actual make up of the authority Grimsby and Cleethorpes sit in so 200k is about right. Then there is Louth and surrounding areas. I perhaps should have used catchment area rather than just NE Lincs. This is the advantage of being isolated if we can get it right on the field.

Regarding your other points there are plenty of other areas who have demographic problems of one sort or another.

The only thing missing is success on the field...and the momentum that would bring.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 70
DB
January 30, 2024, 2:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I live on the border of North East Lincolnshire and North Lincolnshire and there are thousands of extra possible fans  just outside the actual make up of the authority Grimsby and Cleethorpes sit in so 200k is about right. Then there is Louth and surrounding areas. I perhaps should have used catchment area rather than just NE Lincs. This is the advantage of being isolated if we can get it right on the field.

Regarding your other points there are plenty of other areas who have demographic problems of one sort or another.

The only thing missing is success on the field...and the momentum that would bring.

I agree with this, having travelled 30 miles each way to watch Town in the 1950's. There is huge potential that the club could tap into to bring in around 2,000 people. That number comes from what was the buses filling the now Findus stand car park to bring supporters in from the many surrounding villages. Of course nowadays people prefer to use their car but nevertheless, there is this potential for supporters. The only reason I referred to North East Lincs was that the post I answered did the same.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 70
Norseman
January 30, 2024, 11:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from DB

So are people over 64 ,under 15 and unemployed not supporters and shouldn't count
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 70
DB
January 31, 2024, 5:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Norseman

So are people over 64 ,under 15 and unemployed not supporters and shouldn't count

Of course, they count, but attracting new supporters in these age groups I think would be hard. Pocket money and a state pension of £203.85 per week do not help free up cash for them in that group.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 70
TuckerJenkins
January 31, 2024, 5:22am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +67
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from DB

Of course, they count, but attracting new supporters in these age groups I think would be hard. Pocket money and a state pension of £203.85 per week do not help free up cash for them in that group.

You ask most supporters and the started as kids. Dad pays usually, or maybe mum or grandad.

Flippin' 'eck Tucker!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 70
DB
January 31, 2024, 6:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TuckerJenkins

You ask most supporters and the started as kids. Dad pays usually, or maybe mum or grandad.

You also forgot to mention that young children were lifted over the turnstile as being too young to be made to pay. This happened to me many times over 60 years ago and now all pay, also the cost today is getting on for about £50 ish. Ticket, 2 pints, a pie, program and transport; more if you are an exile going to every home. Supporting football was very cheap years ago compared to today

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 70
HertsGTFC
January 31, 2024, 7:05am

Barley Wine Drinker

“The owners have tried to do too much too soon” that’s an odd comment considering how much there was to do.

I really don’t get that view to be honest.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 70
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › This season

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.