HerveJosse
January 28, 2024, 9:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from grimsby pete

Was thinking the same myself cracking goal today.

Where was.Bogle. Injured or already signed for us ?

Injured out for 8 weeks so not going anywhere
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 70
mike_d
January 28, 2024, 11:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from HertsGTFC

So recent form suggests we’ll be ok for 3pm starts at BP next season.

Even the last 6 games where we've been pretty poor, we've got better form than two teams below us, and one near us above.

That's on the fishy form table, last 6 games. Extrapolating that over the next 18 games would mean one team below us would overtake us. I think. Golly level stats may be needed. We'd also be three points behind Bradford for example with our game still in hand if we continued our form and they continued theirs...

Is it beyond the realms of impossibility that our team will improve, as we're assuming all the other teams will?

I know, clutching at straws.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 70
RonMariner
January 28, 2024, 11:56pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,716
Gold Stars: 226
We are about to face two teams far better than Tranmere so it’s going to be tough to get even one point out of them. We could easily find ourselves third bottom with our cushion eroded further.

This is definitely a very serious situation. We need at least a couple more new faces this coming week because I just don’t think we have the quality to guarantee our survival. It’s possible that the current bottom two might continue their poor form but we can’t be sure of that. We need to save ourselves by winning a few games.

We have seen some good football in patches since Artell arrived, so it’s not impossible, but we have been shockingly inconsistent and I think it may be down to not having a couple of strong leaders on the pitch to rally the troops when required.So I would say we need to bring in some experience rather than some youngsters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 70
1mickylyons
January 29, 2024, 7:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from RonMariner
We are about to face two teams far better than Tranmere so it’s going to be tough to get even one point out of them. We could easily find ourselves third bottom with our cushion eroded further.

This is definitely a very serious situation. We need at least a couple more new faces this coming week because I just don’t think we have the quality to guarantee our survival. It’s possible that the current bottom two might continue their poor form but we can’t be sure of that. We need to save ourselves by winning a few games.

We have seen some good football in patches since Artell arrived, so it’s not impossible, but we have been shockingly inconsistent and I think it may be down to not having a couple of strong leaders on the pitch to rally the troops when required.So I would say we need to bring in some experience rather than some youngsters.

DA doesn't seem keen on experience though we can read into that in two ways .Maybe he thinks you can't teach an old dog new tricks or maybe he's frightened they'll expose his frailties? Hopefully he pulls in a couple of solid defenders and cuts out the pathetic goals against that have plagued us since the Season started.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 70
diehardmariner
January 29, 2024, 9:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,625
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Hagrid
I said the same to my dad last night

I cant justify 400+ quid on non league football. Im 28, Im on my way to getting a mortgage on my own, bills etc just like us all, I cant afford to spend that sort of money watching us play the likes of Ebbsfleet again

It's an expense if it's non-league football or if it's league football.  You can either justify it or you can't.  

I wouldn't and won't call anyone out for deciding they can't or don't want to go, for whatever those reasons are.

But I can guarantee that the vast majority of people saying they won't renew on this thread, will have a different opinion when we put in another exciting performance next week or it's a really close entertaining game against Stockport in a fortnight.  Write this season off, accept it as it'll be very much a transition phase and it'll feel a lot, lot easier.

Saturday was awful, both in terms of the performance and as a spectacle.  That it was so drab was a surprise, that we stank the place out wasn't.  Artell is trying to bring about wholesale change with a lot of players who won't be here for that journey.  There's others threads to argue how sensible that is and I completely understand why people are crying out for just concentrating on this season (even if I disagree with it).  But you're going to be disappointed if you expect good performances every week for the next four months.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 70
ginnywings
January 29, 2024, 10:43am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,141
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from diehardmariner

It's an expense if it's non-league football or if it's league football.  You can either justify it or you can't.  

I wouldn't and won't call anyone out for deciding they can't or don't want to go, for whatever those reasons are.

But I can guarantee that the vast majority of people saying they won't renew on this thread, will have a different opinion when we put in another exciting performance next week or it's a really close entertaining game against Stockport in a fortnight.  Write this season off, accept it as it'll be very much a transition phase and it'll feel a lot, lot easier.

Saturday was awful, both in terms of the performance and as a spectacle.  That it was so drab was a surprise, that we stank the place out wasn't.  Artell is trying to bring about wholesale change with a lot of players who won't be here for that journey.  There's others threads to argue how sensible that is and I completely understand why people are crying out for just concentrating on this season (even if I disagree with it).  But you're going to be disappointed if you expect good performances every week for the next four months.

It's not about performances for me and some others who have posted in this thread. I have said I will renew if we are a league club, but not if we are non league.

There are other things I enjoy doing that football takes priority over currently, but that would switch if we went back down, and I'd probably only go to games if I was free on a Saturday or Tuesday night.

If I had a decision to make whether to go away for the weekend or stay home to watch Town play Kings Lynn, the match would get binned off, whereas if we were playing Notts County for instance, the football would win.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 70
diehardmariner
January 29, 2024, 12:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,625
Gold Stars: 539
Don't get me wrong ginny, I probably would be saying "I'm done" if we went down again.  

But I don't think we'll be in that situation.  

Was a thread before Xmas about enthusiasm for the football at the club and I was open enough to say I've struggled with it at quite a few points in the last decade or so, it's become less and less important to me and far more about the social aspect than the spectacle itself.

But that's come when we've sat in the league playing much bigger sides than Kings Lynn and the higher points of interest have come at times when we've been playing proper non-league minnows.  That's the nature of football and sure as hell it's the nature of GTFC, you get sucked back in before you can pluck up enough courage to fully leave.   Some will call it battered wide syndrome, some will call it an addiction.  Whatever it is, I honestly can't see a large percentage of fans not going because we're in non-league (myself included despite insisting I would stay away).

But I really do understand why people feel this way after Saturday.  I'm not going to clog up this thread with ripping apart the performances, but that's exactly the type of shower that will make anyone think they never want to watch a game of football at Blundell Park again.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 70
Yoda
January 29, 2024, 3:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
This season has been a disaster and looking at another rebuild again.
Just wait for the rallying call to pack the park to keep us up again how many times have we heard this.
I sick of hearing it season after season how about the players and management put on something worth watching.
Personally i think DA will be gone in 3 games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 70
RonMariner
January 29, 2024, 5:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,716
Gold Stars: 226
It's beginning to look very much like 2021 isn't it? At that time we were a few points above the drop zone when we changed manager, the squad seriously lacked quality, we were riddled with individual defensive errors and our trajectory was clearly downward during January.  

Then we brought in a few players in the window, but by the time we turned it around to any degree it was too late to keep us up.

We really need to bring in some serious upgrades, particularly at the back if we are to avoid a similar fate. We need players who can hit the ground running. It would be such a tragic waste if the impact of the magical 2022 play off campaign was to be wiped out by another relegation.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 70
The Caterham Mariner
January 29, 2024, 7:24pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +87
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from TAGG

I will renew again if we are a league club
If we get relegated, not a chance.
Done my stints in Non League but never again.

Your last sentence says it all, But i too will wait and see, make a decision closer to the time the thought of Woking ,Bromley and Ebbsfleet  Hhmmm No thanks.
But the wife will also  have some input "get out the house, buy a bloody fishing rod etc" comes to mind
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › This season

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.